Gotta Feel Sorry For Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:Who felt sorry for Bomber Thompson all those years... losing, losing, losing. Or Clarkson?

Impatient supporters, expecting instant success post coach sackings... over and over again the story goes. They give it 6 months then throw a tantrum and do what ever they can to undermine the latest coach.
Just suppose RL turns the lads around and we play off in the GF next year... all those anti RL will become his best friend.

Healing takes time... but wont ever eventuate, if you keep picking the scab off... so my mum used to tell me.
Thats a fantastic post.

“Yeah….nah””
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
aussierules0k wrote:Who felt sorry for Bomber Thompson all those years... losing, losing, losing. Or Clarkson?

Impatient supporters, expecting instant success post coach sackings... over and over again the story goes. They give it 6 months then throw a tantrum and do what ever they can to undermine the latest coach.
Just suppose RL turns the lads around and we play off in the GF next year... all those anti RL will become his best friend.

Healing takes time... but wont ever eventuate, if you keep picking the scab off... so my mum used to tell me.
Thats a fantastic post.
Very good because it's so true

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote: i like ross,! he is good for our team
I simply don't know what to say to that.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

why feel sorry for him??? this is his job and he would have known and understood the possibilities involved

this is what he wants to do...it was his choice to ecome an afl coach and noone elses

hopefully he will relish the challenging situation ahead and become a much better coach for it

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Ross Lyon has taught me something. Rookie coach + list that can play isn't going to work unless the coach and list's styles mesh.

Post 2k6, I would have thought our skillsets would let us play any gamestyle someone could come up with.

F&%$ was I wrong.

Most coaching changes are made at a time that lets the coach learn with the players. Nobody expected the ex-coach to last very long... but he got to learn the lessons Ross is still learning when the list was bad enough it didn't matter. Clarkson's rabble at Hawthorn taught him what he's needed to know now they're up and firing. Thompson learned the hard way at the Cats too...

Quite simply, hiring an inexperienced coach from where we were at was a stupid move - but that's with the benefit of hindsight.

The question is, do we believe Lyon can learn what he needs to to get this team firing? How long do we believe it will take? Or are we better off going for one of the experienced coaches available?

Honestly, if the reason for not firing the man is that we're scared of being laughed at, then we deserve to be laughed at.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
NoMore
Club Player

All i have to say is that about 5 weeks ago i said that at about this time of the year RL would change his tune

No longer is our best football still in front of us. And now we are not good enough.

Ross you are a moron. Make up your mind

We have gone from top 4 to rebuilding in 11 weeks.

Hopefully we will be at sacked coach by the end of the year.

And to those who say we would be a laughing stock. Do you speak to other supporters. We are a laughing stock right now.

I will never feel sorry for that Boring piece of crap. I feel sorry for the player, the fans who have supported them their whole life and most of all the kids who are born into St Kilda families.

I am a saints member and have been for my whole life. I got lifted into the grandstand at moorabbin so i could see when i was 4. I stood and Kardinia Park and Western oval. And i went Waverley when it hailed.

But i can no longer watch. Finally i have my weekends back.

Ross Lyon u will kill this club

congorozides
Club Player

Winmar7Fan wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Thats a fantastic post.

Very good because it's so true
Clarkson had a list of babies when he was losing. Geelong had 1 bad year and were still pretty young when they had.

Saints have a mature list and 2 stinky years.

and he wont turn it around next year. Hawks and Dogs and Pies are younger than us already and will get better.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

6 months???
where did u get 6 months from??

spert
Saintsational Legend

Ratten & Lyon

Ratten & Lyon..both assistant coaches previously, now senior coaches. I find it sad to see Carlton playing with more enthusiasm and determination than us, with good results. If I listen to Ratten talk, it's pretty upbeat and positive, yet Lyon exudes absolutely no positivity or enthusiasm..maybe this is reflected in how we play. On another note, I also was impressed with coach Greg Hutchison's attitude at Casey Scorps the other day..his address to the team at the break after losing the first quarter, was totally positive and constructive and the team seemed to respond to him.

Saints43
Club Player

Re: Ratten & Lyon

spert wrote:Lyon exudes absolutely no positivity or enthusiasm..
Chauncey Gardiner

spert
Saintsational Legend

er..yeah..sort of

AP Erebus
Club Player

Doers anyone seriously believe that sacking RL and bringing in a new coach will deliver a Cup in < 2 years?

Really?

Yes, RL might not be the worlds greatest coach, but he has been there < 2 years. Give a bloke a chance ffs.

The list is shot, it's shot so far it's ridiculous. It's not RL's exclusive fault and it's not GT's exclusive fault, it's both their faults. It's also the players, who seem to not be able to execute even the most basic skills.

This reaction is so typical of St Kilda and the reason why everyone loves to stick the boot in, because we self destruct better than anyone, save Richmond.

The only way this club will work through this is with a bit of faith, and a bit of patience.

There is some good kids and the core group is still relatively young so people just need to the calm down a little bit.

congorozides
Club Player

AP Erebus wrote:Doers anyone seriously believe that sacking RL and bringing in a new coach will deliver a Cup in < 2 years?

Really?

Yes, RL might not be the worlds greatest coach, but he has been there < 2 years. Give a bloke a chance ffs.

The list is shot, it's shot so far it's ridiculous. It's not RL's exclusive fault and it's not GT's exclusive fault, it's both their faults. It's also the players, who seem to not be able to execute even the most basic skills.

This reaction is so typical of St Kilda and the reason why everyone loves to stick the boot in, because we self destruct better than anyone, save Richmond.

The only way this club will work through this is with a bit of faith, and a bit of patience.

There is some good kids and the core group is still relatively young so people just need to the calm down a little bit.

kind of agree with all that. but footy clubs trade in hope. and if RL cannot deliver that commodity then sometimes its worth a change of coach just for the sake of it.

our list is tripe through years of neglect in developing youngsters - not RL's fault - but it has taken him 2 years for the penny to drop on this.

and he sold himself to the job as the "next step finals fooyt guy" - so he was quite misleading there.

therefore - footy clubs are in the hope business - and this guy is crap at selling it. he couldnt sell hope to a teenage boy in girls dorm.

and i dont think "not wanting to look like richmsond" is a valid reason not to change coach. u need to deal with the facts at hand. is he the best guy out there? can we get somone better? can we deliver more hope through someone else?

if no then keep him. but dont make a decision based on some external perception thingy.

NoMore
Club Player

Lets be honest with Ross' personality he couldn't sell food to an African let alone sell hope to our eternally optimistic supporters

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

AP Erebus wrote:Doers anyone seriously believe that sacking RL and bringing in a new coach will deliver a Cup in < 2 years?

Really?

Can't say I expect to see the Saints hoisting the cup in the next couple of years regardless of decisions around coaching. I'm fast coming to believe that the chances are much higher of them doing so with a different coach in the mix.

In response to the thread title, yes, I do feel sorry for Ross Lyon. He came in from a place where mature and professional players took responsibility to coach a talented group of youngsters and hasn't been given what he'd have expected by his players.

As much as the players have thrown him under the bus, in my view, that's the nature of the coaching beast sometimes - he's under the bus, let's not prolong the agony. Not only has the brief he was hired with turned out to be unrealistic, there's no on field reason to get excited about... while I'd give him till end of year (no need to throw away the slight chance they'll turn it around), my expectation is that the Saints won't do anything to signify that we've got a coach we're willing to play for (and honestly, that "till the end of the year" gets harder and harder). I feel sorry for him because I get the feeling that had Lyon succeeded Roos at the Swans, he might have been very successful, but he's only slightly more likely to get employed in a head coaching capacity than Timmy Watson after the showing here.

I just don't get the "give the bloke a chance" argument... we're halfway through year 2. We've had 34 games of Ross Lyon football, and the sum seems to be that every players is worse than they were 34 games ago. Therefore he's not a positive influence. Surely it stands to reason that 34 games of positively influenced football would make every player better.

Barring a big improvement in the next 12 rounds, the thought of another year of the football we've seen from the 2007 and 2008 Saints is painful to contemplate...

Has nothing to do with wanting to stick the boot in, I could care less about Richmond, but at the rate we're going, another 34 rounds of reversion and our players won't be able to tie their bootlaces anymore.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
ctqs
Club Player

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:Ross Lyon has taught me something. Rookie coach + list that can play isn't going to work unless the coach and list's styles mesh.

Post 2k6, I would have thought our skillsets would let us play any gamestyle someone could come up with.

F&%$ was I wrong.

Most coaching changes are made at a time that lets the coach learn with the players. Nobody expected the ex-coach to last very long... but he got to learn the lessons Ross is still learning when the list was bad enough it didn't matter. Clarkson's rabble at Hawthorn taught him what he's needed to know now they're up and firing. Thompson learned the hard way at the Cats too...

Quite simply, hiring an inexperienced coach from where we were at was a stupid move - but that's with the benefit of hindsight.

The question is, do we believe Lyon can learn what he needs to to get this team firing? How long do we believe it will take? Or are we better off going for one of the experienced coaches available?

Honestly, if the reason for not firing the man is that we're scared of being laughed at, then we deserve to be laughed at.
That is the best post on the topic!

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
bob__71
Club Player

Really?

You seem to think that we havent imploded yet this time around?