Ball having a big game against Blues

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
"Its probably taken a bit of pressure off him as well, KNOWING THERE ARE 10 TO 12 GUYS WILLING TO COP THE HITS AS WELL. HES NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS TO DO IT."
If you cant see that is a swipe at the Saints, then you cant see.
Yes because players always have a go at other clubs.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:
"Its probably taken a bit of pressure off him as well, KNOWING THERE ARE 10 TO 12 GUYS WILLING TO COP THE HITS AS WELL. HES NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS TO DO IT."
You don't think Pendles is referring to the Saints, honestly? :shock:

markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:
I know! :shock: :shock: :wink:

What else could it mean??

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

As I read through this thread, I start to get the same sense of extreme irritation at the "Ball-hating" ranters as I do at the "GT-hating" ranters.

Here is an attempt at a balanced perspective.

1. Ball used to be a different sort of player to what he is now: a mix of an in-and-under type and a creative midfielder a la Judd et al.

2. OP and perhaps some other injuries have reduced his mobility and in recent seasons, particularly 2009, he has focused more and more on the in-and-under play.

3. This makes him a similar type of player to Burke, but - as a pure in-and-under player - I wouldn't rate him anywhere near as highly as Burke or many others (eg, Scott West). Ball tackles hard and goes in hard but he simply doesn't win enough possessions per game because, even in the middle, leg speed and agility are still advantageous.

4. What I saw on Sunday arvo was a more mobile Ball playing a more rounded game than he has for a couple of years. He popped up all over the field, playing ball winner, stopper, link man and even goal sneak. I have absolutely no idea whether or not he can keep this up, but he played the best all-round game I can remember him playing since at least 2007.

5. Should I be interested in this? Should I or any other Saints fan comment, or should we just stick with the "let him go to hell" approach? I'll leave that to others to judge.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:
No i dont. No way a leader of the club would have a go at another club who they may meet in the finals. He would just be looking for positives about Bally.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:
No i dont. No way a leader of the club would have a go at another club who they may meet in the finals. He would just be looking for positives about Bally.
Funny, not how the neutrals are seeing it :wink:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/newreply. ... p=17643692

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:From the other thread
Todays Herald Sun has an article saying that Scott Pendlebury says that " Bringing in luke has taken a bit of pressure off the guys who go through the midfield" and "Its probably taken a bit of pressure off him as well, KNOWING THERE ARE 10 TO 12 GUYS WILLING TO COP THE HITS AS WELL. HES NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS TO DO IT."
As for the rest of your reply, I'm not the poster making the intiial comparison.
You chose to defend that poster's comparison.
I just asked for clarification.

Obviously the 'back Luke Ball at Collingwood campaign' has now reached the halls of power at the AFL.
Were your masters concerned that Ball/Collingwood weren't getting the required good media coverage?
Cant see where the Saints are even mentioned in that comment and as for the final comment you need to get that sore neck looked at.

By the way I didnt defend the posters comparision just stating he can have a comparsion whether the guy was at Collingwood or not. You were the one who seemed to say he couldnt because he had left us.
No, I asked if that was the comparison he was trying to make, becasue to me it was incredulous rto compare Luke Ball with Nathan Burke.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:From the other thread
Todays Herald Sun has an article saying that Scott Pendlebury says that " Bringing in luke has taken a bit of pressure off the guys who go through the midfield" and "Its probably taken a bit of pressure off him as well, KNOWING THERE ARE 10 TO 12 GUYS WILLING TO COP THE HITS AS WELL. HES NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS TO DO IT."
As for the rest of your reply, I'm not the poster making the intiial comparison.
You chose to defend that poster's comparison.
I just asked for clarification.

Obviously the 'back Luke Ball at Collingwood campaign' has now reached the halls of power at the AFL.
Were your masters concerned that Ball/Collingwood weren't getting the required good media coverage?
Cant see where the Saints are even mentioned in that comment and as for the final comment you need to get that sore neck looked at.

By the way I didnt defend the posters comparision just stating he can have a comparsion whether the guy was at Collingwood or not. You were the one who seemed to say he couldnt because he had left us.
No, I asked if that was the comparison he was trying to make, becasue to me it was incredulous rto compare Luke Ball with Nathan Burke.
Then why didnt you give your reasons rather than just saying one is at the pies.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:As I read through this thread, I start to get the same sense of extreme irritation at the "Ball-hating" ranters as I do at the "GT-hating" ranters.

1. Ball used to be a different sort of player to what he is now: a mix of an in-and-under type and a creative midfielder a la Judd et al.

2. OP and perhaps some other injuries have reduced his mobility and in recent seasons, particularly 2009, he has focused more and more on the in-and-under play.

3. This makes him a similar type of player to Burke, but - as a pure in-and-under player - I wouldn't rate him anywhere near as highly as Burke or many others (eg, Scott West). Ball tackles hard and goes in hard but he simply doesn't win enough possessions per game because, even in the middle, leg speed and agility are still advantageous.

4. What I saw on Sunday arvo was a more mobile Ball playing a more rounded game than he has for a couple of years. He popped up all over the field, playing ball winner, stopper, link man and even goal sneak. I have absolutely no idea whether or not he can keep this up, but he played the best all-round game I can remember him playing since at least 2007.

5. Should I be interested in this? Should I or any other Saints fan comment, or should we just stick with the "let him go to hell" approach? I'll leave that to others to judge.
Reasonable precis, other than I believe Ball received 2 Brownlow votes for teh game in Tasmania last year against the Hawks, which would probably make that game at least the equal of last Sunday's.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:As I read through this thread, I start to get the same sense of extreme irritation at the "Ball-hating" ranters as I do at the "GT-hating" ranters.

What about 6.?

6. After many years of being paid at the higher end of AFL salaries in expectation that Ball would develop into an elite player, which for various reasons he never did, he was content to help engineer a situation bordering on draft-rigging where St Kilda was likely to gain minimal value for him.

While some may say fair enough, this attitude probably would have impacted Collingwoods actions and thinking durng trade week.

7. Of all the players who have played for St Kilda Ball would have one of the lowest ratios for worth delivered for player contract cost.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:
A more accurate comment would be "no way a sensible leader of the club would have a go at another club who they may meet in the finals."

Maybe Pendlebury is a bit slow. Maybe he lacks judgement. Maybe he's a moron.

In any event, IF he was not having a go at the Saints what the hell was he actually saying? Please provide your interpretation (and it can't simply be a show of support for Ball, as he could do that without implying he now has help that he previously didn't have)

markp
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:As I read through this thread, I start to get the same sense of extreme irritation at the "Ball-hating" ranters as I do at the "GT-hating" ranters
Who are they?

Pretty amusing considering you started this thread as a shyte stir... didn't ya?! :wink:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

Reasonable precis, other than I believe Ball received 2 Brownlow votes for teh game in Tasmania last year against the Hawks, which would probably make that game at least the equal of last Sunday's.
Every Collingwood supporter I meet tells me his GF in 2009 was a tad ok as well.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

What about 6.?

6. After many years of being paid at the higher end of AFL salaries in expectation that Ball would develop into an elite player, which for various reasons he never did, he was content to help engineer a situation bordering on draft-rigging where St Kilda was likely to gain minimal value for him.

While some may say fair enough, this attitude probably would have impacted Collingwoods actions and thinking durng trade week.

7. Of all the players who have played for St Kilda Ball would have one of the lowest ratios for worth delivered for player contract cost.
Or even 8. Some people need to get over it. He is gone. He is an average player who may not have got a game with us this year. The Saints could have taken 30 and in hindsight that is about where he is at.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: Reasonable precis, other than I believe Ball received 2 Brownlow votes for teh game in Tasmania last year against the Hawks, which would probably make that game at least the equal of last Sunday's.
Why?????

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Let's concentrate on what we can control.

Ball couldn't run and spread otherwise he'd still be at St Kilda.

Steven - goes in just as hard as Ball, is a much better kick and can also run and spread.

A nice project player... but how is his stamina and durability?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Let's concentrate on what we can control.

Ball couldn't run and spread otherwise he'd still be at St Kilda.

Steven - goes in just as hard as Ball, is a much better kick and can also run and spread.

A nice project player... but how is his stamina and durability?
He would still be at St Kilda if he hadn't decide to go elsewhere though.

It's even entirely possible that he would still be getting a game, he left (amongst other reasons) because he couldn't get a guarantee on that.

markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:

What a charming place BF is... so it's ok to refer to Milne as a rapist over there??

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:7. Of all the players who have played for St Kilda Ball would have one of the lowest ratios for worth delivered for player contract cost.
In that particular competition, he'd be a mile short of Lovett I would have thought!!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:

What a charming place BF is... so it's ok to refer to Milne as a rapist over there??
Have had a little look over there recently as people have been recommending it on here. Not sure it lives up to the hype much...

markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
markp wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:

Have had a little look over there recently as people have been recommending it on here. Not sure it lives up to the hype much...
Yup, it's bad enough standing amongst one oppo teams feral supporters.... :wink:

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:
sunsaint wrote:
desertsaint wrote:I remember a certain player who racked up all manner of awards for the saints who made an art of the short pass late in his career. Ball could do worse than try to emulate him.

Gee I miss the old champ...
while I was reading this thread (and many other ones like it) I have been biting my tongue hoping that someone else would bring up the same sentiments.
I have no inkling of samoht's vintage, but if he is an older saint he would have witnessed many games that saw Harvey and Burke combine as one of the best on-ball units in the league. NEITHER could kick the ball any great distance. Yes Harvey ran and carried then chipped, that was his stock in trade, the quick side step was magic to watch. BUT who got the ball out to him.... Burkey. Harvey got the stats, while Burke got the stitches. It was his body on the line game after game week in week out. He was the battering ram, exactly as was Ball. To belittle the game style of either player is disrespectul beyond belief.
Am I getting this right?
You're comparing Luke Ball to Nathan Burke?

One was a legend of our Club who accepted whatever role his coach gave him and despite many opportunities to leave for more pay/better opportunities chose to stay with his beloved Saints.

The other now plays for Collingwood.
Shivers, I think all the poster was doing was comparing styles/type of play
:shock:
Carry on though

No Contract, No contact :shock:
samoht
Saintsational Legend

There's no comparison ..
Nathan Burke ran and spread too... and was a much better kick and had a much better pass ... he could kick goals from 50 metres out from what I remember.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:There's no comparison ..
Nathan Burke ran and spread too... and was a much better kick and had a much better pass ... he could kick goals from 50 metres out from what I remember.
I agree with most of this, but I don't recall Burkey kicking too many goals from 50 metres out.

- Jonathan Swift
samoht
Saintsational Legend

Neither do I .. how about a little poetic license please.