Footy on Good Friday? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Should football be played on Good Friday?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 60

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

i'd be suprised if more than 10% of the population attend a christian service in the last 12 months.

really except for the pentacostal fruit loops and their flat earth philosophies, christianity is pretty dead as a practiced religion.

hopefully a few other religions will die off too and people start taking responsibility for the actions instead of god/allah/jehovahs/buddhas/ or whatevers will.

Im pretty sure god didn't tell george bush to bomb the crap out of iraq and im pretty sure allah who apparently is the SAME god as bush's god, but differing over what he/she/it actually said, isn't telling 18 year old blokes to go and blow themselves up in cafe's full of teenagers.

as far as Im concerned phcukc religion and take responsibility for your own life and actions.

and if playing footy on good friday drives another nail in religion good.

we should play a few games of footy on muslim and jewish religious holidays too, to be even handed.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Can I add to the holiday debate?

We have a holiday for a horse race !!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:i'd be suprised if more than 10% of the population attend a christian service in the last 12 months.

really except for the pentacostal fruit loops and their flat earth philosophies, christianity is pretty dead as a practiced religion.

hopefully a few other religions will die off too and people start taking responsibility for the actions instead of god/allah/jehovahs/buddhas/ or whatevers will.

Im pretty sure god didn't tell george bush to bomb the crap out of iraq and im pretty sure allah who apparently is the SAME god as bush's god, but differing over what he/she/it actually said, isn't telling 18 year old blokes to go and blow themselves up in cafe's full of teenagers.

as far as Im concerned phcukc religion and take responsibility for your own life and actions.

and if playing footy on good friday drives another nail in religion good.

we should play a few games of footy on muslim and jewish religious holidays too, to be even handed.
That is a pathetic post Dan....Coming from a bloke your age, its pretty disappointing.

You have certainly outlined a different agenda within your response...which is more on the topic of religion and its benefits and disadvantages rather than solely sticking to the topic of football.

Have the views you want, but maintain respect for other's opinions...

I don't come out lashing at you for being hollow as a result of your atheist views nor do I comment on how you seem to lack a spiritual side going by the above post. No I don't, And I don't even mean what is above, they are just examples.

Frankly, I don't care in what you choose to believe or not.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
Spinner wrote:In a nutshell, you want football to be on Good Friday while a large majority of the population (compared to any other day) would not.
Feel free to post a link to the source of this fact, won't you?
Spinner wrote:If we reversed the senario and had football on Good Friday, a lot of people would go...but a large majority (compared to any other day) would not.
Once again, I assume that you will post a link to the reference you've based this statement on.

Based on your supposition a lot of people would, in fact, attend a game of AFL were it scheduled. On what basis should we deny this many people the option to see a game of AFL?

You could say the same thing about any other Friday night game. Based on a 50,000 crowd, the large majority of Melbournians are not in favour of Friday night football. Given that we have some 3,000,000+ people living in this city, is it right to say that only 1.7% of Melbournians support Friday Night Football?
Spinner wrote:....So in the interests of this large majority of the population (in contrast to any other day) isn't it just better to please everyone by playing the game on the Thursday, Saturday or Sunday, allowing access for everyone during this one weekend of the fixture?
No. This, so called, unproven, large majority of yours should be given a choice as to whether to attend a game of AFL, go to church, quietly reflect their spirituality on the holy day or all three. As I am sure that many Australians do every Sunday.

All I want is a choice.
If there is enough reason to structure' an entire calender around certain traditions and beliefs, then I don't think facts are needed to outline to even the biggest of simpletons that 'compared to any other day of the year' there would be a portion (much larger than any other day in the year) of Australians that would be deterred from going to the football on this day.

This thread is enough fact to outline this...I've never read any threads throughout my forum career than were centered around not attending football on ANY other day of the year.

Overall though fact's are not really required. If you as a reasonable person can't understand or comprehend that the number of people would have 'more' of a reason not to attend football on a day in which the Government feels necessary to provide a Public Holiday for. (think about it - because a lot of people wouldn't be going to work because of their beliefs regardless if it a holiday or not).....

....Then I cannot argue with that un-reasonal person.
Last edited by Spinner on Wed 12 Mar 2008 3:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
Dan, we already do. Grand Final of 1966 was on the Jewish Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) their equivalent of Good Friday. I don't know enough about Islam to state whether games have been played on their holy days.

As an Aussie, the holiest day of the year to me is Anzac Day.
I am sure there are some people who object to games on Anzac Day but they don't impose their will on the wider community.

Spinner and others are free to worship as they like because we live in the greatest democracy in the world, but with due respect to those who feel football shouldn't be played on Good Friday because it is their holiest day, why is it o.k. to play it on others' holiest day?
Surely their holiest day is no better/worse than someone else's holiest day?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

you can believe in fufu the flying fairy for all I care, doesn't bother me what god or gods other people believe in as long as they don't start shoving their agenda's down my throat, or bombing things in the name of their god, or teaching my kids flat earth rubbish.

but by and large, i reckon religions are a crock and the sooner people wake up and start taking responsibility for their actions the better.

In no way do I say people of religion are bad in general, the vast majority of christians, jews, muslims, hindu's etc who i have associated with have not bothered in whatsoever.

there are SOME pentacostal christians who annoy the phcuck out of me, and I avoid them, except when i am at my parents place where I can't avoid them, but I tend not to converse with them, and when they do corner me and start their conversion process i politely tell them to go read a science book.

I can see they've started to corrupt my children with their mumbo jumbo and I try my best to steer my kids onto science and fact and explain that people have beliefs and there is nothing wrong with that, but saying that god created the earth is a belief and not a scientific fact. Fortunately my kids love science and nature programs, so by and large we manage to deal with the christian mythos adequately with science and fact.

so football on good friday is fine with me.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:
Dan, we already do. Grand Final of 1966 was on the Jewish Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) their equivalent of Good Friday. I don't know enough about Islam to state whether games have been played on their holy days.

I am sure there are some people who object to games on Anzac Day but they don't impose their will on the wider community.

Spinner and others are free to worship as they like because we live in the greatest democracy in the world, but with due respect to those who feel football shouldn't be played on Good Friday because it is their holiest day, why is it o.k. to play it on others' holiest day?
For the simple fact that Australia ie. through the Government, view this day as Australia's holiest day.

Same why Israel would outline there holiest days, some way China would with their major religion, same way Turkey would. India, Japan, Italy, Greece.

I doubt Israel would have sporting events on the Yon Kipper as you outlined above. (although I know nothing about their religion) Why, because it is their nations holiest day (as you outlined).

Does that mean everyone in Israel is Jewish, NO. But it would take a very selfish and brave man to argue this exact argument within that country.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:you can believe in fufu the flying fairy for all I care, doesn't bother me what god or gods other people believe in as long as they don't start shoving their agenda's down my throat, or bombing things in the name of their god, or teaching my kids flat earth rubbish.

but by and large, i reckon religions are a crock and the sooner people wake up and start taking responsibility for their actions the better.

In no way do I say people of religion are bad in general, the vast majority of christians, jews, muslims, hindu's etc who i have associated with have not bothered in whatsoever.

there are SOME pentacostal christians who annoy the phcuck out of me, and I avoid them, except when i am at my parents place where I can't avoid them, but I tend not to converse with them, and when they do corner me and start their conversion process i politely tell them to go read a science book.

I can see they've started to corrupt my children with their mumbo jumbo and I try my best to steer my kids onto science and fact and explain that people have beliefs and there is nothing wrong with that, but saying that god created the earth is a belief and not a scientific fact. Fortunately my kids love science and nature programs, so by and large we manage to deal with the christian mythos adequately with science and fact.

so football on good friday is fine with me.
...Its only that the issue here is weather Football should be played on Good Friday, and not weather you believe in Good Friday or not.

PS: Why don't you send your kids to a state school? Or are they teaching those things in those schools now? I went to a Catholic school so I wouldn't know what type of studies State schools replace what we learn as religion.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

i dont view good friday as a holy day, nor do the majority of australians.

i'd be suprised as I said if more than 10% of the population have been into a christian church in the past 12 months to worship (as opposed to weddings)

and I read that less than 30% of the population are getting baptised so thats another sign that folks don't take christian religion seriously for the next generation.

by and large Im happy to see football played on friday, and if it drives another nail in religions, good.

as for schools there still is a religious element, and its not educational, as its sponsored by a particular religion and I've got my kids to not attend. I would rather they got taught something useful instead.

I don't think australia does have a state religion.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:If there is enough reason to structure' an entire calender around certain traditions and beliefs, then I don't think facts are needed to outline to even the biggest of simpletons that 'compared to any other day of the year' there would be a portion (much larger than any other day in the year) of Australians that would be deterred from going to the football on this day.

This thread is enough fact to outline this...I've never read any threads throughout my forum career than were centered around not attending football on ANY other day of the year.

Overall though fact's are not really required. If you as a reasonable person can't understand or comprehend that the number of people would have 'more' of a reason not to attend football on a day in which the Government feels necessary to provide a Public Holiday for. (think about it - because a lot of people wouldn't be going to work because of their beliefs regardless if it a holiday or not).....

....Then I cannot with that unreasonal person.
So the missing fact is, in fact, this thread? Wow!

Well I put it to you that, based on this thread (50/50 view point), enough people do want football on Good Friday to warrant playing football on Good Friday.

Those of you that don't want to attend or even watch it on TV can exercise your right to turn it off or not attend.

The Public Holiday argument is not relevant here. We play football on every other public holiday that falls between March and September. We have a public holiday to celebrate a horse race, a birthday for a redundant monarch that is not even on that day (or close to that day).

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:

For the simple fact that Australia ie. through the Government, view this day as Australia's holiest day.

Same why Israel would outline there holiest days, some way China would with their major religion, same way Turkey would. India, Japan, Italy, Greece.

I doubt Israel would have sporting events on the Yon Kipper as you outlined above. (although I know nothing about their religion) Why, because it is their nations holiest day (as you outlined).

Does that mean everyone in Israel is Jewish, NO. But it would take a very selfish and brave man to argue this exact argument within that country.
AFAIK nowhere in Australia's constitution is there any mention that we are a Christian country. If we were then the Government could/would? legislate what it deemed permissable or not.

AFAIK Israel is a Jewish State (Country) and quite possibly has legislated what you can/can't do on various days.
Most of the Arab Muslim countries have also legislated what is permissable and what is not vis-a-vis their religious holy days.

I am of the belief that Australia is a non-religious society, whose most populous religion is Christinaity and not a Christian Country.

Last time I looked at my passport it said I was Australian - not Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Scientologist etc.

My belief is that the individual has the right to choose what he/she believes in and also has the right to decide what he/she will attend.

Josef Gutnick when President of the MFC chose not to attend any game Melbourne played on Saturdays (his Sabbath) because he beleived he personally shouldn't break the Sabbath. I don't believe I've seen/heard/read anywhere that he asked either the fans not to attend the Saturday games or the AFL to move the Saturday games to other days.

I believe that is the model that we should follow - each of us make up our own minds as to what we are comfortable in doing in relation to our religious beliefs.

I've been to 3 grand finals in my life - 1965, 1971, 1997.
Though not devout, I chose not to attend 1966 because it was the holiest day of my religious year. That doesn't mean that my berliefs should be imposed on anybody else. Luckiliy for us Saints, Ian Synman elected to play that day and assist us in winning our only Premiership.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:

AFAIK nowhere in Australia's constitution is there any mention that we are a Christian country. If we were then the Government could/would? legislate what it deemed permissable or not.

AFAIK Israel is a Jewish State (Country) and quite possibly has legislated what you can/can't do on various days.
Most of the Arab Muslim countries have also legislated what is permissable and what is not vis-a-vis their religious holy days.

I am of the belief that Australia is a non-religious society, whose most populous religion is Christinaity and not a Christian Country.

Last time I looked at my passport it said I was Australian - not Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Scientologist etc.

My belief is that the individual has the right to choose what he/she believes in and also has the right to decide what he/she will attend.

Josef Gutnick when President of the MFC chose not to attend any game Melbourne played on Saturdays (his Sabbath) because he beleived he personally shouldn't break the Sabbath. I don't believe I've seen/heard/read anywhere that he asked either the fans not to attend the Saturday games or the AFL to move the Saturday games to other days.

I believe that is the model that we should follow - each of us make up our own minds as to what we are comfortable in doing in relation to our religious beliefs.

I've been to 3 grand finals in my life - 1965, 1971, 1997.
Though not devout, I chose not to attend 1966 because it was the holiest day of my religious year. That doesn't mean that my berliefs should be imposed on anybody else. Luckiliy for us Saints, Ian Synman elected to play that day and assist us in winning our only Premiership.
How can you state Australia's main religion isn't Christianity? I find that hard to believe.

Long Life Saint - The reason that a public holiday exists on Good Friday, is to celebrate a religious tradition.

IE without the religion tradition, there would be no holiday....

Maybe your argument should be with the Australian government stating that you believe no one in Australia is really Christian and thus the day isn't really needed as part of an official calender structure.

....Then playing football wouldn't be an issue on this day, because it would clearly outline that only a minority of the population would be disinterested in football on this day.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

as I said, not many people go to church, and except for a few screaming 'intelligent design' and the pentacostal flat earthers, the relevance of christian mainstream religion is by and large diminishing.

Good friday means very little to me outside a free public holiday.

many folks now work on good friday or are rostered on without award or bonus wages, so clearly the LAST government didn't see anything special about working on a good friday.

religious tradition? pfft, for most people is a free public holiday.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:How can you state Australia's main religion isn't Christianity? I find that hard to believe.

Long Life Saint - The reason that a public holiday exists on Good Friday, is to celebrate a religious tradition.

IE without the religion tradition, there would be no holiday....

Maybe your argument should be with the Australian government stating that you believe no one in Australia is really Christian and thus the day isn't really needed as part of an official calender structure.

....Then playing football wouldn't be an issue on this day, because it would clearly outline that only a minority of the population would be disinterested in football on this day.
I don't think the above post said that Australia's main religion wasn't Christian. I took the meaning that just because you are Australian, you are not automatically a Christian. As our constitution is not based on religion.

I have no doubt that the initial holiday existed because of the religion. How many people really celebrate the true meaning of any holiday? How many people get together and throw a birthday party for the Queen on the second Monday in June? How many people just buy presents for each other on Christmas? It's odd that you don't see kids lining up to get there photos with a nativity scene but every shopping centre has a Santa. I'm not saying that it is right or wrong. Just the way it is.

Public holidays now bear little meaning to when they were first gazetted.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: How can you state Australia's main religion isn't Christianity? I find that hard to believe.

I didn't.

I quite clearly stated that the most populous religion in Australia is Christianity but that Australia wasn't a 'Christian Country'.

I segregate religion from secular society. So too apparently do successive governments in Australia.

We have public Holidays for
Religious reasons
Remembering our Servicemen/women
Hors Races
Agricultural Shows
Labour Day
Wrapping up boxes (Boxing Day)
Australia's birthday
The Queen's birthday

On Good Friday I believe you can go to the movies, shop, buy petrol, fly on aeroplanes, go to the zoo (incidentally this is the best day to take young kids to the zoo) etc.

Whilst I'm with you in thinking the AFL shouldn't play game(s) on Good Friday, I also believe it is not my right to tell others what they should/shouldn't do.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i think its simple, play a game on good friday, and if people don't wanna go, they won't.

But i think they would easily sell out the game

just one question, how does playing a game on good friday effect those who choose to observe the religious traditions of the day?

you don't have to go, you don't have to watch, you don't even have to listen. It would be like the event wasn't even on, so i can't see how it would effect you?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Lenny_Hayes7
Club Player

This is just going around in circles!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:i think its simple, play a game on good friday, and if people don't wanna go, they won't.

just one question, how does playing a game on good friday effect those who choose to observe the religious traditions of the day?

you don't have to go, you don't have to watch, you don't even have to listen. It would be like the event wasn't even on, so i can't see how it would effect you?
Couldn't we all go to the game together either on the Thursday, Saturday or Sunday?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
The_Dud wrote:i think its simple, play a game on good friday, and if people don't wanna go, they won't.

Couldn't we all go to the game together either on the Thursday, Saturday or Sunday?

yeah, but i don't think i'd wanna sit with all you religious nuts :D

;)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
Spinner wrote:

yeah, but i don't think i'd wanna sit with all you religious nuts :D

;)
Might be a bit hard considering you do barrack for the Saints. :lol:

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Lenny_Hayes7 wrote:This is just going around in circles!
Much like most religious discussions. :wink:

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

It is a friday during the football season, a game should be played, if your religious beliefs prevent you from going, don't go, I actually believe that Good Friday would draw quite a crowd because there is nothing else to do on that bloody day!!

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Lenny_Hayes7 wrote:This is just going around in circles!
It is because Spinner can't seem to understand that Australia is not a
"Christian State" as Mr Magic has correctly pointed out.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
pits
Club Player

midas_touch wrote:They play games on Easter Sunday, I cant really see the difference here.
Jesus didn't die on Easter Sunday - He died on Good Friday - He rose on Easter Sunday

Yes Dec 25 is a made up date, how many people know the exact birth date of someone 2000 years ago, espicially if he was treated as an insane person who thought he was the son the God? People took little notice of him when he was around. He was born 4 BC.

Some traditions need to be respected no matter if a religion is supported or not. Most Christians find Good Friday the most holy day on the Callender and it should be respected and understood.

The league when it was formed recognised this and has kept it a sacred day.

really?
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

pits wrote:[
Some traditions need to be respected no matter if a religion is supported or not. Most Christians find Good Friday the most holy day on the Callender and it should be respected and understood.

The league when it was formed recognised this and has kept it a sacred day.
Ok, I don't get why the AFL should force these religious beliefs on everyone???

I agree with you re most Christian's find/think Good Friday is the most holy of days, and surely playing a footy game is not disrespectful is it???

Yes, the league recognised this in the 1800's, but in case you hadn't noticed we are now in the 21st century and society has very significantly changed.

IMO your argument would've been 100% valid up until about the 1960's, but since then it has gradually eroded to a point where it's validity has dropped significantly.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.