Fighting for their careers or done for.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

Re: Fighting for their careers or done for.

Given those I believe should be moved on (and there are very particular reasons in regard each player), the response of Saint Lee provided amusement for me also

I just have the view on Geary that he disrupts our defensive structure plus the obvious ploy of leaving him unattended after behinds against to feed on his lack of abilities with the ball are concerning

He plays off his opponent just too much including flying in pack contests leaving us exposed at ground level - then waving his arms around deflecting from where fault actually lies

Critical?

Absolutely

This is the problem when you have a defined small defender whose attribute is said to be closing a player down (exclusively) as Captain

He attempts to impact where he just does not have the skills to do so

Hence we have been a poor side for the length of time we have been

But we are now moving on - led by a President, an Administration and a coaching panel

We have to continue to improve - and we will not improve playing the players I have named, starting with Geary

My opinion

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

'The players idolise Geary.'
'He is the ultimate clubman.'

Ok, but the CLUB is bigger than any player.
Geary is a liability for the reasons given by 'to the top'.
Effort is great, but when a guy has a big negative impact like he does, he has to go.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
To the top
SS Life Member

Just on another matter I have referred to bring the financial circumstances of St Kilda and their accrual over generations, I note the Nine comment that years of inflation in the cost of sports rights is over

This houses with the financial circumstances of media - noting economic distress impacts on Retail, Media then on house prices in order

“In a world where it’s a traditional model where you pay money for rights and then try and sell ads, yes we would say sport’s rights are overvalued”

What is the impact on the AFL - and on St Kilda?

Because adjustment to revenue is the outlook

You could also be excused for concluding that the AFL has a vested interest in those Clubs White the most substantial membership numbers - selling that interest and the numbers to potential advertisers as a selling point for pricing media rights (and there being competition for those Rights, driving the cost of those Rights)

This is the sleeping dog, also impacted by the economic malaise of the Nation

AFL footy is a business model at the end of the day “whether it can continue with many free to air networks losing money on their coverage and pay TV platforms struggling to retain subscribers in the face of Netflix”

And try discontinuing your AFL Membership - they do everything to attempt to retain you

Sign of the times

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote: Thu 01 Aug 2019 10:08pm Why the hate on Brown? We're a better team when he's in the side.
As long as he has a suitable opponent. He is very good against the likes of Hawkins, Jenkins, Brown, Wright, Cox, Lobb and any inexperienced key forward or ruck pinch hitting forward, but he is sorely found out against athletic forwards and teams with a fast, mobile offence.

He absolutely deserves another year, but just because he had a good game against a gorilla doesn't mean he should play against GWS to line up on Jeremy Cameron the next week.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote: Fri 02 Aug 2019 1:08pm
ctqs wrote: Thu 01 Aug 2019 10:08pm Why the hate on Brown? We're a better team when he's in the side.
As long as he has a suitable opponent. He is very good against the likes of Hawkins, Jenkins, Brown, Wright, Cox, Lobb and any inexperienced key forward or ruck pinch hitting forward, but he is sorely found out against athletic forwards and teams with a fast, mobile offence.

He absolutely deserves another year, but just because he had a good game against a gorilla doesn't mean he should play against GWS to line up on Jeremy Cameron the next week.
Totally agree, no hate from me, he's a limited but vital member of our backline. He's the perfect foil for Carlisle and needed as Wilkie, then hopefully Clavarino establish themselves.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Thu 01 Aug 2019 6:37pm These are the players we need to move on from.

Not all will be de-listed/traded ahead of 2020 obviously BUT those who remain will be List Players plying their trade at Sandringham.

Savage, Geary, Webster, McKenzie, Rice, Marsh, Rowe, Armitage (retired), Newnes, Kent, Parker, Hind, Young, Longer and Pierce.

In 2019 ALL of these players have been surpassed by others, including those plying their trade at AFL level because of injury to those in that list who are missing because of injury.

Brave and "role players" does not cut it.

Brave and "role players" is the reason we have been an ordinary side for the last so many seasons.

Time to move on.

What the culling of these players confirms is a change of culture at St Kilda post the Lyon, Watters and Richardson debacles - with excellence now the driver.

The reasons I include Lyon, Watters and Richardson as debacles are different in regards each of them and their tenure.

The President, the administration and Rattan as Coach are driving the change of culture - notwithstanding the financial pressures which maintain.

Those financial pressures will ease (I specifically use the word "ease") with on-field success, so on-field success is not negotiable.

On-field success leads to profile and profile delivers courtesy of prime time exposure, attendances, memberships, sponsorships and St Kilda being a Club players look to represent.
I agree on all except Hind he has something we’ve lacked for years - electric pace and can use it ok he’s a must keep and I know plenty at bombers we’re pissed they missed him.....
The rest...meh..

“Yeah….nah””