Lyon's Coaching

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think we are in agreement then.

I just saw the night as one where PA were really on their game, whereas quite a number of our players were down, and/or off with their skills.

Lenny and Dal had quiet games by their standards = less drive.

Gram and Ray were both out = loss of two of our more important & effective running players = also that BJ did not go forward as much as he may have if they were playing.

Kosi and Milne were two that dropped marks they shoud of taken = loss of scoring shots

Many players had very poor disposal = a severe handicap on our ability to move the ball forward quickly and also allowed the oppostion in to rebound (though Port's disposal at times was none too flash either.

All this combined makes the team look more defensive that it should be, as the passage of the ball does not flow as well. It also causes pressure to build which makes the players hesitate when they should not. But essentially the gameplan was basically the same.

Defensively it is easier to still look ok when your skills are off., and the players sticking to the defensive part of it's gameplan made it very hard for the Power to score.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I guess it goes to show that game plans don't count for that much.

You can stick to it for 4 quarters against average opponents and still get rolled.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:I guess it goes to show that game plans don't count for that much.

You can stick to it for 4 quarters against average opponents and still get rolled.
Or can not stick to it and get destroyed especially when a lot of players are having an off night.

wraiyth
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:I guess it goes to show that game plans don't count for that much.

Or can not stick to it and get destroyed especially when a lot of players are having an off night.
A loss is a loss. Would a percentage loss in Round 4 destroy our finals chances? No. Big deal, we lost by 10 points insteadd of 50 points if we changed something. You'd take the 4 points over a larger drop in percentage anyway you had to take the risk. Those 4 points will be what gets us top 4, not percentage.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

My take on this is that there were opportunities lost in this game but many were by the players.
We lost - moves could have been made - we might have won but something was amiss.
1. I reckon Port will be hard to beat at home this year.
2. Maybe Lyon is trying now to train us to win WITHOUT the main man - and the pressure has to rest on Goddard, Kossie etc.
3. We will be better for this small failure.
4. More will be known after Friday.
5. I have faith in Lyons flexibility.
6. There are opportunities that Lyon is seeking to give players like Gwilt - Dawson - Gardner etc..
7. TO say he made no moves you better look morfe at the replay and see the opportunities not taken - dropped marks etc.
GO SAINTS!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Foz
Club Player

We just need to get hands on the ball first !

We are 13th in the AFL for clearances and putting a lot of pressure on ourselves to defend in games when we should be in attack. The way the games are going, we bog down the defence and then often stutter into attack, waiting for the troupes to go forward. We are also 13th in AFL for scoring shots once inside 50. I believe the effort to defend shows.

Adding to the midfield group eg Steven, getting first use and having attacking wings such as Gram, Ray, Peake will be a huge benefit.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

13th for clearances - wow.
Where are the player stats on clearances?

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The days of just kick it are long gone.

A team playing without a gameplan would get slaughtered...and that does not matter whether it is AFL, soccer, hockey, basketball........

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saintsfan
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:

The days of just kick it are long gone.

A team playing without a gameplan would get slaughtered...and that does not matter whether it is AFL, soccer, hockey, basketball........
Rodgerfox has stated many a time that we become to bomb conscious when in trouble and I am starting to warm to the idea after our last ten minutes in the match against Port.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Foz
Club Player

Players stats on clearances

Montagna 25
Hayes 23
Dal Santo 18
Jones 13
Armitage 12
Goddard 9
Geary 8
King 8
Gram 7

Foz
Club Player

Against Port, our top 5 clearance players had 15 clearances in total against an average of 18.2 for the season.

Of the 15, Montagna had 7 clearances.

My stance is still that we require stronger clearance work to get first ball use and better forward entries. We'll see how we stack up this week!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Foz wrote:Against Port, our top 5 clearance players had 15 clearances in total against an average of 18.2 for the season.

Of the 15, Montagna had 7 clearances.

My stance is still that we require stronger clearance work to get first ball use and better forward entries. We'll see how we stack up this week!
While it's great Joey had so many clearances, I kind of like him getting fed the ball and then running and delivering it inside 50...