Edit: NO TRADES!!! Saints to not be big traders....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

I Love Peter Kiel wrote:"Obviously you haven't been listening all year and ESPECIALLY the last few days. .....

How we didn't win the spoon this year has me amazed! "

The comments people make on this forum are not necessarily the truth. You cannot be serious that we should have won the spoon. NO clubs have unbeatable lists any more. That's the point of the draft, salary cap and national competition.

Plus, a list is not everything. For example , Geelong will still have a pretty good list on paper in 2011 but I believe they will dive down the ladder. New coach, players getting older etc.
No, I am not serious. Go back and read my post. The comments were made 'tongue in cheek'. They were not my comments, they are comments that have been made by the media. My point was that the way they have been talking about our list, we should have won the spoon.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
kalsaint
Club Player

saintlee wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Man, if we have to go again with this same list, we've seriously got our work cut out for us. 3 chances to win a flag in just over 12 months and 5 prelims in the past 7 seasons, with this core group, and no flag from any of that and they're all of a sudden going to do it next year, with all the mental scarring that is likely after all these missed opportunities? That will take a monumental effort.
I agree. Problem is the salary cap. We have no room unless we trade out some players. Doesn't sound like RL and co want to do that....
To progress we will have to trade.
To not trade means no improvement.
What happened with Lovett? Do we get a reprieve to the team salary cap given his sacking?

We cant keep the last 6-8 players without an investment in pace.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints to not be big traders....

St Kilda is paying close to 100 per cent of its salary cap, leaving the Saints with little opportunity to recruit players from rival clubs in this week's player.

So be it.

This surely represents the chance for Steven, Stanley, Geary, Armitage, Miles, Walsh, Heyne etc to grab a guernsey and make it their own.

We need what Collingwood had this season and we had in 2009 ... Intense competition for just about every spot.

The Magpies made some hard calls on veterans keeping kids out of the 22 and are now reaping the benefits.

We need to do the same and, of course, we need to do it wisely. It will upset the pecking order and no doubt put noses out of joint, but (IMO) it has to be done for us to have another shot at the Holy Grail any time soon.

It's a tough business and there is only limited room for sentiment. Anyone not producing needs to be looking over his shoulder.

No exceptions.

There needs to be greater emphasis on kicking winning scores and developing a killer instinct, but I'll leave that to another thread.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
St Kilda is paying close to 100 per cent of its salary cap, leaving the Saints with little opportunity to recruit players from rival clubs in this week's player.

So be it.

This surely represents the chance for Steven, Stanley, Geary, Armitage, Miles, Walsh, Heyne etc to grab a guernsey and make it their own.

We need what Collingwood had this season and we had in 2009 ... Intense competition for just about every spot.

The Magpies made some hard calls on veterans keeping kids out of the 22 and are now reaping the benefits.

We need to do the same and, of course, we need to do it wisely. It will upset the pecking order and no doubt put noses out of joint, but (IMO) it has to be done for us to have another shot at the Holy Grail any time soon.

It's a tough business and there is only limited room for sentiment. Anyone not producing needs to be looking over his shoulder.

No exceptions.

There needs to be greater emphasis on kicking winning scores and developing a killer instinct, but I'll leave that to another thread.
The Pies are a million miles ahead of us in player development given the young age and maturing of their list of the next few years.

They also are going to turn over quite a lot of dead wood, so should be able to snare at least one or two guns that will help them in 3 or 4 years time.

Make no mistake - they could do a Geelong or Brisbane Lions and dominate for the next 3 or 4 seasons, wouldn't surprise me.

Just hoping the players you named develop is not enough IMO, we need to find/draft/trade for 2 or 3 other players that fill the gaps.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The harsh truth is, our list are either required players or have no trade currency unless sweetened with picks, which RL is on the record as saying he's keen to use on youth

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:we need to find/draft/trade for 2 or 3 other players that fill the gaps.
The indications are that we will not, but who knows.

I'd prefer to develop our own rather than throw in more discards ... unless we can get a real bargain somewhere.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

So be it.

No exceptions.

The Pies are a million miles ahead of us in player development given the young age and maturing of their list of the next few years.

They also are going to turn over quite a lot of dead wood, so should be able to snare at least one or two guns that will help them in 3 or 4 years time.

Make no mistake - they could do a Geelong or Brisbane Lions and dominate for the next 3 or 4 seasons, wouldn't surprise me.

Just hoping the players you named develop is not enough IMO, we need to find/draft/trade for 2 or 3 other players that fill the gaps.
Could also do a Hawthorn of 2008 :wink:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saints football manager Greg Hutchison tells #tradeweek radio his club will be quiet over the next few days. Doesn't expect much action.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Saints football manager Greg Hutchison tells #tradeweek radio his club will be quiet over the next few days. Doesn't expect much action.
:( thats no fun

Sainter for life.
saintlee
Club Player

SaintSimmo wrote:
SainterK wrote:Saints football manager Greg Hutchison tells #tradeweek radio his club will be quiet over the next few days. Doesn't expect much action.
Personally I'm happy we won't be trading much. I would prefer we focus on finding some decent kids after last year's wasted draft.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

saintlee wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:
Personally I'm happy we won't be trading much. I would prefer we focus on finding some decent kids after last year's wasted draft.
true but there are some good quality players up for trade this year which would suit us quite well but clearly we dont have the $$$

Sainter for life.
saintlee
Club Player

SaintSimmo wrote:
saintlee wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:
true but there are some good quality players up for trade this year which would suit us quite well but clearly we dont have the $$$
Exactly why we should focus on the draft, we simply don't have the salary cap room.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:
saintlee wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:
A lot of them have gone already, with the life sucked out of the draft, clubs who need them are probably paying big bucks for guys like Grigg, Walker, Sherman, Trarrant, Krakour, etc. As per Dtream Team...don't trade sideways...any trades for the rest of the week would seem to be doing this IMO.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

It's an awesome draft apparently.

Take the picks.

You never know.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:It's an awesome draft apparently.
Guy McKenna wrote: "It sure is...and I'm going to eat up the lot of it!"
Trade week is an opportunity to improve our list. It's given us so much in recent years where the draft has failed us.

And I mean failed. Our drafting in recent times has been diabolical.

Thanks goodness for trade week is all I have to say.

Good trading and good drafting should not be mutually exclusive.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saintlee
Club Player

evertonfc wrote: Trade week is an opportunity to improve our list. It's given us so much in recent years where the draft has failed us.

And I mean failed. Our drafting in recent times has been diabolical.

Thanks goodness for trade week is all I have to say.

So you don't rate Steven, Heyne, Stanley, Jones, McEvoy, Geary etc who we have picked up in the draft or rookie draft in the last couple of years?

I think we have done quite well from trading, but it is not the answer this year IMO.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

UPDATE: Trades have closed.

And no trades at all for the Saints.

Not players...and not an exchange of picks either as the ctas have for example done.

Looking at the players traded there was little of interest to us that would have benefited our list, that we could have afforded (ie forget Brennan).

ie Sherman was there..but we have Stevem, Armo and Alias all ready for a crack.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 11 Oct 2010 2:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintlee
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:UPDATE: Trades have closed.

As expected. That's what the club said at the start of trade week.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:UPDATE: Trades have closed.

Not players...and not an exchange of picks either as the ctas have for example done.

Looking at the players traded there was little of inyterest to us that would have benefited our list, that we could have afforded (ie forget Brennan).

ie Sherman was there..but we have Stevem, Armo and Alias all ready for a crack.
no surprise giving we dont even have any recruitment/list staff on our friggin payroll.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Still would have liked us to trade for picks...

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:

agree..

1/ But this year were there players on offer that were better than what we had?

2/ What players on our list would you have traded?

Some may say Kosi for example. But realistically what would we have gained for him?
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 11 Oct 2010 2:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

I for one am very glad we didn't trade. The quality of the players that were being thrown around were IMO not what we need. Obviously if there was a no brainer I would've been all for it. We have been caught out before with trading good ordinary players. Time to work with what we have.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:Still would have liked us to trade for picks...
What players would you have used to achieve that...with an estimated value?

Would have been slim pickings IMO.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:I for one am very glad we didn't trade. The quality of the players that were being thrown around were IMO not what we need. .
Yes I agree...from the players traded , or suggested as being available.

If you trade in a player there has to be the intent that he will get senior game time, otherwise he would not join in the first place.

Steven, Armo, Alias, Heyne, Stanley, Miles, Simpkin...are all wortha crack.
If we had traded in some more middle to bottom 6 players this young group would not have been inspired to step-up.

And we were not in a position to trade in a star....unless we were willing to trade out a star...and we do not appear to have surplus of stars in any positions.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 11 Oct 2010 3:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Looks like our young players will be given a huge crack at making a spot their own this year.

Sainter for life.