Siposs - what went wrong?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Siposs - what went wrong?

plugger66 wrote:
Kickit wrote:He's not unlike 2004 Brendon Goddard.
Look at BJ stats that year and Siposs this year. Nothing similar at all. Siposs has had a shocker. He needs to get of his arse and work hard and more importantly attack the ball harder. He has the skills but there is more to AFL footy than that.

Very hard to compare on stats especially considering goddard was played in any game he was fit for and given time on ball. Siposs if he playesis as a utility or on a wing. The similarity is that goddard was moved around a fair bit and never looked very good or very settled early on.

Siposs wants to improve for the good of his game but not many find their feet in a couple of seasons.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Kickit wrote:He's not unlike 2004 Brendon Goddard.
Look at BJ stats that year and Siposs this year. Nothing similar at all. Siposs has had a shocker. He needs to get of his arse and work hard and more importantly attack the ball harder. He has the skills but there is more to AFL footy than that.

Very hard to compare on stats especially considering goddard was played in any game he was fit for and given time on ball. Siposs if he playesis as a utility or on a wing. The similarity is that goddard was moved around a fair bit and never looked very good or very settled early on.

Siposs wants to improve for the good of his game but not many find their feet in a couple of seasons.

He wont be on the list if it takes a couple more seasons and neither he should be. Needs to play well next year. And thay have pretty much played the same positions. BJ didnt really play on the ball in 2004 as you actually said when you said he moved around a bit. he didnt look very good but he looked a hell of a lot better than Siposs and mabe he should have. he was pick one. Siposs was pick 171.

Kickit
Club Player

BJ had one game in 2010 where he got 10 contested disposals.
All of his others ranged from 0 to 8 ( more zero's , only one 8 ).
Sippo has not had less than 2 contested possession games this year ( a couple last year ). His CP's have ranged from 2 to 8 ( only one 8 ).
As far as this stat goes, ( indicative of effort to some extent ) I find them comparable.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:BJ had one game in 2010 where he got 10 contested disposals.
Sippo has not had less than 2 contested possession games this year ( a couple last year ). His CP's have ranged from 2 to 8 ( only one 8 ).
As far as this stat goes, ( indicative of effort to some extent ) I find them comparable.

Its amazing what you can do with stats. Effort would be one of Siposs problems so i think sometime you need to just watch the game. If we are being serious we cannot slightly compare BJ third year to Siposs. i have no idea why you used 2010 stats. I reckon BJ had plenty of effort that year.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Get him fighting fit and cherry ripe with a productive pre-season under his belt and he could be a new man by 2014.

I think he has a lot of natural ability. Fitness and confidence were down this year. This can be turned around. He'll only be 21 next year and still has all the chance in the world to be a gun player. Would seem too rash for the club to delist him.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I actually see him as trying too hard and not playing intuitive footy. Looks like he over thinks it.

Kickit
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Kickit wrote:BJ had one game in 2010 where he got 10 contested disposals.

Its amazing what you can do with stats. Effort would be one of Siposs problems so i think sometime you need to just watch the game. If we are being serious we cannot slightly compare BJ third year to Siposs. i have no idea why you used 2010 stats. I reckon BJ had plenty of effort that year.
Arrrgh I must be retarded. Those stats are from 2004. What happened to him in finals 2004. I cant remember but his stats are dismal. He has TOG though.
I'm not too concerned about Siposs yet. But if he doesn't improve after the next pre-season I will be getting there.

Kickit
Club Player

On the topic of misleading stats.
I just thought I'd look at Jarryd Allen's stats (to compare with Sippo), who I ( as well as most others I think ) remember as being on the cusp when he was injured.
Wow they are seriously not good Stats.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:On the topic of misleading stats.
I just thought I'd look at Jarryd Allen's stats (to compare with Sippo), who I ( as well as most others I think ) remember as being on the cusp when he was injured.

In his defence he played when he probably wasnt ready and was more of a key forward.

noob
Club Player

He was more of a key forward. Would probably still be at St.Kilda today (only 25) if he didn't get badly injured.

Kickit
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Kickit wrote:On the topic of misleading stats.

In his defence he played when he probably wasnt ready and was more of a key forward.
Yeah it wasn't my intent to bag him, but Sippo also played much of his junior footy as a key forward.

Sippos has also still be growing according to some reports. I tend to think that its only after they stop growing that players really settle in and get consistent.
Anyway I wont be writing him off yet.