Ross Lyon should coach Saints for 10 years - Westaway

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
degruch wrote:How can sacking the coach be for the betterment of the club?
Sheldon, Alves, Thompson...it doesn't work mate. I'm sticking by the club with this one...the current coach stays, as does my support. When we're on the bottom, Roo is playing for GC, Ben Cousins is captaining the team, Sheedy is installed as coach, we're playing all our rookies and Kosi has been traded to Carlton, then you can bookmark this post. Until then, victory on Sunday or not, the coach stays until the problem is at least identified.

Fairweather? Maybe that's a tough call...sorry...too reactionary perhaps? I see too many people who swear they bleed for the team, go every week, but if their team's 5 goals down a 3/4 time, they're off to the carpark quicker than Giesham can produce a lame excuse. I don't go every week, but I'll sure as hell stick out until everyone knows for sure the coach has to go.

GrumpyOne

degruch wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
Sheldon, Alves, Thompson...it doesn't work mate. I'm sticking by the club with this one...the current coach stays, as does my support. When we're on the bottom, Roo is playing for GC, Ben Cousins is captaining the team, Sheedy is installed as coach, we're playing all our rookies and Kosi has been traded to Carlton, then you can bookmark this post. Until then, victory on Sunday or not, the coach stays until the problem is at least identified.

Fairweather? Maybe that's a tough call...sorry...too reactionary perhaps? I see too many people who swear they bleed for the team, go every week, but if their team's 5 goals down a 3/4 time, they're off to the carpark quicker than Giesham can produce a lame excuse. I don't go every week, but I'll sure as hell stick out until everyone knows for sure the coach has to go.
Spot on mate.

And I'll keep calling Firey and Jeff fairweather supporters as long as their posts reveal that to be a reasonable deduction.

I'm sure that some people only barrack for footy clubs just so they can whinge on a footy forum about everything to do with the club whilst pretending that they know better than anybody else. :roll:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

Thanks for the apology and the attached barb.
In my mind I have already identified the problem, therefore I make my comments and I'm not the only one.
Lyons will have to make some miraculous turn arounds before I change my view but I can't see it happening.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
Spot on mate.

And I'll keep calling Firey and Jeff fairweather supporters as long as their posts reveal that to be a reasonable deduction.

I'm sure that some people only barrack for footy clubs just so they can whinge on a footy forum about everything to do with the club whilst pretending that they know better than anybody else. :roll:
If you honestly believe that then I was right about you and will no longer be bothered to converse with you.
Degruch on the other hand is capable of reasonable debate.

GrumpyOne

JeffDunne wrote:You're a fair weather supporter if you criticise the coach?

Sorry LumpyOne, that is more simplistic and reactionary than the behaviour you are lamenting.
If it just was criticism it would be OK. None of us are beyond that.

Maybe with the possible exception of me of course as I am never wrong, just misinformed on rare occasions.

But calling for his sacking when he is barely half way into his term goes beyond that.

Does mangling my nick give me the right to return the complement, JeffDunny?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

sheeeeesh
dont have an opinion..it might differ from someone elses ffs

i seriously doubt he will take us to a flag.
i dont think he should be there
yeah i want him gone
but i wouldnt do it now
stick it out to at least the end of 08 then have a look, but...
he'll be here next year

i bet ya.
ill put $100 on it now that he will be at the helm next year and see out his current contract.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Thanks for the apology and the attached barb.
In my mind I have already identified the problem, therefore I make my comments and I'm not the only one.
Lyons will have to make some miraculous turn arounds before I change my view but I can't see it happening.
Hey no probs.

I know you and Jeff think its all gone to crap and Mr Personality is to blame, I'm just happy the club doesn't see it that way currently...probably because Burkey and Thommo would have seen how devastating and counter-productive sacking a coach early (mid-season or not) can be. And frankly, we're travelling better now than we were last year (as we should with so many home games), so a 'miraculous' turn-around as per 2007 is quite feasible.

GrumpyOne

The Fireman wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Spot on mate.

If you honestly believe that then I was right about you and will no longer be bothered to converse with you.
Degruch on the other hand is capable of reasonable debate.
I admire a man with more tolerance to simpletons than I have.

Buckets
SS Life Member

matrixcutter wrote:sheeeeesh
dont have an opinion..it might differ from someone elses ffs

i seriously doubt he will take us to a flag.
i dont think he should be there
yeah i want him gone
but i wouldnt do it now
stick it out to at least the end of 08 then have a look, but...
he'll be here next year

i bet ya.
ill put $100 on it now that he will be at the helm next year and see out his current contract
And unfortunately if that is the case and we continue going in the same direction then you can look forward to seeing the Saints either play on the GC or in West Sydney because we will be screwed if Lyon cannot change things around and quickly!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
matrix
Saintsational Legend

:(
i just dont think after the blight and thomas debarcles the club/board will sack someone else and go thru all that crap again.
and buckets could very well be right.
could spell d.o.o.m.

or he/we could turn it around and start blasting teams off the park
or
we'll just stay mediocre and finish between 8th and 10th for the next ten years.

either or, its going to be interesting going forward 8-)

SainterX
Club Player

Off to the TAB then to find the first sacked coach market. How many times before have club presidents guaranteed a coaches job then given him the boot weeks later?
The fact Westaway even felt the need to say that suggests he and Lyon are both feeling the heat from outside the club, if they were both so sure in their abilities nothing would have been said and they would have let the coaches actions speak louder than words.
Are they trying to convince us or themselves that Ross is the right man?

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

What a incompetant ridiculous thing to say. GW should know better and just kept his mouth shut!

Gilbert=Legend

S@#$!!!!!

NoMore
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:What a incompetant ridiculous thing to say. GW should know better and just kept his mouth shut!
Finally someone says something that is spot on

He made himself and the club look undecided and foolish

Buckets
SS Life Member

NoMore wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:What a incompetant ridiculous thing to say. GW should know better and just kept his mouth shut!
Finally someone says something that is spot on

He made himself and the club look undecided and foolish
So very true!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

so i guess this means, StKilda Premiers 2019?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Buckets
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote:so i guess this means, StKilda Premiers 2019?
Nah West Sydney Saints Premiers 2019! :wink:

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Good on you GW, a bit of public support never hurts anyone. Circumstances can change and so can personal views but for the time being, as a supporter, I pleased to see a public show of support.

I just wish Roo had said just as emphatically that he's staying at the Saints for his career (even if he didn't really mean it).

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:Good on you GW, a bit of public support never hurts anyone. Circumstances can change and so can personal views but for the time being, as a supporter, I pleased to see a public show of support.

I just wish Roo had said just as emphatically that he's staying at the Saints for his career (even if he didn't really mean it).
if Ross is staying the next 10 years, i wouldn't be planning on sticking around thru that either......

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Roo will stay, so will ross which is good news. why sack a coach then ya have to start all over again

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I agree with Westaway that Lyon has to be given time,we are further away than anyone cared to admit so Lyon will have to rebuild the list his way.I've waited 42 years,whats another 10 gonna hurt.........

Richmond and Carlton will probably both win a flag before we do....

:roll:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

10 years - lol.

What a president.

What a flaming joke. But hey you people want your one big scalp to be sacrificed t the St.Kilda alter per year.

Got one in 2006. Got one in 2007, now after another in 2008.

Sack the coach, sack the President, and the sack the coach again. Look out Westaway, the usual sack happy's will be after you in 2009 going on form :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

cabbage

:lol: :lol:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:cabbage

:lol: :lol:
reported :wink: :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Behind Play
Club Player

I haven't heard Ross saying he wants to be there for 10 years. He may want out after his contract is up.