It's only the pre-season BUT......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Re: It's only the pre-season BUT......

Have to agree with con above

Whilst we missed 1 praccy I think what we saw is a reasonable indication of what we'll get this season. Whilst we will improve the most disappointing element was the kicking accuracy. It was deplorable for most of the game and I don't see what that has to do with preseason / lack of footy and matches

Is simply just lack of football skill

#1 Ryder fan
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:We looked like a bloody team that had played just two games for the season! The skill level looked like it was early March and some of the senior players performed like they hadn't played a game in about six months!!! It's just not good enough. Our decision making had me thinking we mustn't have played a game for about three weeks!!! We should be performing better given we're equal with the likes of Hawthorn, West Coast and Fremantle on the ladder at the moment.
What he said.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Beno88 wrote:We looked like a bloody team that had played just two games for the season! The skill level looked like it was early March and some of the senior players performed like they hadn't played a game in about six months!!! It's just not good enough. Our decision making had me thinking we mustn't have played a game for about three weeks!!! We should be performing better given we're equal with the likes of Hawthorn, West Coast and Fremantle on the ladder at the moment.
So it was early March for us but June for the opposition?

Objective view: It was early March for both sides and we were trying. We had a full side picked.

Do you think we were holding back and waiting to flick the switch when the real stuff starts?

Where was this switch in 2013 (16th), 2014 (18th) and 2015 (14th)?

Or have we found a new secret magical switch we are waiting to unleash when the time is right?

Handy Hint: There is no magic switch. What you see is what you get.
Con, it would be a mistake to think that our rebuild started in 2013. I know you didn't suggest that, but I think that there is a bit of a myth that it did. Our rebuild began in earnest in 2014 when we finished last. During the Watters Era we still recruited pretty poorly and are still seeing the effects of this. When Scotty left AR didn't take over the reigns before November so that has put us back too. We have holes to fill, and while we will show improvement at times, we are still fairly and squarely a bottom 4-5 team. Taking all of that into consideration and not playing for weeks before Sunday, I think we actually did okay wirth our endeavour. Luckily for us we still have some old stagers who can play and will mentor the newbies well. Fisher was fantastic Sunday. But you are right; there is no magic switch. So long as we beat Essendon and Carlton twice, Brisbane at Etihad and Melbourne at least once, (and kick 30 goals in a game at some point and win all of those four against Blues and Bombers by 70 points plus) I'll be happy.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I think we have suffered through the whole football dept structures for quite a few years, let alone where the previous president and board thought what direction we were going. I think the coaches Lyon, Watters and probably Richo did not or have not had enough autonomy and were probably over-ruled on a lot of things they wanted to implement in recruitment etc. Lyon just said stick it and took the money and ran, Watters got the knife in the back, and I just hope Richo has the strength to push his style up front without being manipulated.

longtimesaint
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:Have to agree with con above

Whilst we missed 1 praccy I think what we saw is a reasonable indication of what we'll get this season. Whilst we will improve the most disappointing element was the kicking accuracy. It was deplorable for most of the game and I don't see what that has to do with preseason / lack of footy and matches

Is simply just lack of football skill
I disagree as the disposal was far worse than most of last year.
This is due to lack of match fitness and getting to the contest with less time to execute properly.
It was 2 practice matches missed for most of our senior players.

One year will be our year