VFL Rd 13 Sandringham Vs Port melbourne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: VFL Rd 13 Sandringham Vs Port melbourne

Dave McNamara wrote:I reckon that I'm (close to) the biggest fan of Spenc-arrrh White on this site. He will be a star! But he will take some time.

I do not want to see him in the seniors this year. He is not physically built-up enough nor fit enough, yet. I would fear for Spenc-arrrh's confidence going forward if we played him this year.

I don't care how 'unconventional' it may seem, I would still withdraw Spenc-arrrh and Tommy Lee from all competitive footy right now, and get them to hit the gym and the running track, so that they can be physically ready to start to strut their stuff next season.

If lee doesnt play again this year then he may not even be on the list next year. They should play and if good be promoted. If bad enough be demoted. No idea who the other player is. Must be some sort of humour that eludes me.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Dave McNamara wrote:I reckon that I'm (close to) the biggest fan of Spenc-arrrh White on this site. He will be a star! But he will take some time.

I do not want to see him in the seniors this year. He is not physically built-up enough nor fit enough, yet. I would fear for Spenc-arrrh's confidence going forward if we played him this year.

I don't care how 'unconventional' it may seem, I would still withdraw Spenc-arrrh and Tommy Lee from all competitive footy right now, and get them to hit the gym and the running track, so that they can be physically ready to start to strut their stuff next season.
Interesting thoughts, I wouldn't be against the idea although Lee needs games under his belt as he can't use the young and developing excuse much longer. He is lucky that we desperately need forwards to step up - I fear that the same lack of intensity which caused him to be delisted from the Crows has lingered with him. I want to be wrong more than anything but thats my fear. I understand he hasn't had a clear run due to injuries, but he should have made up some ground by now as the season has worn on so its a concern.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Saw the replay:

Bruce - Good. Presented very well as a forward target. Didn't adjust his kicking for the wind. Clunked some good marks.
Curren - Okay. Got better.
Simpkin - Okay. Great tackling and tough up forward. Quiet second half.
White - Okay. Started well then seemed to get a little desperate. Tried a few shots along the ground which may have worked at the Dome, but silly in the wet. Bruce presented better. But still exciting prospect.
Murdoch - Below Average. Got better but I question his role. Will he be a mid, back, utility? He doesn't affect the game as he should.
Saunders - Below Average. Like Murdoch, I want him to start owning games.
Fisher - Average. Started well then dropped off. Lacking match sharpness.
Hickey - Poor. Took a few grabs, but no impact in the ruck.
Holmes - Okay. Did well in the ruck, wasn't beaten. I really think he can make it. Mostly needs experience with ball in hand, and playing a kick in front of the play like Cox.
Acres - Quiet. Did well with the ball.
Wright - DNF
Maister - DNF
Siposs - DNF

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

1. Give Spencer a 12 month extension.
2. Why is Bruce playing twos and Gwilt playing ones?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:I would still withdraw Spenc-arrrh and Tommy Lee from all competitive footy right now...
Haven't seen much "competitive footy" from Tommy all year.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Munga wrote:Saw the replay:

Bruce - Good. Presented very well as a forward target. Didn't adjust his kicking for the wind. Clunked some good marks. give him the roof at Etihad to fix that - is a level above VFL
Curren - Okay. Got better. disappointed, expect him to be really owning games at this level like Mav did - maybe he is just depth but I have higher expectations so maybe marking him poorly
Simpkin - Okay. Great tackling and tough up forward. Quiet second half. seems like a suburban battler, tries hard and applies great pressure - scares opposition defenders - had some great tackles and pressure acts but does not hurt offensively
White - Okay. Started well then seemed to get a little desperate. Tried a few shots along the ground which may have worked at the Dome, but silly in the wet. Bruce presented better. But still exciting prospect.exciting game from a 19 year old key forward, loved his movement and clunked some great grabs in the wet - has work to do but I saw enough xfactor today to get excited, he will frustrate though the way Buddy can
Murdoch - Below Average. Got better but I question his role. Will he be a mid, back, utility? He doesn't affect the game as he should.he is a good finisher isn't he? I still think there is a lot to work with, it's very early days with him and could become a beast with another preseason, above avg by foot
Saunders - Below Average. Like Murdoch, I want him to start owning games.you are right, pretty ineffective in conditions that should've suited him... Has dropped off after a very promising start to the year - still a heap to work with especially with our need for runners in the middle
Fisher - Average. Started well then dropped off. Lacking match sharpness.unsure how he can be in the bests, absolute howler kicking out from full back, was ok, but far from dominant, agree with your summation
Hickey - Poor. Took a few grabs, but no impact in the ruck.hardly conditions that suited him, I think he had an ok game, did some good things, but struggled to really impact the game - better for the run
Holmes - Okay. Did well in the ruck, wasn't beaten. I really think he can make it. Mostly needs experience with ball in hand, and playing a kick in front of the play like Cox.i think this is a case of expectations, as Hickey was by far the better ruckman of the two, but we expect a lot more out of him than Holmes. Holmes is great in the ruck contest, but in general play he has a long way to go - expected, but still, he needs to be comfortable with ball in hand at Sandy before even considered for AFL
Acres - Quiet. Did well with the ball.great to see him out there, can't wait to see him after a full preseason - was ok without starring - quiet, as you said
Wright - DNF
Maister - DNF
Siposs - DNF
Thanks for the descriptions, I've added my two cents in bold. Definitely a bit to work with though.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Saw first half of replay. The great White hope/hype showed a bit to be excited about. Can't wait to see him at senior level. I thought Bruce was very good also though his kicking let him down.

Simpkin, gee he's a tough uncompromising player isn't he. Hamill Mark II?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Saw first half of replay. The great White hope/hype showed a bit to be excited about. Can't wait to see him at senior level. I thought Bruce was very good also though his kicking let him down.

Simpkin, gee he's a tough uncompromising player isn't he. Hamill Mark II?

Hamill really poor brother. i feel sorry for him playing forward. No hope of ever being an AFL player. Could argue the same down back but at least Gwilt and Dempster are on their last legs so he could have had a sopt there.

suss
Club Player

Simpkin could be a bit of a Max Rooke type I reckon. Short on skills but makes up for it in other ways.

It's good to have you back pluggsy. You make lots of sense 99.9% of the time.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I think Simpkin's skills are actually very good - he's just not flashy, does the simple things well. Not a game changer but very capable nonetheless.
Feel a bit for Beau - he was having an outstanding game.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:What do people see in Hickey. I know he has been out injured and possibly not fit but he still looks the same..always looks like he's going to fall over.
Some big guys are just too awkward
Hickey was a very strong reason why we won three games in the first month.

He is our most definite #1 ruck IMO.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107