Thank god Milne did not get sacked

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote:Facts are indisputable - Lyon cr@ps on the used car salesman as a coach and only the "disciples of love" still hold out some weird infatuation with the corporate snake oil man.

I listen to Thomas on FC and cringe at most of what he says - its all meaningless words that go nowhere and leave the other panelist laughing at this joker (not to mention the amount of times he gets his facts wrong...).
3 pages in 24 hours... here we go, I thought, and pulled up the comfy chair with a box of popcorn.

Didn't think I'd have something to add to the conversation, but...

For a guy who supposedly came from, and supposedly brought with him, I.T. corporate culture - the man is an idiot.

Back in the late-'90s I.T. boom there were plenty of guys who got by with absolutely no clue, but a lot of bluster, smoke and mirrors. "Project Manager" was a popular career track. Pick up a few industry buzzwords and let appearances do the rest.

The current football department structure shows far more corporate nous than anything that happened under GT.

I don't know if anyone remembers the online chat I got onto when I fired off a question about his comments about "conditioning staff".

Now if it had been an oral conversation you might forgive an opaque answer. But his written one was utter nonsense. It's not as if he didn't have time to order his thoughts.

A few guys also flew under the corporate radar with sub-standard communication skills. Not so much these days.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
spert
Saintsational Legend

Lets not go on about this -Milne was an underperformer in important games for much of his career and now under Lyon he has sorted out many deficiencies and is a valuable player this season.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Lets not go on about this -Milne was an underperformer in important games for much of his career and now under Lyon he has sorted out many deficiencies and is a valuable player this season.
I totally agree with the OP subject - Thank God Milne did not get sacked - It is not a GT RL debate - Milne was underperforming - now he is not - and I reckon there is more to come from the little Yapper in September - Aurora proved one big thing - you can stop tall or you can stop small - you cant stop All!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saintly
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saintly wrote:unfortunately as the team gets closer to the grandfinal the media will continually go to thomas for answers/questions/comments. and unfortunately he will answer them and be controversioal so he can still be on the airwaves
Just to bring you up to speed, Thomas is the media.

They don't have to come to him - it's his job now to express his views.

The best part about it, is that you have no oglbigation to listen.
there is a difference of being in the media.

look at stan alves, ozzie jones. I do not remember the last time those two said anything controversial about the saints. thats the difference.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
saintly wrote:unfortunately as the team gets closer to the grandfinal the media will continually go to thomas for answers/questions/comments. and unfortunately he will answer them and be controversioal so he can still be on the airwaves
Just to bring you up to speed, Thomas is the media.

They don't have to come to him - it's his job now to express his views.

The best part about it, is that you have no oglbigation to listen.
there is a difference of being in the media.

look at stan alves, ozzie jones. I do not remember the last time those two said anything controversial about the saints. thats the difference.
Without meaning to be disrespectful to yourself, I think you, like many others on here, only hear what they want to hear.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: It's amusing that people who were declaring him a super coach when he couldn't get out of his own daylight and made us miss the finals for the first time in a long time - now feel vindicated.

Feel vindicated for having blind faith, sure. Kudos for being loyal. But please don't insult the intelligence of other posters by feeling vindicated for believing you were right.
Dumbed down numbnut, nuffies and simpleton's like yourself know SFA and you're still living in some Thomas in wonderland fairy story!

The list was in decline, too many slow players with poor conditioning and fitness levels, Thomas was directly responsible for this mess and for us missing the finals and only just scraping into them in 2006!

FACT is when Ross Lyon arrived aside from taking Milne of the trade table, YES this was his call, one of the first things he did was read the riot act, wanting to know who the **** was responsible for all the abysmal recruiting, drafting and development!

Well we know who that was!

We had a very unfit poorly conditioned list, too many slow players and he went ballistic!

Thomas is on record this year as saying " fitness and conditioning staff are overrated", and his track record proved that he paid this fundamental area scant regard!

When Misson arrived he requested time trials for certain players and was gobsmacked when he was informed that they did not exist!
Other players were doing exercises that were actually increasing their risk of injury and Misson put them on new revised training programs!

After Lyon's first year when we finished 9th, ROBERT HARVEY said Lyon is the best coach he has ever had!

Now this might be a bit too much for your dumbed down, laterally challenged mind to understand, but don't worry I'm sure you're not alone here,

FACT is Lyon was sowing the seeds for the progress we are now making from day one, right across the board and cleaning up the shambolic mess that your hero left behind!

What Lyon and the new professional football department have achieved in such a short space of time is truly remarkable!

What's really amusing, no actually it's nauseating is dumb *** dingbats, simpleton's and laterally challenged goofballs like yourself who don't actually realize that if anything, not having a real McCoy coach and a professionally run football department from 2001 has probably cost us two premierships already!

FAIR DINKUM

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
Teflon wrote:Facts are indisputable - Lyon cr@ps on the used car salesman as a coach and only the "disciples of love" still hold out some weird infatuation with the corporate snake oil man.

I listen to Thomas on FC and cringe at most of what he says - its all meaningless words that go nowhere and leave the other panelist laughing at this joker (not to mention the amount of times he gets his facts wrong...).
3 pages in 24 hours... here we go, I thought, and pulled up the comfy chair with a box of popcorn.

Didn't think I'd have something to add to the conversation, but...

For a guy who supposedly came from, and supposedly brought with him, I.T. corporate culture - the man is an idiot.

Back in the late-'90s I.T. boom there were plenty of guys who got by with absolutely no clue, but a lot of bluster, smoke and mirrors. "Project Manager" was a popular career track. Pick up a few industry buzzwords and let appearances do the rest.

The current football department structure shows far more corporate nous than anything that happened under GT.

I don't know if anyone remembers the online chat I got onto when I fired off a question about his comments about "conditioning staff".

Now if it had been an oral conversation you might forgive an opaque answer. But his written one was utter nonsense. It's not as if he didn't have time to order his thoughts.

A few guys also flew under the corporate radar with sub-standard communication skills. Not so much these days.
Huh?

How has the IT corporate background??

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
rodgerfox wrote: It's amusing that people who were declaring him a super coach when he couldn't get out of his own daylight and made us miss the finals for the first time in a long time - now feel vindicated.

Feel vindicated for having blind faith, sure. Kudos for being loyal. But please don't insult the intelligence of other posters by feeling vindicated for believing you were right.
Dumbed down numbnut, nuffies and simpleton's like yourself know SFA and you're still living in some Thomas in wonderland fairy story!

The list was in decline, too many slow players with poor conditioning and fitness levels, Thomas was directly responsible for this mess and for us missing the finals and only just scraping into them in 2006!

FACT is when Ross Lyon arrived aside from taking Milne of the trade table, YES this was his call, one of the first things he did was read the riot act, wanting to know who the **** was responsible for all the abysmal recruiting, drafting and development!

Well we know who that was!

We had a very unfit poorly conditioned list, too many slow players and he went ballistic!

Thomas is on record this year as saying " fitness and conditioning staff are overrated", and his track record proved that he paid this fundamental area scant regard!

When Misson arrived he requested time trials for certain players and was gobsmacked when he was informed that they did not exist!
Other players were doing exercises that were actually increasing their risk of injury and Misson put them on new revised training programs!

After Lyon's first year when we finished 9th, ROBERT HARVEY said Lyon is the best coach he has ever had!

Now this might be a bit too much for your dumbed down, laterally challenged mind to understand, but don't worry I'm sure you're not alone here,

FACT is Lyon was sowing the seeds for the progress we are now making from day one, right across the board and cleaning up the shambolic mess that your hero left behind!

What Lyon and the new professional football department have achieved in such a short space of time is truly remarkable!

What's really amusing, no actually it's nauseating is dumb *** dingbats, simpleton's and laterally challenged goofballs like yourself who don't actually realize that if anything, not having a real McCoy coach and a professionally run football department from 2001 has probably cost us two premierships already!

FAIR DINKUM
Congratulations on your blind faith. You should be commended for it.

Afterall, clubs wouldn't survive without the diehards like yourself.

If only you were right when you had the blind faith to delcare we were going to win the flag in 07. I think you even started a thread declaring it.

Oh well, hopefully your blind faith is rewarded this time around. You're bound to get one right sooner or later....surely!

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Blind faith has nothing to do with it, I said all along from 2005, get a real coach and we'll win a premiership!

Ross Lyon is a football genius, opinion based on observation not blind faith!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Didn't Lyon also drop Milne for lack of performance?

Seems like GT is correct in this instance, that the penny has finally dropped with Milney.

Also will GT be the first to congratulate Milney if we win the GF and Milney has a shocker??? :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
markp
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Also will GT be the first to congratulate Milney if we win the GF and Milney has a shocker??? :D
Whatever happens do you think Milne would take the call?... if he did, I'd like to be listening in.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Blind faith has nothing to do with it, I said all along from 2005, get a real coach and we'll win a premiership!

Ross Lyon is a football genius, opinion based on observation not blind faith!
You're funny.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Had to happen sooner or later... the Shining Knight defends GT's honour, taking all challengers!

Joust away! I'll get fresh popcorn.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Had to happen sooner or later... the Shining Knight defends GT's honour, taking all challengers!

Joust away! I'll get fresh popcorn.
I'm not defending anyone's honour.

I just find it funny when people come in shooting from the hip with big calls, only to find out they're infact shooting blanks.

GT coming in with IT corporate background?? Priceless.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:The list was in decline, too many slow players with poor conditioning and fitness levels, Thomas was directly responsible for this mess and for us missing the finals and only just scraping into them in 2006!
barks4eva wrote:Blind faith has nothing to do with it, I said all along from 2005, get a real coach and we'll win a premiership!
It strikes me that B4E is not alone on this forum in fervently espousing two seemingly irreconcilable propositions.

(a) GT ruined our list and we were "in decline" in 2006.

(b) The club was destined for a flag if we could only get ourselves a decent coach.

i cannot accept the idea that these two propositions could possibly both be true in the same rational universe.

I have thought since towards the end of last season that Lyon was developing into a far better coach than GT would have ever become. I am therefore now almost a fully paid-up subscriber to (b): "almost" because, even though I believe that the team is now travelling better than it has since the 1970s, I have been around long enough to know that this doesn't 100% guarantee that we will win the GF, or even make it through to the GF. The season starts again in the finals series.

But I can't come at (a) at any price. On Saturday, missing 8 of our top players (all players who were on our list before Lyon got to the club), plus two other handy players recruited in the early noughties (Goose and X), we beat last year's premiers with a lineup in which a number of our best performers on the day - Max, Blake, Raph, McQualter, Ball, Milne - were also already at the club when RL arrived.

Our performances this season have demonstrated that our list at the end of 2006 was clearly what the footy world saw it as being: one of the best in the AFL, representing the chance of a lifetime for whomever the club appointed to take over from GT. It is probably far and away the best ever playing list handed over to a coach after his predecessor had been sacked.

The list certainly wasn't performing as the club would like it to, but there is absolutely no truth that it was in a "decline", was "full of holes you could drive a truck through" and other drivel put forward by the usual culprits on this forum in 2007 and 2008.

Some of them have had the self-respect to shut up about the idea that the list was no good (albeit not the honesty to confess they were wrong).

B4E just keeps going on about it because, well, just because. I personally don't think people should have too much of a go at anyone who is clearly as passionate as he is about the Saints.

However, B4E, the time is rapidly approaching when you are going to find yourself a new area of interest other than discovering/devising (?) new slang terms for self-gratification!!
Last edited by meher baba on Wed 12 Aug 2009 2:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:
Having been at East Sandy on the week end and looked at the boards your old man really stuffed up with Judd.

I didn't realise the close conection. Judd should have been a Saint.

Your old man was chairman but lacked the balls to force him through despite the background. Unbelieveable.

With Judd we would have had a flag already IMO (and your old man was obviously very close to him)
Butterss wanted to use our selection on Judd, was overruled by Thomas who's preference was for Ball!

roxanne
Club Player

Oh Meher Baba, I love the idea you think this forum could exist as a rational universe. I agree that Ross Lyon is shaping up as a better coach than Grant Thomas. Interestingly, Grant Thomas thinks so too - and has said it, out loud on the telly. He's like all of us, only wants the best for the Saints. I really admire him.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

roxanne wrote: I agree that Ross Lyon is shaping up as a better coach than Grant Thomas. Interestingly, Grant Thomas thinks so too - and has said it, out loud on the telly. He's like all of us, only wants the best for the Saints. I really admire him.
Shaping up, FAIR DINKUM it's like comparing Gomer Pyle to Isaac Newtown!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
It strikes me that B4E is not alone on this forum in fervently espousing two seemingly irreconcilable propositions.

(b) The club was destined for a flag if we could only get ourselves a decent coach.

i cannot accept the idea that these two propositions could possibly both be true in the same rational universe.

Simply put, option (b) didn't pan out as expected. Therefore to avoid looking like complete fools, 'they' created option (a) to justify their original incorrect stance.

Would have been far easier to simply say "we were wrong" in the first place. Because the extent that option (a) was flogged when Lyon was coaching us out of the finals for the first time in years, means that now in 2009, watching the same players that were present in 06 and 07 all in the top 10 of Brownlow favourites, media awards and certain AAs - means that both arguments were completely and utterly false.

Sometimes it's just easier to say "Whoops. I was wrong."

Rather than being very wrong on both points, 'they' could have cut their losses at being wrong only on option (b) in the first case.
Last edited by rodgerfox on Wed 12 Aug 2009 2:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

roxanne
Club Player

I ask you, did Isaac Newton ever win an Emmy??
Or cut a best selling record about Impossible Dreams?
What's gravity compared to THAT.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
meher baba wrote:

Simply put, option (b) didn't pan out as expected. Therefore to avoid looking like complete fools, 'they' created option (a) to justify their original incorrect stance.

Would have been far easier to simply say "we were wrong" in the first place. Because the extent that option (a) was flogged when Lyon was coaching us out of the finals for the first time in years, means that now in 2009, watching the same players that were present in 06 and 07 all in the top 10 of Brownlow favourites, media awards and certain AAs - means that both arguments were completely and utterly false.

Your level of buffoonery knows no limits, you know SFA and your so laterally challenged it's scary!

Why in 2007 when we'd finished 9th was Robert Harvey saying that Ross Lyon is the best coach he's ever had?

Too deep for you, dodgy!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
meher baba wrote:

Your level of buffoonery knows no limits, you know SFA and your so laterally challenged it's scary!

Why in 2007 when we'd finished 9th was Robert Harvey saying that Ross Lyon is the best coach he's ever had?

Too deep for you, dodgy!
Possibly the same reason he said that Grant Thomas' tenure was his most enjoyable time at the club.

I think I may have given you too much credit. I thought you were to be applauded for your blind support of the coach - but it sounds like you've based your support on a comment from a player in the media!!

Oh dear.

markp
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: It strikes me that B4E is not alone on this forum in fervently espousing two seemingly irreconcilable propositions.

Let's put emotive words like 'ruined' and 'destined' to one side for a moment....

If you cant concede we missed a chance for a flag in 2004 and 2005, and we were in decline in 2006 then you're not being fair dinkum.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
roxanne wrote: I agree that Ross Lyon is shaping up as a better coach than Grant Thomas. Interestingly, Grant Thomas thinks so too - and has said it, out loud on the telly. He's like all of us, only wants the best for the Saints. I really admire him.
Shaping up, FAIR DINKUM it's like comparing Gomer Pyle to Isaac Newtown!
Said it at least 5 times now and it still isnt funny.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
meher baba wrote: It strikes me that B4E is not alone on this forum in fervently espousing two seemingly irreconcilable propositions.

Let's put emotive words like 'ruined' and 'destined' to one side for a moment....

If you cant concede we missed a chance for a flag in 2004 and 2005, and we were in decline in 2006 then you're not being fair dinkum.
Of course we missed a chance.

We missed a chance last year, and even the year before that.

Do I think we were the most likely side to win the flags in 04 and 05? Absolutely not.

We were not the best team in the comp in 04 by a longshot. We played a great first half of the year, then as young teams do, we came back to the pack as the season took it's toll.

As history dictates, the hardened mature teams played off for the flag. As disappointing as it was, I never once felt we 'let it slip'. We weren't good enough. Simple.

In 05, ahead of schedule, we were the best team in the comp. Had we not had 7 of our best 22 missing in the Prelim, we would have won the flag.
And Geelong too had every right to say 'had we not lost 4 players during the 3rd quarter against Sydney, we would have won the flag'.

We didn't win in 05 because of injuries. Nothing else.

In 06, our injuries were even worse. Yet we still plugged away and dominated a final until we lost 4 players through injury during the match.

Did we miss a chance? Of course. As did 5 other teams every year during this period.
Did we lose the unlosable? No.
Was the cause of us missing a chance, the fault of the coach? No.

Were we in decline in 06? No more than other team who has been a contender for 2-3 years in a row.

Did Geelong decline in 06? Who's fault was that?

We, like all other clubs who have 3 years in the top 4 were facing a situation where the older players are over the hill. It's called a mini-rebuild.
For some clubs, it's a full rebuild if the coach hasn't loaded up on the youth end of the list. Thomas had done this, so for us there was always going to be a lull of 2-3 years around the 2007 time.

So, to answer your question - were we in decline in 06? To a point.
Was it the fault of the coach? No.

Was there any way to avoid any form of decline, whilst remaining a contender within the rules of the AFL?

Geelong declined in 06. It's football. It's the way the system is designed.

Are Hawthorn in decline now?

The thing that our club did very well, was load up on quality youth. So, when the inevitable dip happened (which I always predicted would happen at the end of 07) it would only be a short wait until our core group of guns became the mature, hardened 100-150 game group that you need to be a premiership contender.

I've never argued the Thomas sacking. Only the timing. In my view (and now that we're 19-0 it doesn't really matter) he should have coached 2007 as the inevitable dip or 'decline' was going to happen anyway. So if he didn't get a flag in 07 (which I still feel we were capable of) he would have been sacked for a new coach to come in and start again.