Dal's now gone :(

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Re: Dal's now gone :(

plugger66 wrote:
SinCitySainter wrote:There is no fixed formula for FA, it is a set of non arbitrary measures and discretionary calls by the AFL.
We are not Sydney or Collingwood. We will be screwed.
What is the bet we get a pick at the end of the second round?

Poor us. we obviously got screwed from the BJ FA last year.
A former number one draft pick at the top of his game.
Considered in the top 5 players in the league just 12 months before hand.
Yeah we did get screwed.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
On the Ball wrote:I think everyone needs to put Dal's playing performances aside here and understand that there are current StKFC players who no longer want to be at the club. Like others, out of loyalty to his team mates, he wanted to stay, but given there is so much sh!t going on at Seaford, can you blame him for wanting out? From a business point of view, going to any current top 10 club is a better proposition than being at StK. The only reason the coach didnt get sacked was because they couldnt afford to pay out his final year.
Well said. Not sure about your comments re SW though, but once again I'm loving the off season. lots of drama

How the hell is it well said. looks like a bit of crap to me but happy for you to explain.
Just to play devils advocate here for a sec. There are plenty of rumours, unsure if true or not but nonetheless rumours that are similar to the view said by On the Ball.

Schillaci
Club Player

I feel like we are the Santa Claus club. Here's your present North. We gave the Filth ball. Goddard to Bummers.
Wish Dal all the best.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SinCitySainter wrote:There is no fixed formula for FA, it is a set of non arbitrary measures and discretionary calls by the AFL.
We are not Sydney or Collingwood. We will be screwed.
What is the bet we get a pick at the end of the second round?

Poor us. we obviously got screwed from the BJ FA last year.
A former number one draft pick at the top of his game.
Considered in the top 5 players in the league just 12 months before hand.
Yeah we did get screwed.

We got Band one so we didnt even slightly get screwed. It wouldnt matter if it was any club. You cant get higher than band one so you are incorrect.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I'm sad - my internal value was a top 20 pick for Dal.

So 22 to me is a minor loss for us.

But step back. Deep breath and start looking towards our next GF appearance in 2019.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Well said. Not sure about your comments re SW though, but once again I'm loving the off season. lots of drama

How the hell is it well said. looks like a bit of crap to me but happy for you to explain.
Just to play devils advocate here for a sec. There are plenty of rumours, unsure if true or not but nonetheless rumours that are similar to the view said by On the Ball.
You would think that Fisher leaving could also help with club moral. Loved him when he was at his peak but if he is still at the club next year then I hope he keeps out of the rumour mill.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

I reckon there are some issues at the club but Id be pretty sure we had the money to pay a contract out if we needed to so thats crap for a start. Also dont think many players want to leave even if a few are upset. ben certainly didnt. Dal obviously did but lets be honest it was the clubs call in the end. We were obviously happy to see him go. Doesnt seem anyone else is leaving apaprt from Chips and that may not even happen.

StPeter
Club Player

Not at all happy. On the surface we have been screwed over. We have lost, in my opinion, the club's second best player for what? At best a second round draft pick that may amount to nothing.

Surely we could have negotiated a better deal from North? If not the club should have exercised it's right to hang on to him. Maybe some backroom deal to come but I am still to be convinced.

How many more deals will our Club be screwed over???

bergsone
SS Life Member

NOT HAPPY

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda's head of football Chris Pelchen said the club was prepared to treat Dal Santo as a free agent because it was "beneficial to both him and St Kilda".
Quoted for posterity.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Sure we've lost Goddard & Dal Santo within 2 seasons, but we'll be compensated for it.

We'll look back on this in a few years time and smile, because there will be another team that loses 2 star players within 2 seasons, but wont get compensated for it.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Is 22 confirmed ? Jumping at shadows until we know all details...

#1 Ryder fan
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

StPeter wrote:Not at all happy. On the surface we have been screwed over. We have lost, in my opinion, the club's second best player for what? At best a second round draft pick that may amount to nothing.

Surely we could have negotiated a better deal from North? If not the club should have exercised it's right to hang on to him. Maybe some backroom deal to come but I am still to be convinced.

WE don't just get pick 22, we also get the full back we've been desperate for, and he will come to us for about pick 90 or so (or whatever pick we weren't going to use). Let's be clear about this, we have released Dal as a fre agent because we sought guidance from the AFL as to wht the compo would be, and it was better than the pick North could give us, so we agreed to release him as a free agent, they save on that pick and then are happy to let Delaney come to us for a pick they won't use becuaes they got to hang on to their second round pick.

It's not about being bent over, it's about getting the best out of the system you work within.........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
StPeter wrote:Not at all happy. On the surface we have been screwed over. We have lost, in my opinion, the club's second best player for what? At best a second round draft pick that may amount to nothing.

WE don't just get pick 22, we also get the full back we've been desperate for, and he will come to us for about pick 90 or so (or whatever pick we weren't going to use). Let's be clear about this, we have released Dal as a fre agent because we sought guidance from the AFL as to wht the compo would be, and it was better than the pick North could give us, so we agreed to release him as a free agent, they save on that pick and then are happy to let Delaney come to us for a pick they won't use becuaes they got to hang on to their second round pick.

It's not about being bent over, it's about getting the best out of the system you work within.........

Exactly what i said. Doesnt mean i agree with losing Dal or getting delaney but once we wanted both to happen we did what was best for the club.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I have found a way to support most decisions the club has made with the list in recent years but this one doesn't sit well with me - unless they have some kind of assurance the compo pick is going to better than what i have been assuming will be pick 22ish.

Completely f'd up the rest of my day :(

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

This will end up being a win for the club. Dal Santo's best football is well past him now. No longer will we have to tolerate him coasting at half pace, drifting in an out of games or being completely nullified by a hard tag. If we use all these picks wisely in the draft we'll be laughing in a few seasons time, while the Bummers and Norf will be lamenting having to pay huge chunks of their salary cap's to has-been's.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:

yes - logically and rationally you are correct.

Would prefered to have kept Dal, but maybe all the ducks will now line up so we can trade for Delaney, Bruce, and use the PSD for Jolley (regardless of what you think of the deal).

Obviously didn't want to use the PSD for Delaney.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
chook23
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:

Fullback we have been desperate for................................a dud..............he is an ordinary player..............a very regular VFL player

saint4life
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:This will end up being a win for the club. Dal Santo's best football is well past him now. No longer will we have to tolerate him coasting at half pace, drifting in an out of games or being completely nullified by a hard tag. If we use all these picks wisely in the draft we'll be laughing in a few seasons time, while the Bummers and Norf will be lamenting having to pay huge chunks of their salary cap's to has-been's.

It started pretty well for one of the has beens. he won the B&F. We will miss Dal. He still gets the ball nearly more than any other player and uses it better than any of our players. We missed BJ as well. We can spin it all we like. it may work for us eventually but it will hurt us now. The pressure is on the recruiters. if they do a good job its a win for us and if they fail the only win will be North.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Don't reckon NDS is well passed it or a has been :evil:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: Fullback we have been desperate for................................a dud..............he is an ordinary player..............a very regular VFL player
I take it you didn't watch any of our fullbackless (see all 22 games) games last year.

We need a big stopper to compliment outr running backs.

Delaney will do the Dawson role - take the oppositions best forward, this means the likes of Roberton, Dempster, Gwilt, Fisher, Gilbert etc can take the lesser forwards.

If you dont think we needed a fullback, you didn't see us this season.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
chook23
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
chook23 wrote: Fullback we have been desperate for................................a dud..............he is an ordinary player..............a very regular VFL player
I take it you didn't watch any of our fullbackless (see all 22 games) games last year.

We need a big stopper to compliment outr running backs.

Delaney will do the Dawson role - take the oppositions best forward, this means the likes of Roberton, Dempster, Gwilt, Fisher, Gilbert etc can take the lesser forwards.

If you dont think we needed a fullback, you didn't see us this season.
We are desperate for a good FB..................yes I did see many games and we do

just think Delaney is a very average player and will not solve the problem.

saint4life
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:Don't reckon NDS is well passed it or a has been :evil:
No, he could easily have another three good seasons in him. He's a very durable player, rarely injured. Granted he'll slow down a bit, but he'll still have the evasive skills and footy smarts.

Big win for the Kangaroos afaics

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote: We are desperate for a good FB..................yes I did see many games and we do

just think Delaney is a very average player and will not solve the problem.

Everyone is desperate for a good fullback. Who was on offer that we could have got?

Delaney doesn't have to be a world beater, just about on average with Zac would be fine.

Can structure the defence around him and he can make it difficult for the Riewoldts, and Schultz, and Gumbletons, and Tippett's of the world.

May even make them work for their goals.

Lance or James??

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote:
saintsrus wrote:Part of me is gutted and part is happy after watching him half pace in most of his games, gotta back the club in these decisions
That partly resonates with me too. Kind of felt like he was the Mark Waugh of St Kilda for a while there. Still - of all the kids we drafted in 2001/2, he was the one I loved watching plat the most. All good things come to an end

\

2001 draftees...

ball with the filth
clarke retired after transferring to the lions...never reached half his potential
dal to north
maguire to the lions after a shocking injury
montagna...still a saint.....probably trade him out next year if we don't still trade him this year
houlihan....never got a fair go or a game...delisted
black left to go back to freo
knobel ..to richmond if my memory doesn't fail me

....best draft of all time too......we overlooked judd for ball.....we really are a rabble aren't we,,,,???????????????? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.