3 Decisions That Cost The Club History

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/h ... 1cgct.html
No one from the new or the old regime at Moorabbin can remember just how clearly Jack came into contention and the man who chose Armitage, recruiter John Beveridge, declined to discuss an opposition player this week.

FAIR DINKUM :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Has most likely cost us two premierships already!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/h ... 1cgct.html
No one from the new or the old regime at Moorabbin can remember just how clearly Jack came into contention and the man who chose Armitage, recruiter John Beveridge, declined to discuss an opposition player this week.

FAIR DINKUM :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Has most likely cost us two premierships already!
Probably cost the Western Bulldogs a premiership also with their decision to draft Everitt (since given the flick) instead of Jack.

Why no attempt to talk to their recruiting staff???

Just because we had Nick doesn't mean we were the only ones that should've drafted him. It's not like we had the inside oil on the Riewoldt family's football ability - it was fairly well known by then!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:Wonder if Richmond fans are wondering what there forward line would look tomorrow night if they'd taken Buddy over Tambling :wink:
And/or Pavlich over Fiora!
I read somewhere that Pavlich could have been taken by anyone at any draft pick the year before... But no one did.

And I also remember Freo being quoted as saying they would have taken Fiora first as well - given how dominate he had been.

Thing is - The difference between 18 and 22 is enormous. Its hard enough to rate/rank players at their peak let alone when they are still kids.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BTW It isnt a coincidence that the year Richo retired... Jack improved immediately.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:BTW It isnt a coincidence that the year Richo retired... Jack improved immediately.
I said that a couple of pages ago Spinner, I see no prood to suggest he could co-exist in a forward line with someone as dominant as Roo, given his growth and development has been a result of being the only option after Richo retired.

Be interesting to see how Richmond go developing another tall, and if he can learn to share the load.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Everyone needs to stop looking in the rear view mirror.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

I was disappointed when we took Ball or Judd, but in the first 4 season post draft, Ball was a fine pick...

Noone could have predicted his injury troubles to come...
His AA year was outstanding, and while Im not saying he was, or would have become as good as Judd, he was a very very good player before he was cut down...

In his final years as a Saints, and now at the Pies, he is not even a shadow of what he was... No point comparing now, but Ball could seriously play...

I would not swap McEvoy for Rioli now, let alone then with hindsight... I have huge faith in BigMac, and he will be in the very elite groups of Rucks in the AFL very soon... He'll be a Saint great IMO...

The Jack Riewoldt v's Armo one stings tho... IMO, Jack was a no brainer at the time, yet we drafted the Queenslander Armo ahead of him... This is not Armo bashing, who I believe is a handy player and will develop into more with more opportunity, but Jack will be the best goal kicker in the comp for the next 10 years...

Frawley would've been handy also... That was our poorest draft, that cost us most IMO....

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

AND taking Ball ahead of Judd had most likely cost us another two!

Butterss coached Judd in under 14's and urged Thomas to take him BEFORE Ball, but Thomas wanted his love child first!

Then put him on $600,000 our second highest paid player, more than Lenny Hayes, FAIR DINKUM which ultimately caused massive problems later

along with ignoring "training services" and playing Ball into the ground

Are the DNA results in yet?

Who could forget Thomas and Bundy giving up not just pick 6 for Barry Brooks, apparently this wasn't value enough, we had to throw in our second round pick to sweeten the deal, seriously, FAIR DINKUM

Hilarious

Not selecting Riewoldt was and is a monumental **** UP

NO HINDSIGHT AT ALL, I would have drafted him and was hoping we would

As if placing our hopes on Kosi rediscovering his form from 2005 wasn't galling enough

:roll:

FAIR DINKUM

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Everyone needs to stop looking in the rear view mirror.
You need to stop looking at me! It's freakin' me out.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Not selecting Riewoldt was and is a monumental **** UP

In hindsight. :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Of course we should have got Jack because he is Rooy's cousin. Doesnt matter that probably not one person on here saw him play more than one game or our forward line at the time didnt need a player like him. He is rooy's cousin. Havent heard many hero's say we should have got Jack's brother lately but there were plenty saying we should have before the draft. Again I doubt anyone saw that guy play more than one game.

Must say I find it funny when people claim they would have picked so and so and then say they mentioned it before the draft. They then fail to mention the hundreds they get wrong. Hindsight is a wonderful way of recruiting.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Havent heard many hero's say we should have got Jack's brother lately but there were plenty saying we should have before the draft. Again I doubt anyone saw that guy play more than one game.
Hey mate, lets not get ahead of ourselves...at least wait 4 years after he's been recruited by someone before we start making such claims.

Speaking of hindsight...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:AND taking Ball ahead of Judd had most likely cost us another two!

Butterss coached Judd in under 14's and urged Thomas to take him BEFORE Ball, but Thomas wanted his love child first!

Then put him on $600,000 our second highest paid player, more than Lenny Hayes, FAIR DINKUM which ultimately caused massive problems later

Who could forget Thomas and Bundy giving up not just pick 6 for Barry Brooks, apparently this wasn't value enough, we had to throw in our second round pick to sweeten the deal, seriously, FAIR DINKUM

Hilarious

As if placing our hopes on Kosi rediscovering his form from 2005 wasn't galling enough

FAIR DINKUM
Seriously, how many posters on here who live outside Tassie actually saw a lot of Jack playing before the draft?

He got a few items in the press in Melbourne but that was mainly due to his surname.

I was keen to see him come to St Kilda but only due to the family connection; not due to any inate knowledge of his ability. And I certainly wasn't worried about which pick we used on him.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:I was disappointed when we took Ball over Judd, but in the first 4 season post draft, Ball was a fine pick...

...His AA year was outstanding, and while Im not saying he was, or would have become as good as Judd, he was a very good player before he was cut down...

I would not swap McEvoy for Rioli now, let alone then with hindsight... I have huge faith in BigMac, and he will be in the very elite groups of Rucks in the AFL very soon...

The Jack Riewoldt v's Armo one stings tho...
Frawley would've been handy also... That was our poorest draft, that cost us most IMO....
Yes I don't think many are saying Ball is no good - it's just that they could have worked out to get both Judd and Ball at 2 & 5

Agree, doubt I would swap McEvoy for Rioli either, then or now :shock:

Not sure on the Armitage/Riewoldt/Frawley one yet - jury still out for mine

Stand your ground :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:AND taking Ball ahead of Judd had most likely cost us another two!

Hilarious

FAIR DINKUM
You can say it thousand times but lies are still lies and this is one big lie. Admit it. You have no idea.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:

NO HINDSIGHT at all, wanted him drafted at the time!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
degruch wrote:

NO HINDSIGHT at all, wanted him drafted at the time!
Good-o. Well, I wasn't on this forum to argue, so I'll take it as you say.

However, I think we had a very crowded forward line at the time, and a need for a hard in-under midfielder, so we picked accordingly. Jack nearly made it to the second round...had he done so, I'm sure we'd have had a crack.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Hilarious

FAIR DINKUM
You can say it thousand times but lies are still lies and this is one big lie. Admit it. You have no idea.
Correct P66. I've corrected B4E many times over the years on the Ball v Judd recruiting. He always puts it on Thomo.

It was Brian Waldron that stuck his bib in and made sure Ball was recruited, not Thomo. Thomo was only a virgin coach at the time. He relied on other more experienced heads for recruiting. Wally was his experienced head.

As for Brooks. Yep. Bundy plumped for him, Thomo upped the ante. Mistake for sure.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

SainterK has hit the nail on the head. Not even Richmond supporters thought J. Riewoldt was any good when they got him and he first started playing. He got a game purely b/c he played for a crap team and they HAD to play the kids. He was not an accurate kick for goal or even a particularly long lick. Richo WAS their fwd line, just like J. Riewoldt is now. I reckon if we had of approached the tiges at the start of 2010 and said we'd swap Kosi for Riewoldt, they would have at the very least considered it.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:SainterK has hit the nail on the head. Not even Richmond supporters thought J. Riewoldt was any good when they got him and he first started playing.
Absolutely, my Tigers mates were thrilled to pieces he popped up out of nowhere last year...before that they'd almost put him in the same basket as Fiora, McMahon, Tambling, etc. God, I can only imagine how many pages their recuiting what-if threads go for!

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Butterss coached Judd in under 14's and urged Thomas to take him BEFORE Ball, but Thomas wanted his love child first!

What?!! The president getting involved in the draft because he coached a 13yo old kid!!

You're kidding right?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
barks4eva wrote:Butterss coached Judd in under 14's and urged Thomas to take him BEFORE Ball, but Thomas wanted his love child first!

What?!! The president getting involved in the draft because he coached a 13yo old kid!!

You're kidding right?
'What' ain't any country I ever heard of.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Redrafting G in 2007 was a big mistake. Apparently, Michael Barlow was in the mix as he trained with us in the preseason. It's still hindsight though.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Of course we should have got Jack because he is Rooy's cousin. Doesnt matter that probably not one person on here saw him play more than one game or our forward line at the time didnt need a player like him. He is rooy's cousin. Havent heard many hero's say we should have got Jack's brother lately but there were plenty saying we should have before the draft. Again I doubt anyone saw that guy play more than one game.

Must say I find it funny when people claim they would have picked so and so and then say they mentioned it before the draft. They then fail to mention the hundreds they get wrong. Hindsight is a wonderful way of recruiting.
Correct.

Add to that - Im fairly certain Riewoldt of the Jack variety played his games in the backline during his final year.... Wasnt even touted as a forward.

Im fairly certain he played backline for Tas in the carnival.

So were we looking for a backman? Or did people on here predict he would turn into a superstar FF??

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:

You're kidding right?
The president wasn't involved in the draft Johnny, just that he suggested that in his opinion we should use our first pick on Judd, but obviously he had no say in the final decision!

Having coached Judd in the under 14's RB had seen enough to know in his opinion Judd should have been our first selection!