What's the Brions secret?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: What's the Brions secret?

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
bergholt wrote:15% more wins? That's a very misleading way to look at it!
How so? numbers don't lie.
People who say "numbers don't lie" have presumably never had a job working with numbers. Give me half an hour and I can find "numbers" to support whatever conclusion you want.

Regardless of that, you're just wrong. If you've got a 10% chance of winning something and I've got a 5% chance, that means you're twice as likely to win as I am. 100% more chance, not "5% more chance". Same applies here.
I work with numbers on a daily basis, admittedly I get things wrong but in this case I think I'm right in terms of the statement made by P66.

If we are talking wins only then the Lions have only 57% more than us. He's getting things confused with standard lengths of PVC pipes.

My god CM you just are failing badly. WB have won 75% more games than us. Stop talking please. You agreed with 15% before.
If a team had 7 wins and and that represents 100%... or say one whole then does the following make sense.

4/7 = 57%

100% - 57% .= 43% more wins.

Maybe we both had it wrong.

CM you just continue to fail. I said at the start that Brisbane and the WB had won 75% more games than us and you then said my maths was poor. Well the figure I quoted is correct what ever way you are trying to spin it. We have won 57% less games than the WB and Brisbane. Surely you are getting it now. 43% more wins. What are you on about. Just admit you are wrong as everyone has suggested. Its ok to admit wrong.
Gee I bet they don't get you to work out the stats at Ormond...I don't think I'm wrong...I think you aren't as good at maths as you like to claim. 75%,,,,that's hilarious

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Lions have ben rebuilding since they lost the bulk of their GF squads from the early 2000s. They have started to show something finally more than a secret to winning. They lost a lot of the very young guys who weren't getting games yet. Port Adelaide did similar- bottomed out and now are coming back up. Brissy just lost the future generation not anyone dominating their playing list.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote: If a team had 7 wins and and that represents 100%... or say one whole then does the following make sense.

4/7 = 57%

CM you just continue to fail. I said at the start that Brisbane and the WB had won 75% more games than us and you then said my maths was poor. Well the figure I quoted is correct what ever way you are trying to spin it. We have won 57% less games than the WB and Brisbane. Surely you are getting it now. 43% more wins. What are you on about. Just admit you are wrong as everyone has suggested. Its ok to admit wrong.
Gee I bet they don't get you to work out the stats at Ormond...I don't think I'm wrong...I think you aren't as good at maths as you like to claim. 75%,,,,that's hilarious

You have been told by everyone who has commented that the figure is 75%. You are completely wrong. You continue to make yourself look silly. I have and others have explained its 75% more wins than us. YOU ARE WRONG and saying you arent doesnt make it right. Please go back to school now. Not one figure you have mentioned has been right. Now explain why 75% is hilarious. Its the correct figure and its not a very funny figure.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote: If a team had 7 wins and and that represents 100%... or say one whole then does the following make sense.

4/7 = 57%

You have been told by everyone who has commented that the figure is 75%. You are completely wrong. You continue to make yourself look silly. I have and others have explained its 75% more wins than us. YOU ARE WRONG and saying you arent doesnt make it right. Please go back to school now. Not one figure you have mentioned has been right. Now explain why 75% is hilarious. Its the correct figure and its not a very funny figure.
You are lying that everyone agrees with 75%, just went back and had a look and it would appear that there are some that agree that the way you are expressing your numbers are misleading. I think that you probably need to do some revision on ratios, percentages and fractions. And then have a think about your expressions. There are a few ways of expressing these figures BTW. Here's another example:

If you accept that you are expressing number of wins accumulated and not number of wins versus games played alone then there are a couple of ways of expressing the win ratio, not including the incorrect way you are expressing the wins. For example...

Do you add 7 plus 4 which is the total number of wins between the sides and say that 7/11 and 4/11 which would be 64% and 36% giving a differential of 28%.

Or do you say that 7 wins is 100% and represent 7/7 and 4/7 which would be 100% and 57% giving a differential of 43%.

Your expression of the numbers is where I think you are going wrong, i.e. claiming that they have won 75% more games than us. Looking at it another way means that if you claim that they have won 75% more games means that we have only won 25% of the total wins between the sides and clearly that is not the case.

So as I say I'm not good at maths but I think your expression of the numbers is misleading. IMO there is a few ways to express the numbers and the few examples I have given are a better representation of the differences between the side. Brisbane is not a 75% better side than us.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I really hope you're trolling, Cairnsman.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The next Mensa conference is in November, let's go through the figures in person then.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:We are probably 10% into building our next good team.

Good post.

But I think we are more than 10% there.

But what we really lack is enough new cream,...enough new guns. We are filling out nicely with next-gen "support" players, but great teams have stars at the top. In our heyday we had 5-7 stars.

It is going to take at least several years to get enough new guns. In particular our midfield is way too bare of genuine guns.

Roberton Delany Geary
Savage GUN Webster
GUN Dunstan GUN
Bruce Stanley GUN (Petracca)
Xxxx GUN Billings

Hickey
Armo
Steven

Gilbert Acres Newnes Weller

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:The next Mensa conference is in November
Is Hirdy being paid to go to that also?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

4/7 = 57%

You are lying that everyone agrees with 75%, just went back and had a look and it would appear that there are some that agree that the way you are expressing your numbers are misleading. I think that you probably need to do some revision on ratios, percentages and fractions. And then have a think about your expressions. There are a few ways of expressing these figures BTW. Here's another example:

If you accept that you are expressing number of wins accumulated and not number of wins versus games played alone then there are a couple of ways of expressing the win ratio, not including the incorrect way you are expressing the wins. For example...

Do you add 7 plus 4 which is the total number of wins between the sides and say that 7/11 and 4/11 which would be 64% and 36% giving a differential of 28%.

Or do you say that 7 wins is 100% and represent 7/7 and 4/7 which would be 100% and 57% giving a differential of 43%.

Your expression of the numbers is where I think you are going wrong, i.e. claiming that they have won 75% more games than us. Looking at it another way means that if you claim that they have won 75% more games means that we have only won 25% of the total wins between the sides and clearly that is not the case.

So as I say I'm not good at maths but I think your expression of the numbers is misleading. IMO there is a few ways to express the numbers and the few examples I have given are a better representation of the differences between the side. Brisbane is not a 75% better side than us.

My god CM you really have lost it. My statement was clear. The WB and brisbane have won 75% more games than us. Its a very simple and correct statement. All the other stuff you are mentioning wasnt mentioned by me when you said my maths was poor. My maths was 100% correct and every single person knows that statement is correct. You are now mentioning other stuff to try and prove something that isnt relevant to my initial statement. And they have won 75% more games than us. There is no other way it can be put. I dont even know what you are on about with the 25% number. You do realise you can have a figure above 100% surely. Did you know that Sydney and Geelong have won 300% more games than us?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I dont even know what you are on about with the 25% number.
Maybe read chapter 9 of a book written by Steven Strogatz to help you open your mind.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Maybe read chapter 9 of a book written by Steven Strogatz to help you open your mind.

Is that humour because you are clearly WRONG which you understand means not right. Did you read how many wins Sydney and geelong had percentage wise over us. Yep its way over 100% because it is. Why are you even discussing this when people have told you that you are clearly wrong on this.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Is that humour because you are clearly WRONG which you understand means not right. Did you read how many wins Sydney and geelong had percentage wise over us. Yep its way over 100% because it is. Why are you even discussing this when people have told you that you are clearly wrong on this.
Maybe think about the problem like dividing up a cake...have you got any butcher paper and crayons handy

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Maybe think about the problem like dividing up a cake...have you got any butcher paper and crayons handy
It must be cold and lonely up on that pedestal you're on! :D

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

It must be cold and lonely up on that pedestal you're on! :D
It's actually a Rubics cube.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Maybe think about the problem like dividing up a cake...have you got any butcher paper and crayons handy

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

A whole cake is 100% and parts of it are another percentage. Unfortunately this has nothing to do with that. I notice you havent commented on Sydney and geelong having 300% more wins than us. Did you really do maths at school? And if so what was the school. I need to make sure no one sends their kids there.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

4/7 = 57%

Dear God!!! I cannot cope with this. P66 said they had won 75% more games than us. We have won 4 games, they have won seven. That is 3 more games than us, who have won 4 games. Three expressed as a percentage of four, is 75% !! That is year 7 stuff. Stop arguing about it when you are wrong. He is correct. It is not that complex. It is a different statement to "what number of games have we won, expressed as a percentage of Brisbane's wins?" The answer to that is 57%. They are two different statements, and both are correct. Stop worrying about arguing and worry about making sure you understand what the other poster is saying.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote: Dear God!!! I cannot cope with this. P66 said they had won 75% more games than us. We have won 4 games, they have won seven. That is 3 more games than us, who have won 4 games. Three expressed as a percentage of four, is 75% !! That is year 7 stuff. Stop arguing about it when you are wrong. He is correct. It is not that complex. It is a different statement to "what number of games have we won, expressed as a percentage of Brisbane's wins?" The answer to that is 57%. They are two different statements, and both are correct. Stop worrying about arguing and worry about making sure you understand what the other poster is saying.
The percentage of this response that should be considered to be accurate can be expressed as 100 8-)

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

A whole cake is 100% and parts of it are another percentage. Unfortunately this has nothing to do with that. I notice you havent commented on Sydney and geelong having 300% more wins than us. Did you really do maths at school? And if so what was the school. I need to make sure no one sends their kids there.
Not sure why it maters but I learnt most of this stuff at Ormond East Primary School...probably not very well but to answer your question it is 60% differential between us and the Swans and Cats...maybe try drawing a picture of a cake. Think about the difference between 4/20 and 16/20 as a clue.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Not sure why it maters but I learnt most of this stuff at Ormond East Primary School...probably not very well but to answer your question it is 60% differential between us and the Swans and Cats...maybe try drawing a picture of a cake. Think about the difference between 4/20 and 16/20 as a clue.

I feel sick. I went to Ormond East as well but I did maths at primary school. I thought you had to at primary school but obviously not. The question i asked was simple. Have geelong and Sydney won 300% more games than us? Not sure what you are on about but if you keep mentioing cakes you will end up very fat.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
True Believer wrote: Dear God!!! I cannot cope with this. P66 said they had won 75% more games than us. We have won 4 games, they have won seven. That is 3 more games than us, who have won 4 games. Three expressed as a percentage of four, is 75% !! That is year 7 stuff. Stop arguing about it when you are wrong. He is correct. It is not that complex. It is a different statement to "what number of games have we won, expressed as a percentage of Brisbane's wins?" The answer to that is 57%. They are two different statements, and both are correct. Stop worrying about arguing and worry about making sure you understand what the other poster is saying.
The percentage of this response that should be considered to be accurate can be expressed as 100 8-)
Ok so if I said that the lions had won 75% more games than us but we had won five games...how many games would the Lions have won?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

I feel sick. I went to Ormond East as well but I did maths at primary school. I thought you had to at primary school but obviously not. The question i asked was simple. Have geelong and Sydney won 300% more games than us? Not sure what you are on about but if you keep mentioing cakes you will end up very fat.
We could have been in the same class...maybe you didn't pay attention mych.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Ok so if I said that the lions had won 75% more games than us but we had won five games...how many games would the Lions have won?

That isnt possible but the answer is 8.75.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

We could have been in the same class...maybe you didn't pay attention mych.

Did you miss out on English as well. i was house captain of Wilson in 1972.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

That isnt possible but the answer is 8.75.
Yep so that should help to shed some light on your over simplification in how you viewed the numbers/wins, a very very common mistake and sometimes it comes down to understanding relationships between numbers and not just the numbers themselves. Don't worry though this particular type of problem I am led to believe is misunderstood more often than not and that's why I suggested you read chapter 9 of Steven Strogatz book. Like I say I'm hopeless at maths as are most of us but Strogatz is worth reading if you enjoy the subject.

By the way I left Ormond East Primary before you become house captain but it sounds like they must have dropped the selection criteria after I left.