Discussion about the captaincy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:
snoopygirl wrote:
Spinner wrote:
SainterK wrote:Nobody has to agree, it's just a discussion and opinion.
And its a stupid discussion... featuring pathetic and uninformed opinions.

BJ would make an average captain... Seen how he communicates on the field to the players??? Yells at them.

Riewodlt is the best player in the competition, and the best leader.

Forwards dont always preform in big games because sometime their pathetic midfields dont get the ball down, and when they do... they butcher it.

Any so... What difference would changing the captaincy make to the team.... Absoltuely nothing. Zero effect.

Why not discuss something that will at least make a difference.

Maybe we need someone who will yell at the players out there on the field instead of accepting pea hearted efforts.

I'm getting sick of reading rubbish about how poor Nick will feel if he is relieved of the captaincy etc. What about how the long suffering supporters feel about being deprived of a flag yet again?

You think we were denied a flag because Riewoldt has the captaincy...

It humours me how you think that it even makes a difference.
Not sure that's exactly what I said however given the mood everyone has been in since Saturday I'm glad I could humour you. :wink: I was merely pointing out other options to scenarios that have been suggested here. For the record, I would have preferred Lenny to be captain but that's no secret.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I've got enough faith in the maturity, humility, selflesness and team ethic of Roo to know that he'll stand down as Captain if he feels the Club/Team will benefit.

Personally I don't see any need/reason for him to do it in th near future.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I've got enough faith in the maturity, humility, selflesness and team ethic of Roo to know that he'll stand down as Captain if he feels the Club/Team will benefit.

Personally I don't see any need/reason for him to do it in th near future.
I am more in the line of thinking that it will benefit him, not the team.

Nicky Winmore

When things don't go to plan & the same patterns keep recurring over & over again common sense dictates there has to be change.

Nick is a great captain, a superstar player and a great guy but when all is said and done he bears the scars of disappointment & defeat arising from the huge weight he carries on his shoulders. When he fails the whole team drops their heads. (eg the game was all over after the Heath Shae smother).

Ask yourself who would you honestly want with the ball in their hands after the siren has gone in the grand final with an opportunity to win the game from 40m out straight in front. BJ or Nick?

BJ has mongrel in him. A true captain has to have this quality. Nick tries to be in this space from time to time but is unconvincing, it just doesn't suit him. Yes we can take the easy option & make BJ captain in 3 or 4 years time. It will be too late by then. Courage brings its own reward. BJ needs to be made Captain now for the good of the team and to give us the best chance to be Premiers in 2011.

Of course this isnt the only change required but it will get us heading in the right direction. St Kilda has to reinvent itself after what has happened in the past 2 years.

Saints Footy has to change. It bears many great qualities but ultimately is likely to fall short against a team like Collingwood. Our theme has to be
" attack". Not in the no defence manner of Essendon but attack the football, attack through defence, attack on goal. An attacking team mind set combined with skill is an overwhelming force that will defeat any opponent. Easier said than done & requires supreme fitness & confidence but this what is required in 2011.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

snoopygirl wrote:
Spinner wrote:
SainterK wrote:Nobody has to agree, it's just a discussion and opinion.
And its a stupid discussion... featuring pathetic and uninformed opinions.

BJ would make an average captain... Seen how he communicates on the field to the players??? Yells at them.

Riewodlt is the best player in the competition, and the best leader.

Forwards dont always preform in big games because sometime their pathetic midfields dont get the ball down, and when they do... they butcher it.

Any so... What difference would changing the captaincy make to the team.... Absoltuely nothing. Zero effect.

Why not discuss something that will at least make a difference.

Maybe we need someone who will yell at the players out there on the field instead of accepting pea hearted efforts.

I'm getting sick of reading rubbish about how poor Nick will feel if he is relieved of the captaincy etc. What about how the long suffering supporters feel about being deprived of a flag yet again?
Let’s see.

* The players are seeking the biggest prize in their chosen sport.

* That chance may never come again.

* Most of them already know the hurt of defeat from 2009, a hurt that has been reinforced by the draw 7 days earlier.

* Apart from the glory of a Premiership, most if not all of the winning team will be rewarded financially for the rest of their playing days, and in many cases, beyond.

* They have put themselves through an arduous 26 week season, made harder by hurdle after hurdle appearing in their paths.

* Patched up, they head into battle in week 27 in a do or die match.

Considering all that, these players should be pretty motivated. They should be absolutely 110% ready to play as well as they possibly can in the circumstances. I know I would.

And yet if we are to believe some posters here, the team would have played better, and may have even won the flag, if a red headed bloke had been barking out the orders on field rather than the fair headed fella.

I remain somewhat unconvinced. If AFL listed players need that to motivate them for a GF then they really should consider a career change. :roll:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Nobody was really saying that Spaceman, they were just justifying BJ's tendency to have a temper tantrum in a favourable light :wink:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Nobody was really saying that Spaceman, they were just justifying BJ's tendency to have a temper tantrum in a favourable light :wink:
Maybe SainterK, but in that case what other "pea hearted efforts" are being talked about here?

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:
SainterK wrote:Nobody was really saying that Spaceman, they were just justifying BJ's tendency to have a temper tantrum in a favourable light :wink:
Maybe SainterK, but in that case what other "pea hearted efforts" are being talked about here?
I believe it was me who used the term pea hearted effort & what I was suggesting was that BJ yelling at them is not necessarily a bad thing. But what would I know? If I had the answers to what's needed to win a flag we'd have 40 of them by now. :D

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

snoopygirl wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
I believe it was me who used the term pea hearted effort & what I was suggesting was that BJ yelling at them is not necessarily a bad thing. But what would I know? If I had the answers to what's needed to win a flag we'd have 40 of them by now. :D
Well it's a pity you don't have those answers snoopygirl.

If we had those 40 flags under your coaching, I could afford to be very relaxed about 2011. :)

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Not all players respond to someone having someone chuck a tantrum at them....

BJ's sprays make supporters feel good.... But do they positively impact each and every player... Absolutely not without doubt.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

BJ's sprays make supporters feel good.... But do they positively impact each and every player... Absolutely not without doubt.
As I said earlier, Roo is partial to a good spray as well...or is that different?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Spinner wrote:

As I said earlier, Roo is partial to a good spray as well...or is that different?
BJ sprays everyone.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Nicky Winmore wrote:When things don't go to plan & the same patterns keep recurring over & over again common sense dictates there has to be change.

Nick is a great captain, a superstar player and a great guy but when all is said and done he bears the scars of disappointment & defeat arising from the huge weight he carries on his shoulders. When he fails the whole team drops their heads. (eg the game was all over after the Heath Shae smother).

Ask yourself who would you honestly want with the ball in their hands after the siren has gone in the grand final with an opportunity to win the game from 40m out straight in front. BJ or Nick?

BJ has mongrel in him. A true captain has to have this quality. Nick tries to be in this space from time to time but is unconvincing, it just doesn't suit him. Yes we can take the easy option & make BJ captain in 3 or 4 years time. It will be too late by then. Courage brings its own reward. BJ needs to be made Captain now for the good of the team and to give us the best chance to be Premiers in 2011.

Of course this isnt the only change required but it will get us heading in the right direction. St Kilda has to reinvent itself after what has happened in the past 2 years.

Saints Footy has to change. It bears many great qualities but ultimately is likely to fall short against a team like Collingwood. Our theme has to be
" attack". Not in the no defence manner of Essendon but attack the football, attack through defence, attack on goal. An attacking team mind set combined with skill is an overwhelming force that will defeat any opponent. Easier said than done & requires supreme fitness & confidence but this what is required in 2011.
this, and rhys stanley needs to come in.

spinner, spraying players is a good thing. look at judd and look at carlton. judd never sprays anyone and his team are softer for it.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Lennon wrote:
ChicagoSaint wrote:
You're only as good as your last season. Roo may have been made AA Captain in 2009 but he has had a disappointing season and some have argued that BJ is a better Individual for the job anyway.
Er, what? No really. WHAT?

You watch the Saints, yes? You are aware that Riewoldt missed - what was it - 12 games with an injury everyone was predicting would keep him out till next year? That he got back and played good football, and was integral in us making the grand final?

Tempted to call you something that will get me banned.
for the record most "informed" opinion knew he would return.

no good having your skipper one-out at CHF against a quality defender when all the play is at the other end in a midfield scrap/ floodfest.

in cricket, the best captains are middle-order batsmen. well may you say well what about tom harley and nick maxwell, they're defenders?