I love that we love Ross Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

enough of that common friggin sense thanks :P

stinger
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:here we go............ :roll:
There's no need for this to turn feral.

No need at all.

If people get some perspective, then there is no need whatsoever for this to escalate.

I doubt it will happen though. And I doubt SrR wants it to happen, otherwise a thread so laiden with bait as juicy as the title and OP would never have been created.

Lyon made errors on the day. He panicked when it got hot. So did some players. Doesn't mean he's a bad coach, doesn't mean he should be sacked, doesn't mean I 'hate' him.

It also doesn't mean he is great. It means he had a very good year as a coach, but didn't perform in the finals.

As I pointed out earlier in the year though, I felt he was relying on Roo to win us games.
During the finals to me, this was very evident. And a concern.

His comments post-GF suggest that he tried that trick one too many times and it cost us dearly.

It wasn't the defining moment. Nor was Schneider's miss in the 1st quarter, nor was the non-free to Milne followed by the free and 50m penalty to Ablett.
However in a GF, when you make as many errors as we did (in the box and on the park) you cannot realisitically expect to win.

Having said that, we nearly did. We f***ed up big time really - yet nearly won.
There's no need to panic at all. We're good enough. We, as supporters, don't need to sit back for the next 6 months and cross our fingers that we'll find an extra 20% improvement from somewhere.
We need to improve in the box, and we need to improve above the shoulders.

They are the areas that cost us.

As for selection, I haven't mentioned players specifically because I don't think it's fair. I rarely pot individual players. And after a GF loss, I hardly think it's ideal to be saying that guys shouldn't have played.

But clearly, you don't need to be Einstein to know that some players who were being picked all year that had people scratching their heads - in the end didn't deliver when it counted.

I commented that Lyon's mistakes would be realised if we suffered injuries. As usual, some people jumped all over it without thinking logically about what was meant. To be fair, quite a few logical people knew exactly what I meant.

The point was, that when everything is going your way it looks easy and everything appears to be perfect. In reality though, your decisions aren't tested until they're put under the microscope.
Losing players to injury, or a Grand Final are a pretty decent microscope.

And in this case, there were some things that were highlighted. Selections weren't right, some players heads weren't right, and our tactics were flimsy.

Now don't get me wrong, alot of things were very well done from the box. But to come out and declare that we should idolise a guy and start putting nude pictures of him up in our bedrooms, after he just made crucial mistakes in the biggest game in the club's recent history - to me lacks logic and perspective, and reeks of immaturity.

credit where credit is due.....good post rf....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Re: I love that we love Ross Lyon

Milan Faletic wrote:It is so refreshing that we, as supporters, haven't pounced on the coach. It shows how far the club has come in the last ten years.

We are now a professionally run organisation that has quality people in administration, coaching, players and supporters, and is primed for success on and off the field.

Sure we are disappointed by the loss, but the team that represented the St Kilda Football Club has represented us with passion, intensity and a spirit that we can all be proud of.

This is not a one off. Our coach has made it clear that he has the big picture in mind and if anyone wants to jump off, they can do it now.

An interesting statistic is that out of 44 St Kilda coaches, Ross Lyon is 5th in number of games coached.

In 2010, we will be fitter, stronger and more experienced than this year. The coaches will also be mentally stronger and more experienced from 2009. No need to hit the panic button. 10% to 15% improvement, a bit of fine tuning, and the inclusion of some of our younger players and I believe we will be there again with a steely resolve this time.

Goodnight.
This was my original post that started the thread.

No mention of naked posters of Ross Lyon on my wall, or fake idolatry. No mention of specific mistakes or lack of mistakes.

Just saying that unlike the 70's, 80's, 90's and even some of the 00's that I have lived through and watched, there is no lynch mob ready to burn effigies of the coach and players. No mass sackings. No $1mill pay checks to bring money hungry coaches out of retirement.

I reiterate that there is no need to hit the panic button as long as we all learn from the mistakes. In over 100 years this will still be looked at as one of the best seasons we have had. We have to learn and improve for next year, just as the 21-1 Geelong team did last year. The 18-4 Geelong won the flag.

I'm not resiling from the mistakes made but we were also bloody close to taking the silver ware. 14 other teams didn't get there. Yes, I am shattered but I'm not taking my ball and going home. Everyone from coach down will be reviewing their performances in a professional manner and will all be striving for improvement. I have no doubt about that and I have complete faith in Ross Lyon.

Goodnight.