Mal Brown - What was he thinking?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:I played golf, many years ago, with Sir Garfield Sobers, in a charity comp at Royal Melbourne. We hit off just after dawn and it was still pretty dark. Gary hit off first and sent it straight down the middle of the fairway. One of the others in the group asked Gary if he'd seen where it went. Sir Garfield replied "Don't worry us jungle bunnies can see in the dark". Was he being racist?
Firstly that sounds like it was 40 years and ago and secondly heaps of dark people have a go at other dark people or themselves about the colour of their skin. Doesnt mean everyone else can jump in.
It wasn't 40 years ago. Maybe 25 years ago.
Gary Sobers is a great cricketer and a wonderful person and he was making a joke at his own expense.
Mal Brown was making a joke, which turned out to be at his own expense. He is not a racist.
Wow, never would of picked that, are you Dougie Hawkins?
Lost me there.
I met Sir Garfield Sobers in 1999 and he was a gentleman and quite the intellectual.

Regardless of that I was almost shell-shocked to be having a conversation with the man I read so much about.
Same here, I was in awe and privileged to be in his company and to play golf with an athlete who played off 3 left handed and off 4 right handed
(he was playing right handed). I was playing off 27. Guess who won in our foursome?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Same here, I was in awe and privileged to be in his company and to play golf with an athlete who played off 3 left handed and off 4 right handed
(he was playing right handed). I was playing off 27. Guess who won in our foursome?
I saw him smash that 254 at the MCG for the World XI against Australia in 1972. Bradman described it as the best innings played in Australia.

One cut shot off Lillee cannoned into the deep backward point fence on the full without changing trajectory, he hit it that hard.

A genuine freak of a sportsman.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:I played golf, many years ago, with Sir Garfield Sobers, in a charity comp at Royal Melbourne. We hit off just after dawn and it was still pretty dark. Gary hit off first and sent it straight down the middle of the fairway. One of the others in the group asked Gary if he'd seen where it went. Sir Garfield replied "Don't worry us jungle bunnies can see in the dark". Was he being racist?
Yes, he was. Self deprecating was common then. I used to do it because I was very good at lots of sport and copped a lot of flak even from parents on the side lines. Sometimes I would humour them to avoid the sledging. A pre-emptive sledge. Such was the world back then. My parents were one of the first families to be accepted into Australia in the middle of the Menzies' White Australia policy.

If you knew what they had to do to be admitted in to Australia, your eyes would spin. They love Australia to death and our whole family is as Aussie as you can get and we even support Lleyton. Why? Because he is Australian. You don't know what it is like until you experience lines like, "You're not that dark anyway". I used to say Thank You until I was about 15 and realised....Who gives a flying **** if I was dark or white or green?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Same here, I was in awe and privileged to be in his company and to play golf with an athlete who played off 3 left handed and off 4 right handed
I saw him smash that 254 at the MCG for the World XI against Australia in 1972. Bradman described it as the best innings played in Australia.

One cut shot off Lillee cannoned into the deep backward point fence on the full without changing trajectory, he hit it that hard.

A genuine freak of a sportsman.
The fact that he is that great a sportsman, only highlights how humble a person he is. Meeting him is one of the highlights of my life.

markp
Saintsational Legend

You really dont get it?

You think it would've been in anyway reasonable for you to say the same thing to him?

You know that black people in the States call each other n*****... so you think that should make it ok for white people to as well?

When a black person uses a term like that he is claiming and defusing it, when a white person uses a term like that it he is reviving and reloading it, regardless of intent.

I noticed on the news good ol' Mal referred to an old Aboriginal mate he had been ribbing for 30 years and calling 'good-natured' names, but when this guy was interviewed he said Mal should pull his head in and stop being so insulting.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:Who gives a flying **** if I was dark or white or green?
Exactly. There are some genuine bigots and racists, but (imo) in general Australia is pretty tame compared to many other parts of the world.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
Yes, he was. Self deprecating was common then. I used to do it because I was very good at lots of sport and copped a lot of flak even from parents on the side lines. Sometimes I would humour them to avoid the sledging. A pre-emptive sledge. Such was the world back then. My parents were one of the first families to be accepted into Australia in the middle of the Menzies' White Australia policy.

If you knew what they had to do to be admitted in to Australia, your eyes would spin. They love Australia to death and our whole family is as Aussie as you can get and we even support Lleyton. Why? Because he is Australian. You don't know what it is like until you experience lines like, "You're not that dark anyway". I used to say Thank You until I was about 15 and realised....Who gives a flying **** if I was dark or white or green?
Perceptions are strange. Because you use the nick "Milan Faletic", a very pale skinned specimen of a man, that's the way I perceived you.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Exactly. There are some genuine bigots and racists, but (imo) in general Australia is pretty tame compared to many other parts of the world.
I know but you can still be a little bit pregnant. I was born here, not in other parts of the world.

I think they should wheel Mal Brown to a table on the centre of Etihad Stadium at EJ Whitten Game, naked (or with a towel) with an apple in his mouth and have Nicky Winmar and his colleagues dress in dinner suits and have a dinner party before the game. That would break the ice and would be hilarious. :lol: :lol: :lol:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
I know but you can still be a little bit pregnant. I was born here, not in other parts of the world.

I think they should wheel Mal Brown to a table on the centre of Etihad Stadium at EJ Whitten Game, naked (or with a towel) with an apple in his mouth and have Nicky Winmar and his colleagues dress in dinner suits and have a dinner party before the game. That would break the ice and would be hilarious. :lol: :lol: :lol:
someone should put it to him. he's mad enough to do it.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
You really dont get it?

You think it would've been in anyway reasonable for you to say the same thing to him?

You know that black people in the States call each other n*****... so you think that should make it ok for white people to as well?

When a black person uses a term like that he is claiming and defusing it, when a white person uses a term like that it he is reviving and reloading it, regardless of intent.

I noticed on the news good ol' Mal referred to an old Aboriginal mate he had been ribbing for 30 years and calling 'good-natured' names, but when this guy was interviewed he said Mal should pull his head in and stop being so insulting.
I do get it, but I choose to not follow the politically correct line. I have the utmost respect for all people no matter what race, colour or creed. What Joey Johns said last week was just plain racist. What Mal Brown said yesterday was just a bad attempt at humour. Mal Brown thinks he's funny, but he's just an old footballer.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:

Perceptions are strange. Because you use the nick "Milan Faletic", a very pale skinned specimen of a man, that's the way I perceived you.
And I always picture your avatar pic. Is that Eric Burdon?

I actually got mistaken for a fair skinned Nicky Winmar when I was in my 20's. One day at Moorabbin, I was on crutches from a soccer injury but wearing a St Kilda tracksuit and I walked up the side stairs where the players sat before the game. As I got to the top there was an audible gasp. They thought Nicky was on crutches but it was only me. :lol:
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Thu 17 Jun 2010 10:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:

And I always picture your avatar pic. Is that Eric Burdon?
No, and it's not me. Google and you'll find out.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Milan Faletic wrote:And I always picture your avatar pic. Is that Eric Burdon?
Neil Young

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
Neil Young
And who would you be?

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
Neil Young
Thanks and of course your pick is Spock doing a Mork impression.....or is that the other way around...narnoo narnoo.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Leo.J wrote:
Neil Young
And who would you be?
Me. James William Bottomtooth III and Brian Griffin

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Leo.J wrote:
Neil Young
And who would you be?
I would be a Neil Young fan...

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Milan Faletic wrote:
Leo.J wrote:
Neil Young
Thanks and of course your pick is Spock doing a Mork impression.....or is that the other way around...narnoo narnoo.
Live long and prosper.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
Leo.J wrote:
Neil Young
Live long and prosper.
Kidding :wink:

Saintsfan
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Firstly that sounds like it was 40 years and ago and secondly heaps of dark people have a go at other dark people or themselves about the colour of their skin. Doesnt mean everyone else can jump in.
It wasn't 40 years ago. Maybe 25 years ago.
Gary Sobers is a great cricketer and a wonderful person and he was making a joke at his own expense.
Mal Brown was making a joke, which turned out to be at his own expense. He is not a racist.
Wow, never would of picked that, are you Dougie Hawkins?
Lost me there.
I met Sir Garfield Sobers in 1999 and he was a gentleman and quite the intellectual.

Regardless of that I was almost shell-shocked to be having a conversation with the man I read so much about.
Same here, I was in awe and privileged to be in his company and to play golf with an athlete who played off 3 left handed and off 4 right handed
He carried himself with such natural grace, charm and one of the very few human beings that has an prescence about oneself.

The Saintsfan Cometh
stinger
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
You really dont get it?

good post

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Richter
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
Not sure that I agree with this. Whilst Melbourne is a multicultural city, there are very few darker skinned peoples who live here, compared with most European cities. It means that most Aussies simply do not have black or Indian peers who become friends. Whereas in the UK, for instance, it would be natural to have friends who are darker skinned.

So, for instance, in this country I have heard far worse casual insults to blacks and Indians than in Britain.

In opposition to that there are lots of East Asians here and I find that the mixing between whites and East Asians is much more than in other countries.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Not sure that I agree with this. Whilst Melbourne is a multicultural city, there are very few darker skinned peoples who live here, compared with most European cities. It means that most Aussies simply do not have black or Indian peers who become friends. Whereas in the UK, for instance, it would be natural to have friends who are darker skinned.

So, for instance, in this country I have heard far worse casual insults to blacks and Indians than in Britain.

In opposition to that there are lots of East Asians here and I find that the mixing between whites and East Asians is much more than in other countries.
Good post. Racist undertones are sadly very much still-present in our society.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Moods
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
Richter wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Good post. Racist undertones are sadly very much still-present in our society.
As they are in every country around the world. Whilst there certainly are racist ppl in Australia, if we were honest, we all have certain prejudices about certain races, it's whether we display those prejudices to the world which really underscores the racist behaviour. The Japanese have blatant racist govt policies similar to the white Australia policy back in the 60's. I hate it when people try and and paint our country as somehow backward in our views to the rest of the world - we really are no different to the rest of the world in so many ways.

The issue is that Mal Brown made a racist remark - does this mean he's a racist? Only those who know him could tell you that. An ignorant insensitive fool definitely. A racist? Who knows?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Not sure that I agree with this. Whilst Melbourne is a multicultural city, there are very few darker skinned peoples who live here, compared with most European cities. It means that most Aussies simply do not have black or Indian peers who become friends.
Well, everyone's experiences are different. I have and have had friends of just about every race/colour/creed (though I'm yet to meet an Inuit) ... I've never given it a second thought.

But I'm well aware that others are more closed-minded. In general I think we do okay in Australia. Not perfect, but better than many other places.