Saints to appoint Wayne Hughes to Recruiting Department

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Re: Saints to appoint Wayne Hughes to Recruiting Department

Worst appintment since Watters - Hughes is a muppet!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Smells like a 'job for a mate'. This bloke isnt in any danger of splitting the atom.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Cannot fathom this move at all.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Austinnn
Club Player

He gets the benefit of my doubt, but hardly convincing. And I'm reserving judgement on trout and his team too by the way: the videos we watched of the 'brains trust' at work during the lead up to the draft damned them in my eyes, but I'm prepared to accept they just showed us the harmless stuff.

The proof will be in the pudding so I'll give them a few years grace and if the results are poor, then I'll scream for a top down recast.

I'll say this though: I'd rather have some geeky awkward schemer like the Pelican in control of our destiny than a bonehead ex-player who just brings in good blokes and battlers.

And also this: almost every decision that has been made since Footy First ousted the Buttress regime strips more and more confidence in the current board members, particularly Thompson and Burke, who while being great servants of the club and very handy players, have not really covered themselves in glory in executive roles.

I am deeply suspicious of giving footy players executive roles in the first place, romantic though it is. Those roles should be filled by smart people first, and though Burke and Thompson are comparatively a lot smarter than the average player of their era, would they be viable candidates if we considered them without their playing history? Time to be professional.

Yes I know that they don't run the shop, but they do approve appointmens and in some cases decisions don't they? Are the people they appoint the shrewdest operators or just good blokes who sound like they know what they're talking about and have good standing in the old boys network? Time will tell. Hopefully Summers, Finnis, Bains, Trout, Hughes, Sexton, and Richardson are good enough to get us where we need to go. Anyone care to give their ratings on each of those guys, based on results and suspicions?

BTW, what is the Pelican doing now? Weaving his magic at one our rival clubs, or something totally different?

EDIT: I'm unconvinced about Thompson and Burke, but perhaps its harsh to say they haven't covered themselves in glory. I meant the jury is out. Since Finnis has come in we seem to be a bit more pro, and for the last few years the different depts have improved, some of our decisions have been good.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Give the guy a chance. I'm sure there is a reason they see him as a decent candidate.