Ross Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon

Moods wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Best coach in the AFL.
Best defensive tactical coach in the game I'll grant you. Despite Geelong doing a lot of stuff wrong it still went down to the wire as per usual with Ross' teams in finals. Pavlich willed them over the line like Roo did for us a couple of times in finals. Still not convinced they can kick enough goals in big finals to go all the way.

And this wasn't a big final??? :shock:

Not one other team could have done what Freo just did this arvo. He has put them in the box seat to play off in their first ever GF. They will play no-one now in the prelim. Hawks, cats pies are all on the other side of the draw. Sydney are too injury depleted from where I sit to make a real impact. Let's just give Ross credit where credit is due. Was an unbelievable effort. His team has kicked big scores this year - goal kicking isn't a problem for them.
It was big but the Prelim is another notch up in terms of intensity and pressure and goals are even harder to get. And the Grand final harder yet again. Today reminded me so much of being a St Kilda supporter in big games under Ross - they never get more than 1 or 2 goals ahead - often comes down to a couple of big plays or how the ball bounces - destroys your nerves :shock: Freos big scoring was in the junk games or junk time a lot like St Kilda did under Ross. Today you saw them return to type - conservative. I have no doubt the Prelim will be close and low scoring. If swans get back some players (need Goodes desperately) they can match Freo's pressure and then Freo will struggle to score.
Last edited by Bluthy on Sat 07 Sep 2013 9:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:What is the greatest number of Lost grand finals by a coach without winning one?
It might be 4 after this year :lol:
He's lost 2
Tom Hafey has probably lost more..anyway

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
SuperDuper
Club Player

good coach

i thought the dockers might just do the cats .... was not surprised at all

RL knows what he is doing

Desperatley unlucky to lose that GF to cats... dominated them but bad kicking killed us.. not much a coach can do when guys like Mine and Schneider are missing ones they normally eat for breakfast

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Tommy Hafey is a multiple premiership coach AND a very decent gentleman!

Megsie
Club Player

Judas

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Tommy Hafey is a multiple premiership coach AND a very decent gentleman!
have you met him, I have, he hates St Kilda with a passion, quizzed me for an hour on why I barrack for a rabble like St Kilda :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:Tommy Hafey is a multiple premiership coach AND a very decent gentleman!
have you met him, I have, he hates St Kilda with a passion, quizzed me for an hour on why I barrack for a rabble like St Kilda :roll:
Matter of fact I have met him multiple times and nothing like that has ever been mentioned.
Maybe he just holds the mirror up and all your personal negativity bounces back!
In relation to Lyon only Bob Rose has coached 3 GF losses, Lyon bearing down fast with 2.5 and some carlton dude in early 1900's with 2.
Every other coach with more than 2 GF's has won at least one....
Hopefully in 3 weeks time Lyon will be the outright leader.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:Freo are on the verge of greatness and we're burning dwarves. Pretty sure Ross can sleep at night.
Remind me again what happened in Rossy's last game for us? oh, yeah, that's right WE LOST A HOME GROUND FINAL TO AN INTERSTATE TEAM!!!
Agreed he's a great coach, no doubt, but let's not give a revisionist history lesson guys. THE BLOKE WALKED OUT ON US AND USED MELBOURNE"S OFFER AS LEVERAGE TO GET A BETTER DEAL FROM FREO.
:roll:
that is all.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:
Matter of fact I have met him multiple times and nothing like that has ever been mentioned.
Maybe he just holds the mirror up and all your personal negativity bounces back!
In relation to Lyon only Bob Rose has coached 3 GF losses, Lyon bearing down fast with 2.5 and some carlton dude in early 1900's with 2.
Blight had 3 :shock:

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Not one other team could have done what Freo just did this arvo. He has put them in the box seat to play off in their first ever GF. They will play no-one now in the prelim. Hawks, cats pies are all on the other side of the draw. Sydney are too injury depleted from where I sit to make a real impact. Let's just give Ross credit where credit is due. Was an unbelievable effort. His team has kicked big scores this year - goal kicking isn't a problem for them.[/quote]
It was big but the Prelim is another notch up in terms of intensity and pressure and goals are even harder to get. And the Grand final harder yet again. Today reminded me so much of being a St Kilda supporter in big games under Ross - they never get more than 1 or 2 goals ahead - often comes down to a couple of big plays or how the ball bounces - destroys your nerves :shock: Freos big scoring was in the junk games or junk time a lot like St Kilda did under Ross. Today you saw them return to type - conservative. I have no doubt the Prelim will be close and low scoring. If swans get back some players (need Goodes desperately) they can match Freo's pressure and then Freo will struggle to score.[/quote]

Freo will flog the Swans. Absolutely belt them.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Buckley is more of a spud than Harvey.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Buckley is more of a spud than Harvey.
How many years has he got left?
Be great to see him and Eddie fall out!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Amazing match day coach

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Amazing match day coach
Fantastic especially in GF's
ask Luke Ball

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:

what did you say?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Ken Hinkley's effort in bringing Port into the finals after winning 5 games last year is a pretty good effort.........

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Didn't say amazing GF day coach

Match day coach.... He's won 70% of games and turned two cultural on field basket cases into feared opponents

70s sainter
Club Player

Calais wrote:Bakes just said on Facebook that Saints forced him out and chose not to renew his contract. Weird.
What's it matter when he back doors the club and walks out mid contract anyway. He has no morals - face facts.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:
Hafey was adamant on his opinion of Stkilda, just as he was when he gave a tribute to Sheedy on Fox Footy, it has nothing to do with me, i'm just letting you know what Hafey really thinks

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He didn't walk out mid contract? Weird comment?!

Stk did not renew his contract...

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He didn't walk out mid contract? Weird comment?!

I thought he walked on the option of his final year

I thought he went chasing a better list disguised as a move for money to ward off bankruptcy due to him being a financial moron

Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

He pulled Scott's pants down today. I went and had a look at the game today and Ross continues to get the best out of the players and the discipline Freo show to play within his structures is amazing.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

kos wrote:Super coach, appreciate what he tried to achieve with us but unhappy about the way he left our list. Good luck Ross hope you can go all the way you deserve it.
Why doesn't everyone stop being bitter, stkilda supporters got a lot of pleasure out of this mans tenure at the club but we never talk of the good times enough.
100% agree.

Can't believe that ppl still find things to criticise him about. Is the best coach in the league atm, closely followed by Clarkson and Hinkley probably. All brilliant modern day coaches

suss
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Didn't say amazing GF day coach

Match day coach.... He's won 70% of games and turned two cultural on field basket cases into feared opponents
He's very good in GFs too. We would've won in 2009 had our players nailed their opportunities. Not Lyon's fault. While it was a mistake, I doubt a few minutes more of Luke Ball on the field would've made the difference.

And his performance in the 2010 first GF was very good. Sending Gilbert forward, shutting down their attack after half time. We were never the equal of Collingwood that year. Great effort to get so close.

I think he's the best in the business. Shame he didn't stay.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Wayne42 wrote:
BigMart wrote:He didn't walk out mid contract? Weird comment?!

I thought he walked on the option of his final year

I thought he went chasing a better list disguised as a move for money to ward off bankruptcy due to him being a financial moron
Up until 2011 RL's contract included financial incentives to get the team into the finals. Thus he fought like hell to get the Saints into the eight, at the cost of junior development, just so he could help repay his mounting debts.

By the end of 2011, the club fully accepted that the team was about to go into a rebuilding phase and wanted RL's new contract to reflect that: a flat rate without incentives, so he could concentrate on development rather than finals appearances.

But RL's paranoia about his financial situation, his fears about damaging his peerless win-loss ratio, and his dislike of the new recruiting and player management structure, compelled him to contrive moral rationalisations for accepting Freo's more lucrative offer.

Great coach. Ordinary bloke.