Dustin Martin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dustin Martin

#gosaintas wrote:
markp wrote:No it shouldn't take a genius.

What I repeatedly said was some people were challenging her choice of actions without knowing what they were or why she took them and seemingly attributed fault, when there was nothing she could have said to attribute any blame to her, or warrant, or justify her being threatened with stabbing and killing.

You took exception to this, and while I was kinda heartbroken at the time I've since gotten over it and moved on.

Another outraged hand wringer now too embarrassed to admit you were sucked in. Pathetic. I'll kill you with my chopsticks! PC correctness strikes again and has another victim.
You seem like a good bloke.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

What I repeatedly said was some people were challenging her choice of actions without knowing what they were or why she took them and seemingly attributed fault, when there was nothing she could have said to attribute any blame to her, or warrant, or justify her being threatened with stabbing and killing.

You took exception to this, and while I was kinda heartbroken at the time I've since gotten over it and moved on.
There's that famous little shift in the topic that you've perfected oh so well.

Certainly there have been some outrageous things said on this thread over the course of 20 odd pages... and it's actually quite poor to try and lump people's particular views together and selectively attack and ignore quotes as they suit you. I certainly shouldn't have to point out that I'm referring to our particular discussion as opposed to the collective discussions that have gone on in this thread.

I'm quite happy to maintain that my own views as expressed on this topic don't fall under the umbrella of what you've described above. You disagree. You're arguments weren't particularly compelling to me but that's life. That impasse was reached long ago.

Of course that's a separate topic to your latest shift in thinking and hence that's what peaked my interest. Prefaces and double standards. The above stuff is of course the standard subterfuge that you like to go with in discussions.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:

Another outraged hand wringer now too embarrassed to admit you were sucked in. Pathetic. I'll kill you with my chopsticks! PC correctness strikes again and has another victim.
You seem like a good bloke.
Yeah I'm going to have to go with Markp on this one

On a side note, I think we've all been sucked in here to some degree. For the life of me I have no idea how Dusty hasn't been charged, how witnesses allegedly saw the threats, and now that there apparently weren't any threatsto begin with if what Wilson says is true.

The whole thing is weird to say the least

loris
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: how witnesses allegedly saw the threats, and now that there apparently weren't any threatsto begin with if what Wilson says is true.

Vroom, vroom, vroom, vroom............ is that Harelys I hear????

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
skeptic wrote: how witnesses allegedly saw the threats, and now that there apparently weren't any threatsto begin with if what Wilson says is true.

You should put a preface on that - some would get very upset if you post w/o knowing all the facts :wink:

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

I've missed most of this issue.... Has about 90% of what happened now found to be BS?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:I've missed most of this issue.... Has about 90% of what happened now found to be BS?
Bernard Shakey hasn't been around much lately, but I doubt he's been threatening women with chopsticks :shock:

#gosaintas
Club Player

Seems she made it up and the hand wringers and PC brigade got on their soapboxes and sung their outraged lungs out. Very funny to watch.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

#gosaintas wrote:Seems she made it up and the hand wringers and PC brigade got on their soapboxes and sung their outraged lungs out. Very funny to watch.
Will he receive an apology from any of the various media outlets that pretty much shat on him for 2 straight weeks? Hmm.. Silly question.

#gosaintas
Club Player

prwilkinson wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:Seems she made it up and the hand wringers and PC brigade got on their soapboxes and sung their outraged lungs out. Very funny to watch.
Will he receive an apology from any of the various media outlets that pretty much shat on him for 2 straight weeks? Hmm.. Silly question.

He should, just like Saints should have for that whole StKilda school girl thing. But these days you just scream from your soap box and then move onto the next outrage. No need for facts.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Amazing that after 6 or so weeks investigating, a public and private apology from martin, rfc referring it to police because of its seriousness, it turns out nothing happened, and this is (kinda) announced in the days immediately after possibly the biggest story in afl history.

Doesn't stink at all.

He should sue the woman and the media outlets who ran the story, and she should probably be sacked from her job at ch 7.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

markp wrote:Amazing that after 6 or so weeks investigating, a public and private apology from martin, rfc referring it to police because of its seriousness, it turns out nothing happened, and this is (kinda) announced in the days immediately after possibly the biggest story in afl history.

Doesn't stink at all.

He should sue the woman and the media outlets who ran the story, and she should probably be sacked from her job at ch 7.
I'd certainly be seeking legal advice if I were him. Channel 7 and the woman for defamation, something like that. I'm not really sure what the best path is regarding these sorts of matters.

ripplug66
Club Player

I must say I owe Dusty an apology not that he would give a stuff.

Darth Vader
Club Player

ripplug66 wrote:I must say I owe Dusty an apology not that he would give a stuff.
Don't get fooled P66. It's obviously a massive conspiracy involving PEDs, South Australian banks, the UN, Rupert Murdoch and the Knights of Malta.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:
markp wrote:Amazing that after 6 or so weeks investigating, a public and private apology from martin, rfc referring it to police because of its seriousness, it turns out nothing happened, and this is (kinda) announced in the days immediately after possibly the biggest story in afl history.

Doesn't stink at all.

I'd certainly be seeking legal advice if I were him. Channel 7 and the woman for defamation, something like that. I'm not really sure what the best path is regarding these sorts of matters.
Rubbish. Richmond will count their lucky stars there wasn't cc tv of it. As usual people swing from one extreme to another - Dustin's the devil...no now the women is evil and should be sued for every penney. The truth will be somewhere in the middle as usual. I said from the start that I would be amazed if this got to any criminal charges. The woman was reluctant to even come forward and probably didn't even necessarily even want a police investigation - just wanted Dustin not to act like a moron and cop some embarrassment and awareness. He was a drunken (maybe drug induced) idiot, but not necessarily criminal. I could see him waving chopsticks around in a way he thought was humorous but could be seen as threatening by sober folk just wanting a quiet meal.

Does anyone trust an AFL internal investigation? This organisation is obsessed with its brand management is always looking for the opportunity to brush any dirt it can under the carpet. All they said was they couldn't find enough evidence. Same as police. But of course we now flip to Dustin being holier than though and completely innocent of anything.

markp
Saintsational Legend

He has to sue, he was unjustly and blatantly defamed across the land, and it'd be a slam-dunk case.

I eagerly await the announcement.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:

:D :wink: Quite possibly.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Bluthy wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:

Doesn't stink at all.

Rubbish. Richmond will count their lucky stars there wasn't cc tv of it. As usual people swing from one extreme to another - Dustin's the devil...no now the women is evil and should be sued for every penney. The truth will be somewhere in the middle as usual. I said from the start that I would be amazed if this got to any criminal charges. The woman was reluctant to even come forward and probably didn't even necessarily even want a police investigation - just wanted Dustin not to act like a moron and cop some embarrassment and awareness. He was a drunken (maybe drug induced) idiot, but not necessarily criminal. I could see him waving chopsticks around in a way he thought was humorous but could be seen as threatening by sober folk just wanting a quiet meal.

Does anyone trust an AFL internal investigation? This organisation is obsessed with its brand management is always looking for the opportunity to brush any dirt it can under the carpet. All they said was they couldn't find enough evidence. Same as police. But of course we now flip to Dustin being holier than though and completely innocent of anything.
So, it's ok with what has been shown as a lack of evidence for the media to run this story or any story for that matter as fact and publicly humiliate someone for 2 weeks? To me, it's not about Dustin Martin or what he may or may not have done. It's about ethics in the media and that they created a front page story from an incident that had more holes in it than swiss cheese.

I hope Chris Gayle sticks it to fairfax and takes every cent he can get from that semi-bankrupt organisation purely, because they think they can run any story they like without a hint of journalistic integrity. The current media landscape is a joke.

ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:

Doesn't stink at all.

I'm pretty sure there was CCTV footage of it. That helped him. We can only go with the final result and the cops didn't charge him and the AFL found there was insufficient evidence. The woman could always sue. I'm betting this is the end of it. A 5K suspended fine suggests there was bugger all in it. He is still an idiot. Don't know the girl but if she lied she is also an idiot, if she didn't then god knows how they got to this result.

Playon
Club Player

A 5k fine suggests there WAS something in it, just not criminal. Social unacceptable behavior may not be against the law but doesnt paint a pretty picture for the AFL. You don't get locked up for being an Ar5ehole. Once Carey retires from Media perhaps he can take over

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:I'm pretty sure there was CCTV footage of it. That helped him. We can only go with the final result and the cops didn't charge him and the AFL found there was insufficient evidence. The woman could always sue. I'm betting this is the end of it. A 5K suspended fine suggests there was bugger all in it. He is still an idiot. Don't know the girl but if she lied she is also an idiot, if she didn't then god knows how they got to this result.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/a-star ... dcf8724b46
Mr Miyagi’s bar and restaurant has gone above and beyond its liquor licence requirements by having CCTV cameras — both inside and out — installed.

However, not a single camera was working on the night.

“They’re being upgraded and none of them are working,” the co-owner said.

“They stopped working 10 or 12 days ago. We are getting new ones next week, on the 16th.

“If it happened a week earlier, or a week later, it would have all been on there.”
Police would have reviewed any cctv footage available including street views or nearby shops - its just a stock standard phrase in the police statement. You could almost be guaranteed the footage would have leaked if there was any of the actual incident.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I can't believe that ppl are so easily convinced that the whole thing is rubbish and we should all just move along.

The woman herself stands by her story. So she doesn't want to pursue it through the courts? Big deal! Who would? You've got mindless ignorant tosser AFL supporters making threats twds her over social media, the AFL leaning on her, and she lives interstate. Why the hell would she be bothered pursuing it. Her complaint has served its purpose - hopefully Dusty never behaves like this again.

Of course the Tiges are happy to sweep the whole thing away - Martin is their most devastating player. He gets a big suspension, and their season is over before it begins. The AFL need another controversy like a hole in the head- and we're all aware that they'd never try and manipulate a situation, nor do they care about adverse publicity.

I see her exactly as I did when this whole thing started - courageous

ripplug66
Club Player

Moods wrote:I can't believe that ppl are so easily convinced that the whole thing is rubbish and we should all just move along.

The woman herself stands by her story. So she doesn't want to pursue it through the courts? Big deal! Who would? You've got mindless ignorant tosser AFL supporters making threats twds her over social media, the AFL leaning on her, and she lives interstate. Why the hell would she be bothered pursuing it. Her complaint has served its purpose - hopefully Dusty never behaves like this again.

Of course the Tiges are happy to sweep the whole thing away - Martin is their most devastating player. He gets a big suspension, and their season is over before it begins. The AFL need another controversy like a hole in the head- and we're all aware that they'd never try and manipulate a situation, nor do they care about adverse publicity.

The AFL whilst slack on a few things would have definitely made Richmond give a bigger penalty than a suspended sentence if there was something in it. That is why there must be a little doubt.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

After all that has happened with the EFC cheating saga, I have zero confidence in the AFL.

Not the first time Dusty has been in trouble, but agree, the AFL dont want any annoying problems at the moment.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
Moods wrote:I can't believe that ppl are so easily convinced that the whole thing is rubbish and we should all just move along.

The AFL whilst slack on a few things would have definitely made Richmond give a bigger penalty than a suspended sentence if there was something in it. That is why there must be a little doubt.
Not if the female has tired of the whole thing and has refused to speak or further involve herself. All it requires is a couple of patrons to say it wasn't that bad (like they would know because Dusty was speaking to them) and we have a lack of evidence and just a drunk obnoxious bloke in a bar. It's the whole reason why coppers don't go courting for work in these types of instances. Let the victim come to them and complain, get the statement and investigate from there.

I guess the question is, what reason did the lady have to make the allegation in the first place? What reason does she have to make things up? She lives interstate. The AFL community have made it clear to her that her complaint will cost Dusty his career - pretty sure that wasn't her intention when she made the complaint - she didn't even know it was a criminal offence.

This statement that there is nil evidence to support her assertions I reckon is misleading. Technically correct but reads like the whole thing was BS. She is being leant on everywhere. The tiges, the AFL, her own employer, Richmond supporters, media outlets in Melbourne. I believe that in her mind she would think 'is this really worth pursuing?' What is there to gain here?