The Streak is Over.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Streak is Over.

Time for the knocker-knockers to shut up!
hang on
unfair !!!!

i just joined em

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

always late to the stonings !!

sheeeeeet

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

His (Alan) "weakness" as in strengths/weaknesses/opportunities/threats is that his contribution to coaching a winning side is probably negative at this point in his tenure. Other than an early mantra of apply manic pressure around the ball (other coaches put your hands in the air and say D'oh) I can't remember him articulate what he believes the team's style should be - other than a strong implication forwards in the 50 arc are not a priority; he does not promote emerging talent - circumstance has taken care of that. After six years he carries the baggage of failure, rightly or unfairly; it clings to him. Coincidently with his tenure Saints have not performed well in marque or crunch games. That could be bad luck too. Our percentages seem to suggest he has not grasped the importance of consistently scoring the more than 70 points a game that is required to play finals. That's a clumsy sort of strategic look at his contribution.

Now on a technical level, his "weakness" may be that he doesn't seem to have clue how to stop a run on - 6 goal, 7 goal, 9 goal bunch ( tay oh, tayeeeo, tree quarta time com an me wanna go home)- oppositions only stop when they get exhausted. Running out on the field and shouting "fire" would be more effective than his thousand yard stars from the coaching box/bench/medical room. His selection philosophy is a mystery. I am not suggesting it is wrong as he sees players close at hand put in shocker after shock and is best placed to know if they keep getting picked in the same positions their form will turn around. The weakness here is he doesn't communicate to us fool members why he rewards pitiful form while mouthing the word unacceptable.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I think Richo was probably (I am sorry I shouldn’t use past tense) a conciliatory kind of of coach rather than a dictator. My Dad told me that Bob Hawke, who recently passed and was lauded as one of the greats, was also a kind of leader who delegated and looked for consensus among colleagues rather than , “its my way or the highway” in his kind of leadership. So maybe that is all OK? Hardwick and Bucks, too, even Sheedy, if I remember, took on board other voices. But they started as, ‘my way’, then failed, then accepted help. Richo came in as a long seasoned servant assistant coach and he dutifully inherited his assistants. Remember he initially said, “no thank you” when we approached him, and yet I suspect someone talked him into reconsidering the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. And so he came into a ship on fire, not in an obvious way, but deep in the holds there were smoldering flames and the fire fighters we relied on, Roo, Joey, Fischer, the other Webster, etc., left. Time bomb. We are always selective of course, and we think we really rocked in mid 2017. So timing and context may burn him now. The last quarter of last week is nobody’s business to be talking about, after all. Funnily enough, being 6-7 at this juncture is so much more than being, just 6-7.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
HighettMan
Club Player

Josh Battle wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 2:47pm Yeah right...like this leadership thing just bobbed up in the last few weeks did it? Don't deflect and balame GT or outsiders. The issues with the head coach are of his own doing.

Let's say you are entrusted with the job of rebuilding and you are the head coach of a footy club. Any footy club!! Wouldn't one of your key goals be to teach and empower the next generation of leaders? I would think that if someone with a medium level of intelligence was in charge that they'd have realsied after 1-2 years in the job that leadership is crucial to success.

Now, what would you say if a leader turned around after 5 years and thought he had to all of a sudden act regarding a leadership void? This is what Richo had to say about the players under him;

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95805&p=1742317&hil ... p#p1742286

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95812&p=1742606&hil ... p#p1742597

Who does that after 5 years as their boss? Who blames his employees when he is their leader and it is his responsibility to teach them? He could have moved Roo from the captaincy in 2015 or 2016. He could have been focused on rebuilding rather than trying to sneak into 8th spot on the ladder before the team was ready to challenge for a premiership. He could have been a good leader
Yeah yeah, I get it, you're an expert, you picked all the problems with Alan long ago and why he's holding us back. Using the same self proclaimed expertise on AFL coahes tell us who your pick is for the next coach and how and why he will improve on the incumbent.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
George27
Club Player

SAINT-LEE wrote: Fri 28 Jun 2019 9:04pm I wish Armo had waved the white flag last year and had a grand send off. He's been a damn blunt edge for us driving as hard as he could and a faithful servant. I can't stand to see him diminished.
Well said

Josh Battle
Club Player

HighettMan wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 5:19pm
Josh Battle wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 2:47pm Yeah right...like this leadership thing just bobbed up in the last few weeks did it? Don't deflect and balame GT or outsiders. The issues with the head coach are of his own doing.

Let's say you are entrusted with the job of rebuilding and you are the head coach of a footy club. Any footy club!! Wouldn't one of your key goals be to teach and empower the next generation of leaders? I would think that if someone with a medium level of intelligence was in charge that they'd have realsied after 1-2 years in the job that leadership is crucial to success.

Now, what would you say if a leader turned around after 5 years and thought he had to all of a sudden act regarding a leadership void? This is what Richo had to say about the players under him;

Who does that after 5 years as their boss? Who blames his employees when he is their leader and it is his responsibility to teach them? He could have moved Roo from the captaincy in 2015 or 2016. He could have been focused on rebuilding rather than trying to sneak into 8th spot on the ladder before the team was ready to challenge for a premiership. He could have been a good leader
Yeah yeah, I get it, you're an expert, you picked all the problems with Alan long ago and why he's holding us back. Using the same self proclaimed expertise on AFL coahes tell us who your pick is for the next coach and how and why he will improve on the incumbent.
You are having some issues keeping up today aren't you? My answer is in this thread about 4-5 posts before yours

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98707&start=25#p1801972

freely
SS Hall of Fame

asiu wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 3:12pm
Time for the knocker-knockers to shut up!
hang on
unfair !!!!

i just joined em

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

always late to the stonings !!

sheeeeeet
:D

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Gee, Newnes has to be one of the most vanilla players to achieve any sort of record of acclaim in the history of the game.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
DDC CityWest

King12 wrote: Fri 28 Jun 2019 6:05pm Newnes is out!
Hopefully he regains form and comes back in asap

HighettMan
Club Player

Josh Battle wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 6:05pm
HighettMan wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 5:19pm

You are having some issues keeping up today aren't you? My answer is in this thread about 4-5 posts before yours

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98707&start=25#p1801972
So I re re read the post you provided the link for to find the respose to the question "who your pick for coach is"? These are your comments:

"First and foremost there are a dozen prospects out there who have tonnes more leadership qualities than Cho".

No pick in that statement

If it's going to be Brad Scott then I'd love to see some of his fellow Brisbane Lions team mates join him.

No pick in that statement.

Leppitsch or Caracella come to mind as they have been in the system for a while. See...I am learning...you keep harping on about 'team' and I've come to the conclusion/realisation that it has to be a united coaching team rather than just a very good head coach.

No pick in that statement.

Leppa could take over too if Scott loses the hunger and shows signs of complacency. Both Scott and Leppa have a certain level of aggression that is missing from Cho, but both also possess calmness and a level head. I don't think they'd chop and change in their decision making the way Cho does.

Still no pick in this garble either but some hint of attributes other than leadership you think Alan doesn't have such as agression and decisive decision making that maybe Scott, Leppa and Blake might have. Guesses by you for sure because let's be honest you wouldn't know if any of these guys can tie thier shoes laces but it sounds like they impress you in press conferences.

If Ratten takes over as head coach and Playfair and Lade stay on that could also work. Lade seems to have that element of 'don't f*** with me' and you need aggressive and ruthless pgeople in your team. Every interview I've heard from our players they have sung Ratt's praises. Ratten has been a breath of fresh air to the team and his knowledge and his communication skills will be a huge improvement on Cho

Still no pick. This is just wishy washy non committal garbal that doesn't specify in detail enough to convince me you know what you're on about. However you do further reiterate your belief that aggression is the key attribute missing and maybe a breath of freah air and "knowledge" could be bought to the table by Ratten. Mabye can you unpack the "KNOWLEDGE" Rats can provide as a head coach that will improve on Alan other than communication. Becuase when it comes to communication I'm assuming you mean press conferences and not internal communications which is something you know F*** all about.

I don't believe that Cho has the smarts to be a successful head coach. Nothing against the person or what he has been able to achieve in his professional career, however I reckon it takes a certain level of creativity and intellect. Leppa, Ratts, and Scott all communicate better than Cho

No pick in this but further evidence you only have press conferences to base your fan views on for a coach pick. Although you do hint at some more attributes such as "smarts" and "creativity" and "intellect" as to what you are looking for in our next coach, just not sure how you can assess these qualities from your lounge room.

Ratten doesn't talk in cliches. Leppitsch and Scott don't either. There is no point talking about your players and about each game the same way every time. It is not only uninspiring for fans and for the playing list to be listening to the same excuses year after year, but it highlights that you are part of the problem rather than being part of the solution

So in summary it looks like you have got a bet each way on a few possibilities but nothing concrete and you also don't offer much up as to why you think these possibilities will improve on Alan other than some words like agression, smarts, intellect, fresh air, and my favourite "KNOWLEDGE", which really is ground breaking.

You've probably nailed some of the headings for the job description the committee will use to recruit the next coach but I'm pretty certain there will be more meat on the bone with regards to detailed criteria for attributes required to improve on the incumbent.

Anyone else got pick for our next coach and able to explain how and why he will improve on the incumbent.

Special
Club Player

George27 wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 5:57pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Fri 28 Jun 2019 9:04pm I wish Armo had waved the white flag last year and had a grand send off. He's been a damn blunt edge for us driving as hard as he could and a faithful servant. I can't stand to see him diminished.
Well said
So you think someone on say 250K a year should just say “hey guys I’m crap, I’m going to retire and just do whatever next year for a fraction of the pay!”

I doubt Armo had other clubs lining up for him. Maybe I’m wrong. But please cut this BS of players walking away from the game given the money they are on.

HighettMan
Club Player

Special wrote: Sun 30 Jun 2019 8:37am
George27 wrote: Sat 29 Jun 2019 5:57pm
Well said
So you think someone on say 250K a year should just say “hey guys I’m crap, I’m going to retire and just do whatever next year for a fraction of the pay!”

I doubt Armo had other clubs lining up for him. Maybe I’m wrong. But please cut this BS of players walking away from the game given the money they are on.
You guess a lot wrong don't you. You been following the club long?