Excuse For Kosi This Week? Surprise! Surprise!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I reckon once you sign up to play or coach AFL footy, then you're fair game.
People will pot you, love you, hate you, whatever - it comes with the territory.

But....what I don't particularly like is when players or coaches get belittled.
If it's someone who you know doesn't put in or really care, then I can handle it. But when it's a guy who literally bleeds for the club and the sport and does the best he can without giving much thought to the impact on his long term personal life, then I find the belittling a bit unsavoury.

That's just my view.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Ok let's move on.

Kosi was crap against the Dees but we were fed party line BS by our club re what happend.

Clearly, Kosi is upset about his brain injury that was sustained years ago that may have left him permanently disabled to a degree.

My brother sustained a significant brain injury also from a sports related knock to the head and still, 4 years later, can't concentrate as he once could.

Kosi needs to be looked after by our club and may need a payout at the end of his tenure with us.

The poor bastard may have to live with this for his lifetime.

Good luck Koz.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Kosi was crap against the Dees but we were fed party line BS by our club re what happend.
What was the party line?

markinUSA
SS Life Member

I totally agree with saintspremiers.

I had a brain injury in 1992, still dealing with it daily, though most people wouldn't know to look at me.

It affects everything, from concentration to fatigue and awareness, to planning and everything else. Don't ever ever underestimate how it must have affected Kosi. Seriously, it's one of those things where... if you haven't walked a mile in those shoes, it's hard to even imagine what it's like.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I think there is an underlying issue here, for the whole AFL.

The new concussion rule has changed players attitudes towards concussion. To see in the HUN article that Kosi didn't mention the hit to the docs or trainers is a problem, knowing he would probably be out of the game if he did.

I'm waiting for Dimwit to have his 10 minutes on 3AW to sprout about the reduction of concussion injuries since the rule has been bought in, giving himself a bit pat on the back (and probably a payrise while he's at it), while the reality is we've got players running around concussed, too scared to tell anyone about it.

Is the AFL legit in it's claims that it is protecting the players with this rule, or are they simply fending off any future litigation problems, by forcing players to hide their symptoms from medical staff, therefore removing any record of injury that could be reproduced in court??

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:I think there is an underlying issue here, for the whole AFL.

The new concussion rule has changed players attitudes towards concussion. To see in the HUN article that Kosi didn't mention the hit to the docs or trainers is a problem, knowing he would probably be out of the game if he did.

I'm waiting for Dimwit to have his 10 minutes on 3AW to sprout about the reduction of concussion injuries since the rule has been bought in, giving himself a bit pat on the back (and probably a payrise while he's at it), while the reality is we've got players running around concussed, too scared to tell anyone about it.

Is the AFL legit in it's claims that it is protecting the players with this rule, or are they simply fending off any future litigation problems, by forcing players to hide their symptoms from medical staff, therefore removing any record of injury that could be reproduced in court??
The UFC make you sit out 45 days if you get concussed.

It certainly is an interesting point you raise.

Are the AFL fair dinkum about the players' health? Or are they merely covering their arses for future legal issues?

If it's about the former, than they're surely coming up well short with their rule.

If it's about the latter, then maybe their rule is a good one.

I mean, they harp on about the head being sacrosanct, but then a guy like Sean Dempster might play this week! He was deadset out cold only 7 days ago but it's within the rules for him to be out on the ground playing again within a week!
It's quite staggering if the AFL are serious about players' health.

It just seems like once again, the AFL have bungled yet another situation.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Good points Chris.

I'm sure their C grade lawyer Aids Anderson will sort it out lol!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Disgraceful thread full of hot air puffed out by some of the biggest Internet heroes this side of Facebook

Ill name names seeing as they all seem so keen to be blunt. Bernard, Dools and ace..there 3 for you..yes I know theres more..go take a good hard look at yourselves you bunch of alleged "supporters"

Good on those who have stuck by Kosi, and thats different to mindlessly defending him..shame a few cant see that

When the chips are down nice to see who your real friends are eh??
yeah good one Saints66au.

One thinks because he is a CS member, he can take pot shots at players is the most disgusting and demeaning of ways.

maybe this so called supporter could ask his father about brain injuries and their effects considering his dad is high up in the medical fraternity.

The other BS clown thinks he is a demi god of football knowledge because he goes to training.

ace is just an unfunny coward.

Nobody is asying Kosi is a superstar. I have been as dissapointed in Kosi as anybody. He is our Corey Mckernan and I am afraid that Kosi probably has seen his best days.

But the disparaging hatred displayed in this thread by people who are supposed to be supporters of the club and the players who go out every game and put their personal safety to one side is appalling.

Not one of the hero's on here would have the courage to abuse Kosi face to face the way they do hiding behind a keyboard :roll:

I was 20 metres away from Kosi (with bigred and Barks4eva) when Kosi got his skull fractured. He has tried to come back ever since then with limited success.

To hear the disgraceful disparaging of one of our players fills me with disgust.

You are a bunch of gutless cowards and dont deserve to be known as supporters.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Nobody is asying Kosi is a superstar. I have been as dissapointed in Kosi as anybody. He is our Corey Mckernan and I am afraid that Kosi probably has seen his best days.

But the disparaging hatred displayed in this thread by people who are supposed to be supporters of the club and the players who go out every game and put their personal safety to one side is appalling.

Not one of the hero's on here would have the courage to abuse Kosi face to face the way they do hiding behind a keyboard :roll:
Spot on joff!

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I feel very sad for Kosi & get very frustrated at some of our supporters who pot him relentlessly.

At the time of his 'clash' with Giansiracusa, I was undergoing treatment with a medical professional who was also employed at St Kilda. In passing he said that Kosi's injury was much more serious than many thought & his playing career was in real jeopardy.

The fact that the man came back from that injury to play one of the most dangerous contact sports in the world is a testimony to his courage. It has been quite obvious to all that have eyes that he was a different player afterwards.

He still throws himself into packs with great courage & whilst his true football ability has been diminished he still plays his role within the team.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gives it away at the end of the season & I'd hope supporters stop being self indulgent know all wankers & give him the support that he deserves.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Disgraceful thread full of hot air puffed out by some of the biggest Internet heroes this side of Facebook

Ill name names seeing as they all seem so keen to be blunt. Bernard, Dools and ace..there 3 for you..yes I know theres more..go take a good hard look at yourselves you bunch of alleged "supporters"

Good on those who have stuck by Kosi, and thats different to mindlessly defending him..shame a few cant see that

When the chips are down nice to see who your real friends are eh??
I love the irony of these types of posts.
Saint66au and Mr. Magic you always seem to post in a nice passive aggressive manner and I think it’s fantastic. Having all different types of characters is what makes the place interesting.
This site would have far less credibility without genius elder statesmen like you being involved. I always enjoy reading your input.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:what did you expect??

people take shots if players dont perform

kozi hasnt performed well this year has he?
See I disagree with this M.

He was good before the Melbourne game.

He was building and finding form.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

Players may not be performing for 3 main reasons:

1. Not putting in enough effort
2. Fitness issues
3. Genuine loss of form

So Matrix, yes if players aren’t performing people will take pot shots. Trouble is that some are potting him for reason 1 whereas to my thinking any issues Kosi is having arise from a combination of 2 and 3.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Players may not be performing for 3 main reasons:

2. Fitness issues
3. Genuine loss of form

So Matrix, yes if players aren’t performing people will take pot shots. Trouble is that some are potting him for reason 1 whereas to my thinking any issues Kosi is having arise from a combination of 2 and 3.
I think it is fair enough for supporters to criticise players who are out of form for being out of form.

But, on this forum, a player only needs to lose form for a little while and up go cries of "useless! trade him! delist him! won't win a premiership with him in the side", etc.

Meanwhile, absolute mountains of praise get heaped on the heads of young players whom the posters have barely seen pull on a fair of footy boots, let alone have any idea how they are likely to perform in the high pressure AFL environment.

Kosi, while not the player he was before 2006, continues to represent good value at AFL level. He didn't play well against the Demons, but did play very well the week before that. Unlike the much-praised (and, once again last weekend, far from impressive) Tom Lynch, Kosi represents a genuine threat to opposing teams and draws a good opponent. Maybe he doesn't kick that many goals himself, but football is a team game.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Kosi was crap against the Dees but we were fed party line BS by our club re what happend.
What was the party line?
Ankle injury.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon moderators should scrub this thread

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Johnny Member wrote:I reckon once you sign up to play or coach AFL footy, then you're fair game.
People will pot you, love you, hate you, whatever - it comes with the territory.

But....what I don't particularly like is when players or coaches get belittled.
If it's someone who you know doesn't put in or really care, then I can handle it. But when it's a guy who literally bleeds for the club and the sport and does the best he can without giving much thought to the impact on his long term personal life, then I find the belittling a bit unsavoury.
Here here. It's more than a bit unsavoury, though. It's pathetic and disgraceful.

On a side note, though, if he or anyone else is concerned about his head, why the hell isn't he WEARING A HELMET:?:
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Tue 31 May 2011 3:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I reckon moderators should scrub this thread
This.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote: But the disparaging hatred displayed in this thread by people who are supposed to be supporters of the club and the players who go out every game and put their personal safety to one side is appalling.
Disparaging hatred? You must be reading a different thread. Please point out anything that slightly resembles hatred.
Criticism of a non performing player is in no way hatred.
You need to get a grip.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote: Players may not be performing for 3 main reasons:

2. Fitness issues
3. Genuine loss of form

My opinion is that reason 2 and 3 are caused by 1.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

So what were your intentions in creating the thread Bernard?

The thread title reads something like 'what is the excuse for Kosi this week, surprise surprise'

Not 'Have we other options as I think Kosi is underperforming'

It just reads poorly IMO, especially given the circumstances.

You don't think that's a fair point?

You told me you don't like abuse of players that play for us, this thread just encourages it IMO.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Kosi is finished as a footballer in this league and has been for a long time. Move on.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Little Dozer wrote:Kosi is finished as a footballer in this league and has been for a long time. Move on.
He was great throughout 2009 with the exception of a wet & wild GF day.

It probably helped that he was getting the ball delivered nicely, which none of our forwards have enjoyed consistently since.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:So what were your intentions in creating the thread Bernard?

The thread title reads something like 'what is the excuse for Kosi this week, surprise surprise'

You told me you don't like abuse of players that play for us, this thread just encourages it IMO.
The title is "Excuse For Kosi This Week? I edited it on Saturday by adding "Surprise! Surprise!" after the club gave the rather weak excuse that he had ankle soreness.

The reason for starting the thread is that I find the constant excuses for Kosi over the past five or six years rather amusing. He gets more latitude than anyone who has ever pulled on the red white and black.

You may think it reads poorly in the circumstances, however the supposed circumstances were not known at the time. I reckon he contributed to the strange concussion by not contesting the ruck contest. How can you allow an opponent to knee you in the head when you are 6 foot 6 tall?

I'm not abusing Kosi, just questioning his commitment and value to the team.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:So what were your intentions in creating the thread Bernard?

SainterK I've got to be honest it wasn't until recently that I realised you were female. In hindsight it is obvious. Please don't take this post the wrong way as I'm just making an observation.