Time for Saints Footy. How do we deliver?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:
starsign wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:Saints Footy is an absolute joke.

It is the first catchphrase way of playing football that has not won a flag either which makes it more embaressing. Usually an individual style or tactic gets labelled something after it succeeds. We did not win the Grand Final. Therefore it did not succeed.

It is cringeworthy.
Cringeworthy!!!LOL

Oh my dear young Saintsfan!!!
After reading though all this, I'm going to "labell" your OP "embaressing" even "cringeworthy" in itself
and I'm not referring to the spelling , but its content

Take it from this old fart, who at least witnessed the '66 GF win....we have had for over 100 yrs ( though I don't go back quite that far) a loser mentality as percieved by our opposition
For the majority of our long history our fans/supporters generally had to be satisfied with hero worshiping individuals at the expense of the team itself.....maybe due to lack of success , but that's another issue
But the "point of it all" is that "Saints Footy" embodies a winners philosophy based on a fervent "team" culture that we as a footy club have now embraced ...and I would think our opponents are starting to respect it as such also
In short. it offers a much better chance for supporters like you to witness ultimate success than any other previous StKilda FC mentality/concept/catch-cry...call it what you like ....but for this old loyal fan it's definitely not cringeworthy, but the right way forward and a promise of better things to come
So sit back, think positive and enjoy the ride, as Saints Footy will ultimately deliver if the boys keep embracing it....and believe me it's the only way to go!!
It is slightly strange that supporters are embracing this like a religious cult or that they actually apply 'Saints Footy' to their personal and work lives
Good isn't it? A media campaign and club philosophy has been embraced by about 95% of the posters on this thread. Real passion and commitment.

Similar to "Fortius quo Fidelius" or in English, "Strength through Loyalty"

Would you like to critique that as well, saintsfan? That hole you have been digging must be around 6 feet by now!

Oh, by the way, starsign, excellent post. The term OP refers to the original post of the thread though, which was mine. It's pretty clear you are responding to saintsfan's post which is not the OP. It is his post. Cheers.
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Thu 15 Apr 2010 9:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:It is slightly strange that supporters are embracing this like a religious cult or that they actually apply 'Saints Footy' to their personal and work lives
And that is wrong why???

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Saintsfan wrote:It is slightly strange that supporters are embracing this like a religious cult or that they actually apply 'Saints Footy' to their personal and work lives
And that is wrong why???
Exactly, Dr S, but wait for the response. It will once again try to counterargue, but inadvertently support what we are all saying.

Saintsfan
Club Player

Milan Faletic wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
And that is wrong why???
Exactly, Dr S, but wait for the response. It will once again try to counterargue, but inadvertently support what we are all saying.
Well it is a little obvious I think the whole idea/catchphrasre/religious cult/oath is a damn corny and going to be a joke if we don't actually win anything.

That in mind it makes money and people feel good that they are applying 'Saints Footy' to their everyday lives and talking about it like they have an idea what is going on.

The Saintsfan Cometh
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Saintsfan wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
And that is wrong why???
Well it is a little obvious I think the whole idea/catchphrasre/religious cult/oath is a damn corny and going to be a joke if we don't actually win anything.

That in mind it makes money and people feel good that they are applying 'Saints Footy' to their everyday lives and talking about it like they have an idea what is going on.
Good for you. And I love your "uncorny" signature. Cringeworthy??? Ironic???

saintsfan's sig

"Knock Knock!!
Who's There?
Owen!
Owen Who?
'OH WHEN THE SAINTS'!"

I vote for your sig to replace Saints Footy....hehe. :wink:

Milton66
SS Life Member

"They know we're coming"... now THAT WAS cringeworthy.

Nothing wrong with Saints Footy.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
loris
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
All Saints Footy is, is in essence a set of agreed KPI's
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Did I really read you correctly in this sentence "saintsRrising"???

Well I never :shock: :shock: Never thought I would ever see you use any GT 'corporate jargon' on this site........... remember it was GT who first introduced the lexicon of KPI's to footy speak............. didn't realise you were such a disciple of GT :wink: :wink: :wink:

I s'pose next 'barks4eva' will be quoting slavishly in support of the GT bible on
the 'The Diminishing Value of Ruckmen in AFL Footy' :P :P :P :P

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:"They know we're coming"... now THAT WAS cringeworthy.

Nothing wrong with Saints Footy.
Not as bad as "can you smell what the blue's are cooking"

I watched the presser with Matthew Knights the other day, and he referred to certain players being dropped, because they were not reflecting "Essendon footy"

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Well I never :shock: :shock: Never thought I would ever see you use any GT 'corporate jargon' on this site........... remember it was GT who first introduced the lexicon of KPI's to footy speak............. didn't realise you were such a disciple of GT :wink: :wink: :wink:

I s'pose next 'barks4eva' will be quoting slavishly in support of the GT bible on
Sorry Loris but you have lost me here and so you may have missed some of my posts over the years????

I have always been a fan of doing things in a methodical and disciplined manner. "business like' if you will. But yes with some imagination as well.

Indeed I can remember one particular poster taking me to task a number of times of favouring such an approach over a "football' approach.

You also seem to have forgotten my support for a modern business like football department structure.

While GT liked his Corporate speak...or perhaps really "salespeak" it was not really carried through behind the scenes.... and sometimes some of his corporate speak was shall we say off the track.

Initially I was a fan, but then things stagnated and it became clear that GT was not actually a good manager. Talking the talk, is not always accompanied by walking the walk.

A good business manager focusses on the core issues...and in football the caoch has to coach. Lyon sticks to coaching. GT wanted to be the all embracing "Manager" and lost focus. That does not mean that corporate approaches are not of value. Indeed perhaps GT was following the wrong KPI's !!! :wink:

Stan Alves was the first to introduce Leading Teams to the AFL...and almost snagged us a flag as a result. So there is nothing wrong with learning from other areas...whether it be business, other sports etc...

But it all gets back to football.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
loris
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
loris wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Sorry Loris but you have lost me here and so you may have missed some of my posts over the years????

I have always been a fan of doing things in a methodical and disciplined manner. "business like' if you will. But yes with some imagination as well.

Indeed I can remember one particular poster taking me to task a number of times of favouring such an approach over a "football' approach.

You also seem to have forgotten my support for a modern business like football department structure.

While GT liked his Corporate speak...or perhaps really "salespeak" it was not really carried through behind the scenes.... and sometimes some of his corporate speak was shall we say off the track.

Initially I was a fan, but then things stagnated and it became clear that GT was not actually a good manager. Talking the talk, is not always accompanied by walking the walk.

A good business manager focusses on the core issues...and in football the caoch has to coach. Lyon sticks to coaching. GT wanted to be the all embracing "Manager" and lost focus. That does not mean that corporate approaches are not of value. Indeed perhaps GT was following the wrong KPI's !!! :wink:

Stan Alves was the first to introduce Leading Teams to the AFL...and almost snagged us a flag as a result. So there is nothing wrong with learning from other areas...whether it be business, other sports etc...

But it all gets back to football.
Thanks for the explanation SRR, yes I can & do recall your metholodical approaches in posts over the years......... hence, my post was meant as a tonuge in cheek joke 'joyce'. Sorry you took it the wrong way.