Is Armo going to Sign

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

saintlee wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:
saintlee wrote:Armo is terribly inconsistent though. I have not been convinced by him at all. I really hope he comes on, but so far, he's been disappointing.
Can you elaborate?

He had a couple of ordinary games just after we lost Riewoldt to injury, got dropped, and until his most recent injury was getting named in the VFL best practically every week he played.

If you want to talk about inconsistency let's talk about the footy department's selection criteria!
I think you just answered your own question. He plays one or two good games then gets dropped. He is a consistently good VFL player, but so far is not a consistently good AFL player.

The footy department are very consistent in their selections, rarely do they spring any surprises, Lyon and co are very conservative when picking the team.
So, considering Armo is in for Lenny, which is it? Either Armo has been consistent, or the selection panel are not.
Last edited by InkerSaint on Thu 19 Aug 2010 7:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
saintnick12
Club Player

saint58 wrote:
gringo wrote:We would get 0 for him. Not even an established player, let alone a top 10 b and f. I think they can take a player from each team without compo from memory. So if he walks we get nothing unfortunately.

Still crows are losing Bock for zip.
I hear the player that is going from our club (as all clubs have to supply a out of contract player) is Leigh Fisher he has played over 55 senior games.

So i hope ARMO doesnt go but if so we will get something for him.
Clubs don't have to supply anyone, but Gold Coast can only take one from each club. (ie they couldn't have taken Ablett and Selwood when they were looking even if they could have afforded it). Limit one per club.
But they are in no way obliged to take one from each club and we certainly don't have to supply anyone.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Facts;
David played 7 of the first 8 games of the season for St Kilda
http://www.saints.com.au/players/player ... fault.aspx

since then he has played 6 games and done his Knee twice playing for Sandringham

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info. ... ask=DETAIL

well done on him for getting back in

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

SB10 wrote:Don't get your hopes up on Armo staying crew. Have a contact close to the Suns and I get the impression he's well and truly heading that way next year.
So do I. He says otherwise.

Who's right?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
DWOODROW
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:
saintlee wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:
saintlee wrote:Armo is terribly inconsistent though. I have not been convinced by him at all. I really hope he comes on, but so far, he's been disappointing.
Can you elaborate?

He had a couple of ordinary games just after we lost Riewoldt to injury, got dropped, and until his most recent injury was getting named in the VFL best practically every week he played.

If you want to talk about inconsistency let's talk about the footy department's selection criteria!
I think you just answered your own question. He plays one or two good games then gets dropped. He is a consistently good VFL player, but so far is not a consistently good AFL player.

The footy department are very consistent in their selections, rarely do they spring any surprises, Lyon and co are very conservative when picking the team.
So, considering Armo is in for Lenny, which is it? Either Armo has been consistent, or the selection panel are not.
He is there so the regulars can have a rest before finals. if he plays well the carrot might be held out in front as to have an appearance in a final. Go mate. :)
Last edited by DWOODROW on Fri 20 Aug 2010 9:10am, edited 1 time in total.

DWOODROW
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
SB10 wrote:Don't get your hopes up on Armo staying crew. Have a contact close to the Suns and I get the impression he's well and truly heading that way next year.

Who's right?
Was your contact drinking when they told you. :roll:

saintlee
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:
saintlee wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:
Can you elaborate?

Your kidding right? Lenny is clearly being rested, he'll be back next week and Armo will be out unless he plays well. Seriously can't believe you think the selection panel is inconsistent.

As for Armo, he has a long way to go to demonstrate consistancy at AFL level.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Who's right?
Are you saying I'm lying?

He was working at a corporate function at Fankhauser Reserve, Southport and wearing a rather bright red shirt with SUNS on it. He's a bloke I now extremely well. He's extremely well entrenched with the club. Might even work there, let's say. He let slip about Bock pre-annoucnement and how it wasn't what the Suns really wanted. They wanted all announcements post season. He also said I needn't worry about Saints heading nth. There ain't any, accg to him.

I'm not saying he's right. I'm merely pointing out the fickleness of 'sources'. It never ceases to amaze me how 'sources' can come up with such varied information. Diametrically opposed even.

Only time will tell re your man, Woodrow. I just desperately want him to tear the Tigers midfield a new arsehole on Saturday. I'm big on the No 20. I like the cut of his jib. Always have.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Who's right?

He was working at a corporate function at Fankhauser Reserve, Southport and wearing a rather bright red shirt with SUNS on it. He's a bloke I now extremely well. He's extremely well entrenched with the club. Might even work there, let's say. He let slip about Bock pre-annoucnement and how it wasn't what the Suns really wanted. They wanted all announcements post season. He also said I needn't worry about Saints heading nth. There ain't any, accg to him.

I'm not saying he's right. I'm merely pointing out the fickleness of 'sources'. It never ceases to amaze me how 'sources' can come up with such varied information. Diametrically opposed even.

Only time will tell re your man, Woodrow. I just desperately want him to tear the Tigers midfield a new arsehole on Saturday. I'm big on the No 20. I like the cut of his jib. Always have.
Likewise big fan.

And yes good jib, great jib, tremendous jib

GO ARMO!!!

By the way, Thinline, I don't think the Tiges need any new arseholes! :lol:

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

saintlee wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:So, considering Armo is in for Lenny, which is it? Either Armo has been consistent, or the selection panel are not.
Your kidding right? Lenny is clearly being rested, he'll be back next week and Armo will be out unless he plays well. Seriously can't believe you think the selection panel is inconsistent.

The selection panel is a mystery at best, and I can't see how you armchair experts can claim otherwise.

No wonder when asked to clarify your statements all you geniuses have to duck for cover and deflect the question!

If Armo has "a long way to go to demonstrate consistancy" (sic) what's his criteria for inclusion? Best of a poor bunch?

I put it to you that Armo is a lot more consistent than you suggest, had a poor patch and was dropped. Struggled to break back in when the team was winning and had bad timing with injuries.

Looking for another 3-Brownlow vote game from you Armo!

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to see him play this week and next, go Armo!

DWOODROW
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Who's right?

I apologise Thinline, I was actually having ago at SB10. Your red shirt friend is on the money in my opinion, but that it, It's just my opinion. :wink:

Bardon Saint
Club Player

[/quote]

Only time will tell re your man, Woodrow. I just desperately want him to tear the Tigers midfield a new arsehole on Saturday. I'm big on the No 20. I like the cut of his jib. Always have.[/quote]

+1
Well said. I want him in the side. I hope he can deliver. If not as a mid with Lenny returning, the boy likes to kick a goal and is a tackling machine. He's gotta be putting pressure on the likes of Eddy?/ Mini on a fwd flank.

saintlee
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:The selection panel is a mystery at best, and I can't see how you armchair experts can claim otherwise.

No wonder when asked to clarify your statements all you geniuses have to duck for cover and deflect the question!

If Armo has "a long way to go to demonstrate consistancy" (sic) what's his criteria for inclusion? Best of a poor bunch?

I put it to you that Armo is a lot more consistent than you suggest, had a poor patch and was dropped. Struggled to break back in when the team was winning and had bad timing with injuries.

Would love to see a few more 3 brownlow vote games from Armo!

I think you have your rose-coloured glasses on with him, but your entitled to your opinion.

Re selection panel, I think you're in fantasy land, RL goes with the same players time and again - almost too much when you think how he sticks with Kosi, Mini, Zac for example, who seem to get a game regardless of form.

Armo may become a great player, I hope he does, but he is not there yet.

Incidently, I take it your not an armchair expert?? Dumb comment when your on a fan forum.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
saintlee wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:So, considering Armo is in for Lenny, which is it? Either Armo has been consistent, or the selection panel are not.

The selection panel is a mystery at best, and I can't see how you armchair experts can claim otherwise.

I would think that the only 'mystery' about the selection panel is from us armchair experts ascribing our views to their selections without knowing anything about their discussions.

We have absolutely no idea what their criteria is from one week to another, and yet we're happy to tell hem that they're making correct/wrong/insane/unjustifiable/justified decisions.

The only certainty is that we have very little idea as to why players are selected/not-selected.
To then characterize that as 'mystery selections' suggests that we do know what deliberations are taking place and that the selections being made are at odds with those deliberations.

Inkersaint, usually I find your posts well thought out and quite perceptive, but on this one I think your personal disappointment at certain players not being selected has coloured your perspective on the 'performance' of the selection panel.

You may not agree with the selections, but to characterize them as 'mystery' when you don't know the criteria used to make them is, IMO, unfair on the selection panel.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Mr Magic wrote:I would think that the only 'mystery' about the selection panel is from us armchair experts ascribing our views to their selections without knowing anything about their discussions.

We have absolutely no idea what their criteria is from one week to another, and yet we're happy to tell hem that they're making correct/wrong/insane/unjustifiable/justified decisions.

The only certainty is that we have very little idea as to why players are selected/not-selected.
To then characterize that as 'mystery selections' suggests that we do know what deliberations are taking place and that the selections being made are at odds with those deliberations.

Inkersaint, usually I find your posts well thought out and quite perceptive, but on this one I think your personal disappointment at certain players not being selected has coloured your perspective on the 'performance' of the selection panel.

You may not agree with the selections, but to characterize them as 'mystery' when you don't know the criteria used to make them is, IMO, unfair on the selection panel.
Hey, I'll come clean, I have no idea how the panel do their job except that most of their decisions look obvious and some leave me scratching my head. And my comments should be read as personal impressions not as any kind of judgement. What the hell would I know?

What gets my goat is the clowns who reckon they know otherwise - and feel compelled to point it out to me!

Quixote
SS Life Member

Armo has had a tough, testing year. It could be the making of him. I certainly hope so. I think he could be really valuable to our lineup.

I think either way and whatever happens - he's gonna tear the Tigers one. The Armo is pissed off!! :twisted: :lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I would think that the only 'mystery' about the selection panel is from us armchair experts ascribing our views to their selections without knowing anything about their discussions.

Hey, I'll come clean, I have no idea how the panel do their job except that most of their decisions look obvious and some leave me scratching my head. And my comments should be read as personal impressions not as any kind of judgement. What the hell would I know?

What gets my goat is the clowns who reckon they know otherwise - and feel compelled to point it out to me!
Point taken :)

SB10
Club Player

Thinline wrote:

Who's right?
Appears we both have a contact up there with differing views Thinline. Happy to be proved wrong, but mine was unequivocal. Armo is GONE.

Also had the heads up on Bock two months ago. Think you'll find Harbrow, Krakour (already out) and Rischetelli are heading that way too.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

saintlee wrote:Re selection panel, I think you're in fantasy land, RL goes with the same players time and again - almost too much when you think how he sticks with Kosi, Mini, Zac for example, who seem to get a game regardless of form.
In which case the only consistency is the lack of criteria applied!

Four posts later and you still haven't expanded your argument with anything resembling clarity.
Incidently, I take it your not an armchair expert?? Dumb comment when your on a fan forum.
I'm not the one with the crystal ball into the Linton St meeting rooms!

noob
Club Player

Love that armo is back in the team. His style of play suits the game plan and will be even more so for the finals.

saintlee
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:
saintlee wrote:Re selection panel, I think you're in fantasy land, RL goes with the same players time and again - almost too much when you think how he sticks with Kosi, Mini, Zac for example, who seem to get a game regardless of form.
In which case the only consistency is the lack of criteria applied!

Four posts later and you still haven't expanded your argument with anything resembling clarity.
I'm not the one with the crystal ball into the Linton St meeting rooms!
haha...I think I've been very clear with my comments. But whatever, Armo could be a good player if he got to more contests and won more ball. Think he could work on his disposal by foot too, not that its horrible, but its not great. He seems to go missing a fair bit in games at AFL level too.

I never claimed to have a crystal ball, but I think the consistency of the selection panel is there for all to see over the past couple of years.

Anyway, believe whatever you want.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Many varied opinions on Armo. Many, like me, rate him and believe he will eventually forge a successful career in the AFL (hopefully with the Saints)

Many others think he’s been in the system long enough and hasn’t set the world on fire. Yet I'm sure some of those same people belong to the group who would be more than happy if, in the 2010 Draft, we took a punt on a guy in his early 20s playing for the Zebs, or a local comp, with Barlow and “Podsâ€

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:

Re selection panel, I think you're in fantasy land, RL goes with the same players time and again - almost too much when you think how he sticks with Kosi, Mini, Zac for example, who seem to get a game regardless of form.

I don't think you are not entirely right there.

Some examples:

Attard, recruited as a rookie and came straight in because he could do the job. Post knee injury when he could no longer perform the role he was discarded.

Fior> played one very good year under Ross. Lost form and Ross gave him several goes to again deliver. He could not and so was discarded.

Charlie Gardiner: was given several chances to make it...did ok-ish, but not enough and so was discarded.

Leigh Fisher: Given a chance to make it asa tagger after not working out down back. was discarded.

Blake: Given a chance to make it as a permanent backman after having mainly been a utility player come ruck. Has locked in a spot down back.

CJ: Was in and out of the team in several roles before being tried as a tagger which he has excelled at.

Peake: has been in and out of the team this year.

While you give examples of Kosi and Mini. with Kosi there is no real option that works asa key forward besides him and Roo. Stanley and Patto have both been tried. With FB Zac is the strongest option. with Mini..yes may be on thin ice....

Lyon is very focused on roles....and if players achieve that he rates them higher than what an outsider ignorant of exactly what that role may be may rate the player.

Proof in the pudding is Lyon has greatly improved the TEAM since he too over.

Collingwood: what has made them successful this year is that Malthouse has Lyon like got his entire team being fanatical about performing team roles and play. This is where their improvement has come from as they out-Saint the Saints at "Saints Footy".

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Who's right?

Charming that!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.