Carlton pursuing Maguire

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

vacuous space
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:He hasn't played good, consistent footy since 2004
He was in most people's AA teams in 05 (including Malthouse's and Sheedy's) before Croad, who had played a lot of the year up forward, was given the nod by the selectors. Most people around here at the time felt Goose was robbed. He had a pretty solid 06 too before the injury. Beaten by Jonathan Brown and Richo from memory. Hardly embarrassing.

I'm not sure how mobile he'll be when he returns, but not all key forwards are mobile. I'm pretty sure he could play on the likes of Cloke and Hall if needed. He could always play the Tom Harley role as well, dropping off smalls to fill the hole.

There's a lot of options with Goose. I wouldn't trade him unless somebody offers something worthwhile. I don't think something around pick 50 is worth the bother.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintjake
Club Player

maverick wrote:
saint patrick wrote:
maverick wrote:
saint patrick wrote:Fine.

For Jaryd Waite or Bryce Gibbs and we'll look at it.. :wink:

Need Gosse with Maxy's departure imminant.
Goose can't play FB, too slow and clumsy in contests....
Wasn't suggesting he would...Sam Fisher to Fall back and Goose Centre half Back until Miles developes perhaps.
Fisher would be wasted at FB, his role right now is his best spot....
he'd play like scarlett, and run off all day.

saintjake
Club Player

i jusat cant wait, to see the big goose back and about.
with his strut,
killing packs,
kicking the ball to roo on the lead from the goal square:P
and taking those customary running with the flight marks.
i think some have forgottten how good he was,
you dont get rid of him

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

No to trading him.

We are short on defenders (once Max goes) and elite midfielders.

Why we'd be trading NDS and Maguire for under their club value is beyond me.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

St Marcus wrote:Tell Carlton to get lost, I'm stilled p***ed with us trading Rice and Lappin to the cheaters

Matt will come back better than ever.

Plus my partner will be BESIDE herself if he leaves the Saints. He is her favourite player (not just in the football sense).
Big difference with Rice and Smith they were younger and were traded before being given a chance to recover and come back.

Magiure's had come backs already and keeps breaking down.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:the question is though, will he ever recover from all those leg injuries. and he has basically had two years out of the game. when he came back this year he looked too slow to hold a key defender spot. i would be happy with a 1st or 2nd rounder for goose.
1st rounder? you must be kidding.

my mail (pretty good source) - says he will never be the same again. his injury was very very serious and horrific at times. he may never play again and if he does will be a shadow of his former self.

PS. PLEASE DELETE THIS MESSAGE BEFORE CARLTON READ IT. we should try to get something good for him from those scum bags.
Well my mail is they're very happy with the way it's progressing and when he was checked by a world-leader in the field, he was happy too because the procedure he had was what the expert said he would've done, too. Carlton can get stuffed. You don't trade key defenders with a bit of mongrel, who take contested marks and kick goals.
hope you are right and im wrong. really do. i like the guy. and he was a top player before his leg. id love him back. we really need him.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:
maverick wrote:WOuld we swap Maguire for Lovett?
ie Blues give us their 2nd/third rounder and we pass it on to the bummers?

I reckon they'd want more than a Lovett.
lovett is better than goose. sorry. but he is. id take lovett in 2 seconds.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintwill66 wrote:This thread is a pathetic joke...........

Maguire will make a full recovery and come back stronger and fitter than ever.

St Kilda will have learned from the experience with Dean Rice and Joel Smith who were both let go because of chronic injuries and continued their careers in great form with Carlton and Hawthorn respectively.

Neither Maguire nor Dal Santo nor Koschitske will be traded - to suggest otherwise is absolute garbage.
why is it garbage? NDS and Kosi will be shopped around. make no mistake. whether they are traded depends on a lot of things. getting a deal is unlikely i agree. but dont think we wont consider it. kosi is nowhere near as good as saints fans think he is.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

but has a potential upside, what would clubs offer for him 2nd rnd? 3rd rnd? IMO the risk of having Kosi on the list instead of a mid pick is a lot less, he's worth more to St Kilda than any other club.