Macca trade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Macca trade

Con Gorozidis wrote:If you reckon Macca is the best then keep him and trade Rhys.
You reckon anyone would want him? Look he may still come on, but atm I rate the other two above him as ruckmen.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Wayne42 wrote: Hopefully in the next couple of years McEvoy will win a hit out and then we'll be glad we've kept him... :lol: :lol:
seriously, last week he got 34 and kicked three goals, perhaps you should start watching a game. :lol: :lol: :idea:

Seeya
Greg T
Club Player

lefty wrote:Why would you trade Macca for?
This is just a stupid thread.

/Close thread
Totally agree...
Love the Big Boy ,
Why would we get rid of him...?

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
dals_da_bomb
Club Player

would be disappointed to lose him.
But i say the same thing about losing any of our players.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
Wayne42 wrote: Hopefully in the next couple of years McEvoy will win a hit out and then we'll be glad we've kept him... :lol: :lol:
seriously, last week he got 34 and kicked three goals, perhaps you should start watching a game. :lol: :lol: :idea:
Got one... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
rexy
SS Life Member

Hugh Goddard hey! Probably up and leave us! Have 2 family members ever been number 1 picks? Doubt it!

Oh yeah, Macevoy not on the table IMO!

Maybe this year?
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:

playing devil's advocate, it's concerning how average he seems to be as a ruck

we often get slaughtered in the hit outs and Ben often gets beaten by 2nd to 3rd year players

again the question is, is he going to get better?

this guy Boyd sounds like he may be the Roo of a future generation. Clear stand out destined to be a star... best KPP for some years blah blah...

I agree that we don't have much to trade with other than Ben, is Ben going to be an elite player? Yes or no

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:I dont get it. We lack players around Bens age and we want to get rid of him. We have seen Stanley for 5 years and there is no proof what so ever he is a capable AFL football. It is to early to call on Hickey except for one here who rates him as good as a set of steak knives. What a joke after 3 seasons in the system and slow improvement this year.

So we do it and get Boyd but who gets it down to him. Lenny, dal and joey are probably retired or close to it when Boyd is ready and we are then hoping players that may be good are all of a sudden very good to replace these guys. Also our forward line will have White, Lee, Stanley as talls then or are we saying they wont be of standard so we need more talls.

People need to realise the game is getting more and more about mids. Just look at how many goals is leading the Coleman. Get mids this year and next and next and leave later picks to the big guys who take time anyway. They say this guy is like Hawkins. Well he took years to come good and that was with a great midffield give him plenty of chances.
Possibly your best post.

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

skeptic wrote:
this guy Boyd sounds like he may be the Roo of a future generation. Clear stand out destined to be a star... best KPP for some years blah blah...

I agree that we don't have much to trade with other than Ben, is Ben going to be an elite player? Yes or no
Is ANYONE on our list under 25 going to be elite?
ok i get the point about trying to compare him with an obvious potential elite in NicNat tap work wise, but mcevoy has a few other traits to his game, namely consistency, endurance, work rate & goal kicking
At this point for a ruck his age Ben is tracking ok

Seeya
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
skeptic wrote:

ok i get the point about trying to compare him with an obvious potential elite in NicNat tap work wise, but mcevoy has a few other traits to his game, namely consistency, endurance, work rate & goal kicking
I dont know if it's about comparing him to the elite though

Maybe some1 that watches more games than me can answer... Is he a good ruckman? The match reports tell me he is good around the ground and gets carved up in the ruck fairly regularly.

noob
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:
skeptic wrote:

I think Steven is on his way to being elite.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dals_da_bomb wrote:would be disappointed to lose him.

I love all your posts. Just overnight i realised how good they were.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dals_da_bomb wrote:would be disappointed to lose him.

I love all your posts. Just overnight i realised how good they were.
:lol:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:
sunsaint wrote:
skeptic wrote:

I think Steven is on his way to being elite.

I would say Steven will be in the top 5 mids in the comp in a couple of years- he is getting to be very very good. He still flies under the radar a bit.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:We have three Ruckman the same age so I would trade Macca if we got offered awesome from gws.
Would have to be two guns.
Why? McEvoy is the best of the three and the only one guaranteed a senior game. I rate Hickey a very good prospect as well. Let's not trade away our future.
If you reckon Macca is the best then keep him and trade Rhys .
I just don't reckon we should keep Rhys hickey and Macca if and it's a big IF someone offers something decent for one of them.
I wouldn't get rid of any of them just yet and not because I think all 3 can be part of our next "best 22" but more because one of them could become part of a decent trade within the next 2 to 3 years. Big man stocks can strengthen your trade currency so we might as well develop all three of them for the time being. In any case I doubt Mackca is going anywhere.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I have not seen Boyd play so I cant comment whether or not he is the next Reiwoldt or the next Jack Watts (who I recall at the time was being compared to a young Reiwoldt).

Anyway - I have seen Aish and he is going to be a genuine gun midfielder and future AA. I hope he is still there at our pick as he is a great replacement for Dal or Joey. Scharenburg I think is also going to be very good - I have only seen him a few times but looks like he is probably the most versatile of the top 3 (Boyd and Aish) , and we could probably shape him into a CHB of the Sam Fisher type in years to come. Lots of opportunity to get game time in the back half next year I reckon as Newnes and Webster can probably start getting exposure in the middle

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Big mac getting destroyed by Vardey at the moment

chook23
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:Big mac getting destroyed by Vardey at the moment
big mac is slow and can not jump that well

a lumbering type

still not convinced about him

saint4life
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

chook23 wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:Big mac getting destroyed by Vardey at the moment
big mac is slow and can not jump that well

a lumbering type

still not convinced about him
Exactly only played 2 good games this yeal. Has not improved since 2011

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Bugger. Just when he looks like getting back in it, he disappears without a trace.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

I think we should at least explore the possibility of trading McEvoy, we would be silly not to.

We go to GWS and say, IF we were to put McEvoy on the table for #1, what sort of cash would you offer him. We then take that answer and say to Ben, 'look, we really value what you bring to the club and we are in no way pushing you out the door, but the Giants have offered us the number 1 pick for you and they're prepared to pay $Xxx, xxx over X years.'

If Ben says he wants to stay, then end of story, he stays. If Ben is tempted by the amount of money GWS are offering, then we look to get a deal done. Ben and #3 for #1 and #10 would be reasonable. Or Ben and Gilbert for #1.

At the end of the day I think there's no way Ben will want to move to Sydney and as such, he gets to stay at the Saints and will probably captain us in the future. I also doubt whether the #1 pick is actually on the table at all. I can see GWS just hanging onto it and then saying no clubs were prepared to 'come to the table'.

If Ben was to leave I think it would really benefit Hickey, but I just can't see it happening.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

It was 3 around the ground touches at 80% time on ground 3rd quarter. Not good enough

noob
Club Player

Well he isn't worth close to pick 1 on tonights performance.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

If the Saints tried to offer McEvoy as the main part of a trade for pick 1, I can picture Silvagni , Allan and Cameron rolling around the turf of Skoda stadium, laughing their heads off.

Unfortunately I can see why we went after Hickey and why Elshaug wanted Pierce

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

BackFromUSA wrote:
BigMart wrote:I would keep McEvoy.... He is a fair player....

Trade Hickey.... For a set of steak knives... Or even a player we actually need??!!

Question
What if Boyd is not that great.... And Aish turns out a star?
What if Boyd dominates against other kids 15kg lighter and 3 inches shorter, but struggles against men of the same size?
We might pick up Aish with pick 3 ... if he isn't taken at 2.

Picks 1, 3 and 20 (assuming the Bombers have no 1st round draft pick) sounds OK to me as part of the re-build.
Considering what we already have, that would be the rebuild done.

If we were to somehow attain those picks, I would like is to trade at least one for a position of need.