Sack Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

8th place may even cover some sins over the season. Almost better off finshing outside the 8, nothing good will come from 8th

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:8th place may even cover some sins over the season. Almost better off finshing outside the 8, nothing good will come from 8th
I agree.

Ask Geelong and Joel Sellwood about what its like to finish outside 8th in a shyte year...(not that we are at this stage yet).

“Yeah….nah””
Shaggy
Club Player

I don't expect to see a premiership each year and it doesn't worry me if we don't. Any Saints supporter who feels differently should not barrack for the Saints :D .

The only years I feel disappointed is if I don't see improvement or I see us going backwards. Then I know the premiership is merely a dream.

A one year quirk for circumstances I can understand (i.e. injuries, change in game plan) I can put up with going backwards.

This year we must make the eight. To make me reasonably happy we should make the prelim. Then at least I know RL is making headway towards the ultimate goal.

Success to me is about making improvement each year not about winning premierships. If we are always successful about improvement we will ultimately win many flags :) .

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

iwantmeseats wrote:8th place may even cover some sins over the season. Almost better off finshing outside the 8, nothing good will come from 8th
That sounds to me like the acceptance of mediocrity it's meant to sound like the opposite of.

"We're not a shoe in/favorourite, so pack it in and might as well finish last and get a high draft pick."

8th isn't a great season, but it's better than 9th. Look at the Saints list and see the guarentee that draft picks get you. Winning is a state of mind.

Success or otherwise is defined by how the team plays in finals and whether they give me a chance to believe. Winning a grand final is the pinnacle - but not the only thing that defines (to me) a successful season.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:I don't expect to see a premiership each year and it doesn't worry me if we don't. Any Saints supporter who feels differently should not barrack for the Saints :D .

The only years I feel disappointed is if I don't see improvement or I see us going backwards. Then I know the premiership is merely a dream.

A one year quirk for circumstances I can understand (i.e. injuries, change in game plan) I can put up with going backwards.

This year we must make the eight. To make me reasonably happy we should make the prelim. Then at least I know RL is making headway towards the ultimate goal.

Success to me is about making improvement each year not about winning premierships. If we are always successful about improvement we will ultimately win many flags :) .
I agree Shaggy...it all depends on your definition of moving forward.....

Geelong in 06 had many asking was the window closed?

I dont think we "have to make the 8" in any respect as 8th spot is a no win for us IMHO.

If you aint top 4 you aint in it - that simple

“Yeah….nah””
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote:
I agree.

Ask Geelong and Joel Sellwood about what its like to finish outside 8th in a shyte year...(not that we are at this stage yet).
You think Joel Selwood was the defining difference between the '06 and '07 cats? If we'd had Selwood and they'd had Armitage, they'd still have won the premiership.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Teflon wrote:
I agree.

You think Joel Selwood was the defining difference between the '06 and '07 cats? If we'd had Selwood and they'd had Armitage, they'd still have won the premiership.
Thats simplistic. You know the answer but lets look at it anyway.

Joel Sellwod may not be the difference between a flag and not (hes an extaordinary good footballer and 3x Armitage lets be clear about that) AND Ive seen games this season where he WAS the difference in clearance out of the middle for the Cats - hes been awesome.

What they now have is a raedy made GUN direct into their midfield to ensure a Ling can stay focussing on tagging and also ensuring that an outside mid like Kelly gets plenty of ball cause they have now picked up a gun mid who WINS the tough ball and makes good decisions. Hes also a player that an opposition side now has to tag along with Bartel, Corey, Ablett et al...he makes stopping Geelong THAT much harder.

Its a fair payout for Geelong finishing what 10th?

I take your emotive "lets finish 8th and build on it" and never give in one for the "Gippa" attitude, I understand your "reverse" acceptance of mediocrity youd accuse me of. I dont agree at all.

Sadly - and I stress ONLY if it come down to this choice - this competition right now does not reward you for finishing 8th (yeah I know finals experience blah blah ....I think this teams core has a fair amount of that now...) - thats a fact. If this side - who I believe has at a minimum a core good enough to win a flag (Im not sure we have the quality of depth to support this core) could snag a Sellwod by not finishing 8th...I am not ashamed to say id do it. No it doesnt gurantee a flag - neither does finishing 8th - but it gives me access to a top liner that goes into making my line up that much stronger the next year.

“Yeah….nah””