Rhys Stanley for Pick #21

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rhys Stanley for Pick #21

Sainternist wrote:Very happy with this trade. Stanley was an absolute dud. He frustrated me no end. Great to see the back of him.

I hope you are just a fool for this week.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

This trade has me worried most for sure......at justover 50 games for a big guy at 23.....big call cause his type dont come round often......

Huge Pelican call.

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:This trade has me worried most for sure......at justover 50 games for a big guy at 23.....big call cause his type dont come round often......

Huge Pelican call.

Pelchen will make or break our club. Luckily this season he has chose to do neither. Wouldn't trust him with my mother in law.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:This trade has me worried most for sure......at justover 50 games for a big guy at 23.....big call cause his type dont come round often......

Huge Pelican call.
It is a big call Teff, and I do like Rhys. But in the past we have hung on to players that might turn it around, but never seem to . I'm glad we have Pelchen making these calls. He knows his stuff as well as anyone in the business.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:

Huge Pelican call.
It is a big call Teff, and I do like Rhys. But in the past we have hung on to players that might turn it around, but never seem to . I'm glad we have Pelchen making these calls. He knows his stuff as well as anyone in the business.

Is that actually based on anything at all. He got sacked from his last job.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Is that actually based on anything at all. He got sacked from his last job.
He formed some part of 2 clubs winning flags…

Being sacked from a job doesn't make you no good.

I don't like the Stanley trade, Pelchen seems absolutely brutal… but maybe that's what we need.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Is that actually based on anything at all. He got sacked from his last job.
He formed some part of 2 clubs winning flags…

Being sacked from a job doesn't make you no good.

I don't like the Stanley trade, Pelchen seems absolutely brutal… but maybe that's what we need.

He also maybe what we don't need. I hope you are right. Im suggesting he is that arrogant he could break us. John Peake formed some part of us nearly winning 2 flags.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Maybe...

It really will become evident soon enough.

As long as people pay attention to the crosses, and don't fawn all over the ticks.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Maybe...

As long as people pay attention to the crosses, and don't fawn all over the ticks.
Subjective though…

I have trading Rhys a cross, where most people are rapt…

I am happy that we have let BJ & Dal go… but many aren't

I don't think things like Polo & Peake getting an extra year is a big deal in the scheme of things to be honest.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: John Peake formed some part of us nearly winning 2 flags.
You are right. He wasn't good enough.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Huge Pelican call.

Pelchen will make or break our club. Luckily this season he has chose to do neither. Wouldn't trust him with my mother in law.
I think the Pelican is the best list builder we've ever had.

Our club is always broken, i like the way he is trying to put it back together.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
SainterK wrote:Maybe...

Subjective though…

I have trading Rhys a cross, where most people are rapt…

I am happy that we have let BJ & Dal go… but many aren't

I don't think things like Polo & Peake getting an extra year is a big deal in the scheme of things to be honest.
When it was at the expense of our fullback, which wasn't then replaced for 2 years...

Terry and Saad not the best deal with the benefit of time.

He still dishes out 2 years too easy.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

]
Who formed part of us winning a spoon?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:]
Who formed part of us winning a spoon?

Peake, Elshaug, Bevo and about 30 others.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Anyway Geelong see him as a ruckman and not a fwd.

I argued the last two years he was a ruckman or nothing. he was always a Ruckman. He was drafted as a ruckman. I think the fwd thing was an emotional fantasy as we all desperately wanted to keep Roo alive for another decade.....

http://www.sen.com.au/news/balme-on-sta ... itch-brown
Amen.

People I sit around me at the footy are sick of me saying he is a ruckman.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
spert
Saintsational Legend

Rhys is about as much as ruckman as Jack Steven. One of the few talls who I regularly see get bumped off the ball in contests by smaller opponents. Just a GOP in my book.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Anyway Geelong see him as a ruckman and not a fwd.

I argued the last two years he was a ruckman or nothing. he was always a Ruckman. He was drafted as a ruckman. I think the fwd thing was an emotional fantasy as we all desperately wanted to keep Roo alive for another decade.....

http://www.sen.com.au/news/balme-on-sta ... itch-brown
Amen.

People I sit around me at the footy are sick of me saying he is a ruckman.
The problem with Stanley is staying injury free. If he can do that and play a lot of time in the ruck it will be interesting to see how much he develops. We'll definitely know in a couple years if it makes him or breaks him.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

I've been watching a few replays recently, and the thing that stood out with me with Stanley is that he doesn't read the game well.

So if the ball is directed directly to him he is a chance, but if he has to go and find it himself he struggles.

Maybe Geelong will give the ball to him better, but often he seems two steps behind because of misreading the play.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Couple of interesting points raised in this thread:

1) Stanley's issues have nothing to do with his fast or slow twitch fibres or anything else physical. His limitations are personality/mentality based. He is not a natural footballer, which is no crime, but he is also not a naturally agressive or intense person. As a big guy, he could afford the first or the second, but not both.

2) I would much rather we make a call on a bloke too early and give up someone that eventually comes good somewhere else. We haven't done that in a long time and that is not a good sign. It means we aren't turning over the list enough and hanging on to guys that will never improve too long in the "hope that they come good". The more you turn over the list, the better your odds of unearthing a rough diamond. This is a brutal business, and 6 years to develop a player is 2 years too long. If you aren't seeing some solid development in a project player after 3 to 4 years, move on. There are only 40 spots on a list, an average season requires at least thirty of them to play seniors (allowing for injuries), that give you just 10 spots for development, plus rookies. Yes I realise some of the 30 spots will be filled by "project" players, but I am sure it demonstrates my point well enough. Markworth is a case in point moving forward. The kid has a ton of potential, and I am a big fan who reckons he could be very special, but he needs to show something this coming season. I know he has been cruelled by injuries thus far, but we can't wait forever. The rookie list may beckon for him.....

3) The Pelican - I am a declared fan, but I am aware that mistakes will be made. I think they are less likely now than when he first started and we had to get mutiples on every pick to try and fast track filling the chasm on our list, but if we are churning the list we are headed the right way. As to the issue that he was sacked from his last job, that could be for any number of reasons, and having walked out on jobs myself because directors showed themselves to be unstable or GM's turned out to have a mean streak, well lets just say that being sacked is very often nothing to do with performance. As long as he does his role in our club very well, I don't care if he goes home and tortures kittens.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:This is a brutal business, and 6 years to develop a player is 2 years too long. If you aren't seeing some solid development in a project player after 3 to 4 years, move on.
Not sure why anyone would bother drafting any young 200cm players if this is the case.

It is well known that big guys can take till 25+ to come good, so if you only give 4 years then you would constantly be turning out ruckmen at 22 years of age, well before they have time to show what they can do.

Stanley has clearly shown solid development (hence pick 21) in his short career so far, he may have been on the list for 6 years, but he's only played around 2 seasons worth of football after being chronically injured early on.

We've just turned over 30 odd players in the past 3 years, so I don't think we could be accused of not turning the list over in recent years.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If he plays 150 games and kicks 100 career goals hes had a good career he can be proud of.
Not many do that. That would be his best result imho.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

dragit wrote:
True Believer wrote:This is a brutal business, and 6 years to develop a player is 2 years too long. If you aren't seeing some solid development in a project player after 3 to 4 years, move on.
Not sure why anyone would bother drafting any young 200cm players if this is the case.

It is well known that big guys can take till 25+ to come good, so if you only give 4 years then you would constantly be turning out ruckmen at 22 years of age, well before they have time to show what they can do.

Stanley has clearly shown solid development (hence pick 21) in his short career so far, he may have been on the list for 6 years, but he's only played around 2 seasons worth of football after being chronically injured early on.

We've just turned over 30 odd players in the past 3 years, so I don't think we could be accused of not turning the list over in recent years.
Firstly, I don't think 6 years is a short career! The average AFL career is 3 to 4 years. I said solid development in 3 to 4 years. Do you think Stanley is signifcantly different as a footballer now from what he was three years ago? I don't. And maybe you are right, many people don't think you should use draft picks on ruckmen, but that you should trade for them when they are 25 years old. ANd I agree again, we have turned over a large number of players in the past three years, which is exactly what we needed to do - how many did we turn over in the three years before that?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Huge Pelican call.

I think the Pelican is the best list builder we've ever had.

Our club is always broken, i like the way he is trying to put it back together.

oh geez...oh geeez........plugga posted something that i agree 100% with......and my mother in law is 84...... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :D :D :D :D :D

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote: Do you think Stanley is signifcantly different as a footballer now from what he was three years ago? I don't. And maybe you are right, many people don't think you should use draft picks on ruckmen, but that you should trade for them when they are 25 years old.
Yes I do, 4 years ago Rhys had played 9 games of afl football, kicked 5 goals, averaged under 4 marks & 7 touches. If he was having the same output as 3 or 4 years ago he would be de-listed this year, not traded for a first round draft pick.
Someone needs to draft ruckmen or how else would they get into the system.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote: As long as he does his role in our club very well, I don't care if he goes home and tortures kittens.

sheesh...i do...that's usually a sign of a potential serial killer......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.