VFL rd 7- Sandringham vs Box Hill - Reports

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:PS The weather could have been worse- only a light breeze and barely a shower during the seniors

have been there when it has hailed and blown a Gail...- so all thing considered it was bareable.

Sandringham have a bye next round and don't play again till May 29th.
time for a few sore boys to have a rest and recover.
didnt they just have a bye 2 weeks ago?

so 6 games played up until may 29. how long is the season? 20 games?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Lynch in the best again......surprises

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

The response was immediate and effective as our on ballers in Magner, Irving and Smith exerted a great deal more aggression around the packs. The defensive aspects of our game also reappeared as the Zebras did not allow Box Hill any space as Simpkin, Walsh, Peake, Fleming and Clarke repelled many attacks.

The increased work rate from all players stalled the Hawks scoring to only one goal, while also adding a goal against breeze. By the end of the third term we had worked our way back into the game.

The final term was easily our best as we simply fought hard to get the ball forward. We began to run and carry the ball as Smith, Heyne, Lynch, Waller, Ledger, Michaeliades, and Crocker provided better delivery to our key forwards. They were able to really assert themselves and kick 6 goals. The untimely loss of Andrews and Johnson in the final term did not help. We continued to create opposition turnovers and reduced their lead significantly.

With only minutes remaining Tom Lynch took a most courageous mark running with the flight of the ball which saw him collide with a Box Hill player and the game had to be stopped as he was carried from the ground with the scores tied.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

It's really strange how last year Sandy were running around like headless chooks while the Seniors flew. Not the Seniors are doing the chicken running and Sandy are all of a sudden a bloody hard side to play against because they have a red hot go.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:It's really strange how last year Sandy were running around like headless chooks while the Seniors flew. Not the Seniors are doing the chicken running and Sandy are all of a sudden a bloody hard side to play against because they have a red hot go.
it's all about, hope opportunity and gabbing your chance,,,well it is for the sandy boys...last year those things were lacking.....now the door is wide open....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info. ... onID=56266
>>>>>>>>>>>>After a rough couple of weeks Peter Shakallis responded by displaying a lot more aggression at the contest and doing his best to lead the way in this area whilst also gathering 17 possessions. Kiefer Smith-Cameron did his best to hold the defence together with a 20 possession, 7 tackle game along with St Kilda Rookie Tom Curren who worked tirelessly in trying conditions with 20 possessions and 10 ball gets, in another very good game this year for Sandringham. We have a lot of work to do as a group in the maturity of our team and it’s leadership and that is what will be a major focus throughout this coming week leading into the bye. An improvement in both these areas as well as a consistent four quarter effort should see the results start to turn our way. We have a group of guys that off the field are fine young men with nice personalities, however once you step in to the competitive world of VFL football, you need to also possess a fierce desire to compete and a hunger to beat your opponent.

Vince Lomabardi was once quoted as saying “Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thingâ€

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
savatage
SS Life Member

Tom Curren won't be playing reserves for much longer. He'll be very good at VFL senior level soon.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:It's really strange how last year Sandy were running around like headless chooks while the Seniors flew. Not the Seniors are doing the chicken running and Sandy are all of a sudden a bloody hard side to play against because they have a red hot go.
Would you believe it's because Sandy have a really committed coach who knows what he's doing and couldn't give a stuff about St Kilda?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

If I'm not mistaken the Box Hill player who knocked out Lynch was Adam Pattison

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Good to hear Lynchy is ok after his big Hit

Vision of it on today Injury report.
http://www.saints.com.au/season2011/inj ... fault.aspx

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Belatedly my update at Box Hill:

Simpkin - solid, generally continues to impress (in my view will develop into a very good player, and I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a crack very soon)
Winmar - getting into better positions
Smith - great endeavour all day and got alot of the ball (had the filthiest shorts)
Walsh - ever so slightly continues to show a bit, kicking (aside from one out on the full) looks very attractive, growing in confidence and reckon he'll start to go for it soon, can see him eventually playing forward
Clarke - did a couple of 'classic clarkes' but was very effective (especially in the air) in tricky conditions for his style
Crocker - saw two of the much talked about penetrating left footers which looked very nice, got clean hands and a natural running athlete
Peake - probably the best game I've seen him play this year, utilised his pace and didn't 'go off wondering' like he has done when with the ball, likely to get a recall imo
Gamble - new haircut
Heyne - looked a real player in part, good physically now
Ledger - got better as the game went on and was influencial, speedy and direct

That's about it

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:Belatedly my update at Box Hill:

Simpkin - solid, generally continues to impress (in my view will develop into a very good player, and I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a crack very soon)
Smith - great endeavour all day and got alot of the ball (had the filthiest shorts)
Walsh - ever so slightly continues to show a bit, kicking (aside from one out on the full) looks very attractive, growing in confidence and reckon he'll start to go for it soon, can see him eventually playing forward
Clarke - did a couple of 'classic clarkes' but was very effective (especially in the air) in tricky conditions for his style
Crocker - saw two of the much talked about penetrating left footers which looked very nice, got clean hands and a natural running athlete
Peake - probably the best game I've seen him play this year, utilised his pace and didn't 'go off wondering' like he has done when with the ball, likely to get a recall imo
Gamble - new haircut

That's about it
Hey Millar, a few comments on here lately re Walsh's pace, or lack thereof.

Your thoughts?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote: Gamble - new haircut

That's about it
classic!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
millarsaint wrote: Gamble - new haircut

That's about it
classic!
Reminds me of the You Am I song Rumble:

"Got a new haircut, It cost me just six bucks...." :D

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
millarsaint wrote:Belatedly my update at Box Hill:

Gamble - new haircut

That's about it
Hey Millar, a few comments on here lately re Walsh's pace, or lack thereof.

Your thoughts?
I think for a guy who's 195cm he's pretty quick. Noone looked particularly fast on Saturday at Box Hill. He's definitely got endurance running. A few times this season I've seen him provide outstanding run off the ball out of the backline - this aspect he seems to have picked up well and is considerably willing to do it (backing himself). Unsure if it's something more natural to him from his previous sport - but wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.
Would be majorly surprised if he is not elevated this season. He is still perhaps not quite ready but he will be at some point no doubt imo (from one Doctor to another :))

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY