We probably won't get the No.1 Pick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: We probably won't get the No.1 Pick

dragit wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
sainters85 wrote:
dragit wrote:You don't rate billings?
I do but he was playing in a really uncompetitive team until the freo game, his only highlights are from the games that we were competitive so we'll have to wait and see in the future, he'll probably become a good mid instead of fwd
won his rising star nomination in a 5 goal lose to WCE
Yes it's unusual that a saints fan would rate Kelly, Aish & Bontempelli as the best of the top 10 ahead of Billings.

Billings playing in the worst side is even or ahead on most meaningful stats… tackles is the only area he is down.

Below doesn't show disp efficiency of 70% and 0.8 goal assists per match… well ahead of the others.

Dunstan would have most covered stats wise

Bont seems to get a higher rating by most because of the highlight of that goal.........

saint4life
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan

2014 Statistical Rankings
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Total Inside 50s Ranked 10th among rising stars in Total Goal Assists
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Total Kicks Ranked 1st among rising stars in Total Handballs
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Disposals Ranked 8th among rising stars in Total Goals
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Tackles Ranked 10th among rising stars in Total Hitouts
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Supercoach Score Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total AFL Fantasy Score
Ranked 1st among rising stars in Total Contested Possessions Ranked 5th among rising stars in Total Uncontested Possessions
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Effective Disposals Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Clangers
Ranked 1st among rising stars in Total Clearances Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Bounces
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Kicks Per Game Ranked 1st among rising stars in Handballs Per Game
Ranked 1st among rising stars in Disposals Per Game Ranked 7th among rising stars in Tackles Per Game
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Supercoach Score Per Game Ranked 1st among rising stars in AFL Fantasy Score Per Game
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Contested Possessions Per Game Ranked 4th among rising stars in Uncontested Possessions Per Game
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Effective Disposals Per Game Ranked 5th among rising stars in Clangers Per Game
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Clearances Per Game Ranked 5th among rising stars in Bounces Per Game

saint4life
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely chook, but out of the top 10 picks... Billings is holding his own at this stage.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Absolutely chook, but out of the top 10 picks... Billings is holding his own at this stage.
I am coming from the Rising star award point of view

Bont is odds on

BUT

DUNSTAN on stats should be very hard to beat.....................but lacks flair

BONT...............has it

IS it about this year or where the rising star might be!!

saint4life
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Think we're a long way from getting off the bottom just yet. Great win against Freo, but Brisbane are now a game and percentage - a ten goal win worth - in front of us. Melbourne have a real chance this week and play GWS again. Their form has been decent of late. GWS also play Brisbane and would be some sort of chance against them.
I think we are a real chance to beat the Suns, but would struggle realistically against the Doggies I think. In my footy going career we have only beaten Richmond 5 times at the G, plus 3 draws(!) so think they may get us there (or we may draw :) )
No chance against Sydney at the SCG (could be a hundred point drubbing robbing us of percentage) or Adelaide. Maybe one more win and that's it for the season. 5 wins - stone motherless last.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

WOW! as good as that?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Don't forget the Time on Ground stat!!! Dunstan has played the least, yet has more stats.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Think we're a long way from getting off the bottom just yet. Great win against Freo, but Brisbane are now a game and percentage - a ten goal win worth - in front of us. Melbourne have a real chance this week and play GWS again. Their form has been decent of late. GWS also play Brisbane and would be some sort of chance against them.
I think we are a real chance to beat the Suns, but would struggle realistically against the Doggies I think. In my footy going career we have only beaten Richmond 5 times at the G, plus 3 draws(!) so think they may get us there (or we may draw :) )
No chance against Sydney at the SCG (could be a hundred point drubbing robbing us of percentage) or Adelaide. Maybe one more win and that's it for the season. 5 wins - stone motherless last.
I take it back - The game against the Bullies has been nominated as the Lenny Hayes Memorial Match - we will win that one too. 6 wins and (maybe) second last.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

We will win the last four games.

Sydney, Lenny's last game in his home town
Dogs, Lenny's last home game
Tigers, Lenny's last game in Melbourne
Crows, Lenny's last game

And we will beat the Suns because they're rubbish.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
sainters85
Club Player

We'll win another 2 or possibly 3..
We'll beat gold coast
We'll beat bulldogs
Might be adelaide, lennys last game

dragit
Saintsational Legend

sainters85 wrote:We'll win another 2 or possibly 3..
We'll beat gold coast
We'll beat bulldogs
Gold coast and Adelaide have won twice as many games as us for a reason, and the Dogs have been much more competitive than us for most of the year.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

We might beat the Suns, and GWS may not win another game. If that's the case we finish 2nd last, and get the 2nd pick in the draft. Pick 2 & probably pick 20. Pelchan will probably trade out a player to get another early pick. It would be good to get 3 top 20 picks. Alternately, he may trade out a player + pick 20 for a selection in the top 6 or 7.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Could beat the Suns - they will be fired up though. Without Ablett the Suns are a bit like us when Harvey or Lockett were out; really vulnerable. Belief would be down. Maybe the Bulldogs if we play on pure emotion and can sustain it for a whole match.
Adelaide - no chance, same with Sydney, Richmond at the G highly unlikely. We have never done fantastically well against them there in my time - apart from 2 periods in the early 90s and late 2000s.
We will definitely win one and maybe 2 games. Probably second last.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:We might beat the Suns, and GWS may not win another game. If that's the case we finish 2nd last, and get the 2nd pick in the draft. Pick 2 & probably pick 20. Pelchan will probably trade out a player to get another early pick. It would be good to get 3 top 20 picks. Alternately, he may trade out a player + pick 20 for a selection in the top 6 or 7.

Who could he trade to get a top 20 pick. Apart from the young guys only Jack would get a top 20 pick and that would be madness.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:We might beat the Suns, and GWS may not win another game. If that's the case we finish 2nd last, and get the 2nd pick in the draft. Pick 2 & probably pick 20. Pelchan will probably trade out a player to get another early pick. It would be good to get 3 top 20 picks. Alternately, he may trade out a player + pick 20 for a selection in the top 6 or 7.

Who could he trade to get a top 20 pick. Apart from the young guys only Jack would get a top 20 pick and that would be madness.
Last year Pelchan managed to trade a surplus ruckman and we ended up with 3 top 20 picks. We have surplus ruckmen again this year. Completely agree we don't want to trade either Jack, so if Pelchan can weave magic and get 3 top 20 picks, we should all acknowledge his skill.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Last year Pelchan managed to trade a surplus ruckman and we ended up with 3 top 20 picks. We have surplus ruckmen again this year. Completely agree we don't want to trade either Jack, so if Pelchan can weave magic and get 3 top 20 picks, we should all acknowledge his skill.

He isnt going to trade either ruckman and neither would probably get a top 20 pick anyway. I refuse to acknowledge Pelchen until I see positives in the long term. Im not an Pelchen we trust guy, im more an in Pelchen we dont trust guy until he proves differently.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
We'll beat gold coast
We'll beat bulldogs
Gold coast and Adelaide have won twice as many games as us for a reason, and the Dogs have been much more competitive than us for most of the year.

Have to pull you up there - Gold Coast have won twice as many games as us - BEFORE they were hit by injuries. Ablett out for them, is like when we used to play without Lockett in the 80s, or Harvey in the 90s - we turned into a rudderless ship. Nobody stepped up. Same with GC. Matera is a massive out for their scoring capacity too. He is good for three goals a game, easy.

Adelaide; yep - agreed. No chance and probably a ten goal + loss.

Bullies - more competitive; absolutely, but as I posted before; that was before that game was nominated as Lenny's testimonial. Could, and should, prove the difference.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Well it looks like it is down to us the Dees and GWS with us as favourites.
Brisbane are now well clear of the drop zone.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I watched the last qtr of the Lions game with the sound up for a change. Discovered that the player I thought was James Aish all season is in fact Lewis Taylor. I kept thinking all year that number 28 for Brisbane was Aish and that he was indeed a gun.

Lol. That Taylor is a very good pickup drafted at number 27 or so

dragit
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
dragit wrote:
We'll beat gold coast
We'll beat bulldogs

Have to pull you up there - Gold Coast have won twice as many games as us - BEFORE they were hit by injuries. Ablett out for them, is like when we used to play without Lockett in the 80s, or Harvey in the 90s - we turned into a rudderless ship. Nobody stepped up. Same with GC. Matera is a massive out for their scoring capacity too. He is good for three goals a game, easy.

Adelaide; yep - agreed. No chance and probably a ten goal + loss.

Bullies - more competitive; absolutely, but as I posted before; that was before that game was nominated as Lenny's testimonial. Could, and should, prove the difference.
Thanks for pulling me here, with my suggestion that the suns would cover us easily… they're still a much better side than us with out Ablett as we just saw.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Yes Dragit, old bean, you were right. I think it says more about us than it does about them though.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Well it looks like it is down to us the Dees and GWS with us as favourites.
well top 2 secure seeing as gws and dees play off, would rather see gws win that one

wally
Club Player

I agree stevie,Taylor seems a good pickup at 27 or 28,I think that its also important that that our draft picks are ready/able to play
senior footy straight up.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Yes Dragit, old bean, you were right. I think it says more about us than it does about them though.
Bit of both, they are a good side (even without Ablett), we are the 18th side.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Well it looks like it is down to us the Dees and GWS with us as favourites.
well top 2 secure seeing as gws and dees play off, would rather see gws win that one
Dees could end up with picks 1 and 2 if they finish bottom and get a compo pick from Frawley. More early picks for the Dees, yay!