How effing proud should we be of this club and its coach?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
stinger wrote:
markp wrote:Is dodgy stool a flog?

A troll?

Obsessive much?

Should we be concerned?

charming...... :roll: :roll: :roll: ........not....but who would expect more from this poster......not i sir....
Says the Sir Les Patterson of the forum.... do try to keep up with the jokes, gramps.

the day i couldn't keep up with you ,,,in anything...is the day i check myself into the retirement village ffs..... :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Wow.

This forum is on fire this arvo.
Yesterday too, everyone is very bossy and agro at the moment...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

Surely its all in good fun afterall it is a boring week footy wise.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

gotta do something to amuse myself till friday week ffs......

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Yep, as long as nobody gets too personal :)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Yep, as long as nobody gets too personal :)

what???...on here???...too personal???.......nah...never.... :wink: :lol: 8-)

markp
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
markp wrote:
stinger wrote:
markp wrote:Is dodgy stool a flog?

A troll?

Obsessive much?

Should we be concerned?

charming...... :roll: :roll: :roll: ........not....but who would expect more from this poster......not i sir....
Says the Sir Les Patterson of the forum.... do try to keep up with the jokes, gramps.

the day i couldn't keep up with you ,,,in anything...is the day i check myself into the retirement village ffs..... :roll: :roll:
Could keep up with me in a 'who's the biggest idiot' competition?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:If Geelong have so much more talent than us, and if it's an issue, the question needs to be asked 'why haven't we addressed this?'.

LOL..

But we did..we exited out an underperforming coach and got in a better coach. :idea:

That is the reason why despite them having a better list that we are still competitive...and indeed made the GF.

Back to getting a better list:

:idea: :idea: Clearly Geelong's recruiting guy is pretty swicthed on and along with Clayton is one of the best , if not the best recruiters in the land.

Now RF poses the question why have we not done something about it?

Maybe RF has forgotten that the Saint's poached his right hand man??? :idea:

A bit of basic research RF please before bagging our Club yet again :idea:

Now maybe the actual Geelong recruiting guy himself would have been great...but you can't get everything you want otherwise we would also have Hodge, Judd, Brown, sandlinads etc etc playing for the Saints.

We did get his right hand man though...

We did get Lyon

We did get Misson (getting more players on the park helps....)

We did get an Olympic Team Doc

We did get Drain..

We did get structurally a better team as Lyon and Co have aquired players for our weaknesses and improved the team that he inherited, that also had a truckload of players who had just retired or were about to ( Hamill, Harvey, Pecket, Thommo, GTrain, Aussie, Max etc....). Leave Lovett out and the combined trading/drafting is much better than it was in the immediate period prior)

We did get Tommy Walsh

Maybe just maybe RF mifght like to acknowledge that in recent years that the Saints are actually doing a few things ok?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:If Geelong have so much more talent than us, and if it's an issue, the question needs to be asked 'why haven't we addressed this?'.

LOL..

But we did..we exited out an underperforming coach and got in a better coach. :idea:

That is the reason why despite them having a better list that we are still competitive...and indeed made the GF.

:idea: :idea: Clearly Geelong's recruiting guy is pretty swicthed on and along with Clayton is one of the best , if not the best recruiters in the land.

Now maybe the actual Geelong recruiting guy himself would have been great...but you can't get everything you want otherwise we would also have Hodge, Judd, Brown, sandlinads etc etc playing for the Saints.

We did get Lyon

We did get Drain..

We did get structurally a better team as Lyon and Co have aquired players for our weaknesses and improved the team that he inherited, that also had a truckload of players who had just retired or were about to ( Hamill, Harvey, Pecket, Thommo, GTrain, Aussie, Max etc....). Leave Lovett out and the combined trading/drafting is much better than it was in the immediate period prior)

We did get Tommy Walsh

Maybe just maybe RF mifght like to acknowledge that in recent years that the Saints are actually doing a few things ok?
Can you please summarise that in a few short sentences?

I read the first couple and you lost me. It didn't seem to relate to the question I posed.

Saintsfan
Club Player

Using 'getting Tommy Waslsh' as a reason that this club has gone forward is scraping the bottom...

The Saintsfan Cometh
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

LOL..

We did get Lyon

We did get Drain..

We did get Tommy Walsh

I know you cant stand GT but to say we have drafted better since we got RL is not quite right. We may have traded better but we certainly havent drafted better. Anyway the coach has bugger all to do with the darft and sometimes relies on the recruiting department when trading as well.

And there is that little point of having millions more spent on the footy department now.

Saints43
Club Player

Here is a list from the AFL site rating each player from the most important match we have played in over a decade. Obviously any rating is debatable but this looks OK to me and is from an independent source (Jennifer Witham - whoever she is). I couldn't find the listings from the established media types.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

From my view of the grand final it would appear that any rating under 6 would mean the player 'struggled to make an impact'.

Here are those players: Blake, Clarke, Dawson, Dempster, Gardiner, King, Koschitzke, McQualter, Milne, Ray, Riewoldt.

I would say that a rating of six or above would have been the better players on the day.

Here are those players: Baker, Ball, Dal Santo, Fisher, Gilbert, Goddard, Gram, Hayes, Jones, Montagna.

When I read the joyous posts on this forum regarding our trading and list management I want to spew up.

I know there are those that will point out that we paid nothing for some - but that turned out to be about the right price. And, yes, some were good along the way to the big one - some not, Sean - but then so was Leon Davis until it mattered.

Have a look at the two lists of names above and make the general connection.

Steven Baker – 7
Went to Steve Johnson, who still looked hampered by a hip problem. Kept the Cat from touching the ball to half time, although had just five possessions himself. Ended with 12, but his opponent had much less.
Luke Ball – 8
Didn't have a huge amount of game time in the first half but made what he had count. Had 12 touches by the main break and had been good around the stoppages. Had 22 touches and seven clearances for the game in a solid performance.
Jason Blake – 5
Provided strong pressure down back in the first half with five tackles, and kept his opponent Tom Hawkins quiet. Ended with 10 disposals – none of which were kicks – while Hawkins booted two goals.
Raphael Clarke – 4
Seemed to re-injure an already-strapped right calf in the second term, right before he slipped over and allowed opponent Shannon Byrnes to goal. Tackled well, but didn't do a lot with his 13 disposals.
ZacDawson – 4
Played on Cam Mooney, who kicked two goals. Made a terrible error in the second quarter when he attempted to kick across goal in defence and booted it right into the arms of Hawkins, who promptly scored a major. Was just okay.
Nick Dal Santo – 6
Cameron Ling went to him for a hard tag, but he still managed to get plenty of it in the first half. Had treatment in the second quarter on his leg, but recovered to play out the game. Had 17 touches and was second only to Lenny Hayes in clearances.
Sean Dempster – 5
Was the Saints' only inclusion for the game at the expense of Robert Eddy. Playing in his third grand final, he kicked the first goal of the second quarter after winning a free. Was his only real highlight with just five touches for the game.
Sam Fisher – 6
Played on Max Rooke, who was one of the Cats' best. Had 15 touches, most of which were uncontested, and didn't make a huge impact pressure-wise with four tackles. He has had better games during the year.
Michael Gardiner – 5
Playing in his second grand final, the former Eagle took the first bounce of the game against Brad Ottens. He held his own in the ruck and almost equalled Ottens for hit-outs, but didn't make a huge impact around the ground.
Sam Gilbert – 6
Went to Paul Chapman, who won the Norm Smith medal for best on ground. Had 18 touches and six tackles, and led the Saints for rebounds from the defensive 50.
Brendon Goddard – 7
Had a big second quarter and was important in giving the Saints drive into attack, but was stopped short early in the third when he collided with Steven Baker's head and broke his nose. Ended the game with 21 touches and a huge nine tackles.
Jason Gram – 9
Started on the bench and came on to meet Darren Milburn. Stepped up his work rate in the second to have 14 touches by half time, and again in the third for another 11. Was the Saints' highest possession-getter with 30, and arguably their best player.
Lenny Hayes – 9
Enormous first term with five clearances and a goal before Jimmy Bartel tightened up on him. Was still equal leader for contested possessions at the main break, and ended the game with an enormous 18 contested possessions from 24 overall. Also had a game-high 10 clearances.
Clint Jones – 8
Had a few opponents but mainly ran with Gary Ablett, and managed to curb his influence well. Snared an important major through traffic just before half time that kick-started the three-goal run, but will be better remembered for his tough 10-tackle game.
Steven King – 4
Entered the game with a point to prove against his old side. Started on the bench, but came on for little impact in the first half. Had a little more impact in the ruck in the second half, but lacked influence around the ground.
Justin Koschitzke – 4
Took one of the three leading marks recorded before half time, and a goal just before the main break gave him a much-needed highlight. Was pitted against Matthew Scarlett and did well to pull him away from Nick Riewoldt at times, but lacked attacking presence.
Andrew McQualter – 4
Did some tough stuff before half time with an impressive tackle/contested possession output, which was pretty much the story of his afternoon. Wasn't a stand-out, but wasn't the worst afield. Seven tackles were a highlight.
Stephen Milne – 2
Had to wait 10 minutes to get his first run after starting on the bench, and probably wished he'd spent more time there in the second quarter after a messy run of mistakes. Fluffed two shots at goal before giving Ablett a 50m penalty, and went on for a goalless game.
Leigh Montagna – 7
Got his game going in the second with eight touches. Kicked an important pressure goal with a minute and a half to remain in the third quarter, which put the Saints in front at the final change.
FarrenRay – 2
Started his first grand final on the bench, and once the former Bulldog made it to the field he didn't make a huge contribution. Had 11 touches and just three tackles across a quiet afternoon.
Nick Riewoldt – 5
As expected, was manned up by Harry Taylor, who played a marvellous game. Was badly winded in the second after landing on his back, and also goalless to half time. Took a good contested mark against Taylor in the third and kicked his first goal, but couldn't get his side going.

oneteam
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:

LOL..

We did get Lyon

We did get Drain..

We did get Tommy Walsh

04 - 3rd
05- 4th
06- 8th
07- 9th

Going in the wrong direction down the ladder.
Our injuries were terrible.
Internal board and admin problems.
We were said to have seen the closing of our premiership chances window.

08- 4th
09 - 2nd
10 - currently 2nd.

Why the turnaround? A whole range of reasons, but I am PROUD of how we are going so far.
If my son gets great marks in his mid year exams, I am proud of him. I don't withold the praise at how he is doing , and say - I will only be proud if you finish well at the end of the year. Or - I pay for a good school, so of course you should be doing well.

Same with the club. plenty to be proud of , at this point. plenty.

RFox - learn to show some happiness along the journey, and praise people as they make their journey if they are doing well. You will be a happier person and a better person to those around you.