Kerr...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:

Yeah ok, you're not a hypocrite because you'd trade Kerr for pick 17. :roll:
Can you point out in any way, shape or form how my comments are hypocritical?

I criticised GT for drafting a player in Watts that we did not need....when there were clear structural deficiences on the list.

I was critical of him for paying way too high a price for Brooks (even if you assume he had made it, the price of two picks was too high for someone with virtually no track record).

I was not critical of the club for trading for Hamill with a low pick as it was good value trading.

PS A question for you since I have freely answered yours. Since you are bagging those in this string who have advocated going after Kerr...what is your view of the Saints going Watts and Brooks?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:

Can you point out in any way, shape or form how my comments are hypocritical?

I criticised GT for drafting a player in Watts that we did not need....when there were clear structural deficiences on the list.

I was critical of him for paying way too high a price for Brooks (even if you assume he had made it, the price of two picks was too high for someone with virtually no track record).

I was not critical of the club for trading for Hamill with a low pick as it was good value trading.

PS A question for you since I have freely answered yours. Since you are bagging those in this string who have advocated going after Kerr...what is your view of the Saints going Watts and Brooks?
You should be on the recruitment committee 100% correct on those but I suppose it is easier after they have played out their careers.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
You should be on the recruitment committee 100% correct on those but I suppose it is easier after they have played out their careers.
1/ History judges all. This is a forum which amongst other things provides a forum to discuss past trades. GT's record in this regard was post Waldron dismal.

If you can demonstrate that GT's trading record was actually good...then be kind enough to do so

2/ Hate to interupt your sarcasm but I criticised Watts trade at the time of his trading. It was always a bad deal, even before he got injured.

However even if I had not criticised it then...fact remains that the deals as a whole were poor.

Selection Committee I may not be on.....but then I am not paid half a million per year to get my calls correct.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

NO

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
At the minimum he'd command the equivalent of two top 10 picks and at least one top 5. Even then you'd probably be struggling to get the deal done.
Yet he's apparently "long in the tooth" at 24 and not worth the risk? :lol: which are you Arthur or Martha? IF the argument was about 30yr old Ben...Id be inclined to agree....

Drafting Kerr (and we wont be able to unfortunately) suggests nothing of the sort in terms of being hypocritical in terms of our list requiring changes - IF we were able to achieve it then it would become 1 of those positive changes.

In fact...what was Grants mantra......."must be at least able to become a 100 game player"???

At 24 Kerr could easily be a 100+ game player...and probably B&F winner along the way....but lets leave that out to make silly comments and once again go on a boorish attack on SR...so lame.

If drafting Kerr is "hypocrisy" - I'll take some... :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
Yes I reckon a good trade is one where you get value and do not pay over the odds...

JeffDunne wrote: At the minimum he'd command the equivalent of two top 10 picks and at least one top 5. Even then you'd probably be struggling to get the deal done.
But yet I according to you I am a hypocrite because I would, when you asked what I would trade him for, said pick 17???

What was that again you said about back-flips???

JeffDunne

saintsRrising wrote: PS A question for you since I have freely answered yours. Since you are bagging those in this string who have advocated going after Kerr...

I have?

Funny I tought I was bagging the hate-filled supporters who perform Olympic standard backflips on a daily basis.

what is your view of the Saints going Watts and Brooks?
I thought they were outstanding trades that helped set up the club for 10 years.

Why even bother asking the question?

I think it's pretty clear they were failures as trades but they made a lot more sense at them time than trading the farm for Kerr would now.

Why on earth would you trade for a player that will be 26 by this time next year if you think our list is in such dire strights? I mean to say he'd be well past his prime by the time we are challenging again and we'd be giving up the picks crucial to that rebuild.

Or have we backflipped on that position too?

No need for rebuilds now as we have the list to top-up and challenge next year?

I presume that's what you're saying?

That is until next week or our next loss. :roll:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
Or have we backflipped on that position too? :
JD...I have asked before that you actually show where and how I have backflipped.

You have failed to do so.

Making continued unsbtantiated comments such as this which is your habit lessens your credibility even further.

JeffDunne wrote: No need for rebuilds now as we have the list to top-up and challenge next year?

That is until next week or our next loss. :roll :
You presume yet again.

You really love making up rubbish don't you JD.

Once again...read the thread above...

I have said that if Kerr swaps Clubs I think it will be the Blues (StKilda is not called the Blues).

I have not advocated trading for him BUT answered YOUR question as to what IF he was traded would I would trade him for (which is not advocating that we go after him)... which was for far less than the 3 pick price you then posted.

You seem to have no ability to grasp the pretty simple concept that I, or another, can discuss and issue without necessarily advocating a position either way.

JeffDunne

saintsRrising wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:
Or have we backflipped on that position too? :
JD...I have asked before that you actually show where and how I have backflipped.

You have failed to do so.
I don't need to.

Anyhow, I probably should have left the word "too" out of that question because it simply gave you an opportunity of yet again avoiding the point and the question and getting into a debate on semantics.

TBH, I really give a continental about your views in hindsight on trades. I'm not sure why you bit on my original comment if you didn't think it applied to you.
Making continued unsbtantiated comments such as this which is your habit lessens your credibility even further.
Comments like that are water off a duck''s back.

Don't reply to my comments if you don't care about my opinion and don't bother asking questions. Pretty simple concept I'd have thought. Even more so when I'm not quoting or replying to you specifically.

Since you do the opposite I'd suggest you care a little too much about my opinion and whether I have 'credibility'.
JeffDunne wrote: No need for rebuilds now as we have the list to top-up and challenge next year?

That is until next week or our next loss. :roll :
You presume yet again.
Do you or do you not think the list has been mis-managed, Lyon's performance is a reflection of a list in decline and not his coaching and we are in need of a rebuild?

If that's not your opinion then you've wasted thousands of posts doing a pretty good impersonation of someone who holds that vew.

If that is your opinion and are entertaining the thought of trading for Kerr then I think you have some never questioning anyone's trading history. And don't give me this pick 17 BS, that's living with the pixies and not a serious suggestion.

If you don't want him, just say so without the BS hypotheticals.
You really love making up rubbish don't you JD.
Not really.
Once again...read the thread above...

I have said that if Kerr swaps Clubs I think it will be the Blues (StKilda is not called the Blues).
So . . . relevance?
I have not advocated trading for him BUT answered YOUR question as to what IF he was traded would I would trade him for (which is not advocating that we go after him)... which was for far less than the 3 pick price you then posted.
So you don't want to trade for him?

Fine, then why respond to my initial posts in this thread when I clearly couldn't have been talking about you.

Right? :?
You seem to have no ability to grasp the pretty simple concept that I, or another, can discuss and issue without necessarily advocating a position either way.
LOL

You'll adopt whatever position allows you to bring the topic back to the previous coach.

TBH, I'm staggered anyone that thinks the list is in decline would even contemplate trading for Kerr.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

too expensive

hold onto your draft picks and if we want to chase someone make it someone cheap (like cousins).

Last draft before the lovechild comes in and steals all the talent. We need to draft well. Hell I wouldn't be unhappy if we traded off some older talent for some draft picks. Most clubs would have this view.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
TBH, I'm staggered anyone that thinks the list is in decline would even contemplate trading for Kerr.
Once again you incorrectly post what I have written, and what my thoughts are.

Yes the list was in decline at the end of 2006.

Fortunately since then a dramatic change has occurred and the list is being managed well now.

However the damage caused could not be overcome in a single draft period.

We now have a good batch of kids and rookies coming through and are being developed. Such players at AFL clubs though cannot be expected to overnight successes excpt for a few rare soles.

Players such as Ben, Armo, Steven, Geary, eddy etc will play many games for St Kilda.

The Saints however are not in a vaccum and clubs such as the Hawks, Cats, Dogs, Swans, Lions and Pies are all doing good jobs on improving or sustaining their lists.

So you need to improve...just to tread water.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

I would have thought that if your list is in decline, you'd look at Kerr. Instant boost of experience and mature body.

With Harves retiring and Lenny getting oldr? Why wouldn't you examine the possibility?

Draft picks can go either way. Think...

Fiora
Beetham
Watts
Brooks
Arnol

Then...

Fisher
Hird

Have far should I go back?

Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
. Instant boost of experience and mature body.

With Harves retiring and Lenny getting oldr? Why wouldn't you examine the possibility?.
I think the coaching staff and recruitingwould examine the possibilty (asuming that is that Keer becomes avaialble)...along with many other possibilities.

Lyon in his two years at the club has shown that he is willing to trade for senior players.

With all the possibilities trade offs in terms of aquistion "cost" will have to be looked at....as well as salary cap issues etc that the Football Manager would have to weisgh up.

So far Lyon's "purchases" have all been well in St Kilda's favour.
The jury is still out on Schneider, but Demspter is playing slid football and so with both gained for pick 26 only really one has to make it to make ita worthwhile deal.

Someone like Kerr would most likely have many suitors pushing his cost up.

On the other hand us you say ALL draftees futures are uncetain.

The average AFL players only plays for a few years..and a number of first rounders are flops. So the line of drafting a player for 10 years holds little validity.

Someone such as Kerr would still most likely play many more games than many first or second round draft selections., and thgose game will be most likely ata known high quality.

However you would expect his aqusition price to be similar to Judd's...and it would be difficult to see how St Kilda could accomodate that given that we will not finish low enough to achieve a low draft pick and this may trade for it.

Saint Mik
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:yep I suggested a first round draft pick.

Kerr is a top 20 player in teh competition.
:shock: Have you been hanging out with Benny Dan, had a change of heart have we, thinking of the wins before the culture for a change

Very refreshing indeed Dan :lol:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010