Kosi

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Im think people should just realise that Kosi is our version of Mooney, not any better.

Kicked about the same amount of goals last year. but because Kosi was taken behind Roo ev eryone like to compare him with Roo, which is unfortunate because a Reiwoldt comes around for a club once ever 25 years or so.

Kosi is slow but still does the defensive stuff asked. Kick nearly 50 goals last season.

However Lyon will only persist in players doing the team things, such as zoning and spreading. If he stops doing that and his 2+ average goals a game starts dropping off, he may get time in the reserves.

Lets see how the big fella responds. Some stars have (Dal and Milne) others haven't.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

What Kosi and Roo need as we all know is a third target in the forward line.
In 04 we had Gehrig, Roo and Hammill.
We need to find that third person, right now BJ is the answer if Gwilt can cement a place in the back half.
Having a third marking option that can contribute 30 plus goals that will make us a feared team, not just respected.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

maybe he doesn't give a shyte about praccy matches - ie. cant get motivated by playing them.

Maybe Ross has played him to improve his fitness base as a build up to the real stuff in a fortnight.

Watch this space, Kosi will be back!

kaos theory
Club Player

OK, Kosi isn't setting the world on fire atm. Yes, he could improve, but some comments are stupid, and over the top.

I was at the saints cheer squad end on level three, and you got a good view of the value of his bullocking work when kicking to this end.

In one instance in the second quarter, the ball came into the forward line, and only roo, kosi and their defenders were there. Kosi read it nicely and sacrifced his attempt at marking the ball by taking the other two defenders, fairly, out of the contest.

The result:

Roo took the mark un-opposed and kicked the goal (I think). Point is that this was very important goal assit, which was tough to pull off.

But some of the ranting fools here wouldn't even notice that, and would instead complain why kosi didn't go up for the mark.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:OK, Kosi isn't setting the world on fire atm. Yes, he could improve, but some comments are stupid, and over the top.

I was at the saints cheer squad end on level three, and you got a good view of the value of his bullocking work when kicking to this end.

In one instance in the second quarter, the ball came into the forward line, and only roo, kosi and their defenders were there. Kosi read it nicely and sacrifced his attempt at marking the ball by taking the other two defenders, fairly, out of the contest.

The result:

Roo took the mark un-opposed and kicked the goal (I think). Point is that this was very important goal assit, which was tough to pull off.

But some of the ranting fools here wouldn't even notice that, and would instead complain why kosi didn't go up for the mark.
You have it in one there. He take a good defender out of the game enabling Roo to dominate. People should get off his back

Another opportunity awaits!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
kaos theory wrote:OK, Kosi isn't setting the world on fire atm. Yes, he could improve, but some comments are stupid, and over the top.

The result:

You have it in one there. He take a good defender out of the game enabling Roo to dominate. People should get off his back
I would hope his role is more than taking a good defender.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

What if some of us rambling fools actually see the body work he's doing (and is EXPECTED from EVERY big man) but want to see a little bit more?

ace
Saintsational Legend

One Eyed Saint wrote:Kosi is either in poor form or great form, no in between...

The great thing is that having a full pre-season his form should get better with match time.

With the exceptions of Lenny, Fisher and Gardi we look pretty fit and set for a pretty good year.

This time last year we were playing NAB challenge games in Woop Woop and getting belted.

As long as the injured players get back on the park soon we will be in a lot better position than this time last yeer.

The good thing about getting belted up Woop Woop was the result did not matter.
The only thing the coaches had to concentrate on was the way the team played and were free to try anything they liked including players.
By remaining in the NAB cup you want to win as well, so compromises are made.

For example I would have liked to have seen a lot more of Lynch on the ground at the same time as Roo and Kosi.
As it is that structure has hardly been tested at all.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
35...LEGEND
Club Player

[quote="saintspremiers"]maybe he doesn't give a shyte about praccy matches - ie. cant get motivated by playing them.

Maybe Ross has played him to improve his fitness base as a build up to the real stuff in a fortnight.

Watch this space, Kosi will be back![/quote]

:wink:

35...LEGEND
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:maybe he doesn't give a shyte about praccy matches - ie. cant get motivated by playing them.

Watch this space, Kosi will be back!

:wink:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Just because some of us don't feel like taking up our pitchforks just yet :)

Borderbarry, I agree....Roo and Kosi have ended up contesting the same ball and been in the same position quite alot this NAB cup.

Kaos, twice I saw Kosi pull out at the last minute last night up the Lockett end, and both times it was pretty much near the goal square. I can imagine the hoo-ha if he still gone hard and contested the ball and crashed into Roo.

I agree that we are not setting up great in the forward line at the moment, but given that the over the NAB cup we have had the addition of new personnel into the forward line, a week were Roo and Kosi swapped positions, Roo having last off week as a rest, it is not really to be expected that we they are in sync just yet.

Great thing about that, it's not round one yet.

overitalready
Club Player

Opposition coaches would see Kosi as a real threat, and put their second-best defender on him. They can't afford a part-timer on him, because then he will take 12 marks in a game and dominate. Thus he takes pressure off Roo. Simple really.

RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

overitalready wrote:Opposition coaches would see Kosi as a real threat, and put their second-best defender on him. They can't afford a part-timer on him, because then he will take 12 marks in a game and dominate. Thus he takes pressure off Roo. Simple really.
Geez man...I mean really???

You know the tooth fairy isn't true. Don't you?

Comedy festival already started?

Here's an idea, replace Kosi with a lamp post.

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
battye
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:What Kosi and Roo need as we all know is a third target in the forward line.
In 04 we had Gehrig, Roo and Hammill.
We need to find that third person, right now BJ is the answer if Gwilt can cement a place in the back half.
Having a third marking option that can contribute 30 plus goals that will make us a feared team, not just respected.
I agree, but I think Stanley's our manley.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
bigred
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Im think people should just realise that Kosi is our version of Mooney, not any better.

Kicked about the same amount of goals last year. but because Kosi was taken behind Roo ev eryone like to compare him with Roo, which is unfortunate because a Reiwoldt comes around for a club once ever 25 years or so.

Kosi is slow but still does the defensive stuff asked. Kick nearly 50 goals last season.

However Lyon will only persist in players doing the team things, such as zoning and spreading. If he stops doing that and his 2+ average goals a game starts dropping off, he may get time in the reserves.

Lets see how the big fella responds. Some stars have (Dal and Milne) others haven't.
Agree that you just cannot compare him to Roo. It is just blatantly unfair.

I cant see him holding his spot in the side based on his last three games. Sure, he COULD come out and kick four next week, easily. But it is undeniable that he looks really out of sorts.

Kosi is better than Mooney. He has a brain.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

To be fair....Dont think ive ever seen Kosi dominate a preseaon game....

But his performances against quality opponents is poor....

Then again - Fevola hasnt done much this preseason and he supposedly the best in the business....

saintkid
Club Player

bigred wrote:Kosi is better than Mooney. He has a brain.
How can you honestly say that?? Mooney played a better Grand Final than Kosi, is a more aggressive player (which we badly need aka Hall last night) and has another premiership medal around his neck.

Some of us here really need a reality check on how we perceive our listed players. Kosi has done nothing in any of our finals series, dating back to 2004. His 2008 and 2009 Finals performances were very poor and on an added note, in the 2008 Prelim Final Mooney would not have come off second best in that collision with a much smaller Luke Hodge, unlike Kosi. That incident said a lot about Kosi. Hodge looked more injured and was so inspiring and effective when he came back on. Kosi was finished after that hit and was ineffective before it.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote:
bigred wrote:Kosi is better than Mooney. He has a brain.
How can you honestly say that?? Mooney played a better Grand Final than Kosi, is a more aggressive player (which we badly need aka Hall last night) and has another premiership medal around his neck.

Some of us here really need a reality check on how we perceive our listed players. Kosi has done nothing in any of our finals series, dating back to 2004. His 2008 and 2009 Finals performances were very poor and on an added note, in the 2008 Prelim Final Mooney would not have come off second best in that collision with a much smaller Luke Hodge, unlike Kosi. That incident said a lot about Kosi. Hodge looked more injured and was so inspiring and effective when he came back on. Kosi was finished after that hit and was ineffective before it.
Course he did, he played on Dawson, Kosi played on one of the Norm Smith favourites and a champion footballer in this era. Hardly comparable.

Yes he is injury prone, yes he is slow, but IMO, he played his role in last year's grand final and it was hardly his fault we lost. Don't get it all confused

Kosi is either overrated or derided unfairly on here, there is no middle ground.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Don't worry Kosi was a number 2 draft pick in the 2000 draft.
He is now 27 and has shown some glimpses of his capability very occasionally.

He is simply leaving his best until after he retires. :roll:

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
maverick
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Don't worry Kosi was a number 2 draft pick in the 2000 draft.
He is now 27 and has shown some glimpses of his capability very occasionally.

He is simply leaving his best until after he retires. :roll:
Fiora was a pick 3
Ball a pick 2
Fraser a pick 1
Ray a pick 4
Clarke at 5

I could go on, the pick doesn't matter, that's our fault for picking him, not his. We have struggled to develop him, simple.

Stop blaming him and treat him like everyone else on our list, the draft order is like VCE and unit results, they mean the world at the time, but 5 years into work life, they start to mean SFA.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Re: Kosi

bigred wrote:Was that his WORST ever game?

Should be playing for sandy next week.

Terribad.
I really can't be bothered reading most of the anti kosi posts on here, but let me say this...

He will be great this year, and at most times during a marking contest, last night, he "laid off" in marking because of Roo...

He was in position to mark but roo was there and just did not bother to crash and bash the marking contest.

One thinks if roo would have done the same with a few years ago when we had Gehrig...

Yes, Gehrig was a lead up FF and Kosi is a marking type, but it seems that roo is everywhere (even in within 20 metres) which leaves kosi on the back foot in marking contests IMO.

I hope our forward coach works something out, because ATM both (in most cases) are contesting the same ball and kosi has opted to not contest and flies for the ball with in knowing roo is there and does not want to spoil his partner.

Surely the forward coach can work something out and give some space for kosi to crash and bash a pack and take a mark without him knowing that roo is there and he only half participates in a contest with roo.

Have another look at pack marks...

Yes he missed a sitter from jones's kick, but from what I've seen (the pack marks) he does not go in hard enough (thank god) because roo is also in the mix.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Kosi is better than Mooney. He has a brain.
I am speechless on that one except to say I reckon it's a scoreless draw. :shock:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: Kosi

St Fidelius wrote:
bigred wrote:Was that his WORST ever game?

Should be playing for sandy next week.

Terribad.
I really can't be bothered reading most of the anti kosi posts on here, but let me say this...

He will be great this year, and at most times during a marking contest, last night, he "laid off" in marking because of Roo...

He was in position to mark but roo was there and just did not bother to crash and bash the marking contest.

One thinks if roo would have done the same with a few years ago when we had Gehrig...

Yes, Gehrig was a lead up FF and Kosi is a marking type, but it seems that roo is everywhere (even in within 20 metres) which leaves kosi on the back foot in marking contests IMO.

I hope our forward coach works something out, because ATM both (in most cases) are contesting the same ball and kosi has opted to not contest and flies for the ball with in knowing roo is there and does not want to spoil his partner.

Surely the forward coach can work something out and give some space for kosi to crash and bash a pack and take a mark without him knowing that roo is there and he only half participates in a contest with roo.

Have another look at pack marks...

Yes he missed a sitter from jones's kick, but from what I've seen (the pack marks) he does not go in hard enough (thank god) because roo is also in the mix.
I agree St Fid, Kosi did pull out quite a few times to avoid cleaning up Roo. This is a good sign as in the past he has cleaned him up.

I hope he will be great this year, but the signs are not looking good.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Superboot
SS Life Member

Kosi was unfortunate enough to make a mistake which turned the game when we had the momentum, had dominated for a good 20 minutes, and were about to take the lead.

It felt at the time that he had lost us the game, which on reflection is ridiculous. OK, he made a horrible blunder towards the end of the 3rd quarter which led to a Footscray goal, but he wasn't responsible for the next two.

Having said that, somehow you just knew he was going to make that mistake, because seconds before it happened you were thinking "whatever you do don't hand pass it to the opposition now".

matrix
Saintsational Legend

stanley ff
roo chf
kozi chb