I'm torn...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: I'm torn...

I want top picks aswell...we aint going to win the flag so let's gear up for a real tilt...I'm getting too old to wait for a flag by being mid stream.

Citywest has a point.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:I thought MODS said they were satisfied Citywest IS a Saints member and they would issue warnings to anybody suggesting otherwise.
I don't agree with much of what he says either, but it is almost becoming a blood-sport on here to jump down his throat and accuse him of trolling before he has even finished typing a post.
As many have said in this thread I prefer winning and let the draft picks take care of themselves, but the possibility of missing out on the next Judd or Fyfe by winning one extra game is debatable.
Deleted
Last edited by saintspremiers on Sun 31 May 2015 10:59pm, edited 2 times in total.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:I want top picks aswell...we aint going to win the flag so let's gear up for a real tilt...I'm getting too old to wait for a flag by being mid stream.

Citywest has a point.
Same here Firey

Look I know we are building something but reality is to genuinely be a flag chance against sides who are simply loaded with top kids over the next few seasons we need to bring in as close to A grade kids as possible. The best way to do this while rebuilding is to maximise your draft options.

I truly see absolutely no benefit in following Richmond and finishing 9-11 each year pretending your gonna magically over haul Hawks and Swans (who get Academy gifts)

I am watching games now purely to see who is/isnt going to be in our next 22 for a flag - THATS IT. After being so close and being feared as a great side (like Dockers are starting to become.....must have a dud coach), I am after that again....not to be a good mid table side.

In short we are and will see patches of talent but my view is if youre bottoming out......do it properly and get great kids in.....I think No1 pick is already gone to Blues...

City West post makes some sense

“Yeah….nah””
Rosco
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:I thought MODS said they were satisfied Citywest IS a Saints member and they would issue warnings to anybody suggesting otherwise.
I don't agree with much of what he says either, but it is almost becoming a blood-sport on here to jump down his throat and accuse him of trolling before he has even finished typing a post.
As many have said in this thread I prefer winning and let the draft picks take care of themselves, but the possibility of missing out on the next Judd or Fyfe by winning one extra game is debatable.
He is a troll. Well if 99% of us a wrong he's a supporter with massive mental issues
The next Fyfe might go at around pick 20 though, like the first one.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think a bit like Big mart people rile at his extreme view points that could be easily seen by some as deliberately antagonising. He is accused of being a troll because his ideas are seen as contradictory to what seems like a benefit to our club. I don't have any problem with what he posts either but I think he might enjoy the theatre of what he writes when it gets a response. A bit like going to church and telling the christians that they should get rid of the nude dude on the sticks and follow a more obvious path to enlightenment.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Neither went in the top 2 and that is the real point. The last clear number one to be best player was rooy in 2000.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
The Fireman wrote:I want top picks aswell...we aint going to win the flag so let's gear up for a real tilt...I'm getting too old to wait for a flag by being mid stream.

Citywest has a point.
Same here Firey

Look I know we are building something but reality is to genuinely be a flag chance against sides who are simply loaded with top kids over the next few seasons we need to bring in as close to A grade kids as possible. The best way to do this while rebuilding is to maximise your draft options.

I truly see absolutely no benefit in following Richmond and finishing 9-11 each year pretending your gonna magically over haul Hawks and Swans (who get Academy gifts)

I am watching games now purely to see who is/isnt going to be in our next 22 for a flag - THATS IT. After being so close and being feared as a great side (like Dockers are starting to become.....must have a dud coach), I am after that again....not to be a good mid table side.

In short we are and will see patches of talent but my view is if youre bottoming out......do it properly and get great kids in.....I think No1 pick is already gone to Blues...

Do you guys understand FA and secondly if we are winning with this side how good will we be with some more top 5 picks. The other option is to be really poor and get no interest from a FA and then get a top 2 pick but because we are really poor that top 2 pick just makes us really ordinary.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

A number of posts in this thread ARE being assessed and once a concensus reached then warnings will be issued where appropriate.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
A number of posts in this thread ARE being assessed and once a concensus reached then warnings will be issued where appropriate.

Gee whiz.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Citywest has a point.
Same here Firey

Do you guys understand FA and secondly if we are winning with this side how good will we be with some more top 5 picks. The other option is to be really poor and get no interest from a FA and then get a top 2 pick but because we are really poor that top 2 pick just makes us really ordinary.
We are 2-3 yrs IMHO from seriously spending big on FA for mine.
We have more than enough time to show as a young side we are coming - we are already starting to
We are bottom dwellers now - lets not pretend cause we beat Lions we are anything other right now when Roo, Joey, Chips et al are still to leave
Point is go bottom hard but not forever - but dont get caught in no mans land pretending this current list is cherry ripe and just needs to attact a FA to challenge GWS in future.....thats delusional.
We still need to bring in A grade kids and the draft is our best chance while we are down.
Does pick 1 guarantee that? no but it does guarantee first choice

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I will be happy with 6 wins, a % above 80 and 4th pick in the draft.
Nice balance .
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 31 May 2015 10:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Citywest has a point.
Same here Firey

We are 2-3 yrs IMHO from seriously spending big on FA for mine.
We have more than enough time to show as a young side we are coming - we are already starting to
We are bottom dwellers now - lets not pretend cause we beat Lions we are anything other right now when Roo, Joey, Chips et al are still to leave
Point is go bottom hard but not forever - but dont get caught in no mans land pretending this current list is cherry ripe and just needs to attact a FA to challenge GWS in future.....thats delusional.
We still need to bring in A grade kids and the draft is our best chance while we are down.
Does pick 1 guarantee that? no but it does guarantee first choice

Agree with everything you said and like you said we are bottom dwellers so we aren't close being caught in no mans land. We also don't want to finish last 2 or 3 years in a row to get the number one pick. No guarantees and no interest from prospective FA.

citywest

LTN16 wrote:My favourite post of chitywest's was when he said that we should have taken someone with class like Jay Kennedy-Harris instead of Jack Billings at pick 3.
Where did I say that LTN16? How about you dig up that post and prove it....Go on!!

citywest

I am so grateful that you posted this whiskers3614. Thirteen years, if my memory serves me correct, that is exactly what happened to St Kilda. I can't remember who we were playing but I remember the player involved like it was yesterday. Wulf hit the post in the dying stages to draw the match. That took us 5 wins and a draw for the year and we missed out on a Priority Pick. I remember clearly at the time saying I hope we win at least another 3 games for that season to make it worthwhile. You guessed it, we finished on 5 and a half wins and no PP.

I can't be bothered checking the draft history on who we missed out on in the 2002 Draft. Is it a stretch to say that Wulf's poster may have cost us at least 2 if not 3 premierships? It's probably drawing a long bow but it's very interesting just looking back.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

how did tanking work for Melbourne? Really developed a winning culture there didn't it? Also got them a ready made premiership team too. How diid tanking go for Carlton?
Surely when you are developing a young team the first thing you teach them is play hard, be accountable and do everything to win. The minute you make it ok to lose you are lost.
We will still finish bottom four or five which will still be a great pick plus if we can build confidence in the young group we will come on leaps and bounds next year

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I will be happy with 6 wins, a % above 80 and 4th pick in the draft.
Nice balance .
Yep would do nicely

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Fyffe...Round 2, Pick #20 2009 National Draft

Good drafting is all about gettting many of your picks correct....and nothing at all about relying on a No1 pick to later win your Grand Finals.
Our drafting has been good the last two years because most of our picks by and large have been good ones, including some excellent rookie picks.

The Blues sold the farm to get Judd, and all that gained them was years of being a middling club.

Success comes from instilling the right culture and self belief. Coaching to deliberately lose end badlys. Just look at how long Melbourne stayed in the wilderness.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I agree with sRs, even the bolded bits

stjay
Club Player

The guy is just putting out there a view which is understandable but it is a loser's mentality and the moral hazard that comes with rewarding teams for poor performance. Not suggesting struggling sides shouldn't get assistance but the risk is wanting to lose to get first crack at the talent pool.
We only get one first round pick and we are going to get a good player - assuming we finish somewhere close to where we are now and Trout & Ameet continue to get it right.
We want success and we shouldn't be afraid of it coming early - it's all good.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I think good pre match entertainment at Etihad would be watching Citywest being torn.............

Apart by lions, tigers or Saints supporters who get more enjoyment by seeing their team competing and winning rather than losing an speculating who they might draft from finshing bottom of the ladder!

Citywest, do us all a favour and <edited as content is both offensive and insensitive to other forum members>

<WARNING ISSUED FOR ABUSE>

Saint supporter since '62
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

I can see Citywests point of view, but I'd always take a win over a draft pick.

He did start his post with "My heart says I want St Kilda to win today".
He didn't say we should tank.
He just said losing may be of benefit in the long run.

I don't get all the hysteria.

Teflon has been saying the same thing for a while. People just react because it's Citywest.

stjay
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote:I think good pre match entertainment at Etihad would be watching Citywest being torn.............

Apart by lions, tigers or Saints supporters who get more enjoyment by seeing their team competing and winning rather than losing an speculating who they might draft from finshing bottom of the ladder!

Citywest, do us all a favour and grab the nearest packet of pills and swallow them. Hopefully, you have a packet of Viagra on your bedside table and you choke on the outcome.
Bit harsh surely.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Well we now know what citywest looks like so if anyone sees her on the street approach with caution Image

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

citywest wrote:
LTN16 wrote:My favourite post of chitywest's was when he said that we should have taken someone with class like Jay Kennedy-Harris instead of Jack Billings at pick 3.
Where did I say that LTN16? How about you dig up that post and prove it....Go on!!
Remember also saying that we were guaranteed to take Petracca with pick 1 because Richo was good family friends of there's? But let me guess.. you've deleted that post too after you made yourself look like an idiot again..

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:Fyffe...Round 2, Pick #20 2009 National Draft

Good drafting is all about gettting many of your picks correct....and nothing at all about relying on a No1 pick to later win your Grand Finals.
Our drafting has been good the last two years because most of our picks by and large have been good ones, including some excellent rookie picks.

The Blues sold the farm to get Judd, and all that gained them was years of being a middling club.

Success comes from instilling the right culture and self belief. Coaching to deliberately lose end badlys. Just look at how long Melbourne stayed in the wilderness.
Smashed out of the park sR.

So true. And Judd was a #3 pick not a number one.

How have we gone with McKenzie, Lonie, and Bruce just to name a few no first round dps?

Cant understand how anyone would want to see the Saints lose. Some very strange supporters.

You guys hoping to see the Saints as losers dont have to worry though, plenty of losses around the corner. Check out our last 6 matches.

You guys will be over the moon.

You are garbage - Enough said