the umpiring

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
st.byron wrote:
Sainterman wrote: Can you please highlight where the umpiring has been named as the cause of the loss? Can you point out where posters have singled this out, or where they have said that if not for the umpiring we would have won?

We had our chances last night, didnt take them, and coud have won the game. We made errors, dropped off for periods of the game and didnt kick goals we should have. AND...the umpiring didnt help.
Ah, so you want a bit each way. Yes you make concessions that we played poorly, but you couldn't resist tagging on the end that the umpiring was also partly responsible. Right there Sainterman is an example of someone i.e you, blaming the umpires. Forget this sh*t about the umpiring, we just weren't bloody good enough. End of story.
St Byron,
I'm at a loss to understand why you posted what you did about blaming the Umpires.
I have just reread all 64 posts on this thread and apart from the op by Saints Premiers 2008, no other post has directly blamed the Umpires for our loss last night, if you discount MatrixCutters sarcastic post and Plugger66's baiting asrcastic posts.

The overall vast majority of the posts in this thread centre on 2 or 3 specific decisions and the varying opinions on whether they were legitimate or not. Virtually everybody has gone out of their way not to blame the loss on the Umpires.
Are we no longer allowed to question individual decisions without copping a spray for being 'one-eyed' in our view of the game?

You do all the populist things MM but in the end it gets down to they pick on us. Every post of yours is the same. I gather you are my age. How do you live like this thinking they have picked on us since 1966. How unlucky are we that it has happened for 42 years.
LOL This has to be the absolute best example of Pot calling the kettke black I've seen on here. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ever thought of running away and joining a circus, since you have this unbelievable talent of being able to read other people's minds?

YOu know, your little tricks won't work on me Plugger. No matter how many times you post the lie, it doesn't make it true.
But keep going if it amuses you.
I'm glad I can bring you some enjoyment.
Why dont you bring up you posts and read them. they are all the same. the world is against u, the AFL is against us, the umpires are against us, the ball bounced the wrong way. I can see my previous posts how come you cant see yours.

my les foote
Club Player

The Fisher free kick, IIRC was paid to Medhurst.

Have a look at Medhurst's tackle. Two arms around his neck, over his shoulder, across his face. Yes Fisher dragged it in but you still have to lay a proper tackle.

If you are going to pay a free for holding the ball, it has to be a legitimate tackle.

The decision that cost us most, was when Brown was reported for hitting Luke Ball. The umpire was so excited by the report, he forgot that it was after Ball had handpassed to Steven King.

King was 45m out directly in front and is a very good set shot. No bring it back to Luke Ball who can't kick over a jam tin, 50m out on an angle.

And the Dane Swan free kick for holding the man. Swan takes a mark and plays on immediately, he gets tackled by L. Fisher. He handballs. Fisher let's him go. Holding the man?

And the Lockyer free kick against Goddard. BJ was minding his own business when the filth just dragged him to the ground. Did he kick a goal from that?. A long flight and three bourbons have dulled my memory.

The free against Max, will get paid every time even if the rock ape was hatching it.

Win it for HIM!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
st.byron wrote:
Sainterman wrote: Can you please highlight where the umpiring has been named as the cause of the loss? Can you point out where posters have singled this out, or where they have said that if not for the umpiring we would have won?

We had our chances last night, didnt take them, and coud have won the game. We made errors, dropped off for periods of the game and didnt kick goals we should have. AND...the umpiring didnt help.
Ah, so you want a bit each way. Yes you make concessions that we played poorly, but you couldn't resist tagging on the end that the umpiring was also partly responsible. Right there Sainterman is an example of someone i.e you, blaming the umpires. Forget this sh*t about the umpiring, we just weren't bloody good enough. End of story.
St Byron,
I'm at a loss to understand why you posted what you did about blaming the Umpires.
I have just reread all 64 posts on this thread and apart from the op by Saints Premiers 2008, no other post has directly blamed the Umpires for our loss last night, if you discount MatrixCutters sarcastic post and Plugger66's baiting asrcastic posts.

The overall vast majority of the posts in this thread centre on 2 or 3 specific decisions and the varying opinions on whether they were legitimate or not. Virtually everybody has gone out of their way not to blame the loss on the Umpires.
Are we no longer allowed to question individual decisions without copping a spray for being 'one-eyed' in our view of the game?

You do all the populist things MM but in the end it gets down to they pick on us. Every post of yours is the same. I gather you are my age. How do you live like this thinking they have picked on us since 1966. How unlucky are we that it has happened for 42 years.
LOL This has to be the absolute best example of Pot calling the kettke black I've seen on here. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ever thought of running away and joining a circus, since you have this unbelievable talent of being able to read other people's minds?

YOu know, your little tricks won't work on me Plugger. No matter how many times you post the lie, it doesn't make it true.
Why dont you bring up you posts and read them. they are all the same. the world is against u, the AFL is against us, the umpires are against us, the ball bounced the wrong way. I can see my previous posts how come you cant see yours.
I already asked that you quote one of my posts in the last 48 hours that you felt was in this vein 2 or 3 hours ago, but again you chose to avoid the question and disappear off the Board, maybe lurking in the background, scouring over the threads looking for a 'damagng post'.

So how many times are you going to avoid the challenge and post this 'lie'?

As I've said before, your tactic of repeatedly posting misinformation doesn't make it any more truthful - it just makes yuou look more sad in your pathetic attempts to portray other posters as something they are not.

But by all means, keep going. I'm happy to oblige you with returns of serve as long as the Mods allow you to corrupt the thread.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
st.byron wrote:

St Byron,

I already asked that you quote one of my posts in the last 48 hours that you felt was in this vein 2 or 3 hours ago, but again you chose to avoid the question and disappear off the Board, maybe lurking in the background, scouring over the threads looking for a 'damagng post'.

So how many times are you going to avoid the challenge and post this 'lie'?

As I've said before, your tactic of repeatedly posting misinformation doesn't make it any more truthful - it just makes yuou look more sad in your pathetic attempts to portray other posters as something they are not.

But by all means, keep going. I'm happy to oblige you with returns of serve as long as the Mods allow you to corrupt the thread.
As I said nearly every post of yours blames everyone but the players. I dont need to quote it as you wrote it. If you cant remember just have a look.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Plugger, still trotting out the lie without any proof I see.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

can someone please paraphrase this thread for me, i can't be bothered reading it all...

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:can someone please paraphrase this thread for me, i can't be bothered reading it all...
The main line is the world is and has always been against us.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:can someone please paraphrase this thread for me, i can't be bothered reading it all...
SaintsPremiers2008 posted that he thought the Umpires 'killed us last night'
A number of posters debated whether the free kick awarded against Fisher was correct or not (including you!)
A number of posters masde reference to other decisions - Kosi's mark, Hudghton's free against.
Plugger decided I was 'blaming the umpires again' and took a cheap shot.
I returned fire and asked for proof.
He went on 'holiday' for a couple of hours
St Byroon came on and had a shot at everyone blaming the umpires
A few posters (including me) tried to explain that it wasn't so
Plugger came back and posted the same bs
So far no proof forthcoming.

How's that? :)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
A number of posters debated whether the free kick awarded against Fisher was correct or not (including you!)
A number of posters masde reference to other decisions - Kosi's mark, Hudghton's free against.

I think what MM is saying is The Dud, St Byron and myself are the only ones who watch games though 2 eyes. Well that is how I read it anyway.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

thanks MM :)

yeah the umpires make mistakes (like the Maxy one) but the ones that directly hurt us (Fisher's and Goddard's) were both there, even if they were as soft as butter

the thing that annoys me the most is the fact that Fisher and Goddard should never have given the umpire any excuse to pay a free against them, eg. Fisher should have never dragged it in, and Goddard should never have put his arms around Lochyear even for a second

so thats why i reckon its more the players fault then the umps, we played good enough footy to win the game, it was only our own stupidity (and lets face it, some absolutely ridiculous goal kicking by Collingwood) that lost it for us

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:thanks MM :)

so thats why i reckon its more the players fault then the umps, we played good enough footy to win the game, it was only our own stupidity (and lets face it, some absolutely ridiculous goal kicking by Collingwood) that lost it for us
I don't disagree with you Dud.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

I am going to archive this.

Sainterman
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

I am going to archive this.
The stupid thing about this thread is that no-one is solely blaming the umpiring as the root cause of the loss. Where this theory came from is beyond me. Dud and Plugger, read the thread!!! People are saying they didnt like a few of the decisions, not that those decisions were the only factor to bring about the loss. Its like circle work in this thread.

Or is it that some like the argument aspect of the thread so much they just keep banging on about it without too much thought?

I think MM and myself both agree the players, for various reasons, are responsible for the loss...and, at the same time, I think the umpiring was crap! Is that ok??

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

yeah, the umpiring was crap, but the point is, if Goddard had've never put his arm around Lockyear, the ump would have never paid the soft free kick

stupidity on Goddards part

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:
St Byron, you have lost me. Not sure what I am sidestepping. I have said I think a number of factors were to blame. And YES, I do think the 5 or 6 bad decisions impacted on the game. I also think there were some other problems, such as poor finishing, lack of polish, and some poor blocks of time that we seem to have every week where opposition sidfes damage us. Happy to be quite categorical on the umpiring point last night as I thought it was very poor. Or am I unable to have this opinion without it being attributed as the one factor of blame for our loss. Are you reading what I am writing??

As for being sanctimonious and superior, that is not the intention. I read Saintsational every day, on and off season, post occasionally, have been a member since about 2000 and enjoy the site when it has threads that alow all to express opinions. There is not safety in numbers other than the fact that it means others share your opinion, but even if they didnt I would still have my opinion, and unless convinced otherwise, stick to it.
Not questioning your right to express your opinion S.Man. If you think the 5 or 6 decisions that you're referring to impacted on the game, you're probably right. But were they all decisions that went against us? If so, then there are probably a bunch of decisions that filth fans could point to that went against them. My point is that we just weren't good enough, bugger the impact of the umpires, which generally evens out over a game.
Take your point about your intention, I'm not above being sanctimonious myself. Just felt frustrated that people were pointing the finger at the umps rather than at our own inadequacies. The umps are human and make mistakes just like the players. They're under huge scrutiny and as Joffaboy has posted in another thread today, they're acting under the instruction of the bloody AFL who are sanitising the game beyond recognition. I get my back up when people spray the umps because it's a bloody hard job, they're scrutinised by slo-mo's from multiple angles, people love to bash them and blame them for their team's poor performances and they're umpiring to rules that are rapidly changing and sanitising the game.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

I think what MM is saying is The Dud, St Byron and myself are the only ones who watch games though 2 eyes. Well that is how I read it anyway.
yep that pretty much sums where I was coming from Plugger. Nice work.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

Nice. You could save me a lot of reading if you could do this every couple of pages of every thread. :lol: :lol:

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Nice. You could save me a lot of reading if you could do this every couple of pages of every thread. :lol: :lol:
Not sure I've got the time - but maybe the Site could employ someone to do it?
He/she could post a summary at the top of the thread and those interested could then read the detailed posts. :)

HarveysDeciple

umpiring was shocking....

and plugger66 I'll spell it out, it's not a conspiracy, it's not favouritism and it's not because we are st.kilda and get picked on...

But that didn't stop it being shocking umpiring, sometimes you have unlucky nights, this was one of them.

free kick against Kozi was terrible,

the 50/50 at best decision that went Lockyer's way a minute later, shocking.

and the swan decision in the first term was one of the worst I have ever seen.

We still should have won, and it's our fault we didn't, but surely when umpiring is poor supporters have a right to stand up and say umpiring was poor would you agree?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Well said HD

Also..the thread would be a whole lot more readable if people werent obsessed with quoting incessantly!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
LennyBoy
Club Player

Across the weekend as a whole the umpiring standards were very poor, and although we did cop the rough end of the deal, feel for Melbourne, 24 free kicks to 11, now that is one sided.

Once again the game is been over umpired; which is a such a pity.

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:umpiring was shocking....

and plugger66 I'll spell it out, it's not a conspiracy, it's not favouritism and it's not because we are st.kilda and get picked on...

But that didn't stop it being shocking umpiring, sometimes you have unlucky nights, this was one of them.

free kick against Kozi was terrible,

the 50/50 at best decision that went Lockyer's way a minute later, shocking.

and the swan decision in the first term was one of the worst I have ever seen.

We still should have won, and it's our fault we didn't, but surely when umpiring is poor supporters have a right to stand up and say umpiring was poor would you agree?
Absolutely agree just so long as it doesn't morph into the reason we lost.