Our Captain

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Re: Our Captain

Is there a gene that makes you bomb it into the forward 50...if so, that would be Saints DNA

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Good to see Captian and Coach are on the same page.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I am guessing that’s a BOG for our skipper

Lack of leadership today?!

Or has it changed in a week?!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 24 Jul 2022 10:31am Why are people so keen on hearing words? It's Sunday morning, find any used car lot if you want to be sold a lemon.

We heard from the coach and his actions at selection hardly matched those words.

I only want to see action and accountability by the players who have the honour of pulling on the St Kilda jumper.
Are you happy with Jack Steele's actions?

... I think we all are :D

As far as Vortex's words claims regarding Ratts actions in speaking to the players at the breaks (without the input of his assistants)...

I think that speaks volumes - if the allegations are true - and I don't think McGlynn and Lade will be at the club next year

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 24 Jul 2022 10:54pm I am guessing that’s a BOG for our skipper

Lack of leadership today?!

Or has it changed in a week?!
Had to respond, he's been down in general play and he's been poor as a leader. He's still learning so good to see he was able to respond to the feedback in a positive way. That's leadership as you get concerned with our fragile club that it can go the other way when you are critisised.

Good to beat up on a bottom two side now let's see how he goes against the top 4 sides.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Steele has been Captain for the better part of 3 seasons

He has been one of the best performed player in the AFL and easily the best performed player at StK in that period.

And your worried about him?!

I reckon there are 40 odd other blokes that are more of an issue

Great player - typical heart and soul player!

And I’d love to play under a fearless two way mid who is head and shoulders the best player in my team!!!!

What does a leader have to do btw?!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 25 Jul 2022 6:52am Steele has been Captain for the better part of 3 seasons

He has been one of the best performed player in the AFL and easily the best performed player at StK in that period.

And I’d love to play under a fearless two way mid who is head and shoulders the best player in my team!!!!

No argument there, I keep agreeing he is a jet but like all players you can have your weaknesses or areas you can work on to improve.

Avoiding sooking it up towards players and umpires, being more vocal, instructional and complimentary with players around you and do it with some positive animation, intensity and energy. Essentially don't just look after your own game.

That's what leaders do and it's mandatory if you are Captain.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 25 Jul 2022 3:22am
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 24 Jul 2022 10:31am Why are people so keen on hearing words? It's Sunday morning, find any used car lot if you want to be sold a lemon.

We heard from the coach and his actions at selection hardly matched those words.

I only want to see action and accountability by the players who have the honour of pulling on the St Kilda jumper.
Are you happy with Jack Steele's actions?

... I think we all are :D
Yes, happier with the response by a lot of our players. Actions do speak louder than words which is why I have no issue with Steele as our Captain.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 25 Jul 2022 10:16am
B.M wrote: Mon 25 Jul 2022 6:52am Steele has been Captain for the better part of 3 seasons

No argument there, I keep agreeing he is a jet but like all players you can have your weaknesses or areas you can work on to improve.

Avoiding sooking it up towards players and umpires, being more vocal, instructional and complimentary with players around you and do it with some positive animation, intensity and energy. Essentially don't just look after your own game.

That's what leaders do and it's mandatory if you are Captain.
Glad you can make all these claims about his leadership style through tiny no-context snippets you see through your TV… :shock:

:lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

So you want him demonstratively yelling at team mates like Nick Riewoldt or BJ Goddard?!

Make Dougal skipper then

Me, I prefer to follow a leader who leads by example, not necessarily one who tells me what to do and how to play.

repta
Club Player

Steele is a great Player and one of the leagues best

That doesnt make him a great leader.

His leadership is all around leading the way in action. I dont believe his communication is great. Leaders need to be great communicators. The best will hold individuals and teams to account whilst not getting personal.

Premiership teams have a balance and great leadership. Look at teams that have been up for a long time say Sydney and Geelong. They have strong leaders than know how to lead. The StKilda leadership group is poor. When things are good it is ok. However when things get hard (eg second half of this year) the wheels fall off.

The majority of StKildas issues are with the leadership within the team. It would appear that very little accountability is ever held to either the individuals or team. Bad body language is rarely called out, or worse support given to breed belief in oneself and team.

It is not all Rattens fault.
Your best player is not necessarily the best leader

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 25 Jul 2022 4:35pm So you want him demonstratively yelling at team mates like Nick Riewoldt or BJ Goddard?!

Make Dougal skipper then

Me, I prefer to follow a leader who leads by example, not necessarily one who tells me what to do and how to play.
Re read my post. It's states the opposite of your post.

And the way you are motivated could be one of 22 different ways individuals on a field are motivated. A good leader understands that.

You and Buckley would have made good teammates in the early part of his career.

Sanctorum
Club Player

There's no disputing the fact that Jack Steele is consistently one of the St Kilda's best players, he thoroughly deserves all the accolades that are bestowed on him. But that does not necessarily make him a strong leader.

It is equally widely acknowledged, and glaringly obvious, that St Kilda lacks strong on-field leadership - a skill that does not occur naturally and can be difficult to develop if it is not in a player's nature: it is mostly innate. The ideal team captain, for example Joel Selwood, Scott Pendlebury, Marcus Bontempelli, Max Gawn are not only very skilful players and amongst the top ten every week, they also possess a really strong voice to inspire the players in their charge to perform to their maximum capacity. They can be seen constantly directing traffic, get in their face if they fail to put pressure on their opponents or generally fail to play their role. Coaches can only do that during the breaks, but more importantly it needs to be done on-field.

For all Jack steele's admirable skills, I don't see him demonstrating any of these things during a game. It is also the reason club legend Robert Harvey did not become long term captain during his heyday.

In a similar vein, St Kilda also has not had a first class tear-away midfielder for years, the likes of Oliver, Petracca, Viney, De Goey, Martyn, Bailey Smith, and others, excitement machines, the types of blokes that can turn a game around by sheer force of physical strength and willpower. Every successful team has at least one and it is yet another deficiency that the recruiters need to address if our team is going to become a serious contender....

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 26 Jul 2022 11:48am There's no disputing the fact that Jack Steele is consistently one of the St Kilda's best players, he thoroughly deserves all the accolades that are bestowed on him. But that does not necessarily make him a strong leader.

It is equally widely acknowledged, and glaringly obvious, that St Kilda lacks strong on-field leadership - a skill that does not occur naturally and can be difficult to develop if it is not in a player's nature: it is mostly innate. The ideal team captain, for example Joel Selwood, Scott Pendlebury, Marcus Bontempelli, Max Gawn are not only very skilful players and amongst the top ten every week, they also possess a really strong voice to inspire the players in their charge to perform to their maximum capacity. They can be seen constantly directing traffic, get in their face if they fail to put pressure on their opponents or generally fail to play their role. Coaches can only do that during the breaks, but more importantly it needs to be done on-field.

For all Jack steele's admirable skills, I don't see him demonstrating any of these things during a game. It is also the reason club legend Robert Harvey did not become long term captain during his heyday.

In a similar vein, St Kilda also has not had a first class tear-away midfielder for years, the likes of Oliver, Petracca, Viney, De Goey, Martyn, Bailey Smith, and others, excitement machines, the types of blokes that can turn a game around by sheer force of physical strength and willpower. Every successful team has at least one and it is yet another deficiency that the recruiters need to address if our team is going to become a serious contender....
I think Mic Owens has the ability to be that man. Big call I know but just watch him develop with a few more games under his belt.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Interesting call Saynta, I haven't seen enough of Owens in his 3 games to come to that conclusion, but you might be right once he puts some bulk on that 190cm frame!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 27 Jul 2022 5:07pm Interesting call Saynta, I haven't seen enough of Owens in his 3 games to come to that conclusion, but you might be right once he puts some bulk on that 190cm frame!
He's big, strong, tough, lightening quick and possessed of footy smarts. Yep, he can afford to bulk up a little, but not too much.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I rate Steele very highly as a Captain

I also think the title of Captain means pretty much FA