Who will we trade in?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

wally
Club Player

Re: Who will we trade in?

I agree with Pleasing here.
I wonder if a fit Fisher/Gwilt sweetner may work,I realise they are short term but that is what GWS need,a little experience,
the player may get more dough than from us.
With the rotations,taggers etc are we better off with 2 B grade mids rather than 1 A grader?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt set to re-sign...Fisher perhaps, but not convinced he has value outside of the saints

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Let's be honest, we don't have much to offer GWS, unless they are willing to gamble on the fitness of Gilbo. I'd take Petracca, as he looks to be the gun, goal-kicking midfielder we desperately need. If we get trumped on Petracca, then McCartin looks the next best bet. I'm also mightily impressed with Durdin. A Westhoff/Roo type who needs a bit of bulking up.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:Gwilt set to re-sign...Fisher perhaps, but not convinced he has value outside of the saints
Gwilt should be asked to move on.

His performances within the last 3 seasons have been terrible.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

:roll:
yeah he's been shite for the last 3 years
its why they thought theyd extend a contract

#gosaintas
Club Player

Gwilt should definitely be moved on. Thanks and see ya.

PJ
SS Life Member

#gosaintas wrote:Gwilt should definitely be moved on. Thanks and see ya.
You're getting repetitive.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Pleasing wrote:I am concerned about McCartin as well but I do think we need to address the Key Forward hole in our list sooner rather than later...

The best solution is to get one of Patton or Boyd now if we can't do this then we need to cross our fingers and pump for McCartin...

The bigger hurdle will be convincing Boyd or Patton to come to St Kilda.
Hi P, I agree re big forwards, however the likes of the guys you mentioned will be still available at the 2015 Draft/Trading period... and like our current candidates, we will have a better idea then (end of 2015) than we do now of how they are shaping up.

I realise it's all conjecture (till at least 5-7 post any draft), but I wonder if there's any mid in this or next year's draft who is looking as good as Petracca could well be?

As for 'convincing' blokes to come to us... shouldn't be a problem... by then we will be a young and (even more) exciting team on the rise, whilst most of the current 'contenders' will be waning. Plus, we have the salary cap space. Should be an easy sell. 8-)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
crippsy
Club Player

Mc cartin for me

We need a forward
Roo 2 years at best (hopefully 10!)

Lee 50/50
White 50/50
Maister gone
Stanley hopefully plays consistently 60/40

Last 3 drafts have only drafted mids and hbf from draft

Only talls
jay lever gonski
Siposs doubtfull
Pierce ruck
White 50/50

Seriously lack quality talls forward and back our goal to goal line in 2 yrs will be poor if we dont fix now

Also

Dempster 29
Gwilt 29? Posters want traded as belief is hes terrible
Fisher 31
Gilbert injury prone and possible tradebait on here
Simpkin doubtfull

Hope petracca can play key back for three years untill talls develop and are afl ready!!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt is set to re-sign. He is obviously rated by the coaching staff. He immediately looked more at ease with Chips in last week. I do think we might still make a play for Jaksch to give us some cover if Chips and/or Gwilt stumble for whatever reason.

spot on
Club Player

Gwilt should get a 1 year contract . If he plays well I think
We r much better team. Gonna lose Lenny , jones, snider this year and maybe fish. Need his experience

gringo
Saintsational Legend

There are rumours about Brett Eddy and someone suggested a surprise play for Mitch Clarke. If we get a KPF who could gap fill we would probably be better to build a midfield.

FQF
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:There are rumours about Brett Eddy and someone suggested a surprise play for Mitch Clarke. If we get a KPF who could gap fill we would probably be better to build a midfield.
Clarke is only 26 and hasn't played much footy at all for the last few years. If we drafted him it wouldn't be a gap-fill, it would be nothing short of a coup.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I've heard the Mitch Clarke rumours as well. If he has recovered, he'd be an asset. Having said that, if he's planning a comeback, there'll be a few suitors waiting in the wings, especially the Dees, who put so much time and effort into him.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I've heard the Mitch Clarke rumours as well. If he has recovered, he'd be an asset. Having said that, if he's planning a comeback, there'll be a few suitors waiting in the wings, especially the Dees, who put so much time and effort into him.

I think Brisbane might have put even more in.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Agreed, Gringo, he owes much to those two clubs. Still, he might be looking for a completely new start. That might be our advantage. Dare to dream, Gringo, dare to dream!

evo
Club Player

Andreous
Club Player

A lot of comments on the ABC coverage of the GWS about Boyd wanting to return to Melbounre and how good a fit he would be for the saints.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Andreous wrote:A lot of comments on the ABC coverage of the GWS about Boyd wanting to return to Melbounre and how good a fit he would be for the saints.
And we tried to get him via the no.1 pick last year, but couldn't get the deal done with GWS for that pick. Maybe they'll have another crack this year.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
White Winmar wrote:I've heard the Mitch Clarke rumours as well. If he has recovered, he'd be an asset. Having said that, if he's planning a comeback, there'll be a few suitors waiting in the wings, especially the Dees, who put so much time and effort into him.

I think Brisbane might have put even more in.
Mike Sheahan mentioned Clarke on the couch on Monday. Rumours are he's recovered and is willing to throw his lot in with the draft. Apparently he is living back at home in Perth, and his preference would be to stay there. I say if he's available, and provided we do our due diligence, we should take him. A KP swing man, capable of going into the ruck as well and at just 26 years of age, he has plenty of good years ahead of him. He is now a non contracted, free agent. Hop to it, Pelican!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The trouble is going to be that the Blues Pies Roos and even Dogs are all looking at throwing huge money at
a tall fwd in the next two years.

So right now there are more clubs than tall fwds. That makes Reid Boyd Cameron amd Patton hard to get and very expensive.

We need one of White or Lee to come on.

Pissed off we didnt get Jenkins for nothing when we had a chance two yeara ago.
I guess at that stage we hoped Beau might be a fill in for a few years.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

From what Pelchan was saying last year it sounded as though big name recruits/free agents are another couple of years away. We're still in the phase of picking up kids via the draft (ie Billings & Dunstan) or young players with upside (ie Delaney & Bruce).
I'd be very surprised if we got Clarke. Think he'd be much more likely to stay in Perth.
Not sure that Boyd is going anywhere but while we are talking about him is he more of a ruckman or a forward?

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

We do not want Mitch Clarke!.

Two reasons: matter of principle and matter of maths.

1/ I'm dead-set biased against him after what he did to the Teddies. They compasionately let him go back to Perth coz he pleaded homesickness, yet suddenly... $$$ from the Dreamons... and suddenly... no more homesickness.
Depression or not, that's poor form. (Tippet is in a similar boat re the Crones IMHO.)

2/ DOB: 19/8/1987. So he'll be 27 years old October 19th, therefore 27 for season 2015.
So he'll be 30 years old for the 2018 season, which is when we should start challenging.
(For those who see 2018 as 'optimistic', then Mitch will be even older.)

Easy mistake to make, but too many of us seem to be failing to 'do the sums' re the ages of players on whom we are considering expending significant resources (in terms of draft picks and salary cap space). As posted previously, Carlscum went 'too early' with pokieman Judd and are still paying for it... marooned mid-ladder. And they still don't appear to have cottoned-on... :lol:

We are way way closer to our next flags than they are!

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:We do not want Mitch Clarke!.

1/ I'm dead-set biased against him after what he did to the Teddies. They compasionately let him go back to Perth coz he pleaded homesickness, yet suddenly... $$$ from the Dreamons... and suddenly... no more homesickness.
Depression or not, that's poor form. (Tippet is in a similar boat re the Crones IMHO.)

2/ DOB: 19/8/1987. So he'll be 27 years old October 19th, therefore 27 for season 2015.
So he'll be 30 years old for the 2018 season, which is when we should start challenging.

Easy mistake to make, but too many of us seem to be failing to 'do the sums' re the ages of players on whom we are considering expending significant resources (in terms of draft picks and salary cap space). As posted previously, Carlscum went 'too early' with pokieman Judd and are still paying for it... marooned mid-ladder. And they still don't appear to have cottoned-on... :lol:

He would be a major upgrade on Wilkes… may also relive Riewoldts retirement and would cost us nothing via the PSD. We can certainly afford his wage, but the big concern is his health.

Rossy was pretty keen a few years ago, so I imagine he'll end up at Freo anyway.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:We do not want Mitch Clarke!.

He would be a major upgrade on Wilkes… may also relive Riewoldts retirement and would cost us nothing via the PSD. We can certainly afford his wage, but the big concern is his health.

Rossy was pretty keen a few years ago, so I imagine he'll end up at Freo anyway.
Hi Dragstar, IMHO we're not at the stage where we want to find an upgrade to someone of BBBBeau's age/capabilities.

For that position we want to find who can play there at a high level for many years to come. We may already have him/them(?) We need to find out. But Clarke won't be there long term, so if there short term, he would only interfere with the development of one of our long term hopes.

- We are building a team with the aim of everyone coming into their footy prime around the same time, so as to then be able to create a team that is challenging for years to come... as we did with our list built from the early 2000's.
- When we are nearly ready to strike, only then do we top-up our percieved remaining weakness via the pre-season drafts and FA. (Say the drafts of 2016, 2017.)
And so as for us to be able to that, which we weren't able to under Ro$$y, one of the first tasks tackled by the Pelican and his team was sorting out our salary cap structuring.
- Then, we try to keep that all chugging along via smart mature aged recruiting (eg; a la the Dawks),
- and we can then draft young talent with an eye to developing them for the longer term future, c/f needing them to impact immediately. (In today's terms, think the likes of Spencer White and Lew Pierce.)

So right now, IMHO we need to only recruit young guys who will be in/still be in their prime for 2017/2018 and beyond.

Plotting, patience and timing are the keys as I see it. However, the rewards will be great. Finally, the Juggernaut shall rise. :twisted: