Invasion ruined Saints' momentum in 2004 prelim, says Thomas

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I must say I didnt like it when guys ran out on the ground. yes there was a long time to go and we will never know if it cost a win but the one thing I know for sure is that IT DIDNT f****** WELL HELP.
Isn't that our problem, so mentally weak that we look to this as a MAJOR factor.

I agree it didn't help, I was there, it certainly slowed our momentum, but it was so early in the game there's every chance it would have happened anyway
we are weak as supporters if we continue to harp on about something that happened nearly 4 years ago

very weak
yep.

Imagine if we released a "streak" video cause we strung a few together...whats Geelongs now......37 from 39?...

glory days... :roll:
i chringed when i saw 'the streak'

its like the club with all these stupid catchphrasing-marketing-gimmick-wanky things

at times we are a club that is attempting to be professional but get it majorly wrong and look like try-hards because of

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Move on Grant - we have.
We have have we?
Why then do I see his name mentioned in every second thread?

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda Jumper $90
St Kilda scarf $25
Ticket to the Port Adelaide Final $40

Costing us a chance at winning a flag by invading the ground?

Priceless.

In the face of all the evidence - how can anyone with more than half a brain argue that it didn't hurt us?

I'm glad you had fun and I've no doubt the exercise helped in the battle against childhood obesity (that's the only mitigating factor not mentioned so far by the idiots that ran on to the ground) but anyone that thinks it didn't hurt our club is deluded.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

How do you stop a thousand people who WANT to run on the ground when a player kicks his 100th goal is the issue?

Do you employ 300 security guards for the night so they can all hold hands and form a human fence to stop them???

It's hard to compare 2004 to now, in 4 years things are a lot more sanitized now at the footy, and spectators are more compliant with new rules IMO.

Whether or not it was half Port fans that run out is irrelevant.....no doubt there were enough Saints fans out there to cause a huge problem on their own!

I also liked GT's point that traditions in footy are sometimes there to be broken...he also mentioned the centre bouncedown. I'd love to see that permanently replaced with the umps throwing the ball in the air instead.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:How do you stop a thousand people who WANT to run on the ground when a player kicks his 100th goal is the issue?
Easy.

Saints43
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:How do you stop a thousand people who WANT to run on the ground when a player kicks his 100th goal is the issue?
The AFL announce before the game that there will be 30 security guards at the game. If the supporters run onto the ground each security guard will apprehend one person. Each person grabbed by a security guard will get the standard $6000 fine.
Would you jump the fence?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
The AFL announce before the game that there will be 30 security guards at the game. If the supporters run onto the ground each security guard will apprehend one person. Each person grabbed by a security guard will get the standard $6000 fine.
Would you jump the fence?
Not if I was on L2 at the Dome!

It doesn't seem to stop people, as everyone assumes safety in numbers. I like Cowboys Segwey Stormtrooper concept.

Duggie1
Club Player

I will always maintain that it cost us the game. Why was Frazer ushered away?
It is not weakness to be distracted, especially by a horde of hoodlums :lol:

Always a Saint
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:St Kilda Jumper $90
St Kilda scarf $25

Priceless.

In the face of all the evidence - how can anyone with more than half a brain argue that it didn't hurt us?

I'm glad you had fun and I've no doubt the exercise helped in the battle against childhood obesity (that's the only mitigating factor not mentioned so far by the idiots that ran on to the ground) but anyone that thinks it didn't hurt our club is deluded.
that kind of quote really sums up the majority of our supporter base...what if's...nothing was ever in the 22 players control...nooooo never

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda scarf $25

Priceless.

that kind of quote really sums up the majority of our supporter base...what if's...nothing was ever in the 22 players control...nooooo never
That kind of comment really sums up our history - if you make a mistake ensure that you don't admit it and - whatever you do - never never learn from the mistake you made.

There's nothing in what was written that says that there weren't numerous chances for the team to win that night. What it says is that the idiots that ran onto the ground and had their jollies had an impact on our team and its performance.

And when you consider the margin you realise that this may have affected the result.

It's not that hard to comprehend is it?

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:
St Kilda scarf $25

Priceless.

That kind of comment really sums up our history - if you make a mistake ensure that you don't admit it and - whatever you do - never never learn from the mistake you made.

There's nothing in what was written that says that there weren't numerous chances for the team to win that night. What it says is that the idiots that ran onto the ground and had their jollies had an impact on our team and its performance.

And when you consider the margin you realise that this may have affected the result.

It's not that hard to comprehend is it?
our history is littered with bulls*** what if's like any club...

the issue is that any club bar freo moves on big time and even supporters dont talk about t as its history

Batnoe

GT said this!!

That means he cant coach!

So all the times before this game it wrecked the team with momentum?

No, it didnt!

If it really wrecked things port wouldnt have scored either, we should have and could have used it to spur us on.... GT didnt get our players heads right when he knew the 100 for Gehrig was coming up

what a cop