Stanley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stanley

WinnersOnly wrote:Trade at years end - problem/frustration/expectation all solved !
If he's played 50 games in five years without coming close to delivering on his potential then who would give us anything for him?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Best case scenario for Rhys from a develppment point of view would be Justin Westhoff.
Westhoff is 27 now and just approaching the peak of his powers.
He was a pick 72 in the draft and was pretty inconsistent for a few years.
He seems to have more clues on how to play than Rhys at this stage.

I think Rhys is contracted through 2015 - so he has some time but he needs to get a wriggle on.

I personally think he is a ruckman or nothing. Any idea to make him a fwd or 'the next Roo' are stuff of pure fairytale.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Best case scenario for Rhys from a develppment point of view would be Justin Westhoff.
Westhoff is 27 now and just approaching the peak of his powers.
He was a pick 72 in the draft and was pretty inconsistent for a few years.
He seems to have more clues on how to play than Rhys at this stage.

I think Rhys is contracted through 2015 - so he has some time but he needs to get a wriggle on.

I personally think he is a ruckman or nothing. Any idea to make him a fwd or 'the next Roo' are stuff of pure fairytale.

Well he is stuffed then if you are right because our clubs needs another ruckman like a hole in the head. Stanley needs to learn to play forward or his career will finish.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: I personally think he is a ruckman or nothing. Any idea to make him a fwd or 'the next Roo' are stuff of pure fairytale.
Agree. Attributes is one thing. The ability to get the ball and do something with it is another all together.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps the most important player on the list this year....

If he is going to turn out good ..... As most here said in the past..... We will make ground ...

If he turns out a spud ..... Like those sameeople are saying now ...... We will lose ground...

A good player above 6'4 is twice as important as a good player under that

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Well he is stuffed then if you are right because our clubs needs another ruckman like a hole in the head. Stanley needs to learn to play forward or his career will finish.
Er what? Aren't you the common sense/ wait for evidence guy?

Last time I looked we didn't have one established ruckman.

Now you are saying we have a surplus? Now its you going early!

Lets get one up and running as a regular before we call it a surplus.

We have some promise and some possible up and comers - but nothing in the bank at this stage.

Longer and Hickey aren't certainties just yet....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Perhaps the most important player on the list this year....

If he is going to turn out good ..... As most here said in the past..... We will make ground ...

If he turns out a spud ..... Like those sameeople are saying now ...... We will lose ground...

A good player above 6'4 is twice as important as a good player under that

How can a guy who can barely get a kick in the VFL be 'the most important player on the list'

Once again a fairytale has been created by his height , speed and looks.

If you want to talk young talls - then Jolly, Hickey, Bruce and even White are just as likely candidates as Rhys and all are younger. I don't see why Rhys is any more 'important' than those four.

Add to that - its is pretty bloody obvious we will use our next top 10 draft pick on a tall.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Rhys is rapidly becoming our Shane Watson. Picked on promise rather than results. I'm a fan, but this year, he is surely on his last chance.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I just can't help thinking that this conversation is but a few months ahead of schedule.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:If he is going to turn out good ..... As most here said in the past..... We will make ground ...

Are you having a go at people for changing their mind when the evidence in front of them changes? What do you do when that happens? I guess you stick to your original viewpoint against all sense?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Be interesting to see if there's another flip flop if he plays a few good games

Or if he becomes a whipping boy, and he can never do anything good again... Regardless.. Like Watson.. Who incidentally won a couple of AB medals, world one day player of the year, t20 World Cup player of tournament, last two test series he was a top 3 run scorer

Shouldn't confuse expected output with actual output....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Be interesting to see if there's another flip flop if he plays a few good games

Or if he becomes a whipping boy, and he can never do anything good again... Regardless.. Like Watson.. Who incidentally won a couple of AB medals, world one day player of the year, t20 World Cup player of tournament, last two test series he was a top 3 run scorer

Shouldn't confuse expected output with actual output....

Arent people entilted to change their mind. In one season and that was the last one you said Jack was a good player at best and after the season you had decided he was A grade. Now thats changing your mind. Of course people will flip flop if he plays a few good games. Do you want people that say he cant play to still say it if he is playing well. That would be silly and just plain stubbon.

wally
Club Player

Is he good enough to play on the wing run up & back to provide a link to enable roo to hang back a bit?

FQF
SS Life Member

wally wrote:Is he good enough to play on the wing run up & back to provide a link to enable roo to hang back a bit?
I don't think so. As I wrote earlier, the wing requires far more sophisticated running patterns and game sense than making a lead out of the goal square - and he hasn't figured out how to even do that yet.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Let him play several uninterupted games of real footy and then maybe decide. If he doesn't work out he's just one more of a long line of guys that didn't quite make it. There is Spencer and Pierce behind him if he doesn't come on. Let him just play with no pressure and hope he gets a good run at it. I still have faith that he's got some very good qualities that will translate to good football. Any deficiencies seem to be mental so lets just hope he gets his confidence up and becomes at least a GOP.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
wally wrote:Is he good enough to play on the wing run up & back to provide a link to enable roo to hang back a bit?
I don't think so. As I wrote earlier, the wing requires far more sophisticated running patterns and game sense than making a lead out of the goal square - and he hasn't figured out how to even do that yet.
Yeah he appears to be a straight line runner and that is probably why is better left in the forward line as this years experiment. Only problem with that is there is another tall blonde bloke in the forward line that loves to run flat out at the ball.

#gosaintas
Club Player

I am still happy for him to take time. Not only can he run he is possibly the best kick in the side. Just a pity he only gets 2 kicks a game.
As long as 2 of Hickey, Longer and Stanley come good we will be fine

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

You can't write off Stanley on the back of the Bulldogs game - most 200cm players are going to struggle big time when the ball is like a piece of soap and it's sopping wet under foot.

I'm as frustrated about Rhys as anyone. Like a few people on here have said, I reckon he just isn't that good at football. He definitely looked like he was putting in some effort against the Bulldogs; some players just don't make it.

I'll reserve judgement on Rhys until he's gotten three NAB Challenge games under his belt.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Maybe at his best, he is just a good ordinary player and not the star some people expect him to be purely because is is a fast 200cm athlete?

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
FQF wrote:
What player do you suggest he should model his game off? Or, what player can he realistically emulate?
I'd say Roo if he has the endurance. The boy can run fast, so if he's got the tank he should be running as much as he can you would think.

The boy can run fast yet I always see him getting beaten to the ball.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote: The boy can run fast yet I always see him getting beaten to the ball.
Agree. Kind of the opposite to Sam Mitchell who is short and can't run but is always first to the ball.

I'm happy to play the numbers game.

As far as I'm concerned we have 3 ruckmen and if 2/3 work out good I'm happy.

FQF
SS Life Member

fingers wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
FQF wrote:
What player do you suggest he should model his game off? Or, what player can he realistically emulate?
I'd say Roo if he has the endurance. The boy can run fast, so if he's got the tank he should be running as much as he can you would think.

The boy can run fast yet I always see him getting beaten to the ball.
Because his always the last one to make the decision to make the chase.

I don't know if this is due to lack of confidence or lack of game sense but I think he needs to be told to follow his first instinct. Actually making that happen in practice, however, is easier said than done.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:I am still happy for him to take time. Not only can he run he is possibly the best kick in the side. Just a pity he only gets 2 kicks a game.
As long as 2 of Hickey, Longer and Stanley come good we will be fine
Agree, he just turned 22, as a 200cm ruck/forward taken at pick 47 I think we are just expecting too much.

Although he has been disappointing so far, he will probably be given more time than others as talls can take so much longer to come good.

Jones, Ray, Gwilt, TDL, Milera, Dunell, Simpkin, Maister, Siposs… There are plenty of blokes whose careers must also be in the balance. Though Rhys would also want to start showing something this year you'd think.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Just to clarify Rhys is 23 - not 22 - and this is his 6th season in the AFL 'system'.

Rhys is slightly older than Tom Lee and Tom Hickey and 2 1/2 years older than Longer.

I agree he has time - especially as a ruckman - but he hasnt shown any evidence he can be a key fwd. Time on that front is running out imo.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What about as a 20 yo in 2010 when he played CHF when Nick was injured