I took banned drug: Watson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: I took banned drug: Watson

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/e ... 6669045577

ESSENDON great Tim Watson remains confident the Bomber players will be given the all-clear following ASADA's investigation into the club's supplements program.

Watson's belief, citing confidential information he has been made privy to, follows his son, Jobe's revelations on Fox Footy last night.

The Essendon captain said he took a drug he believed to be AOD-9604 - a substance since confirmed as banned under anti-doping rules.

citing confidential information?
from who numpty?
asada and wada??? LMFAO

yup asada and wada slipped old timmy boy a few bits of info on the sly while the investigation was going on so his brownlow winning son can relax and hold on to his Chas with a clear conscience

what bollocks

savatage
SS Life Member

Damage control mode. Trying to soften the public's perception that they did anything wrong.

markp
Saintsational Legend

WADA statement on substance AOD-9604
April 22, 2013
Following a number of inquiries regarding the substance AOD-9604 available on the Internet ‘black market’ and possibly elsewhere, WADA has issued the following statement:

AOD-9604 is a substance still under pre-clinical and clinical development and has not been approved for therapeutic use by any government health authority in the world.

Therefore, under the 2013 Prohibited Substances and Methods List, the substance falls into the S.0 category which states:

“S0. NON-APPROVED SUBSTANCES

Any pharmacological substance which is not addressed by any of the subsequent sections of the List and with no current approval by any governmental regulatory health authority for human therapeutic use (e.g drugs under pre-clinical or clinical development or discontinued, designer drugs, substances approved only for veterinary use) is prohibited at all times.”

For more advice and information regarding medication or supplements, athletes are advised to contact their national anti-doping organization or international federation.
http://playtrue.wada-ama.org/news/wada- ... -aod-9604/

I don't see how it could be any clearer.

I don't see how anyone could 'believe' they'd done nothing wrong or would be cleared if they'd (knowingly or otherwise) taken it.

Gotta wonder if they're now confessing to this in a bid to hide worse... their tactic has always seemed to be to fall back behind a new rampart as the previous one becomes indefensible.

They may as well be playing hide-and-seek on the Titanic's listing deck, if you ask me.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The health issue cannot be forgotten in all of this. ASADA must send a clear message to EFC and all sporting organisations and especially to these high performance/sports science professionals that our young athletes cannot be used as guinea pigs.

I mean seriously - where is the product coming from and who is the supplier of the AOD. Is it an approved manufacturer or some sort of black market operation looking to maximise profit at the expense of Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) health standards?

If AOD hasn't been approved for human use (i.e. you can't get a prescription for the stuff) maybe the emergence of a black market for AOD9604 also raised alarm bells at TGA Australia.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

but but but...timmy has confidential information

unreal
look at the quote from markp
it cannot get any clearer

unless
this was not the case when it was taken by essendon last year

but i believe it was still classed as SO back in 2012

massive pr exercise with jobe going on the show and saying it
obviously all pre planned with what he would answer and say

buggered if i know why they would do it tho
maybe it IS to try and soften some blow from the hammer that is hurling their way

StevieSaint
Club Player

The Bombers have been coached to talk the way they are..."We are confident we haven't done anything wrong" and all that other c r a p they are spinning. That way when they get found GUILTY they will spin this one. "Wow, we are totally shocked with the result, we can't believe it...we were always under the belief that we have done all the right things...blah blah blah." They are going down...for the first time in this whole saga I am finally leaning towards they are going down. Dirty D O G S! Ruining the game with this garbage...

GO SAINTS GO
markp
Saintsational Legend

Jobe's father, and Bombers great, Tim Watson, supports his son on SEN:

"They were given this as part of their supplement program ... but they (Essendon) and the players are certain that they haven't taken a banned substance," Watson says.

"I guess the contentious thing here will be whether or not it's a banned substance and whether or not the information they were given at the time about it being a banned substance and the properties of AOD."

Responding to Jobe Watson's admission, WADA president John Fahey says its stance on AOD-6904 hasn't changed.

"You are responsible for what goes into your system, it's a strict liability," Fahey told the AFL website
Bizarre defence is bizarre.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

The whole thing stinks... The competition is a rotting pile of excrement at the moment, and Essendon's smugness throughout this whole saga shows just how morally bankrupt this competition has become... The fact that they are still running the line of 'we're confident we've done nothing wrong', where their story has changed so many times, yet not held to account, is sickening...

It started as 1 or 2 vitamin injections for 5/6 players, according to McVeigh.. It's now unraveled to Jobe admitting to taking AOD, yet they've still got a clear conscious.. Take his goddamn Brownlow off him, HE CHEATED!!!...

And the fact that germs like Mark Thompson continue to go on shows like AFL360 and given leeway is just as bad... Watching him squirm last night when Robbo asked him a powder puff question was enough to know this bloke is in on it up to his eyeballs, and taking us all for fools...

They deserve to have their AFL license taken from them, and kicked out of the competition... Instead, they will get a fine, and ultimately battle through the adversity bestowed upon them by big bad Dank (why Dank would undertake such a regime without consent from a higher authority, i.e. Hird, and risk his career and reputation, is beyond me)...

The fact that key players have signed on for many more years during this investigation, despite the evidence that these drugs can be seriously dangerous, shows just how deluded and inbred their culture is... We all thought that the players, and parents in particular would be horrified by what occurred in the off site injecting rooms... Instead they've all bought in and signed on... 'Whatever it takes' is truer by the day...

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Let's get serious here.
Since being 'tipped off' that the ACC were going to 'drop a bombshell' and publicly announce it, Essendon has been in 'damage control'.

Every move they've made since has been co-ordinated and scripted.

Maybe with one exception - Thompson on FOX 360 the night news of Essendon dobbing themselves in broke said words to the effect of 'we knew we were close to the edge'.
That gave it all away to me.
If you are positive/sure/certain that everything is above board (with nothing to worry about) then you are certainly nowhere 'near the edge'. The mere thought of being 'close to the edge' tells me you know what you are doing isn't 100% correct.

They as a Club set out to gain an advantage over everybody else.
They employed people who had reputations for being 'cutting edge' (aka crooks) and embarked on a program they knew to be 'close to the edge'.
How do we know that?
Because they went to such lengths to hide/disguise it.
They 'hid' it from their own club doctor.
They made the players sign 'consent forms'. Amazingly no player showed this 'consent form' to a manager or agent :lol: :lol: :lol:
(Does anybody really truly believe that Mark McVeigh, in all the conversations he had with his brother Jared McVeigh, never once raised the issue of 'consent' forms and 'off-site injecting rooms'?)

And if anybody thinks that James Hird let his players undergo a sports science program 'close to the edge' without having full understanding of what they were given and what the side effects vs benefits were going to be then they probably also believe in the tooth fairy.

As for Mark Thompson, the man who recommended Robinson (who brought along Dank), not knowing exactly what was going on then they're living in 'cloud cuckoo land'!
He's the one who, I'm sure, vouched for Robinson's methods. Methods that Bomber saw first hand when he employed him at Geelong.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Systematic use of PED's > Systematic salary cap breach.

EFC's punishment > CFC's punishment.

Surely.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So Timmy Watson has special secret info given to him by ASADA?

What a f*ckhead.

Mr Magic - you are spot on Buddy.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:My wife works with people close to Essendon footy club and they believe that there will be no penalty. Their legal team is extremely confident. It wasn't banned according to them and they will fight this in court and have the back up of blaming it all on Dank. AFL has a fight on their hands to even fight this in court. A nominal fine is all I'm thinking will come from it.

It was meant to be legal according to the ASADA website at the time.
Not a surprise that they're confident. Typical defence solicitors. Deny, deny, counter acuse. Act self righteous and be positive. It's all scare tactics. "If you penalise our players we'll sue."

I reckon they're cooked.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:The whole thing stinks... The competition is a rotting pile of excrement at the moment, and Essendon's smugness throughout this whole saga shows just how morally bankrupt this competition has become... The fact that they are still running the line of 'we're confident we've done nothing wrong', where their story has changed so many times, yet not held to account, is sickening...

It started as 1 or 2 vitamin injections for 5/6 players, according to McVeigh.. It's now unraveled to Jobe admitting to taking AOD, yet they've still got a clear conscious.. Take his goddamn Brownlow off him, HE CHEATED!!!...

And the fact that germs like Mark Thompson continue to go on shows like AFL360 and given leeway is just as bad... Watching him squirm last night when Robbo asked him a powder puff question was enough to know this bloke is in on it up to his eyeballs, and taking us all for fools...

They deserve to have their AFL license taken from them, and kicked out of the competition... Instead, they will get a fine, and ultimately battle through the adversity bestowed upon them by big bad Dank (why Dank would undertake such a regime without consent from a higher authority, i.e. Hird, and risk his career and reputation, is beyond me)...

The fact that key players have signed on for many more years during this investigation, despite the evidence that these drugs can be seriously dangerous, shows just how deluded and inbred their culture is... We all thought that the players, and parents in particular would be horrified by what occurred in the off site injecting rooms... Instead they've all bought in and signed on... 'Whatever it takes' is truer by the day...
+100 million. Enough is enough already

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:The health issue cannot be forgotten in all of this. ASADA must send a clear message to EFC and all sporting organisations and especially to these high performance/sports science professionals that our young athletes cannot be used as guinea pigs.

I mean seriously - where is the product coming from and who is the supplier of the AOD. Is it an approved manufacturer or some sort of black market operation looking to maximise profit at the expense of Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) health standards?

If AOD hasn't been approved for human use (i.e. you can't get a prescription for the stuff) maybe the emergence of a black market for AOD9604 also raised alarm bells at TGA Australia.
Does the AOD work as a diuretic? If so , then what are they trying to wash from their bodies. The AOD is just the tip of the iceberg really

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
WADA statement on substance AOD-9604
April 22, 2013
Following a number of inquiries regarding the substance AOD-9604 available on the Internet ‘black market’ and possibly elsewhere, WADA has issued the following statement:

AOD-9604 is a substance still under pre-clinical and clinical development and has not been approved for therapeutic use by any government health authority in the world.

Therefore, under the 2013 Prohibited Substances and Methods List, the substance falls into the S.0 category which states:

“S0. NON-APPROVED SUBSTANCES

Any pharmacological substance which is not addressed by any of the subsequent sections of the List and with no current approval by any governmental regulatory health authority for human therapeutic use (e.g drugs under pre-clinical or clinical development or discontinued, designer drugs, substances approved only for veterinary use) is prohibited at all times.”

For more advice and information regarding medication or supplements, athletes are advised to contact their national anti-doping organization or international federation.
http://playtrue.wada-ama.org/news/wada- ... -aod-9604/

I don't see how it could be any clearer.

I don't see how anyone could 'believe' they'd done nothing wrong or would be cleared if they'd (knowingly or otherwise) taken it.

Gotta wonder if they're now confessing to this in a bid to hide worse... their tactic has always seemed to be to fall back behind a new rampart as the previous one becomes indefensible.

They may as well be playing hide-and-seek on the Titanic's listing deck, if you ask me.
That's the 2013 version...
Essendon would be under the 2012 version...
http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/World ... 012_EN.pdf
The very first section states...
The World Anti-Doping Code THE 2012 PROHIBITED LIST INTERNATIONAL STANDARD PROHIBITED SUBSTANCES wrote: S0. NON-APPROVED SUBSTANCES
Any pharmacological substance which is not addressed by any of the subsequent sections of the List and with no current approval by any governmental regulatory health authority for human therapeutic use (e.g drugs under pre-clinical or clinical development or discontinued, designer drugs, veterinary medicines) is prohibited at all times.
So the same caveat applied in 2012.
By the way that took me 30 seconds to find using google. A elite professional athlete should have it listed on his favourites.
Last edited by Life Long Saint on Tue 25 Jun 2013 3:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

My take is the players are now confident of getting off, well at least watson. On SEn today they pointed out the 50 page report about drugs in sport specifically stated the drug watson took wasnt illegal. i know people will say but it wasnt approved for human use but whay mention that drug. There would be many not fit for human use. It was WADA who mentioned it in the report. It has since been banned.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:My take is the players are now confident of getting off, well at least watson. On SEn today they pointed out the 50 page report about drugs in sport specifically stated the drug watson took wasnt illegal. i know people will say but it wasnt approved for human use but whay mention that drug. There would be many not fit for human use. It was WADA who mentioned it in the report. It has since been banned.
Well WADA clearly have a different view.
And the AFL has agreed to implement the WADA code.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote: ....key players have signed on for many more years during this investigation, despite the evidence that these drugs can be seriously dangerous....
Who knows what's in these new contracts. Maybe a 'hush money' clause!! Or...maybe with hefty salaries comes the expectation that the players will stick fat through their 12 month bans and no-one will sue EFC

Edit...on second thoughts - they added to the list and paid a bloke called BJ 800K per year - they actually believed they'd get away with it and new that they were a chance to challenge with a much improved list of 'cheats'.
Last edited by Scollop on Tue 25 Jun 2013 3:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:My take is the players are now confident of getting off, well at least watson. On SEn today they pointed out the 50 page report about drugs in sport specifically stated the drug watson took wasnt illegal. i know people will say but it wasnt approved for human use but whay mention that drug. There would be many not fit for human use. It was WADA who mentioned it in the report. It has since been banned.

That part of the document was written by WADA so i have no idea what you mean.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:

THE WORLD Anti-Doping Agency has reaffirmed the banned status of AOD-9604 after Essendon captain Jobe Watson admitted he'd been injected with the substance.

But WADA president John Fahey said on Tuesday "nothing has changed" and repeated the obligations athletes are under.

"You are responsible for what goes into your system, it's a strict liability," Fahey told AFL.com.au.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-25/j ... g-use-wada

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote: Well WADA clearly have a different view.

THE WORLD Anti-Doping Agency has reaffirmed the banned status of AOD-9604 after Essendon captain Jobe Watson admitted he'd been injected with the substance.

But WADA president John Fahey said on Tuesday "nothing has changed" and repeated the obligations athletes are under.

"You are responsible for what goes into your system, it's a strict liability," Fahey told AFL.com.au.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-25/j ... g-use-wada

The report that the government wrote on drugs in sport early this year stated from WADA that the drug Watson took wsnt banned. It was read out word for word on SEN today. i havent seen the report but I dont Craig harper was making it up.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66, the WADA spokesperson has come out and reaffirmed that AOD is banned.

It's obvious the Bombers are attempting to get off via a loophole or under the circumstances where there is no fault to the players. Those circumstances are for cases such as your drink/food being spiked not in the case that you sign a form which lists the substance and you take it knowing what it is which Jobe admitted to doing last night.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:plugger66, the WADA spokesperson has come out and reaffirmed that AOD is banned.

It's obvious the Bombers are attempting to get off via a loophole or under the circumstances where there is not fault to the players. Those circumstances are for cases such as your drink/food being spiked not in the case that you sign a form which lists the substance and you take it knowing what it is which Jobe admitted to doing last night.

Is is banned and I said that. the report from WADA said it wasnt when the report came out early this year. Can you explain that? And i think whatever the bombers say now will have nothing to do with whether they are found guilty or not. ASADA arent some small little company who will get sucked in by whatever method Essendon use. Im guessing ASADA may have given them some positive news otherwise why would they suddenly come out now with this.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:plugger66, the WADA spokesperson has come out and reaffirmed that AOD is banned.

It's obvious the Bombers are attempting to get off via a loophole or under the circumstances where there is not fault to the players. Those circumstances are for cases such as your drink/food being spiked not in the case that you sign a form which lists the substance and you take it knowing what it is which Jobe admitted to doing last night.

Is is banned and I said that. the report from WADA said it wasnt when the report came out early this year. Can you explain that? And i think whatever the bombers say now will have nothing to do with whether they are found guilty or not. ASADA arent some small little company who will get sucked in by whatever method Essendon use. Im guessing ASADA may have given them some positive news otherwise why would they suddenly come out now with this.
I didn't read the report earlier this year nor did I listen to the SEN piece this morning however I've followed the saga and throughout it has been maintained everywhere that AOD isn't listed as being specifically banned however it is on the 'catch all list' or 's0 list' as being banned because testing hasn't been finished on it.

I find it extremely strange that Watson came out and admitted to using AOD. I can't think of why he would bring more controversy to himself and the club. He's likely been excused from the investigation and his interview/s are concluded so I assume he can say what he likes public now, but why? Confident, cocky or stupid...?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I didn't read the report earlier this year nor did I listen to the SEN piece this morning however I've followed the saga and throughout it has been maintained everywhere that AOD isn't listed as being specifically banned however it is on the 'catch all list' or 's0 list' as being banned because testing hasn't been finished on it.

I find it extremely strange that Watson came out and admitted to using AOD. I can't think of why he would bring more controversy to himself and the club. He's likely been excused from the investigation and his interview/s are concluded so I assume he can say what he likes public now, but why? Confident, cocky or stupid...?

No idea why he said it but he doesnt come across as stupid or cocky. As for your first point i thought the same thing about the catch all but as Finey and harper pointed out on SEN today why mention only that drug. There must be hundreds on the catch all. I havent read the report either but there was no reason for Harper to make it up afterall anyone can read it. it obvious now that WEatson and probably others took the drug. my question is if it is an open and shut case why havent ASADA insisted that the players are stood down from playing until resolved. That happens just about 100% when others are found to have used illegal drugs.