Has anyone ever done standing room at the GF before?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:ticket holders with youngish children not keen on standing as their tickets dictate....
particularly in non dry area hence m,y query.
Standing is pretty good at finals, especially the granny.
You'll find that the crowd will look after the kids.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:checking for someone else-
anyone confirm standing room is Generally NOT a dry area correct?

ps although given the supporters who look like standing in some of them they may almost be?
Sorry bratty..why would they be dry? none of the seated areas are...its not like the cricket where you have dry areas for families

Dont get put off by the (sometimes) bogan behaviour of standing room ppl at H&A games..the standing room areas at the GF will be mainly inhabited by normal fans who were a bit unlucky in the ballot. At H&A games they are full of ppl who prefer to stand there cos its close to the bar and they wanna drink all day/night.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I'm just asking the questions saint66au- to endeavour to clarify for people asking me.
and that's what I was assuming too the areas will be differant to usual.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:

ps although given the supporters who look like standing in some of them they may almost be?
Sorry bratty..why would they be dry? none of the seated areas are...its not like the cricket where you have dry areas for families

Dont get put off by the (sometimes) bogan behaviour of standing room ppl at H&A games..the standing room areas at the GF will be mainly inhabited by normal fans who were a bit unlucky in the ballot. At H&A games they are full of ppl who prefer to stand there cos its close to the bar and they wanna drink all day/night.
Not true saint66au, I always stand at the footy and never drink, and the group of 10 or more that I stand with don't drink either.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
saint66au wrote:

Not true saint66au, I always stand at the footy and never drink, and the group of 10 or more that I stand with don't drink either.
Hence my get out of jail "sometimes" hehehehe

All good Bratty..fear not..I very much doubt the kids will be subjected to the equivalent of the Richmond Grog Squad or those drunken clowns who stand at M10 at Hawks games

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

How about ditching the group and grabbing an MCC seat?

(And try and get away with that one alive!).

Seriously though, this whole standing room bizzo for Social Club members is a joke.

I reckon it will put off quite a few people from being a SC member in 2010.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:How about ditching the group and grabbing an MCC seat?

(And try and get away with that one alive!).

Seriously though, this whole standing room bizzo for Social Club members is a joke.

I reckon it will put off quite a few people from being a SC member in 2010.
I agree, if we win this year you'll see a major drop in SC membership.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

thanks guys- have passed on the information
would hate them to miss out and lose money

kids are old enough to be put off and we don't need to lose members.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Moods
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Moods wrote:I've stood in AFL members before. Not that hard to see at all. If you stand in front of the main bar at M21 they are only about 2 - 3 deep there.

K Rudd will be in the MCC Ace. As if they'll put dignatries out with the plebs. THere's always plenty of space in the MCC so little wonder...

Saints66au. Are you an AFL member? If not how did you get standing room tix in the AFL reserve. The AFL reserve sold out within 2 hours of going on sale for non competing members.
No Im not...these is the area allocated to our group in the SC Ballot. Please dont tell me that other neutral/Cats AFL members can stand there as well? Ill be mighty pyssed off if that area isnt 110% Sainter

Enrico...firstly you got your stands mixed up..M12 is in the GSS..but I hear your point

AFAIK they DO enforce what section you stand in..otherwise you'd have a gazillion people on the Wing and noone behind the goals
Mate I stood as neutral in the 2006 GF in the AFL reserve, and as far as I could tell, ppl stood where they liked. How are you going to get into the AFL reserve without a membership card? I've never heard of such a thing. Normally you have to show your ticket AND a full AFL membership card to get in :?

I'm rapt that as many S/C members have got into the game as possible, don't get me wrong. But I reckon if full AFL members from non competing clubs who wanted a ticket to the game on Saturday, but missed out, got wind of this, ie the AFL selling tickets in the AFL reserve to club members w/o an AFL membership, there will be some very p!ssed off members.

As I said the AFL reserve sold out in 2 hours, including standing room. I think now I know why. I find this incredible.

Antiquera

Not that you could take much from it as the G has changed a bit , but in '71 a mate and I got scalpers tickets for standing room.

We were in real early at the front of the fence that seperated us from the seats. After a few early beers those vacant seats looked very inviting. Being quite raw to what might transpire if we made the jump , we did it anyway .

I got a leg up from mate and somehow the box of bottles came next and heaven knows how my mate got over but the deed went unnoticed. We quickly took "our '' seats and relaxed .

Well that was until ''our ''seats became ''their'' seats just before the game!
After being moved on a few times by upset patrons we decided to move to the back seats. These seats had an obscured view of half the ground somewhere behind the city goals . Probably though to be unsellable in those days!

Although we had seats and refreshments at hand , the afternoon became a nightmare as many a saints supporter will know.

I can only advise to those who might look at those vacant seats with some envious gaze , dont jump and take less liquid refreshment.

Security wasn't a high priority in those days or maybe were lucky not to be seen . :lol:

the inheritance of the saints in light
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

saint66au wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:I did it for 15 years in the 70s and 80s.
It is a real long day.
But the atmosphere is great.

And these days there are those TVs.
Yep I did it in 80 and 82...when you got a standing room ticket with your series ticket. Crowded, pushy and very very...blokey lol

Im sure OH&S rules have changed since those days..as have the design of standing room areas. The crowd will have changed then too....back then it was pretty feral cos people deliberately stood there as it was cheap and close to the bar..next Sat it will be full of Social Club members who didnt get a choice.
I also did in in 1980 and yes.. it was VERY crowded and pushy. So much so that if you left your spot to get a beer or have a pee it would be gone by the time you got back.

So how did we get around it??

Bring your own beer (you could in those days, and the esky was great to stand on) and use the old "strap the bicycle tube to the leg" trick to aviod having to visit the mens room. :D

georgie girl
Club Player

Standing room

Bernard Shakey wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Im in M8
same!!!
Me too. Also. As Well.

Looking forward to it, big time.
We are M8 as well.

Hope we can be LOUD and will have lots to cheer about!!

GO SAINTERS!

Maxstar22
Club Player

I just rang the MCG to ask a few questions regarding what you can brinig in and how my Mum will go with her seated walking frame.

I have been told that she is NOT allowed to bring in her seated walking frame as it is considered a seat :shock: And obviously you are only allowed to stand in standing room.

I asked the lady what our options where. She said that she can bring in a walking stick and sit in an empty seat until the person arrives or else she can go sit in the bar :? She also said that you can not bring in eskies or any kind of large chiller bags which can be used as a seat :?

Tom_Aus
Club Player

Maxstar, have you thought about wheelchair access? If she is in a lot of pain weightbearing, then she should be allowed access via a wheelchair. Maybe ask the MCG about your options there?
Good luck pal

west57
Club Player

Yeah I think you would have had to request disabled seats at the time of registering for a GF ticket. I would really like to see an official who would have the gall to tell an elderly lady to not sit on her walking frame as it constitutes a seat in standing room. I'm sure there would be plenty of people who would happily give her a seat on the day.

Maxstar22
Club Player

Unfortunately she does not "qualify" as disabled. Just highlughts how stupid their so called rules are really. I mean what is the harm in bring in a walking frame or a large chiller bag? Are they qworried to will dong a Cats supporter on the head?

But on an absolutely wonderfully positive note, we have secured her a seat :lol:

Thanks to a fantastic relative of ours in Qld...I know she will be reading this...so THANKYOU VERY MUCH :lol:

Thanks to everyone for their support and suggestions.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Maxstar22"]Unfortunately she does not "qualify" as disabled. Just highlughts how stupid their so called rules are really. I mean what is the harm in bring in a walking frame or a large chiller bag? Are they qworried to will dong a Cats supporter on the head?

But on an absolutely wonderfully positive note, we have secured her a seat :lol:

Thanks to a fantastic relative of ours in Qld...I know she will be reading this...so THANKYOU VERY MUCH :lol:

Thanks to everyone for their support and suggestions.[/quot

thats so awesome, you get a seat next to her?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
ace
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:I've stood in AFL members before. Not that hard to see at all. If you stand in front of the main bar at M21 they are only about 2 - 3 deep there.

K Rudd will be in the MCC Ace. As if they'll put dignatries out with the plebs. THere's always plenty of space in the MCC so little wonder...

Saints66au. Are you an AFL member? If not how did you get standing room tix in the AFL reserve. The AFL reserve sold out within 2 hours of going on sale for non competing members.
K Rudd is NOT a member of the MCC.
K Rudd will be a guest of the AFL commission.
After all this is an AFL event.
The AFL commission sit in the AFL members reserve (they don't do standing).
K Rudd will be siiting alongside M Fitzpatrick and A Demetriou of the AFL commission.

If K Rudd attends the cricket then he may be a guest of the MCC committee and sit in the MCC reserve.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey wrote:
Moods wrote:K Rudd will be in the MCC Ace. As if they'll put dignatries out with the plebs. THere's always plenty of space in the MCC so little wonder....
Rudd is overseas and won't be back for the GF.
He wont miss the opportunity to be on TV.
He will have Visy make a cardboard cut off himself and get Julia Gillard to place it in the seat next to Demetriou.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
saintbrat wrote:Bernard can you answer my question re the bar and people who may be in any given area?
In my experience Standing is not a dry area.

I'm not sure about the MCC Members, though.

Are their any dry areas anymore?
I have never liked to drink alcohol.
When I am free to pick my own seat in the MCC reserve I go to the level 3 balcony in front of Frank Grey Smith bar.
I don't know if it is a dry area but I can't remember anyone attempting to spill their beer over me while returning to their seat.
Drinkers are able to stand in the bar and watch the game through the panoramic windows and on TVs.

Maxstar22
Club Player

Solar wrote:
Maxstar22 wrote:Unfortunately she does not "qualify" as disabled. Just highlughts how stupid their so called rules are really. I mean what is the harm in bring in a walking frame or a large chiller bag? Are they qworried to will dong a Cats supporter on the head?

No mate, I still having standing. Crossing everything something will come up, but at this stage I'm still with you lot 8-)

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Maxstar22 wrote:
Solar wrote:
Maxstar22 wrote:Unfortunately she does not "qualify" as disabled. Just highlughts how stupid their so called rules are really. I mean what is the harm in bring in a walking frame or a large chiller bag? Are they qworried to will dong a Cats supporter on the head?

No mate, I still having standing. Crossing everything something will come up, but at this stage I'm still with you lot 8-)
still glad she got a seat! That made my week :D will sms you on the day and we can catchup (see your messages)

BTW BUMP!! GO STANDING ROOM SAINTS!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Maxstar22
Club Player

Solar wrote:
Maxstar22 wrote:
Solar wrote:

still glad she got a seat! That made my week :D will sms you on the day and we can catchup (see your messages)

BTW BUMP!! GO STANDING ROOM SAINTS!
Got your number and replied with mine 8-)
We have to work out what time we are getting there and whether we can all stand together seen as we are in different bays.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

So if i get there about 10:00 will i get decent standing?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93