What was wrong with what Ross Lyon did?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

crippa2sipa
Club Player

lendog heaven wrote:our website is emblazened with our new coach........in stark contrast to Freo's............they've got a new coach too haven't they...........?

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au
Geez, really scraping the bottom of the barrel there, mate...
Have you checked out the rest of the opposition or is Freo your second team?

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/Default.aspx
http://www.afc.com.au/Default.aspx

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote:
skeptic wrote:I guess my own personal beef with Ross was that I thought he was a passionate saints man

he could have stayed if he wanted...

he didn't... he's not
He never was and always spoke what people wanted to hear.
Also he had one set of rules and standards for his perceived best 22 and another for the developing players.Ghastly person ..good to see the back of him! :lol:
The Lyon supporters can use statistics and win loss ratios and bring up all sorts of arguments about what a brilliant year we had in Home and Away '09, about how close we were to such a dominant team in '10, but in the end, the biggest statistic is the most damning... Zero silverware!!!

One of the first things that Ross Lyon did in his first two years, that perhaps changed the hardness of the team, was when he dropped Milney and Dal in the same week. It was a shock to all and the media applauded him for his courage and we thanked him for being a tough bast#rd because, not only did we win that game, but it also scared the crapola out of the senior players and they knew that if they didn't perform, then they could be next. Perhaps, as is the case with coaches and players at many clubs, the coach starts building relationships with his senior group and he backs his stars if they play a few bad games in a row, instead of doing the tough things. Tough words are simply not enough and coaches that don't rotate enough of the senior list and select players on reputation rather than on form are bad coaches.

I didn't care if he was an arsehole as long as he was coaching well and as long as we gave ourselves a chance for a premiership. The fact that Ross didn't inject more players into the seniors lineup in 2009 and 2010 and didn't provide enough opportunities to younger players was to the detriment of the whole team. He couldn't get the best out of each and every player when it mattered most for an opportunity to get into the record books.

That is my biggest criticism of Lyon. That is what Lyon did wrong...He didn't plan things well enough when we were firing on all cylinders. Sure we have blokes with hearts as big as Lennys and we have blokes that followed the lead of one of the hardest working captains and role models as an athlete and a professional. Rooy and his men worked their asses off for their coach until they were exhausted but with Ross Lyon not having the balls to rest these guys ( even though they didn't want to be rested )...by being afraid of losing an insignificant game or two in h&a, you risk losing on the biggest stage and in the most important game of the year.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

The swagger and the droning monotone voice as well as yjr over use of cliches such as ---pleasing----process etc really grated on me!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Anyway...who gives a flying f*ck why he left....just be glad he did .

Finally we have people, coach included, running the football side of things who appreciate the need for player development, the problem is , they have to go backwards now to go forwards, all those years down the DRAIN....

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
elizabethr
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:Anyway...who gives a flying f*ck why he left....just be glad he did .

Finally we have people, coach included, running the football side of things who appreciate the need for player development, the problem is , they have to go backwards now to go forwards, all those years down the DRAIN....
This is the negative aspect mostly but better now than in another year when the older leadership players are totally past it. :(

nothing to say
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Take a chill pill Joffa

when you start getting a bit personal and abbusive.....you sound desperate...

and
Understand that your opinion of me is absolutely worthless so dont bother giving it