Trade Period Success

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade Period Success

Con Gorozidis wrote:Fair to say the top 4 is common knowledge and fairly well publicised.

boyd kelly aish shara and billings

Noone knows the order but it seems the consensus.
Might be a bolter but these days it seems the top 3 picks are well known in advance.
Fair chance gws will go for boyd and shara imo.

That leaves us to make the big decision of the three small mids.
Talk about pressure decision for Tony.
According to jaxons who clearly is in the know we have already narrowed it down to two ( and put a line through aish based on the gh factor ).
Looks like a top five to me.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

jaxons wrote:
#1GILL wrote:What are we giving up for Longer Jaxons? Lions surely won't accept 25
25 or PSD, they can take it or leave it!
so have we done a deal with Fisher? and does he know yet?

Seeya
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Fair to say the top 4 is common knowledge and fairly well publicised.

According to jaxons who clearly is in the know we have already narrowed it down to two ( and put a line through aish based on the gh factor ).
This is what I am talking about... If we have ruled out Aish & Sharenberg with pick 3... I don't think someone should be sharing this info online.

A bit different to reporting completed trades IMO.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

This is what I am talking about... If we have ruled out Aish & Sharenberg with pick 3... I don't think someone should be sharing this info online.

Totally agree. Hopefully he is guessing.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

There's that much rumour and innuendo, as a recruiter you wouldn't know what to believe. The one certainty is Boyd goes #1 and from a maths point of view at least one of Billings and Kelly are available at pick 3. I don't believe jaxons has given away anything he shouldn't have.

Middo
Club Player

Notice BM very quiet on this ....surely we have got this trade period wrong ..???

Ps Could not be happier if all these guys end up at the Saints ...

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Does it matter if it is revealed who we are getting with pick 3? Boyd is obviously number one, and I don't think who we're going to pick at 3 is going to influence GWS in any way. Sounds like they are keen on Kelly, anyway. It's not like everyone can jump in ahead of us and take our selection.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: Shara looks the goods also.
possibly the best of that group......i'm calling it early.....doesn't mean the saints will draft him though......time will tell....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Im with you on Aish. I have seen kelly play a fair few times and he is at the moment a genuine outside mid.
I like Kelly, don't get me wrong... he's a genuine outside-recieving midfielder. I guess if we pick him we'll target an inside mid with selections 18-19.

But Aish is also an outside-receiver...

I'm with you on Billings, I really like his game... Callum Twoney says Billings is the best player in the draft.
Con Gorozidis wrote:Kelly reminds me of Tom Scully
Child prodigy and hard worker but will never be a big impact player in the AFL.
Billings looks to have more potential to me.
Shara looks the goods also.
I agree with your assessments guys. 8-)

For me Kelly and Aish, though clearly very highly skilled, don't look like they'll ever put on much/enough size. I therefore cannot see them ever succeeding against AFL-sized men. They will always be too slight. :idea:

Ok, Billings didn't come across as that bright in his interview (off day, taking the proverbial maybe?), but I guess we don't draft them for that anyway. :lol: He seems IMHO to be clearly the best of the three. In fact, he's the only one of the three that I'd recruit... period!

We do not want any outside players... ever! Only blokes who can win their own contested footy! Again, I point to the changes made by the toxic gnome after losing last year's GF. :idea:

Whilst I'd be very happy to get Billings, I'd still prefer Boyd or Patton. Come on Saintas, plenty of time to work something out with the Wogans.

PS: I'm not worried about any 'go home' factor. Who have we lost to that of late? I can only think of Black and Begley. Oh, and the other Irishman (ie; not the round ball world beater one). Anyone else?

PPS: Get Garlett! Go home factor!?! He clearly needs to get away from home! :idea: His girlfriend and Cuddles will keep him on track.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure that Tony Elshaugh is armed with a whole lot more info on these kids than any of us. My magnificent talent spotting skills tell me that the order will be;

1. Boyd

2. Aish

3. Scharenberg

4. Kelly

5. Billings

6. Sheed

And Dave, I love your sig. That was one of the best "Driver Training Documentaries" I have ever seen !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Im with you on Aish. I have seen kelly play a fair few times and he is at the moment a genuine outside mid. Doesnt mean he is scared its just how he plays. Billings seems like a very good player but again isnt really a mid more a small forward. Hopefully it doesnt matter who we get out of those players. We just need that player to be a very good player in 3 or 4 years time when we should be heading up the ladder again.
I would take Billings or Scharenberg as they are both guns. Kelly and Aish don't do it for me too one dimensional. Freeman looks quick and explosive, Crouch and Sheed look the goods too as mids. over all i would take who ever the player that is the best player not the best mid. If Scharenberg only becomes like goddard and Billings only a Schnieder I'd take it over a Scully or Trengove.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Im with you on Aish. I have seen kelly play a fair few times and he is at the moment a genuine outside mid. Doesnt mean he is scared its just how he plays. Billings seems like a very good player but again isnt really a mid more a small forward. Hopefully it doesnt matter who we get out of those players. We just need that player to be a very good player in 3 or 4 years time when we should be heading up the ladder again.
I would take Billings or Scharenberg as they are both guns. Kelly and Aish don't do it for me too one dimensional. Freeman looks quick and explosive, Crouch and Sheed look the goods too as mids. over all i would take who ever the player that is the best player not the best mid. If Scharenberg only becomes like goddard and Billings only a Schnieder I'd take it over a Scully or Trengove.

We arent drafting Scully or Trengove. Not every player has to end up like another player. I could say if Scharenberg ends up like Gilbert or billings like TDL I will take Montagna or Dal.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Emma Quayle thinks Marcus Bontempelli is being strongly considered by GWS at #2 and that will really shake the top 5 up. I'll be surprised but still a possibility. She knows her draft.

Rumours that Gold will select Tassie prospect Koladjashnij and Melbourne Freeman with pick 9. Aish a chance to slide with a couple of teams favouring the tall and athletic midfielders (Koladjashnij & Bontempelli).

This is not how I would rank the top 10 (with my limited knowledge) but how I see it panning out on draft day:

1. Tom Boyd - GWS
2. Josh Kelly - GWS
3. Jack Billings - StK
4. Matthew Sharenberg - WB
5. Kade Koladjashnij - GCS
6. James Aish - Coll
7. Ben Lennon - Bris
8. Luke Mcdonald - Nth Melb
9. Nathan Freeman - Melb
10. Marcus Bontempelli - Coll

I think Collingwood will come out big winners....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

At this point in time I have every faith in Elshaugh to make the right calls.
He has pretty done well the last 2 years with crap picks - now he finally has some good ones to use.
Your time to shine Tony!

Grrrrr
Club Player

Can GWS afford the luxury of three big men in their forward line? Cameron (gun), Patton (no. 1 pick 2012) and Boyd (supposed no. 1 pick 2013)? I have a gut feel that Boyd could come to us with no. 3 pick or if we can manage to pull of a trade with pick 3 and something else for GWS pick 1.

Hopeful though :)

Freebird
Club Player

Middo wrote:Notice BM very quiet on this ....surely we have got this trade period wrong ..???

Ps Could not be happier if all these guys end up at the Saints ...
What has BM slated re trading/drafting that he has wrong?

He's been a big critic through our most poorest of list management most of which you do not need hindsite to know it will fail

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Grrrrr wrote:Can GWS afford the luxury of three big men in their forward line? Cameron (gun), Patton (no. 1 pick 2012) and Boyd (supposed no. 1 pick 2013)? I have a gut feel that Boyd could come to us with no. 3 pick or if we can manage to pull of a trade with pick 3 and something else for GWS pick 1.

Not going to happen

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Emma Quayle thinks Marcus Bontempelli is being strongly considered by GWS at #2 and that will really shake the top 5 up. I'll be surprised but still a possibility. She knows her draft.

Rumours that Gold will select Tassie prospect Koladjashnij and Melbourne Freeman with pick 9. Aish a chance to slide with a couple of teams favouring the tall and athletic midfielders (Koladjashnij & Bontempelli).

This is not how I would rank the top 10 (with my limited knowledge) but how I see it panning out on draft day:

1. Tom Boyd - GWS
2. Josh Kelly - GWS
3. Jack Billings - StK
6. James Aish - Coll
7. Ben Lennon - Bris
9. Nathan Freeman - Melb

Agree OM. Can someone explain how the Coll got pick 6?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Emma Quayle thinks Marcus Bontempelli is being strongly considered by GWS at #2 and that will really shake the top 5 up. I'll be surprised but still a possibility. She knows her draft.

1. Tom Boyd - GWS
2. Josh Kelly - GWS
3. Jack Billings - StK
6. James Aish - Coll
7. Ben Lennon - Bris
9. Nathan Freeman - Melb

Hey Pav,

The trade centred around the Eagles wanting a pick to satisfy a trade for Elliot Yeo and the Pies wanting a pick for Jesse White. The Eagles also believe the player they want in the draft (Dom Sheed) will be available at pick 11....And Collingwood reap the benefits getting a lower first round selection (6).

It ended up:

Collingwood
6 (draft)
44 (Jesse White)

WCE
11 (draft)
31 (Elliot Yeo)

West Coast also got a sweetener from the Pies on top (pick 49).

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
Grrrrr wrote:Can GWS afford the luxury of three big men in their forward line? Cameron (gun), Patton (no. 1 pick 2012) and Boyd (supposed no. 1 pick 2013)? I have a gut feel that Boyd could come to us with no. 3 pick or if we can manage to pull of a trade with pick 3 and something else for GWS pick 1.

Not going to happen
Live the dream Old Mate, live the dream

then get it shattered on Draft Day :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

1. Tom Boyd - GWS
2. Josh Kelly - GWS
3. Jack Billings - StK
6. James Aish - Coll
7. Ben Lennon - Bris
9. Nathan Freeman - Melb

Hey Pav,

The trade centred around the Eagles wanting a pick to satisfy a trade for Elliot Yeo and the Pies wanting a pick for Jesse White. The Eagles also believe the player they want in the draft (Dom Sheed) will be available at pick 11....And Collingwood reap the benefits getting a lower first round selection (6).

It ended up:

Collingwood
6 (draft)
44 (Jesse White)

WCE
11 (draft)
31 (Elliot Yeo)

West Coast also got a sweetener from the Pies on top (pick 49).
Such a load of s***.

Chris Dawes got them 20 & 45... Bit apparently 31 is too much for White.

White is a much better footballer than Dawes.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:

PS: I'm not worried about any 'go home' factor. Who have we lost to that of late? I can only think of Black and Begley. Oh, and the other Irishman (ie; not the round ball world beater one). Anyone else?

PPS: Get Garlett! Go home factor!?! He clearly needs to get away from home! :idea: His girlfriend and Cuddles will keep him on track.
cripps and ledger ..not that long ago either dave... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Can someone please explain how Longer who has only played 9 games is worth us trading pick 25 for?

Doesn't make sense to me.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Live the dream Old Mate, live the dream

then get it shattered on Draft Day :wink: !!
Since I gave up hope I feel much better. Expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised!
dragit wrote:
Such a load of s***.

Chris Dawes got them 20 & 45... Bit apparently 31 is too much for White.

White is a much better footballer than Dawes.
The Pies certainly are good during trade negotiations. They also received great return on Wellington. Pricks.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Can someone please explain how Longer who has only played 9 games is worth us trading pick 25 for?

Doesn't make sense to me.
Because he's a highly mobile 201cm, 20 year old - shows great promise as a tap ruckman and was a top ten draft pick two years ago. McEvoy is gone and we're replacing him with a more versatile big man who has potentially ten years at the Saints as a quality ruckman.
It seems likely we have filled our key defensive holes, have added a mid who couldn't get a game with the premiers and still have three picks inside the top 20.
So spending what is essentially our fourth rounder on someone with that potential and rating is still a very good option.