The good, the bad and the future!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: The good, the bad and the future!

hayes66 wrote:Lost is not necessary a term I would use but I would say several were starved of opportunities. I believe Lynch ended up being traded due to the fact he had limited games. Steven had played less than ten games under Ross's reign as he preferred a player like Eddy. Who I think for memory played around thirty games. Hutchings none and was delisted and whilst not a young player we did lose Luke Ball.

Yep Lynch left for lack of opportunity but then went to Adelaide and played only one more game than his last season at the saints. He then got lucky because Walker got injured and Tippert left. Steven was never really fit under RL. Had bad groins that has now been fixed. Hutchings had both hips operated on after his first season and was delsited and wasnt picked up by any other club.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Lynch is a snr crows player n seems valued there. Steven was fit for extended periods of time in RL's reign as wad Armo, Hutchings we simply did not identify the talent, just coz others did to doesn't mean it's not a mistake.
Other young players get injured too

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Scollop wrote:
gringo wrote:
It goes both ways. Because we had so many existing senior mids Kobe Stevens went to the Dogs where he saw a lot more opportunity. If Goddard and Dal had already gone he would probably have seen us as a more attractive option. I'm saying that the seniors would have been extremely happy in the inner sanctum but Armo was as good as gone if Ross had stayed. Jack Steven said Watters spoke to him more in one week than the whole time ross was in charge. There were rumblings that if you were at Sandy you had no contact with the senior coach.

Giving the players a word with what they need to do might just keep them engaged. Richo apparently has done that already with Weller. Told him exactly what he needs to do to play seniors and be a better footballer. Ross was an amazing game day coach no doubt but he is no messiah. His failings don't suit a financially strapped club who would need other staff to cover his perceived lack of interest in some areas away from match day coaching.
A coach needs to publicly show confidence in each and every player on the list (up until the time they are culled or retire) and a coach should never place a ceiling on what a team is likely to achieve. Valuable leaders and quality footballers like Ball and Hudghton got their personal revenge on Lyon. Lyon not only made Luke and Max feel like they were a liability to the team, but he humiliated these players imho with his words and public displays of no-confidence.

We lost youngsters because they felt Lyon's policy of recruiting recycled players meant they were not getting the opportunity to improve and develop. At least since RL we havent lost any players.
Who are these young players we lost when RL was there? And there is some pretty good guess work in Gringos post.

Of course I'm guessing but I don't have Lenny to ring up and ask his opinion. Lynch said he saw no future with the Saints and Armo's brother said he was gone if Ross stayed. There was several others that didn't get another opportunity that were gone with out being tried. The motivation wanes if opportunity isn't offered. The rest is quoting players publicity in the media.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote: - Maister is a goer up forward if he can learn to create some distance with his opponent in marking contests he will become a very handy tall forward.
For me is a much better option as the forward - back up ruckman than Stanley could ever hope to be.
Maister showed what he has always showed up forward: that he tries hard, but his skill set is limited.

He's always good for one or two good grabs, but always balances it out with 3/4 clumsy efforts. Can't see him being any more than a stop gap player for us.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote: - Maister is a goer up forward if he can learn to create some distance with his opponent in marking contests he will become a very handy tall forward.
For me is a much better option as the forward - back up ruckman than Stanley could ever hope to be.
Maister showed what he has always showed up forward: that he tries hard, but his skill set is limited.

He's always good for one or two good grabs, but always balances it out with 3/4 clumsy efforts. Can't see him being any more than a stop gap player for us.
Yeah hate to agree. I think he is your classic transition player and if Stanley does have a break out year in the forward line you would think Maister could be delisted by seasons end.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: I think he is your classic transition player and if Stanley does have a break out year in the forward line you would think Maister could be delisted by seasons end.

You can always live and hope!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
stinger
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:bottom 3 in 14..........

..Incredible really when you look at sides like Sydney,the Dorks, the Skunks and Cats...we were up there with them if not better......now look at us and look at them......... :|

we must be the most durable fans in the League

insiders deep within afl headquaters have us coming stone cold motherless last... with no more than three wins...but on the bright side have the filth also slipping out of the 8..... :wink:

ps..you can sheet all the blame home to lyin....imho... but the afl aren't as forthright....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

..Incredible really when you look at sides like Sydney,the Dorks, the Skunks and Cats...we were up there with them if not better......now look at us and look at them......... :|

insiders deep within afl headquaters have us coming stone cold motherless last... with no more than three wins...but on the bright side have the filth also slipping out of the 8..... :wink:

ps..you can sheet all the blame home to lyin....imho... but the afl aren't as forthright....

Yep its RL fault for the poor drafting. Funny that he also picked up 3 players who barring injury could play every game this year. Pity we could get some draft picks like that.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

That could make the situation bearable :)

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Cairnsman wrote: I think he is your classic transition player and if Stanley does have a break out year in the forward line you would think Maister could be delisted by seasons end.

He wrote Maister, not Kosi

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

He wrote Maister, not Kosi
Kosi was better than Wilkes!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
stinger
Saintsational Legend

i think wilkes and maister were on a par.....both good vfl players......c grade at best.....

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:i think wilkes and maister were on a par....
I agree. Very similar players indeed 8-)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
stinger wrote:i think wilkes and maister were on a par....
I agree. Very similar players indeed 8-)
:wink: