Paige Cardona latest phantom draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paige Cardona latest phantom draft

Would rather read Emma Quales phantom draft.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Would rather read Emma Quales phantom draft.
Why?
Emma got her start writing the Bombers internal newsletter.
She does a great job but I think there is room for both.
Not sure why everything has to be one or the other.
The whole world gets reduced to binary on this forum.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Why?
because she has the runs on the board. That takes a few years to earn. I'm still wondering about the huge trade the Saints were going to make?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Why?
because she has the runs on the board. That takes a few years to earn. I'm still wondering about the huge trade the Saints were going to make?

I would argue Paige has the runs on the board re the draft.

The draft and trade are entirely separate things.
In any case it was only a tweet - not an article.

Anyway I think the world is big enough for both of them. I didnt know there was a quota.

If someone posts a Jake Niall article on any given topic is your immediate response 'Id rather read a Rohan Connolly article'. Same logic applies.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers suggests we would not be able to handle an aboriginal player from W.A. We handled Nicky for over 260 games, and he was from W.A.
But personally I would rather we picked up Cockatoo.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Laverde sounds impressive. Maybe we should pick him up instead.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Cant wait for the draft.
All the bitterness,disappointment and sniping from 2014 will fall away and hope of spring and 2015 will take over.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Cant wait for the draft.
All the bitterness,disappointment and sniping from 2014 will fall away and hope of spring and 2015 will take over.
i give it til round 3.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I'm a little bit jolted by the hatred towards the young lady doing her best; I don't see anyone here creating a decent phantom draft. Until then, she deserves credit for putting together something we can all have a look at and ponder.

I don't think this year's draft has anywhere near the depth of last year. Pick 1 is a fair way in front of the rest; as Boyd was last year, but he had to be a KPP freak to see off a mighty field.

I feel the depth really thins out quickly. Last year, we could have picked any of Hartung, Taylor and Dumont with our two picks of this year. We won't get that quality this year.

We should aim to snatch the best two sliders. Other clubs are getting too cute - just as we used to be - by trying to reinvent the wheel. (You don't need to get Brad Howard when the following picks include Dawes, Mackenzie, Petterd and Tippett).

Fortunately, this strategy served us well last year with Acres and Dunstan, two players projected to go much earlier in the piece. I actually wanted us to grab Taylor at that pick, but I'm still happy that Acres will develop into a fine player.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:draft combing results

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/ ... ft-combine
Gotta say I'm warming to this guy Coackatoo and Caleb Daniel

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

What about Nathan Drummond??

He appears in 9 of the 10 tests listed

Pick 46: Western Bulldogs – Nathan Drummond

Position: Utility
Height: 181 cm, Weight: 85 kg, DOB: 19/01/1995
Club: Murray Bushrangers
Projected draft range: 50-rookie
Plays like: Bob Murphy

Drummond is a really exciting prospect that’s gone from just a forward last season to a bonafide utility type, blessed with elite speed and endurance and a big natural leap. The Vic Country utility is a big-stage player, with his 30 disposals and a goal against Sandringham in the elimination final his finest display for the year. Drummond’s strengths lay in his speed, his running capacity and his thumping kick which easily penetrates over 50 metres. The top-age prospect this year has become more of a well-rounded player, being able to play through the midfield, off half back and forward where his marking attributes and long kick have been highlighted. I really rate his strong attack at the ball and his agility to lend regular surges through the midfield. He is explosive, has x-factor in his game while he’s also bit of a spare-parts man: he can play several roles as required on the day. He doesn’t necessarily excel in one position, but he’s a handy utility that is a side’s reliable fix-it option. An athletic monster, Drummond came inside the top 10 for every physical test at the combine.

#51 Collingwood - Nathan Drummond (VIC – Mid/Def)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 19/01/1995
Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 40-rookie
Profile: Drummond is a super explosive midfielder/defender with an incredible hunger for the contest. He’s one of the big improvers as an overager and someone who really has some ability. Drummond in the past has shown that he can break the lines off a back flank and beat his man 1v1 but this year he’s showing his ability more as a midfielder with his attack on the ball and tackling a real highlight. He attacks the ball at pace and goes in as hard as anyone and he really utilises his quickness and strength to tackle with ferocity. He’s linking up well around the field and still continuing to break the lines and take the game on. He’s also showing that he’s hitting the scoreboard frequently which is really encouraging. The one weakness for Drummond is his footskills which can let him down but if he can clean that up then he looks like a potentially really good get.

Emma Quayle - Nathan Drummond (Murray Bushrangers)

AFL biography: Tough, inside medium midfielder with elite speed/endurance combination. Has had excellent TAC Cup year after being injured in 2013. Playing as a 19-year-old he averaged 15 disposals, four marks and six tackles for Vic Country in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Good leap and overhead mark for his size.

Lee Fraser, Murray Bushrangers: "Nathan was at school in Melbourne last year so he's basically missed out on the draft and come back with an AFL attitude. He's super professional. We challenged him early on in the year to work on his contested footy and he's gone into the centre square and won a lot of it for us. His defensive attitude has been outstanding. He has a 15 beep and a sub three second 20 metre sprint and he's starting to use those qualities in his game."

So Pick 41 sounds about right - super dedicated, a mid who can win his own ball and can also spread quickly - seen a few highlights and his kicking is ok - if he is that dedicated he can fix it - we could do worse!!

Any other takers???

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saint6709
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:What about Nathan Drummond??

He appears in 9 of the 10 tests listed

Pick 46: Western Bulldogs – Nathan Drummond

Position: Utility
Height: 181 cm, Weight: 85 kg, DOB: 19/01/1995
Club: Murray Bushrangers
Projected draft range: 50-rookie
Plays like: Bob Murphy

Drummond is a really exciting prospect that’s gone from just a forward last season to a bonafide utility type, blessed with elite speed and endurance and a big natural leap. The Vic Country utility is a big-stage player, with his 30 disposals and a goal against Sandringham in the elimination final his finest display for the year. Drummond’s strengths lay in his speed, his running capacity and his thumping kick which easily penetrates over 50 metres. The top-age prospect this year has become more of a well-rounded player, being able to play through the midfield, off half back and forward where his marking attributes and long kick have been highlighted. I really rate his strong attack at the ball and his agility to lend regular surges through the midfield. He is explosive, has x-factor in his game while he’s also bit of a spare-parts man: he can play several roles as required on the day. He doesn’t necessarily excel in one position, but he’s a handy utility that is a side’s reliable fix-it option. An athletic monster, Drummond came inside the top 10 for every physical test at the combine.

#51 Collingwood - Nathan Drummond (VIC – Mid/Def)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 19/01/1995
Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 40-rookie
Profile: Drummond is a super explosive midfielder/defender with an incredible hunger for the contest. He’s one of the big improvers as an overager and someone who really has some ability. Drummond in the past has shown that he can break the lines off a back flank and beat his man 1v1 but this year he’s showing his ability more as a midfielder with his attack on the ball and tackling a real highlight. He attacks the ball at pace and goes in as hard as anyone and he really utilises his quickness and strength to tackle with ferocity. He’s linking up well around the field and still continuing to break the lines and take the game on. He’s also showing that he’s hitting the scoreboard frequently which is really encouraging. The one weakness for Drummond is his footskills which can let him down but if he can clean that up then he looks like a potentially really good get.

Emma Quayle - Nathan Drummond (Murray Bushrangers)

AFL biography: Tough, inside medium midfielder with elite speed/endurance combination. Has had excellent TAC Cup year after being injured in 2013. Playing as a 19-year-old he averaged 15 disposals, four marks and six tackles for Vic Country in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Good leap and overhead mark for his size.

Lee Fraser, Murray Bushrangers: "Nathan was at school in Melbourne last year so he's basically missed out on the draft and come back with an AFL attitude. He's super professional. We challenged him early on in the year to work on his contested footy and he's gone into the centre square and won a lot of it for us. His defensive attitude has been outstanding. He has a 15 beep and a sub three second 20 metre sprint and he's starting to use those qualities in his game."

So Pick 41 sounds about right - super dedicated, a mid who can win his own ball and can also spread quickly - seen a few highlights and his kicking is ok - if he is that dedicated he can fix it - we could do worse!!

Any other takers???
If you were picking on the tests alone 41 would be a steal

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Why not read both or are you above Paige because she isn't a writer for The Age?

During the football season Paige spends her weekends travelling between TAC Cup games, watches many of them, she also interviews players as part of her radio show and draft articles and along the way collects statistics.

Paige is also an associate with many recruiters from AFL clubs as well as with Emma Quayle. She is a well respected watcher of junior football. Her overall draft analysis is the best in the country.

Paige doesn't get quite the intimate knowledge Emma gets in regards to which clubs are favouring certain junior players come draft because she doesn't have quite the same contacts at clubs and obviously throughout the media that Emma has however her knowledge and analysis is arguably more accurate.

Paige is extremely dedicated and trying to get a start in recruitment. Being a female in a mans game makes it even more difficult although she is doing a fantastic job and I would be surprised if she doesn't make it one day.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Why not read both or are you above Paige because she isn't a writer for The Age?

During the football season Paige spends her weekends travelling between TAC Cup games, watches many of them, she also interviews players as part of her radio show and draft articles and along the way collects statistics.

Paige is also an associate with many recruiters from AFL clubs as well as with Emma Quayle. She is a well respected watcher of junior football. Her overall draft analysis is the best in the country.

Paige doesn't get quite the intimate knowledge Emma gets in regards to which clubs are favouring certain junior players come draft because she doesn't have quite the same contacts at clubs and obviously throughout the media that Emma has however her knowledge and analysis is arguably more accurate.

Paige is extremely dedicated and trying to get a start in recruitment. Being a female in a mans game makes it even more difficult although she is doing a fantastic job and I would be surprised if she doesn't make it one day.
i personally enjoy reading her summaries...i think she's great...full stop....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Agree Stinger. Both are great reads. The tall poppy syndrome on this forum never ceases to amaze.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Considering most Recruitment Managers don't know who they're going to take (beyond the first few picks) it's not realistic to expect people such as PC to know.

It's just a bit of fun, and for those of us who enjoy our footy all year round, usually a very interesting read.

Kudos to those who bother to analyse the talent and to write these things up.