New midfielder

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: New midfielder

FQF wrote:We call it wing but it's hardly the prototype winger role that Roo is playing. I view it as a very, very high CHF who roams all over the ground taking marks and connecting defence to attack.
I think why that can work now is that Bruce has become a genuine focal point on the fwd line. You always need that "get out kick" guy on the fwd line and its always had to have been Roo. But Bruce is doing a great job of leading, hitting packs and making sure the ball at least comes to ground to give our guys a chance to press up and lock it in our fwd line. And Hickey's height means they tallest defender plays on him and Hickey leads him away from the centre of the ground where they like to be that third man cover spoiler opening up space. Even Lonie is great little target man who doesn't get beaten much in contests and puts on great fwd pressure.

All that's lets Rooey be that really valuable transition player higher and wider up the ground. How great is it to see the spread of goal kickers - Billings, Bruce, Sinclair, Lonie, Dunstan, Weller, Hickey. That's what makes a team unstoppable. I think it could even be a refreshing change of role for Rooey (although fwds always are addicted to goal kicking).