Eli

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Eli

"The temperature" self named :lol:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ok plugger that's all well and good but don't leave us in suspense.
Where has Max gawn ?

He has not been in seen in quite some time and if you know something about his disappearance then please let someone know. Where has he gawn ?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Ok plugger that's all well and good but don't leave us in suspense.
Where has Max gawn ?

He has not been in seen in quite some time and if you know something about his disappearance then please let someone know. Where has he gawn ?

No idea. same place as this joke I suppose.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:It's interesting the knock on Eli and Dunstan was speed. They may not be the fastest by foot, but they could think ahead of the play.

What I noticed at the ground was that Eli keeps moving so doesn't need that bolt from a standing start that some need. He may not be rocket powered but he is like a bee in a bottle bouncing around making his player very nervous. He has often made 20 meters on his direct opponent who is left covering the zone spot he has been set. It's footy smarts you can't teach some players.

Stanley is the opposite, despite being super fast he stays quite flat footed so tries to stand his ground and out mark which doesn't suit his strengths. Stanley should be running around just stressing the crap out of his defender then lead off into space and take the ball out in front.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Munga wrote:It's interesting the knock on Eli and Dunstan was speed. They may not be the fastest by foot, but they could think ahead of the play.

What I noticed at the ground was that Eli keeps moving so doesn't need that bolt from a standing start that some need. He may not be rocket powered but he is like a bee in a bottle bouncing around making his player very nervous. He has often made 20 meters on his direct opponent who is left covering the zone spot he has been set. It's footy smarts you can't teach some players.

Stanley is the opposite, despite being super fast he stays quite flat footed so tries to stand his ground and out mark which doesn't suit his strengths. Stanley should be running around just stressing the crap out of his defender then lead off into space and take the ball out in front.
Reckon a lot of that is confidence too, back your instincts and run where you think the ball will go rather than think too hard about where you are meant to stand or when you should lead.

saintact7
Club Player

Not bad for a kid overlooked in the draft but then picked up as a rookie, then elevated to senior list before round 1. Wonder how #3 draft pick Jack Billings feels about being overlooked for a rookie draft pick? After they play similar roles and it's not as if Eli has a sttronger body!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintact7 wrote:Wonder how #3 draft pick Jack Billings feels about being overlooked for a rookie draft pick? After they play similar roles and it's not as if Eli has a sttronger body!
Don't think he'll be worried one iota to be honest.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintact7 wrote:Not bad for a kid overlooked in the draft but then picked up as a rookie, then elevated to senior list before round 1. Wonder how #3 draft pick Jack Billings feels about being overlooked for a rookie draft pick? After they play similar roles and it's not as if Eli has a sttronger body!

At training they both looked like they were about ten years old. They are legitimately tiny. The difference was in their demeanour -Eli just looks like he's always been there and is very matey with the senior boys. He is obviously a gregarious guy and so has fitted straight in with that gentle ribbing and stuff going on the whole time. Billings looked like he was ready to throw up talking to fans where Eli was out shaking hands and laughing. Billings hands were shaking and he looked like he was blushing. Billings will take a bit of time to get used to the spot light but Templeton just has the perfect personality to jump straight in. doesn't mean anything over an entire career as Harves was pretty similar to Jack but for Eli the confidence has allowed him to slot straight in.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I don't know P66

Perhaps because he plays at my old club?! Perhaps because I still have family and friends there, perhaps when I go home regularly I go to the footy?

I even saw his dad play, when I lived over there as a youngster... And his uncle I think...

I also have seen Maverick play a few times.... He was absolutely highly touted, but he had a very mature body young.

Perhaps the real knock on Eli

Size and ability to win own ball
:wink: :D

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not sure which one his father was? There were two Templetons in the NWFU. Peter was a Gun.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Eli actually debuted senior footy in 2011 when he was 16. Played again in 2012 and of course most of the 2013 season.

He would have played close to 40 games against men.

Billings first game against men, like to be the intra club in Feb?

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Those two goals... one on the run where he just took off and headed for home, one a set shot. Both when we really, really needed 'em... and Eli never looked like missing. :D

Then there was that beautiful one-handed pick-up off the pack, the presence to look ahead, sum-up the best option, and deliver the kick to Dunstan's advantage in the goal square. Skill and footy smarts right there. :D

And all this whilst running at full pace, and didn't need to break stride to steady before kicking - one of the hardest skills in footy. :D

Eli is way more than just a cult figure IMHO. 8-)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

saint6709 wrote:No post for this kid ? Thought he showed some real promise - seemed to time his run on the ball well -a few times he got to the ball as he hit top speed
his goal on the 50 just about brought the dome done... what a goal at the right time...

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

A lot of composure for a young player. Very damaging around goal. Doesn't need much opportunity to impact a game.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

ShanghaiSaint wrote:
saint6709 wrote:No post for this kid ? Thought he showed some real promise - seemed to time his run on the ball well -a few times he got to the ball as he hit top speed
his goal on the 50 just about brought the dome done... what a goal at the right time...
agree, inspirational

fingers
Saintsational Legend

He runs like Milne

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

It was a big goal under pressure wasn't it

Plus you have to remember his near perfect pass to Dunstan in the goal square a bit before that

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Is going to be a very good player.
How long does he have on the list due to LTI???

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:It was a big goal under pressure wasn't it

Plus you have to remember his near perfect pass to Dunstan in the goal square a bit before that
What about the perfect pass by Jones to Eli - what vision :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Sobraz
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
skeptic wrote:It was a big goal under pressure wasn't it

What about the perfect pass by Jones to Eli - what vision :D :D
I thought Wright's pass to hand Eli his first goal was incredible. A lot to look forward two in those 2 & Dunstan.

saint6709
Club Player

Any chance for back to back rising stars ???

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Those two goals... one on the run where he just took off and headed for home, one a set shot. Both when we really, really needed 'em... and Eli never looked like missing. :D

Then there was that beautiful one-handed pick-up off the pack, the presence to look ahead, sum-up the best option, and deliver the kick to Dunstan's advantage in the goal square. Skill and footy smarts right there. :D

And all this whilst running at full pace, and didn't need to break stride to steady before kicking - one of the hardest skills in footy. :D

excellent post dave....one of your best...on any forum......all valid comments....good pick up.... :wink: :wink: :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:Is going to be a very good player.
How long does he have on the list due to LTI???

another 9 weeks ..maybe...

Milne
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:Those two goals... one on the run where he just took off and headed for home, one a set shot. Both when we really, really needed 'em... and Eli never looked like missing. :D

Sums up Eli's game perfectly today.

What a find we have.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Refreshing.

Eli to Dunstan was VG.

When was the last time two newbies did that?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.