Kiwis not buying in

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Kiwis not buying in

Con Gorozidis wrote:On top of that - assuming nz is 'just another tassie' would be grossly offensive to a kiwi and is both arrogant and ignorant.

Tassie is a state of the commonwealth and has been since federation in 1901. NZ entirely independent country with its own separate history. Rubbish comparison.
What the three islands of New Zealand?

Answer:

The North island,

The South Island,

And the West Island.

(As told to me by a Kiwi cuzzy)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:On top of that - assuming nz is 'just another tassie' would be grossly offensive to a kiwi and is both arrogant and ignorant.

Tassie is a state of the commonwealth and has been since federation in 1901. NZ entirely independent country with its own separate history. Rubbish comparison.

Answer:

The North island,

The South Island,

And the West Island.

Ok that settles it then
Despite me living there I have no idea what I'm talking about and one kiwi joke (who I'm sure lives here) has shown nz is just like tassie and the saints over there is just like the hawks in tassie and kiwis are total footy nuts who will al sign up to our great code and club.

If people want to believe that go ahead. I'm not going to stop anyone believing n the easter bunny either.

(but you are all going to be disappointed).

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

You've missed the humour Con.

It's against us and how they the Kiwis look at us. Relax it was a joke and I as an Australian actually got it.

BTW I work with some one who insists that New Zealand is in our constitution as part of the Federation.

Sadly I view our constitution like the Bible. Read the first paragraph and that's enough for me.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:

Answer:

The North island,

The South Island,

And the West Island.

As I like to tell them - Australia is comprised of 8 main regions (2 territories and 6 states) and we consider New Zealand as our 10th

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:You've missed the humour Con.

It's against us and how they the Kiwis look at us. Relax it was a joke and I as an Australian actually got it.

BTW I work with some one who insists that New Zealand is in our constitution as part of the Federation.

Sadly I view our constitution like the Bible. Read the first paragraph and that's enough for me.
Went straight over my head :D .

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

will be interesting to see what the reaction is once the boys get there tomorrow
Media are on board
Retweeted by AFL New Zealand

Michelle Clyne‏@MichelleClyne·
Great @nriewoldt pic in today's @DomPost
#SaintsNZ
@AFLNZ pic.twitter.com/wQmxrXKK6N

AFL NZ are doing their bit

re buying in- we can't even get supporedly rusted on supporters to buy memberhsips here-- so why should we think differant of those less familir

maybe if they saw that Australians were 'buying in' with St Kilda they would be more interested.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
70s sainter
Club Player

citywest wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
citywest wrote:All you doom sayers should just shut up. This is a long term project that will eventually bear fruit. You can't expect to have 100,000 people jump on board after just 1 game. We need to be patient and be in it for the long haul. One game a year for the next 5 years is ok for now but I firmly believe that we need to eventually play at least 2 games there per year (and 1 pre-season game as well). I am very confident that after 10 years we could have 10,000 Kiwi members signed up.

Im surprised you dont want 4 games a year there. Your head must nearly be exploding after last night.
Funny you should mention that. I firmly believe that we should/will eventually play 4 games per year in NZ. I believe the current contract expires in 4 years time. That is when we should increase to 2 games per year, 1 in Wellington and 1 in Christchurch. Then maybe after that contract expires we could look at playing 2 games in each city. I see no reason why we couldn't have 10,000 Kiwi based members by then. The flow on effect would be awesome for our club. I'm not sure how many NZ'ers migrate over to Aus each year but imagine if all of the ones that did automatically barracked for St Kilda!!!???? Also, when you factor in that we will relocate back to St Kilda, plus our young and emerging list, the next 10 years are looking very bright indeed.
Really ??!
So out of the 11 home game that the 30000 melbourne supporters get to enjoy you want to take 4 of them away so we earn a bit more money overall?
What do we really care on game day whether the club has a million dollars more in the kitty .
How many supporters will drop off in the end .
I want to see home games and I want them in melbourne .
Supporters get fixated on how the club can make money and forget why they're part of the club to start with .
How many games do rich, coll, Carl and ess sell interstate?
That should be the clubs target.
And if you're gonna use hawks or roos as an example - don't forget it's a cheap as chips 45 min flight to a great getaway island in tassie.

jmcp
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I have said since day dot the Kiwis would never buy in.
As someone who has lived in that country for a year - I have a strong held belief they will never ever give two hoots about the AFL. It couldn't be further removed from their culture and where they stand in general life. If anything they will be outright hostile to it. The idea of the 'big cousin from across the ditch' imposing a foreign game on them does not fit well with their psyche of independence. It goes against their entire essence, being and self opinion. They will reject it just on principle alone. Nothing to do with how good the actual game is or who the actual teams are. It goes much deeper into what it means to them to be a kiwi.
i disagree. i think you underestimate the kiwis. i just wish the afl schedule your mob against a better team. tourism agenda aside, anyone could see the lions would not be much chop this year.

i lived there for over 10 years, 8 of them in wellington. the kiwis had vfl coverage back in the 80s. many of my kiwi friends notionally "support" an afl team on the back of growing up with that coverage. wellingtonians will support sport more than the other regions. having 9 games a week beamed in to nz also helps.

as i said in another thread, i have quite a few mates who went last year and are looking forward to going this year. they are relatively clueless about the game but are intrigued nonetheless.

that the game is built around anzac day helps the cause. it seems the saints are holding quite a few activities to get the locals involved and engaged.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

jmcp wrote:
As someone who has lived in that country for a year - I have a strong held belief they will never ever give two hoots about the AFL. It couldn't be further removed from their culture and where they stand in general life. If anything they will be outright hostile to it. The idea of the 'big cousin from across the ditch' imposing a foreign game on them does not fit well with their psyche of independence. It goes against their entire essence, being and self opinion. They will reject it just on principle alone. Nothing to do with how good the actual game is or who the actual teams are. It goes much deeper into what it means to them to be a kiwi.
i disagree. i think you underestimate the kiwis. i just wish the afl schedule your mob against a better team. tourism agenda aside, anyone could see the lions would not be much chop this year.

i lived there for over 10 years, 8 of them in wellington. the kiwis had vfl coverage back in the 80s. many of my kiwi friends notionally "support" an afl team on the back of growing up with that coverage. wellingtonians will support sport more than the other regions. having 9 games a week beamed in to nz also helps.

as i said in another thread, i have quite a few mates who went last year and are looking forward to going this year. they are relatively clueless about the game but are intrigued nonetheless.

that the game is built around anzac day helps the cause. it seems the saints are holding quite a few activities to get the locals involved and engaged.

Im not saying anything is wrong with them not giving a s*** but they don't give a s***. I know they have footy - my mate played for the wellington hawks.
i also agree wellingtonians are more open to aucklanders (aucklanders really don't care - think sydney but more parochial).
we will have to agree to disagree. i have no no faith they will adopt our code at all and i feel the cultural differences (when it comes to sport) goes too deep.
i still support the idea - it seems like a good day out. I went to the wellington cup a few years ago which was a bloody great day out.

jmcp
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
jmcp wrote:

Im not saying anything is wrong with them not giving a s*** but they don't give a s***. I know they have footy - my mate played for the wellington hawks.
i also agree wellingtonians are more open to aucklanders (aucklanders really don't care - think sydney but more parochial).
we will have to agree to disagree. i have no no faith they will adopt our code at all and i feel the cultural differences (when it comes to sport) goes too deep.
i still support the idea - it seems like a good day out. I went to the wellington cup a few years ago which was a bloody great day out.
fair enough. cup day is a ripper. always a good day out.

i do love their four team afl league.

what i do find odd about there is their so called fanaticism towards rugby which i don't think holds a candle to the fanaticism that is experienced with footy here.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

heres the thing in my opinion ... every one knows in NZ rugby is king no doubt .. but what we are trying to do is not compeate with rugby (would be pointless and we would lose) what we are offering is another sport for them to watch and enjoy on top of their first passion of rugby... yes you will get the percentage who will not want to even consider looking at anyother sport but i think you will get more than a few who will see it as a good oportunity to check out a game ... i liken it to when the NRL come to Perth once a year for a game ... most perth people dont have an interest in the NRL most wouldnt know the differance between a rabbito and an eel or what ever but the game still draws a crowd ... heck i know next to nothing about Rugby but i went last time they came and i to my suprise enjoyed it to the point where i would go again this year ... AFL will always be my number 1 sport to watch but the seed has been planted that im considering what NRL team to follow ... we can achieve this same thing in NZ their ruby teams will be the number one priority but maybe just maybe we can plant that seed into the locals where they think "i dont half mind this game and i might come again next year" and then eventualy get to the point of "i dont really follow aussie rules but i support that saints team that come over each year " .....

a lot of negative comments coming from the victorian supporters (and of the older generation) who i think in some small part want this to fail cause they dont want to share their team ... but this isnt the 1970's suburban footy is long dead .. the internet/social media have made the world a more conected place and people are more open to accepting new things.. we are pioneering this thing so we need to put 100% into making it work ... those who think its a stupid idea need to remember you fail 100% of the time in the things you dont give a try ....

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:heres the thing in my opinion ... every one knows in NZ rugby is king no doubt .. but what we are trying to do is not compeate with rugby (would be pointless and we would lose) what we are offering is another sport for them to watch and enjoy on top of their first passion of rugby... yes you will get the percentage who will not want to even consider looking at anyother sport but i think you will get more than a few who will see it as a good oportunity to check out a game ... i liken it to when the NRL come to Perth once a year for a game ... most perth people dont have an interest in the NRL most wouldnt know the differance between a rabbito and an eel or what ever but the game still draws a crowd ... heck i know next to nothing about Rugby but i went last time they came and i to my suprise enjoyed it to the point where i would go again this year ... AFL will always be my number 1 sport to watch but the seed has been planted that im considering what NRL team to follow ... we can achieve this same thing in NZ their ruby teams will be the number one priority but maybe just maybe we can plant that seed into the locals where they think "i dont half mind this game and i might come again next year" and then eventualy get to the point of "i dont really follow aussie rules but i support that saints team that come over each year " .....

a lot of negative comments coming from the victorian supporters (and of the older generation) who i think in some small part want this to fail cause they dont want to share their team ... but this isnt the 1970's suburban footy is long dead .. the internet/social media have made the world a more conected place and people are more open to accepting new things.. we are pioneering this thing so we need to put 100% into making it work ... those who think its a stupid idea need to remember you fail 100% of the time in the things you dont give a try ....
I have been a sceptic - and I wasnt around in the 70s so Im no advocate for suburban footy - But I totally support the initiative and agree with most things you say. I certainly dont want it to fail - as I'm really looking fwd to getting over there in the next 2 years (The flying taco is a great place to eat) and the brewery (its it monteiths?) on the waterfront aint too shabby either. The Stadium itself is a ripper in the centre of town.

My commentary has been more about dampening expectations and keeping a bit of perspective. I dont want more than 1 game per year and dont think it will be like the 'hawks in tassie'. But long may the single game tradition continue.. Seems like a bloody great day out and Im sure the Wellingtonians enjoy it and I'm sure the Sainters who make the trip have a great time too.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: I have been a sceptic - and I wasnt around in the 70s so Im no advocate for suburban footy - But I totally support the initiative and agree with most things you say. I certainly dont want it to fail - as I'm really looking fwd to getting over there in the next 2 years (The flying taco is a great place to eat) and the brewery (its it monteiths?) on the waterfront aint too shabby either. The Stadium itself is a ripper in the centre of town.

My commentary has been more about dampening expectations and keeping a bit of perspective. I dont want more than 1 game per year and dont think it will be like the 'hawks in tassie'. But long may the single game tradition continue.. Seems like a bloody great day out and Im sure the Wellingtonians enjoy it and I'm sure the Sainters who make the trip have a great time too.
thats what its all about .. i think the one game a year will work well as the novelty of the game i think would wear off if it was more than that , from all reports our club do a great job promoting and entertaining those who come to the game , im sure some corporate boxes get sold for the game and you can see the work the club do in regards to engaging the NZ public ... at this stage we make money from the game , we get exposure as a blockbuster game on TV back home with this game , we have from last year played pretty good footy at the ground so from what i can see its all been pretty successful so far .. i think its a good thing that the Brions are not promoting it much as we should be making it our territory over there (hence why i think we should never play a big club over there) ... also from the part of recruitment Rugby requires a specific body shape to be successful i would imagine there would be pleanty of skinny kids who would get destroyed playing rugby that might think that our game is worth giving a go

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Well I haven't been to Welly yet but the kiwis are a very open and friendly lot. They seem pretty happy and surely a few will take on supporting us.

But the more important thing at this stage is Aussies flying over the ditch and pumping NZ $ into Wellington's economy. That buys us time and the 5 years it could take to get 3 to 5,000 NZ members.

I think it's rubbish to think by 2018 we can get 10,000 NZ members, but it's a nice number and good for spin

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Well I haven't been to Welly yet but the kiwis are a very open and friendly lot. They seem pretty happy and surely a few will take on supporting us.

But the more important thing at this stage is Aussies flying over the ditch and pumping NZ $ into Wellington's economy. That buys us time and the 5 years it could take to get 3 to 5,000 NZ members.

I think it's rubbish to think by 2018 we can get 10,000 NZ members, but it's a nice number and good for spin

Have you been able to find out how many members we have over there at this stage? And i wonder what they pay to be a member.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:

Answer:

The North island,

The South Island,

And the West Island.

well......the kiwis certainly fixed up the land rights thing with their maori brothers and sisters......i hear they gave them bondi and parts of the gold coast as well as welfare for life..... :mrgreen:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Well I haven't been to Welly yet but the kiwis are a very open and friendly lot. They seem pretty happy and surely a few will take on supporting us.

try to speak with a kiwi accent until you have been served with your dinner if you are out and about..having been there a few times in my working days....i don't share your confidence that the locals like aussies....... :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

try to speak with a kiwi accent until you have been served with your dinner if you are out and about..having been there a few times in my working days....i don't share your confidence that the locals like aussies....... :twisted:
maybe they just dont like you stinger ??? and going by your previous comment its kinda understandable :)

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Have you been able to find out how many members we have over there at this stage? And i wonder what they pay to be a member.
from memory last year they didnt have a membership drive as suche for the NZ game ... i think they might push it this year ... i would imagine the membership cost would be similar to what an interstate/international membership would cost

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

from memory last year they didnt have a membership drive as suche for the NZ game ... i think they might push it this year ... i would imagine the membership cost would be similar to what an interstate/international membership would cost

Do you know what that figure is and what it gets you?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i know what an interstate membership costs ... its $110 and you get the membership pack plus access to 5 games at the dome ticket to any games in your home state (except WA where we have more members than ticket allocation so its a ballot system for game tickets)... also this year we got a saints travel bag (that i use as my gym bag).. as an interstate member you are recognised as a member and have the same voting rights at the AGM as any Victorian member as well ... i would imagine the NZ membership would be close to that

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i know what an interstate membership costs ... its $110 and you get the membership pack plus access to 5 games at the dome ticket to any games in your home state (except WA where we have more members than ticket allocation so its a ballot system for game tickets)... also this year we got a saints travel bag (that i use as my gym bag).. as an interstate member you are recognised as a member and have the same voting rights at the AGM as any Victorian member as well ... i would imagine the NZ membership would be close to that

Quite expensive but it would be a good profit to the club if it is a similar cost.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

actually i just fone this on the saints web site ...

NZ Ultimate Membership - $155AUD*

See every game the Saints play live via digital subscription. Includes a premium ticket to Anzac Day game and a Saints Members Pack.

Benefits Include:
•Subscription to International streaming of all AFL games LIVE online including the finals and 2014 Grand Final
•Ability to watch game replays
•A Premium Reserved Seat Ticket to Anzac Day, Friday April 25, Wellington
•Receive a Saints Digital Pass, which includes access to exclusive news, communications, videos and club offers
•Receive a Saints Members pack, which includes a lanyard, bumper sticker and membership card
•Inclusion in the Saints Crest Program – recognition of membership tenure
•Option to purchase using Saints Smart Pay – a monthly/yearly instalment option, and receive a 2014 Saints Member scarf

NZ Game Day Membership - $36AUD Adult / $18AUD Junior*

Receive a Premium Reserved Seat to Anzac Day game and a Saints Member Pack.

Benefits Include:
•Recognised as an official Member of the St Kilda Football Club
•A Premium Reserved Seat Ticket to Anzac Day, Friday April 25, Wellington
•Receive a Saints Digital Pass, which includes access to exclusive news, communications, videos and club offers
•Receive a Saints Members pack, which includes a lanyard, bumper sticker and membership card
•Option to purchase using Saints Smart Pay – a monthly/yearly instalment option, and receive a 2014 Saints Member scarf
•Junior Members also receive: Saints Footy, shoelaces and stickers (5-9yrs) - Saints Footy, Flat Peak cap (10-14yrs)

NZ Supporter Membership - $23AUD*

Become an official Saints Suporter, with a Saints Members Pack and behind the scenes digital communications.

Benefits Include:
•Recognised as an official Member of the St Kilda Football Club
•Receive access to buy tickets to the Saints Anzac Day game weeks before they are available to the public

http://www.saintsmembership.com.au/nz.php

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Other codes survive in football-mad Melbourne. I don't see why we can't get a small following going across the dtch, particularly if we're successful. Give it time

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

Most locals don't know I'm a tourist unless I tell them I'm from Melbourne. I don't have a strong Aussie accent given I'm born and bred in the burbs not the bush.

Not in Welly until tomorrow so won't be able to feel the real vibe until then.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.