We really should pound Carlton.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: We really should pound Carlton.

Linton Lodger wrote: ↑Tue 10 Jul 2018 2:45pm I'm not anti-Hickey, but if he had played against Port, we would have been smashed, 10 goals plus and it would have been over early.

It was a brutal game, finals like pressure and Billy rumbled well enough. If Hickey had played he may very well have been towelled up as he was in the first against Sydney! Ryder is a beast and a bloody skilled beast. Hickey was insipid against Sydney and it takes more than a couple of high possesion games in the VFL to make that up.

Longer will play this week and deserves to.

If he does warrant been dropped in forthcoming weeks, then we need to have a look at Lewis Pierce anyway.
I disagree- if Hickey had have played, we probably would have won..clearly you have a different crystal ball than me :D Longer was ordinary against PA, and did nothing basically in any way or form apart from tapping the ball to the PA mids regularly.

repta
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: ↑Tue 10 Jul 2018 8:05am Carlton's top few experienced players and talented young kids are much better than ours, but we have more competent footsoldiers than them. Their top tier of Cripps, Kruezer, Murphy, Simpson and Curnow x2 is far stronger than ours but they sure do have a lot of incompetent players as well. If we replace ours (especially Wright, Longer, Joyce) with the likes of Hickey, Carlisle and Acres then we're a chance. We've got to play 3 talls forward as well - I would bring Goddard in for McCartin and have him play a similar role; just mark it or bring it to ground and potentially switch with Carlisle

Out: McCartin (inj), Longer, Wright, Joyce, Newnes, Gilbert
In: Marshall, Hickey, Goddard, Carlisle, Acres, Freeman

B: Webster, Austin, Geary
HB: Savage, Carlisle, McKenzie
C: Sinclair, Armitage, Ross
HF: Weller, Marshall, Billings
F: Gresham, Goddard, Membrey

Foll: Hickey, Steven, Steele
Int: Acres, Clark, Dunstan, Freeman
We 'should' beat Carlton, but I cant see where we are going to get our goals.
Carslie is almost a must 'in' for us to be competitive. Membry is no good as Full Forward. Good as a 2 / 3 tall option, Grisham and the small brigade will struggle with the current game plan (kick it long to the fat kid in the goal square) without a focal point. Maybe Goddard can take that role, but has he ever played forward?

After the week Carlton has endured we will be going to beat them.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-09-1 ... tom-hickey

Apparantly the coach and match committee changed their mind on Tom after declaring him the number #1 ruckman at St Kilda at the end of 2016. Tom finished 8th in our Best and Fairest. After a few games in 2017 into the new rule change they were not interested in giving Tom any confidence and publicly justified their change in position on Tom. In early 2017 Richo made public statements which I believe were an indirect criticism of Hickey's game. In Richo's mind Tom was no longer the number #1 ruckman. Great coaching Richo

stonecold
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: ↑Wed 11 Jul 2018 3:50pm http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-09-1 ... tom-hickey

Apparantly the coach and match committee changed their mind on Tom after declaring him the number #1 ruckman at St Kilda at the end of 2016. Tom finished 8th in our Best and Fairest. After a few games in 2017 into the new rule change they were not interested in giving Tom any confidence and publicly justified their change in position on Tom. In early 2017 Richo made public statements which I believe were an indirect criticism of Hickey's game. In Richo's mind Tom was no longer the number #1 ruckman. Great coaching Richo
How long have I been saying this?????

Fair dinkum, finally your catching on, took you a while to catch up Scolly, however, at least you've caught up, some of the 'other's airnt there yet!!!!!

At least you got there!!!!!

Well done!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving πŸ“―πŸ“―πŸ“―πŸ“―πŸ“―
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

I reckon we will get done by the Blues this week. Just have a bad feeling about it and the Blues will be desperate and up and about. We have a few injuries and players in doubt which doesn't help matters.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
saynta
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: ↑Wed 11 Jul 2018 4:50pm I reckon we will get done by the Blues this week. Just have a bad feeling about it and the Blues will be desperate and up and about. We have a few injuries and players in doubt which doesn't help matters.
Nope. Win coming up.

stonecold
SS Life Member

parkeysainter wrote: ↑Wed 11 Jul 2018 4:50pm I reckon we will get done by the Blues this week. Just have a bad feeling about it and the Blues will be desperate and up and about. We have a few injuries and players in doubt which doesn't help matters.
Especially if Hickledik plays!!!!! ;)

He hasn't played in a St.Kilda win for almost two seasons!!!!! ;)

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: ↑Wed 11 Jul 2018 4:51pm
Nope. Win coming up.
If we can beat Melbourne and did ok against Port Adelaide over there then we should rightly win, but I have a gut feeling it won't be easy and a loss is coming.

If we do smash Carlton then they are much, much, much shitter than I thought.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote: ↑Wed 11 Jul 2018 4:52pm

Please SC, no more Hickey or Longer talk or multiple !'s anymore.
πŸ˜πŸ˜†

stonecold
SS Life Member

parkeysainter wrote: ↑Wed 11 Jul 2018 4:56pm

πŸ˜πŸ˜†
I've done the multiple's since I started, won't be changing them!!!!!

Only talk about our ruck stocks in respond to other posters!!!!!

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote: ↑Wed 11 Jul 2018 5:00pm
parkeysainter wrote: ↑Wed 11 Jul 2018 4:56pm

πŸ˜πŸ˜†
I've done the multiple's since I started, won't be changing them!!!!!

Only talk about our ruck stocks in respond to other posters!!!!!
Fair enough Billy L.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

parkeysainter wrote: ↑Wed 11 Jul 2018 4:55pm
saynta wrote: ↑Wed 11 Jul 2018 4:51pm
Nope. Win coming up.
If we can beat Melbourne and did ok against Port Adelaide over there then we should rightly win, but I have a gut feeling it won't be easy and a loss is coming.

If we do smash Carlton then they are much, much, much shitter than I thought.
Did ok against Port? Port had a poor day especially in front of goal and we didn’t capitalise at all. I was there and they were having an off day even gifting us a few goals and they still won by 6 goals.
Basically both team are bad at the moment and I can’t see either team winning but I can see both losing. I will feel better if Carlisle is back so we have one key defender.
My biggest concern is who is kicking our goals on Friday. Skunk is off at present & Marshall hasn’t exactly lit up the score board. Gresh may get a couple but I am concerned as we don’t have a target up forward. In saying that it may mean the mids run the ball into 50 more rather than long bombs and have more shots.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I can't see how we will win?

We have half a team out! And for a team as s*** as ours, that's an incredibly significant issue.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Honest question; do you play Hickey if Carlisle doesn't get up in 48 hours for the match, as our spine looks decimated. No Paddy, no Battle, no Bruce, no Carlisle, no Brown, no Robbo, and maybe, no Acres.
Membrey has been a bit inconsistent this season as well, and I don't want players going down to injuries sustained in the ruck.
In terms of height we are going to struggle anyway. We play Longer in the ruck, yep, no worries there, but he can't play full forward, so we play Marshall there and leave him there as a focal point - reckon this might be a good option as if he doesn't mark the footy, then he will be skillful enough to palm the ball down to Gresh, Billings, Lonie, whoever.
I really think Hickey needs to come in as we are going to really struggle for height around the ground. Goddard can come in at FB, but he's a bit of an unknown quantity at the moment as he hasn't played full game in the seniors for years. White should come in too, but he's not really a key position defender size.
I think they will need to pick Hickey on the bench and bring him on to give Billy a chop out in the ruck and to maybe play up forward for periods in a similar role to the one I suggested for Marshall, so that we can generate a score.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Wed 11 Jul 2018 7:01pm, edited 3 times in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: ↑Wed 11 Jul 2018 5:28pm I can't see how we will win?

We have half a team out! And for a team as s*** as ours, that's an incredibly significant issue.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!