Banner vs Hawks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:I dont want to sound like im sticking the boots in on good ol Dools here but my experiances with the cheer squad has disgusted me and been highly frustrating.

Having been tempted to join the cheer squad for some time I enquired at a family day about joining only to be hit with a set of "rules" such as "You MUST come on interstate trips" "You MUST help with the banner" and others I explained I have no car and work is an issue I was respectfully told I wasnt a true supporter and would not be allowed the honor of joining our cheer squad.

The Moorabbin Wings attempts to amalgamate with the cheer squad (at THEIR request) has also been met with scorn and side ways stares.

My advice to the cheer squad would be to stop being so blood elitist and think you are better than the rest of us becuase you stick some crate paper togther and chant a few silly grade 6 style songs

BANG BANG
Wow!

I wouldn't be able to go on interstate trips......

.....or make the banner.

Money is definitely the issue with me, because I have to work weekends and friday nights.......

How do they afford it all?

markp
Saintsational Legend

With any group of people there is politics, I'm sure the power games and pecking order in the CS are the same as anywhere... one or three chiefy's always want to run the show.

I'm sure Dools would have some stories of monumental pettiness....

It's there prerogative to choose the banner saying, at least they are not pretending all input is welcome and wasting folks time I suppose.

My only concern with the CS is that they can seem a bit quiet and sedate.... the only pre-requisite to joining should be that you scream your bloody lungs out each week.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:I dont want to sound like im sticking the boots in on good ol Dools here but my experiances with the cheer squad has disgusted me and been highly frustrating.

Having been tempted to join the cheer squad for some time I enquired at a family day about joining only to be hit with a set of "rules" such as "You MUST come on interstate trips" "You MUST help with the banner" and others I explained I have no car and work is an issue I was respectfully told I wasnt a true supporter and would not be allowed the honor of joining our cheer squad.

The Moorabbin Wings attempts to amalgamate with the cheer squad (at THEIR request) has also been met with scorn and side ways stares.

My advice to the cheer squad would be to stop being so blood elitist and think you are better than the rest of us becuase you stick some crate paper togther and chant a few silly grade 6 style songs

BANG BANG
sorry, but i dont believe you. nobody would of said you MUST come interstate or MUST make the banner.
incase you didnt know...but we get about 25 people going interstate, and 15 making the banners.
25 on an interstate trip...out of 400 people, that must be alot of people who have broken the rules! :roll:

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Dools - Lets bury the hatchett on this whole thing - How can we become CS members and maybe we can get 800 people with 50 Interstae and 30 making the banners.

Lets go SAINTERS - Bleed Red, White and Black for your club!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

F*** it
i hate sitting directly behind the goals :P

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:F*** it
:D

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

matrixcutter wrote:F*** it
i just dont like to sit near screaming kids :wink:

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:

BANG BANG
sorry, but i dont believe you. nobody would of said you MUST come interstate or MUST make the banner.
incase you didnt know...but we get about 25 people going interstate, and 15 making the banners.
25 on an interstate trip...out of 400 people, that must be alot of people who have broken the rules! :roll:
"Sorry" Dooley but that is the truth. I have no reason to lie. I was told I must help make the banner and come on interstate trips and show up to games 3-4 hours early and some other things that I do not remember, this was about 4 years ago so mabey things have changed, but I was told the things that I posted above, again why would I lie about it?

My main point was not what I was told but how I was treated after I said I couldnt meet the "requirments" To be told im not a real supporter and to get fish eyed looks from people when sitting with the cheer squad with the Wing was what pissed me off.

What im mainly saying is in the last paragraph of my post, that mabey some elements in our cheer squad need to grow up a little bit.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Actually I can vouch for Hurricane's story.

Somewhere between 5 and 10 years ago, I wanted to join the CS. I would have been about 15/16. I enquired at a club function (a CLUB FUNCTION) to one of the ladies who was running the CS at the time.

At that point I was going through a pretty tough time and didnt have much else to do with my time, I would have loved to go down and help make the banners. This was before I knew about the MW, before the 'latest' version of SS, and the possibility of being a part of a group of like minded saints fans excited me.

Unfortunately I didnt have alot of money, couldnt afford most interstate trips, or even get myself to Moorabbin alot of weeks to make the banner, and so I was politely told that there was not much point in me becoming a member of the CS. Our offer of payment for membership was declined as there was 'not much point'.

So, I realise how hard it would be to believe the stories, but its true.

Not long after this incident, I discovered Saintsational. The rest is history.

Go Saints!

HarveysDeciple

can also support nick...

In 2000 when I was 15, myself and a mate went to optus oval and sat next to the saints cheersquad.

The ex president Michael came up to us and said, "we have some spare seats in here, why don't you come over and sit with us"
So over we went, and after the game we joined up, and were members for about 3 years.

In 2002, under different leadership the exact contrast happened.

We were back at Optus playing Freo in front of about 9,000 people.
Our cheersquad was only half full all day with plenty of vacant seats.

Early in the third term a couple of kids wandered over and sat in the cheersquad, only to have 3 members of the cheersquad hop up and ask them to leave....
they left probably disgruntled and would have had no encouragement whatsoever to join.
Absolute chalk and cheese.

The cheersquad do terrific work, they love the saints and they deserve tremendous praise for their efforts.
They just need to open their minds and become a little less "us against them"

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Imagine if we were part of the cheer squad......this bunch of male 20 somethings (HD, n1ck, Hurricane, the spinners to name a few) coupled with the voices of the 40 somethings of the MW (saint66au, eastern and everyone who sits there).....

We would be a force! Rage and fury would be gushing over the fence!

Instead we have gay chants.

Looks like the cheer squad wanted to keep all the cheering to themselves all those years back.......much like the sayings on the banner come finals time.

My brothers, Dad and I will do our best on Saturday night - M4 Row A.....ROAR!!!

markp
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Imagine if we were part of the cheer squad......this bunch of male 20 somethings (HD, n1ck, Hurricane, the spinners to name a few) coupled with the voices of the 40 somethings of the MW (saint66au, eastern and everyone who sits there).....

We would be a force! Rage and fury would be gushing over the fence!

Instead we have gay chants.

Looks like the cheer squad wanted to keep all the cheering to themselves all those years back.......much like the sayings on the banner come finals time.

My brothers, Dad and I will do our best on Saturday night - M4 Row A.....ROAR!!!

I was thinking the same thing on the weekend... what they need is a few more loud and aggressive (in a positive sense) members.

Shouldn't underestimate the power of a loud, involved and excited crowd on the players, or the potential of a proactive CS to encourage and motivate that crowd.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Shame really that this thread has to exist during a week when we all should be united and full of solidarity..but now that its here..

Dools..I hear you are a nice fella..Id love to meet ya one day (someone pointed you out to me at the Essendon game)...but..tact and diplomacy when posting on here aint your strong points...fr instance..

* Admitting you booed the team walking off. Silly..you were always gonna get flamed.

* Bagging other players in your own team in a Forum game..silly.

* Alienating an entire Forum by telling them not to bother starting a banner thread. WHy not just not say anything??? Everyone would have just thought to themselves "Ah well someone else apart from SS got a gig..good on them". Like I said..tact mate ..tact..

Oh..and now youve "outed" yourself as being 16...better go easy on all that talk about how much you are gonna drink after Forum games eh???lol ;-)

Now for the good stuff..

Yep...agree with Snoops..you guys looked great all in the caps on Sat urday...Fantastic idea by the CLub and Id make it mandantory for all games from now on

Just on that..can I make one other constructive suggestion? Ever thought of introducing a friendly "fine" system for not wearing a minumum amount of club colour on Match day? I know Hawthorn and North do it and they are always a blaze of colour. The money raised can go towards Interstate trips, flags, whatever. Only has to be $2....$1 for kids.. I did notice when down there at the Essendon game that a few of you just in "civvies"

THought the MW and CS melded together really well at the Essendon game. One lil discussion between our chant guy and yours and I thought we meade a great racket together...and finally well done on your treatment of markusa during his visit. Obviouisly left a huge positive impression. Maybe thats how every newbie to the CS needs to be welcomed :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Ok some of you need to grow up get over it and move on like real men

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Yep...agree with Snoops..you guys looked great all in the caps on Sat urday...Fantastic idea by the CLub and Id make it mandantory for all games from now on

Just on that..can I make one other constructive suggestion? Ever thought of introducing a friendly "fine" system for not wearing a minumum amount of club colour on Match day?
yeah, i might talk about that at the AGM or something later on in the year...that we should all wear the red member caps for Melbourne Games. it does look very nice on tv i have to admit, just from watching hawks games on tv i think they all wear the same tops, from what ive seen the first 10 rows or about that behind the goals are wearing gold t-shirts and caps? looks fantastic...but alot of money involved to get that going, and thats something our cheer squad doesnt have!

i ive heard of that fine system before, and to me sounds like rubbish. i reckon if you are sitting in the cheer squad you are obviously supporting that team, because if you are not you would be acked to leave befroe u have time to blink, and i know every cheer squad makes sure of that. i think the fine part isnt needed, if you come wearing a normal black Addadis jumper with a saints scaff over the top let the person wear that...you cant fource someone to wear something they dont want to. remember when you were a kid and Mummy made you wear what she thought looked cute on you? yeah, well we dont want people feeling that again, so there are no clothing rules (as long as you are not wearing a stupid colour e.g, a yellow jumper when we are vsing hawthorn)

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Yep fair enough..I wasnt saying top to toe RW&B..but maybe a fine if you have NO saints gear on..yep we all know you are a fan if you sit in there,,but maybe it might dissuade the people who sneak in their non-Saints mates??

Actually come to think of it. maybe the fine system works in reverse at Hawthorn..cos all the money on God's green Earth wouldnt be enough to make me wear a tight-fitting yellow skivvy like the 40-something blokes in their CS do :roll: :shock:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

fonz_#15 wrote:be first to the footy
hard and tough
cos the cheer squad will boo
if you're not good enough
Cheers, I really appreciated a good laugh.

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

saintdooley wrote:
saint66au wrote:Yep...agree with Snoops..you guys looked great all in the caps on Sat urday...Fantastic idea by the CLub and Id make it mandantory for all games from now on

Just on that..can I make one other constructive suggestion? Ever thought of introducing a friendly "fine" system for not wearing a minumum amount of club colour on Match day?
yeah, i might talk about that at the AGM or something later on in the year...that we should all wear the red member caps for Melbourne Games. it does look very nice on tv i have to admit, just from watching hawks games on tv i think they all wear the same tops, from what ive seen the first 10 rows or about that behind the goals are wearing gold t-shirts and caps? looks fantastic...but alot of money involved to get that going, and thats something our cheer squad doesnt have!

i ive heard of that fine system before, and to me sounds like rubbish. i reckon if you are sitting in the cheer squad you are obviously supporting that team, because if you are not you would be acked to leave befroe u have time to blink, and i know every cheer squad makes sure of that. i think the fine part isnt needed, if you come wearing a normal black Addadis jumper with a saints scaff over the top let the person wear that...you cant fource someone to wear something they dont want to. remember when you were a kid and Mummy made you wear what she thought looked cute on you? yeah, well we dont want people feeling that again, so there are no clothing rules (as long as you are not wearing a stupid colour e.g, a yellow jumper when we are vsing hawthorn)
You are still missing the point, its not supposed to be some kind of totalitarian measure :roll:

It's still nothing compared to the arrogant, exclusive and elitist measures previously mentioned...

oh, and on what saint66au said, are you really that tactless and undiplomatic?

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Yep fair enough..I wasnt saying top to toe RW&B..but maybe a fine if you have NO saints gear on..yep we all know you are a fan if you sit in there,,but maybe it might dissuade the people who sneak in their non-Saints mates??

Actually come to think of it. maybe the fine system works in reverse at Hawthorn..cos all the money on God's green Earth wouldnt be enough to make me wear a tight-fitting yellow skivvy like the 40-something blokes in their CS do :roll: :shock:
the swans cheer squad do that. red shoes, red pants, and the players spray jacket. i can tell you right now, i would never, ever, ever, ever, ever do that!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

F*** me
i wear saints trackpants, a long sleeve saints training top, a long sleeve saints media top over that, then a black saints spray jacket and then a thin black saints training vest over that...plus a cap, and if its cold i whip the saints beanie out.

draw the line at shoes tho :?

avid
Club Player

I'm quite interested to hear the ups and downs of the cheer squad.
But can my banner suggestion get a little look-in here?

It's the cleverest thing I've ever come up with --

FOUR QUARTERS!
-- FOR HARVES --

Clearly it's use-by date is running out.

CORDZ
Club Player

BANNER IDEA

2 words:

HAWKS SHMAWKS

fingers
Saintsational Legend

How about

I hate Jeff Farmer and I'm glad he's gone.

Go Saints

...hey? come on....it's got a ring to it don't you think....? ;)

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:How about

I hate Jeff Farmer and I'm glad he's gone.

Go Saints

...hey? come on....it's got a ring to it don't you think....? ;)

LOL!

Young Georgie
Club Player

After all of this huffing and puffing I had to laugh when the Saints banner was raised - a little ordinary up against the gold leaf encrusted John 'Hollywood' Kennedy extravaganza wasn't it? :shock:

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!